daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM   #361
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2696

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
http://www.monmadison.com/index.html

this is currently being developed at the corner of Monument and Madison in Mt. Vernon. There's a rendering in the banner at the top of the pages.
Nice find, Waj. It's a shame that this project won't have any retail component.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #362
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 210

Years ago there was talk about tearing the Legg Mason tower down (back then it was the USF&G Building) It was chock full of asbestos. I think the asbestos removal cost a small fortune.
Buildings with plazas like the LM building are being torn down all over the place. The lands too valuable for all that wasted space. Theya re being replaced with new buildings that reach curb to curb which increases the amount of leasable space.
DemolitionDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #363
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

I dont think the current (soon to be former) Legg tower will be demolished. Too costly. Waaay too costly.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #364
waj0527

I know there's a sports stadia development thread somewhere on this board, but I'm so freaking happy about this, I'm gonna post it here. My alma mater is finally upgrading Byrd Stadium!!!! I'm a HUGE Maryland fan. To help you all understand how cised I am about this...this is how I would feel if the final renderings of 10IH and 300EP being delivered on the same day.

Maryland's Byrd Stadium to Add Some Luxury

Wednesday, April 25, 2007; Washington Post Page E02

University of Maryland athletic officials yesterday unveiled details of a plan to add 64 luxury suites to Byrd Stadium, the first and most critical part of a proposed pay-as-you-go expansion project that would add new amenities and eventually raise the building's capacity to nearly 60,000.

The first phase of the project, which will cost the athletic department $50.8 million, will triple the size of the Tyser Tower complex on the stadium's south side and will include the new luxury suites, a larger press box, a new team store and more than 500 new mezzanine-level seats.

Construction is expected to start after the Terrapins play their final home game this season and last until just before the start of the 2010 season. A new LED video board, which is also part of the first phase of expansion, will be installed in the west end of the stadium before the start of this season.

"It is a truly exciting plan for us at Maryland," Athletic Director Debbie Yow said. "There will be something for everyone in the overall expansion, in the vision for what Byrd Stadium could be."

Revenue from a $20 million naming rights deal with Chevy Chase Bank signed last August will cover part of the cost of the Tyser Tower expansion. The remainder will be funded through a $35 million loan to the athletic department by the University System of Maryland and through private donations.

Officials plan to use the revenue from the sale of the luxury suites, which start at $40,000 apiece, to repay the loan and help fund the completion of the remaining phases of the proposed larger expansion and renovation project.

"These phases will only be initiated, and we will only seek approval for this campus, once we identify the funding sources for them," Yow said.

Those plans call for the addition of safety railings in the stadium's existing lower bowl, lowering the playing field to improve the sight lines of the first 10 rows, the addition of restrooms and concessions on the stadium's south side and chair-back seating on the second tier of seats on the north side.

The final phase of expansion calls for the construction of a two-tiered seating structure that would wrap around the stadium's west end, similar to the one that stands on the north end. Plans also include an expansion to the Gossett Football Team House and the installation of synthetic turf to replace the natural grass playing field.

Yow said the school has received 10 commitments for the luxury suites.

Terrapins Note: Cornerback Richard Taylor may be sidelined for the season, pending an examination of his injured left knee. Coach Ralph Friedgen said Taylor will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery to determine whether the anterior cruciate ligament is sprained or torn.

-- Marc Carig
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM   #365
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2696

These are the latest renderings for the proposed mixed-use towers at Guilford Ave. and Saratoga St. These are simply two of the renderings submitted to the design competition, so there's no guarantee that the towers will actually look like this. Also, the renderings provided for each tower appear to be of the same building, but they will most likely not turn out to be identical.

PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM   #366
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

that is a good looking project.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #367
waj0527

Its very modern. This could be straight out of Tokyo. Quite a contrast to baltimore's brick and mortar past. I like that.

Its good to finally see the scale of the project. Naign is serious about this. When built these towers will completely redefine baltimore's city center.

The Zenith, 10 IH, the redesign for the Four Seasons tower, the new Legg Mason propsal and now this have all been atypical Baltimore designs.
Let's hope this continues.
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #368
IMPRESARIO
★Resident Ilonggo★™

Likes (Received): 1332

Baltimore Skyline at Night
IMPRESARIO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #369
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

nice photo.
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #370
MDguy

That is an amazing proposal! Very different for Baltimore! That is GREAT! Great for Baltimore!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #371
waj0527

The following photos were captured by Huck, one of the regulars at the Baltimore Development Thread. I'm just posting them here for more to see.

Current view of Baltimore's skyline. Projects to watch out for that will completely alter this view in the coming years include: The Four Seasons Hotel and Residences at Harbor East. The new global headquarter tower for Legg Mason at Harbor East. 10 Inner Harbor, the 60 floor hotel/office/retail/residential mixed use project at the Inner Harbor, 300 East Pratt, the ~50 floor mixed use at the Inner Harbor, and the two 800 footers proposed by Naign.

Silo Point. A former grain silo being converted into residential.

The Ritz-Carlton Residences. There's water out there...somewhere.

Another view that will change soon.

The Eden...a new apartment building in Harbor East

The Vue. A condo in Harbor East.

Coming 2004...its 2007...no development.

The hulking Ritz Carlton Residences

Harbor Point. Something will happen...soon.

The Four Seasons/Legg Mason site

I forget the name of these, but they're new and are in Canton/Fells Point.

Fells Point construction. New retail/residential to come.

Center Plaza. Baltimore has made a point to revamp all municipal plazas, squares and parks.

Former Headquarters for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. being converted into apartments.

New ambulatory services center at the University of Maryland Hospital.

The Zenith and the Hilton Baltimore Convention Center

The new Hilton

New dorms at the Maryland Institute College of Art.
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #372
Exrexnotex

Likes (Received): 6

The Naign towers look amazing, i really hope they get built.

Have any of you guys heard about any proposals of what to build on the harborpoint site?
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #373
another_viet
another_viet

Likes (Received): 5

baltimore is booming!
another_viet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #374
AM Putra

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
These are the latest renderings for the proposed mixed-use towers at Guilford Ave. and Saratoga St. These are simply two of the renderings submitted to the design competition, so there's no guarantee that the towers will actually look like this. Also, the renderings provided for each tower appear to be of the same building, but they will most likely not turn out to be identical.

Competition? Is this the winner?
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #375
MDguy

Where in relation to Downtown will these new towers go?
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #376
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
Where in relation to Downtown will these new towers go?
The Naign towers are to be constructed at eastern edge of downtown Baltimore at Guilford Ave. and Saratoga St. I added a marker to this photo as a very general visual point of reference. Hope this helps.

Old June 10th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #377
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrexnotex View Post
The Naign towers look amazing, i really hope they get built.

Have any of you guys heard about any proposals of what to build on the harborpoint site?
It's a mixed use project. Retail, office, hotel, park space and IIRC residential. The later is the most controversial due to the former use of the site. Here are some renderings:

Old June 10th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #378
waj0527

Oh, and I also found this rendering of a project to be contructed on the old Saval Foods site at the corner of S. Central Ave. and E. Lombard Street. I love that this area is getting attention now. Although I'm not sure if this development at the Canal Street Malt House condos are residual holdovers from Harbor East or the start of a new trend. The latter would mean the beginning of the demise of Perkins Homes!!!

Old June 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #379
Exrexnotex

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks for the render ! i would be more interesting to see more development in that area !
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #380
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
The Naign towers are to be constructed at eastern edge of downtown Baltimore at Guilford Ave. and Saratoga St. I added a marker to this photo as a very general visual point of reference. Hope this helps.

thanks man
This is Great!