daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #381
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Think about how drastically different that picture will look in just a few years.

1) The two ~800ft. towers developed by Naign and RWN

2) '10 Inner Harbor', the 717ft. mixed use tower being developed by ARC Wheeler

3) 300 East Pratt

4) The 20-story Hilton Baltimore Convention Center Hotel may even peek through the western side of the skyline (between the 'step up' building and Bromo Seltzer)
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #382
Exrexnotex

Likes (Received): 5

The skyline is going to look pretty sweet in a few years.

Whatever happened to this project

Old June 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #383
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I actually believe that tower was supposed to start in late summer or fall. However, this thing has been on hold for quite some time and I'd be surprised if anything happened before the spring of next year. Just my guess. Anyone else heard any news on this?
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #384
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #385
waj0527

Although thats a vast improvement over the original design, I'd still like to see something better there.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #386
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i don't think it's a bad-lookin' tower. i would love to see it from a side angle.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #387
MasonsInquiries

they're really moving swiftly with this project. all the buildings on bethel street are gone.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #388
MasonsInquiries

i do believe that this project along with the canal street malthouse is the start of something special. the demolishing of the perkins homes later on is pretty eminent. it's bound to happen.
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM   #389
RavensFan0606

Likes (Received): 112

hello everyone!! What is the status on 10 Inner Harbor?? Has construction started, or when does it start?
RavensFan0606 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:46 AM   #390
waj0527

10 Inner Harbor is being redesigned and will likely be larger. Note the comments regarding 10 IH from this article about the sale of the SunTrust building in the CDB. I've hightlighted the important parts.

SunTrust Building sold for $63M
Mass. REIT wins bidding over more than 20 companies
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
June 19, 2007 6:52 PM

The SunTrust Bank building in downtown Baltimore has been sold to a Massachusetts company for nearly $63 million, adding to a flurry of recent commercial real estate investment that observers said is transforming the city’s office market.

Franklin Street Properties Corp., a real estate investment trust based in Wakefield, Mass., was one of more than 20 investors competing to purchase the 25-story office building at 120 E. Baltimore St., which sold last week. That is twice the number of bidders typically involved in such a sales offering, said Robert “Bo” Cashman, a broker with CB Richard Ellis Group Inc., the company that represented the seller, the Maryland State Pension and Retirement System.

Not only that, but all of the contenders were based in cities outside of Baltimore and would have been first-time buyers in the city, he said.

“Any investment over $60 million is a very large investment, especially in a market the size of Baltimore,” Cashman said. “I think obviously there’s been a lot of pent-up demand for high-quality real estate investments, and I think Baltimore has continued to be viewed as attractive.”

Investors have been spending their money on Baltimore office buildings at a frenzied pace this year compared to last. The sale of 10 top- and middle-tier buildings downtown had a combined value of $303 million since January, compared to just $185 million worth of sales during all of 2006, according to CB Richard Ellis.

Downtown building sales this year included 10 and 231 E. Baltimore St., the Mercantile Bank & Trust building at 2 Hopkins Plaza and 500 E. Pratt St., among other properties.

Officials with Franklin Street Properties did not return phone calls seeking comment Tuesday. But the company is apparently attracted to what it perceives as a Baltimore renaissance, according to a statement it released to announce the purchase.

“The city of Baltimore is in the midst of a broad-based renewal with new downtown housing, two new biotech campuses, expansion at all three of its downtown hospitals and new high-quality retail development, while continuing focus on its unique harbor and waterfront areas,” the statement said.

At a little less than $192 per square foot, the 327,000-square-foot SunTrust building sold for a typical price for Baltimore’s top-tier office properties located away from the Inner Harbor, according Robert Manekin, senior vice president in the Baltimore office of the Staubach Co.

A Canadian investment firm, IPC US REIT, announced in February that it would pay $73.5 million, or about $262 per square foot, for 500 E. Pratt St. But the high price was generated largely by the 12-story building’s location just across from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and its relatively young age. The office tower was built only three years ago.

“The price is appropriate for an A building in a B-plus location,” Manekin said of the SunTrust sale.

John Voneiff, a partner with Philadelphia-based development company ARCWheeler LLC, said Baltimore’s strengthening office market inspired his company to retool plans for a more-than-650-foot skyscraper it wants to build along the Inner Harbor at 414 Light St.

The company originally wanted to construct a largely residential tower, with 300 condominiums, a hotel and ground-floor retail. But ARCWheeler is slashing the number of condominium units to make room for as much as 550,000 square feet of office space, he said. The hotel and ground-floor retail would stay, along with fewer than 200 condominiums.

“We changed our minds after … studying Baltimore City, and now we think it’s one of the last great office sites,” Voneiff said of 414 Light St., which was once home to a McCormick spice plant.

The direct vacancy rate in downtown office buildings dropped to 10 percent during the first quarter of this year, down from 12.5 percent at the end of 2004, according to data from Delta Associates, a company that tracks city office markets.

ARCWheeler has received “numerous” phone calls from “big-name” companies from as far away as New York and Washington interested in opening offices in a new building overlooking Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, according to Voneiff. “It seems to us collectively that Baltimore is primed for Class A tenants,” he said. “The bottom line from ARCWheeler’s standpoint is we’re looking at our project as a one-time opportunity.”
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM   #391
RavensFan0606

So do they have any idea on when 10IH will break ground?
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #392
Briggs

Likes (Received): 0

I love this forum.... I don' tknow why this is all so interesting to me...

Ever since i've heard about 10 inner harbor awhile ago, I've just been so into Baltimore and all of it's new SKYSCRAPERS.... Is there a name for all of this kind of stuff ( architecture?)... and where can i go to school for it.

... oh yea, when is 10IH supposed to break ground??

thx
Briggs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #393
spacoli

Hello

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site. I'm amazed how many people there are here interested, involved, and knowledgeable of development in Baltimore. Wish I had found this site earlier. I recently started a blog dedicated to development taking place in Baltimore - www.baltimoregrows.com.

Stop by and check it out. Thanks.
spacoli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM   #394
erix

Hopkins renderings

Found some renderings of the new hopkins buildins currently being constructed...

Entrance

Exterior by Day

Exterior by Night

We have seen this one

Wolf Street View

enjoy !
erix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM   #395
erix

MICA "Gateway"

Well, after seeing this awesome rendering I have to say this is probably my favorite building in baltimore. Great European look and I applaud MICA for challenging the norm yet again and creating this nice little landmark everyone driving down 83 will get to enjoy.

I think I see the corner of the old firehouse on the very right edge of "Gateway", hopefully they did not have to raze it.
erix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #396
bobysayshi

so is naign towers for sure to be built or just proposed
bobysayshi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #397
bobysayshi

also has anybody herd anymore on the building 1,234 feet tall proposed by donald trump?
bobysayshi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #398
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

bobysayshi, Naing is taking his towers one at a time. As it stands right now, he's pushing the first tower through the development stages. Interestingly, he's split the first tower into two phases. The first phase will include ground-level retail and a parking garage. At the present moment, this portion is under design review. It went before the panel a short while ago, but it was rejected because the panel felt its main entrance was not grand enough. A forumer with inside information said that Naing may start construction on phase 1 by the end of the year. Phase 2 will include the mixed-use tower. This will begin construction when the market improves. Apparently, Naing held/is holding a design competition for the tower. So far the design we have seen was quite impressive in my opinion.

The second Naing tower is more or less on hold at the moment.

As for the 1,234 foot tower, well I think you already learned the answer to that one
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #399
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Nice find, erix. Those renderings look real nice. Hopkins never ceases to treat this city well. Also, welcome to the forum.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #400
RavensFan0606

i just cannot wait till around 2012 or so!!! Our skyline will be very impressive!
“Neighborhoods built up all at once change little physically over the years as a rule...[Residents] regret that the neighborhood has changed. Yet the fact is, physically it has changed remarkably little. People's feelings about it, rather, have changed. The neighborhood shows a strange inability to update itself, enliven itself, repair itself, or to be sought after, out of choice, by a new generation. It is dead. Actually it was dead from birth, but nobody noticed this much until the corpse began to smell.”