daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Other Emirates Projects > Northern Emirates

Northern Emirates Projects in Ras al-Khaimah, Umm al-Quwain, and Fujairah

Old February 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Ruminative

Likes (Received): 0

#ON HOLD: UAE to tap space tourism

UAE to tap space tourism

By Nasouh Nazzal, Staff Reporter

Ras Al Khaimah: The only company to have sent tourists into space has announced plans to develop a commercial spaceport in Ras Al Khaimah, from where it will operate suborbital flights.

His Highness Shaikh Saqr Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah, and the emirate's Department of Civil Aviation have granted clearance to Space Adventures Ltd to operate suborbital flights from the emirate. The project will cost $265 million (Dh975 million), officials said.

The Russian-built suborbital vehicle called Explorer will have the capacity to transport up to five people to an altitude of nearly 100km in space, but the project's schedule is yet to be announced.

The spaceport will be funded among others by the Government of Ras Al Khaimah and Space Adventures. The Virginia-based company is also partnering Ras Al Khaimah to expand the spaceport project beyond UAE to other potential space toursim locations such as Singapore and the US.

The UAE spaceport, to be located less than an hour's drive from Dubai, already has commitments for $30 million (Dh110 million).

"I am proud to announce Ras Al Khaimah as the site where commercial suborbital travel will flourish," said Shaikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ras Al Khaimah Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler. "As a leader in tourism, the UAE is the ideal location for the spaceport," said Eric Anderson, President and CEO of Space Adventures.

The company was behind the trips of the world's first three space tourists, sending Dennis Tito, Greg Oslen and Mark Shuttleworth to the International Space Station.

Last edited by 234sale; February 23rd, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Ruminative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #2
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 19

talk about diversification of the economy!
luv2bebrown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #3
Towers
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

UAE has to be the most initiative country out there.

wait a go UAE
Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #4
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 78

I honestly expected something like this to be in Dubailand though, at that space exhibition part thingy.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #5
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 19

i think they should really expand this project to make it more affordable.
this is only suborbital space travel. i wonder if they will get the means to do orbital space travel anytime soon
luv2bebrown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 21

#PROJECT-Ras Al Khaimah: UAE SPACEPORT

This is the probably more outrageous than any of the mega projects in Dubai!!

UAE to tap space tourism

Ras Al Khaimah: The only company to have sent tourists into space has announced plans to develop a commercial spaceport in Ras Al Khaimah, from where it will operate suborbital flights.

His Highness Shaikh Saqr Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah, and the emirate's Department of Civil Aviation have granted clearance to Space Adventures Ltd to operate suborbital flights from the emirate. The project will cost $265 million (Dh975 million), officials said.

The Russian-built suborbital vehicle called Explorer will have the capacity to transport up to five people to an altitude of nearly 100km in space, but the project's schedule is yet to be announced.

The spaceport will be funded among others by the Government of Ras Al Khaimah and Space Adventures. The Virginia-based company is also partnering Ras Al Khaimah to expand the spaceport project beyond UAE to other potential space toursim locations such as Singapore and the US.

The UAE spaceport, to be located less than an hour's drive from Dubai, already has commitments for $30 million (Dh110 million).

"I am proud to announce Ras Al Khaimah as the site where commercial suborbital travel will flourish," said Shaikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ras Al Khaimah Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler. "As a leader in tourism, the UAE is the ideal location for the spaceport," said Eric Anderson, President and CEO of Space Adventures.

The company was behind the trips of the world's first three space tourists, sending Dennis Tito, Greg Oslen and Mark Shuttleworth to the International Space Station.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #7
dazz

http://www.spaceadventures.com/flight/suborbital

Suborbital (Price: $102,000)
Suborbital spaceflight allows passengers to look down at the brilliant curvature of the earth and experience up to five minutes of weightlessness on a quick journey right past the edge of space.

not bad price, not at all...
dazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 7

would be cool

this is great news and will make the UAE even more famous.

Malec you can't build this in Dubailand, the technology isn't that advanced you could build a kinda ride, 'book your 12 hour space holiday now' stuff.
this does not work, you need to train and everything.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #9
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 21

if it can be built in ras al khaimah it can be built in dubailand!!
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #10
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 71

good for them....YAY!!!
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 3

logically thinking this can't be in dubailand
space stations should always be located outside a city, could be too dangerous i'd say

there is not too much around in rak, so it should be the perfect location

on the other side, we have had a lot of rubbish from rak lately, remember this 100bn dollar snow city or whatever it was?!

beware, still hope it goes through though

this will boost the uae's recognition even more
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
would be cool

this is great news and will make the UAE even more famous.

Malec you can't build this in Dubailand, the technology isn't that advanced you could build a kinda ride, 'book your 12 hour space holiday now' stuff.
this does not work, you need to train and everything.
I know that. I just expected this to be in Dubai. I remember when markmywords was talking about golf city as a project that'll make Dubai famous throughout the world. I thought it was going to be something like this. Aswell when Richard Branson visited last year I thought he might consider doing his virgin galactic thing in Dubai
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #13
farnush

wow we got it ...ehehehe amazing
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Alle

I like the sound of a "space station", but the technology is still very expensive.... and not to comfortable.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #15
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

getting serious now!

Space Adventures to develop commercial spaceport in Ras Al Khaimah

Space Adventures, Ltd., the world's leading space experiences company, has announced its plans to develop a commercial spaceport in Ras Al- Khaimah (the UAE), with plans to expand globally.
United Arab Emirates: Sunday, February 19 - 2006 at 12:03 GMT+4

Other potential spaceport locations include Asia, specifically Singapore, and North America. The total estimated cost of the global spaceport development project is at least $265 million (USD) and will be funded by various parties, along with shared investments by Space Adventures and the government of Ras Al-Khaimah. The company, which organized orbital flights for all of the world's private space explorers, also announces that His Highness Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi of Ras Al-Khaimah, along with the UAE Department of Civilian Aviation, have granted clearance to operate suborbital spaceflights in their air space.

The UAE spaceport, planned to be located less than an hour drive from Dubai, already has commitments for $30 million (USD).

"I am proud to announce Ras Al-Khaimah as the site where suborbital commercial space travel will begin and flourish. Space Adventures is
the pioneer of space tourism, which is why we signed an agreement with them nearly a year ago and began this project. After we initiate operations here, we look forward to expanding operations outside of the United Arab Emirates. In this regard, I would also like to announce that we have committed an additional $30 million (USD) of funding for global spaceport development. We are most excited about spearheading this multi-billion dollar industry," said His Highness Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Ras Al-Khaimah, United Arab Emirates.

"Because of Ras Al-Khaimah's unique airport and spaceport support facilities, His Highness' commitment to space tourism, and the close
proximity to Dubai, one of the world's leading luxury tourist destinations, makes it a choice location for spaceflight operations," said Eric Anderson, President and CEO of Space Adventures.

"As a global leader of tourism, the United Arab Emirates is an ideal location for a spaceport. Suborbital flights will offer millions of people the opportunity to experience the greatest adventure available, space travel. We are honored to partner with His Highness Sheikh
Saud," he added.

The suborbital space transportation system has been designed by Myasishchev Design Bureau, a leading Russian aerospace organization which has developed a wide-array of high performance aircraft and space systems. Explorer, as it has been named, will have the capacity to transport up to five people to space and is designed to optimize the customer experience of space travel, while maintaining the highest degree of safety.

The system consists of a flight-operational carrier aircraft, the M-55X, and a rocket spacecraft. The vehicle is designed to optimize the customer experience of space travel. "We've designed the Explorer with several exciting features that will be announced in the near future that will make the customer's experience fantastic. Additionally, the safety of the passengers is our chief aim and the Explorer will make use of several multi-redundant safety systems that we have unique experience in designing and implementing for the last 40 years," said Valery Novikov, head designer at the Myasishchev Design Bureau.

"Explorer design plans have been perfected over the years and it will be a truly remarkable system. Yesterday, we announced our fully-funded vehicle development joint venture with Prodea, a private investment firm founded by the Ansari family. Now, the manufacturing process can be completed to build a fleet of these vehicles in the near future," said Mr. Anderson. "We will not disclose the development schedule until it has been finalized but we, at Space Adventures, along with Prodea, have the utmost confidence that through our global vehicle and spaceport development projects, we will enable operations of the world's first commercial suborbital flights."

"The Department of Civil Aviation has examined and evaluated all the technical aspects and we, along with relevant federal authorities, are
supportive of the operation of commercial suborbital spaceflight in UAE air space," said Eng. Salem Bin Sultan Al Qasimi, chairman of the
Department of Civil Aviation. "We support Space Adventures' development of a spaceport at the Ras Al-Khaimah International Airport, and we view this project as a technological enhancement to the region that will bring visitors to the Emirates from around the world."

Space Adventures, the only company to have successfully launched private explorers to space, is headquartered in Arlington, Va. with
offices in Cape Canaveral, Fla., Moscow and Tokyo. It offers a variety of programs such as the availability today for orbital spaceflight
missions to the International Space Station, commercial missions around the moon, Zero-Gravity and MiG flights, cosmonaut training,
spaceflight qualification programs and reservations on future suborbital spacecrafts. The company's advisory board comprises Apollo 11 moonwalker Buzz Aldrin, shuttle astronauts Kathy Thornton, Robert (Hoot) Gibson, Charles Walker, Norm Thagard, Sam Durrance, Byron
Lichtenberg, Pierre Thuot and Skylab astronaut Owen Garriott.

Ras Al-Khaimah is the most northern of the seven emirates that form the United Arab Emirates, which also includes Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, and Fujairah. It borders Oman on its Northern and Eastern limits. It covers 1,684 sq. km, has 64 km of pristine natural coastline, and beautiful mountains on the northern boarder. Ras Al-Khaimah has witnessed massive development in recent years and now boasts one of the largest pharmaceutical firms in the region, a world-leading ceramics industry, and a burgeoning tourist sector with world-class hotels and resorts. Ras Al-Khaimah has embarked on an ambitious development program including investments in infrastructure improvement, tourism, shopping, and efforts to attract industrial and commercial enterprises. Among the most important of these endeavors is the establishment of the Ras Al-Khaimah Free Trade Zone. The Ras Al-Khaimah International Airport is rapidly expanding, and offers excellent services and facilities for all types of flight operations.
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #16
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

i'd like to see that . but it doesn't seem like a realistic project $265k = almost the price of the space ticket announced by a named american company and we are talking about the states a country that has a lead in the Space industry nevertheless, i really would like to see the birth of such an industry in the UAE.
you will hear some good news soon

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #17
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

How to sell a space station just down Emirates Road
James Mullan, Special to Gulf News

"Ras Al Khaimah, we have a problem". Hopefully the only problem that the inaugural flight from the soon to be realised Ras Al Khaimah Space Station will be minor forgot to pack the dates or the velvet cushion, ribbon and scissors for the opening ceremony on the spaceship. Pinch yourself folks, they're going to have a space station forty-five minutes up the Emirates Road.

It won't be long before families are engaging in heated discussion about whether they want to spend their weekend in the desert, in the snow or in space. That's assuming, of course, they've got the estimated $2 million each to cover the fare.

"I don't care what your mother promised, the only place in Ras Al Khaimah we're going is Wadi Bih."

Friday is family day in the Mullan household and the intrusion of work on this day is given six thumbs down. The arrival of a space station, however, announced as the lead story in this publication allowed for a little flexibility this week.

Communications strategy

How, I wondered over my coffee and croissant, would you set about devising a communications strategy for a space station?

First you need to get the right person a quick ad in Space PR Professionals or a chat with a headhunter based near Cape Canaveral should sort this one out.

Hang on a second though aren't we looking for someone who's skilled at selling a luxury proposition (space tourism) to ultra high net worth individuals (UHNWIs)? An ad in Gulf News or the local marketing press should take care of this then.

When putting together his plan, the RAK Space Station PR director will have to do all of the usual familiarising himself with the business and marketing plans, ensuring that his strategy fits within the overall plans, selling the PR strategy to his superiors, appointing a PR agency (for the record my company would love to be considered).

All fascinating stuff, but there are two areas that I'd like to focus on the audience for the programme and the launch event.

UHNWIs are notoriously difficult to reach. They're usually far too busy making money, embarking on death defying challenges or saving the world to consume traditional media.

A commercial either side of the Jerry Springer Show ain't going to do it. First we need to target celebrity UHNWIs who've shown an interest in the region Donald Trump and Richard Branson leap to mind and reach them using existing contacts.

Given that we've got them hooked with the death defying bit then we just need to find a way to activate their two other buttons.

Why not capitalise on their super-competitive nature by setting them against each other to raise as much money as is humanly possible in a 24 hour time frame. The prize is first seat on the first spaceship out of Ras Al Khaimah.

And the money will go where? Why to fund treatment in space (very common now for pharmaceutical companies) for one of the major diseases. Bingo money making, death defiance and world saving covered. Who knows we may even get a reality TV show out of it too?

With the participation of our celebrity UHNWI, worldwide press coverage of the launch is guaranteed. But it would be nice to have a local angle. A draw among residents of The Palm? It is after all one of the few manmade constructions visible from space. We would need the wordsmiths to make something suitably poetic of 'I can see my house from up here' but what a boast!

Congratulations then to the authorities in Ras Al Khaimah for engaging the imagination of anyone (and isn't that everyone) who's ever dreamed of taking on 'the final frontier' in the immortal words of Captain James T. Kirk.

In the world of the 'mega', the 'iconic' and the 'unique' they've redefined all three adjectives. May the force be with them.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #18
dubaiflyer

What an amazing project! Let's face it, there are going to be a large number of people who would want the experience of going into space in the not too far distant future. Some of them are likely to be willing to pay the price, whatever it may be.

There are certainly two considerations that support the likely success of this project. First is the number of wealthy individuals that are, or will be residents of and/ or visitors to the UAE, and second is the reliability of the weather, which at Cape Canaveral often prevents the launch of the Shuttle.

I hope the idea "takes off", for it will certainly create massive worldwide publicity. I think it has a lot more going for it than the Hydropolis underwater hotel!

Finally, the recent TV programme about the creation of the Palm projects explained that it was only because of Shaikh Mohammed's access to the only privately owned satellite that enabled the Palm shapes to be accurately formed. It is quite possible that this is just the start of a whole UAE-backed space exploration programme!
dubaiflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM   #19
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflyer
Finally, the recent TV programme about the creation of the Palm projects explained that it was only because of Shaikh Mohammed's access to the only privately owned satellite that enabled the Palm shapes to be accurately formed.
r u sure about that

imo this was just done with gps, nothing easier than that?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:57 PM   #20
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
r u sure about that

imo this was just done with gps, nothing easier than that?
No that is indeed what they said. They used GPS as well I believe. Used the satellite to take constant pictures to check it was coming up correctly and stuff.

From the ones they showed on the program it looks like it's where those awesome satallite shots came from a couple of months back .

And, woo Space Travel shall be a reality, albeit an expensive one, by the end of the decade .
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote