daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM   #41
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith

That's the first I've ever seen of The Pinnacle rendering. I am assuming that the silhouette to its right is Harborview Phase 3. How many stories is that supposed to be?

This is the first time I've seen all these projects laid out in one place. It's easy to forget about a lot of them.
I really like the design of Harbor Tower, but they were right to send them back to the drawing board. That tower needs to be much taller for that piece of real estate. It'll look great once it goes up though.
I'm curious as to the "final" design of phase 3, myself.

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM   #42
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

I believe Phase 3 is supposed to be 22 stories, right?

When is the Pinnacle slated to being construction?
PeterSmith está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM   #43
waj0527

Likes (Received): 471

Is the new dorm tower at MICA slated to be built at the corner of North and Mt. Royal? Im trying to imagine where they're building it, and the only parcel I can think of is at that intersection.
waj0527 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:06 AM   #44
fluffyhorse

Likes (Received): 0

It is supposed to be near North Avenue. Here is the website for it and a Sun article

http://www.rtkl.com/mica/
http://www.rtkl.com/mica/pdf/baltsun02.pdf
fluffyhorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM   #45
fluffyhorse

Rotunda Redevelopment

• A new Giant Supermarket of approximately 73,500 square feet.
• New retail shops and restaurants totaling approx. 50,000 sq. feet.
• A mix of 400 new residential apartments, condos and townhouses.
• A major redesign of the existing retail shops.
• Structured parking to accommodate all of the uses.
• Enhanced pedestrian access with new public gathering spaces.
http://grandrotunda.com/index.html

---------------------------------------------------

WaterView Overlook

119 luxury townhomes and condominiums at Middle Branch.

http://www.cimgrealestate.com/waterview.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Vistas on the Lake (Reservior Hill)

190 Market-rate Condos
6 stories above a 2-story garage structure
Ground Floor Retail

http://www.cimgrealestate.com/vistas.htm
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:16 AM   #46
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Very nice projects!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:24 AM   #47
waj0527

First, Fluffy.....you're doing a wonderful job finding renderings for projects that I've heard about but never seen before. Thanks for that.

Second, I really hope this Vistas project starts soon. The Reservoir Hill area is destined to return to its former glory. I can feel it. IMHO, the entire Eutaw Place corridor is oozing with potential. Its gonna take alot more projects like these though that bring with them amenties that will bring residents with more money to transitional neighborhoods. A Starbucks, a dry cleaners, a movie rental place, and a small drug store are just a few of the many uses for the retail space that I can think of. Aside from the current demographic, why wouldnt anyone want to live in a neighborhood adjacent to Druid Hill Park, overlooking Druid Lake AND with immediate access to the JFX. Reservior Hill is a sleeping beauty.

Im also glad to finally see renderings of the Rotunda project. I hope they enlarge the movie theater and make it a first-run multiplex.

Is that Waterview project apart of the Harbor West development?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:50 AM   #48
waj0527

Does anyone have any renderings for Superblock?
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #49
PeterSmith

I'm pretty sure the Superblock is under wraps for now. I can't even remember what the last thing I heard about the Superblock was.
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #50
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Ditto.
I really would love to see something BIG go there. Perhaps some nice retail and entertainment type venues as the main attraction.
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #51
waj0527

Well there was a rather long article in the Baltimore Sun a few weeks ago outlining the delay. According to the article, the city (the mayor in particular) and the developers to which most of the properties have been awarded are both ready to move forward. The Harry and Jeannette Weinberg Foundation, however, own some of the properties as well. The city cant move foward with the folks who are ready to move because the Weinberg properties are mixed in with the others.

The city contacted Weinberg to see if they actually wanted to developed the properties or sell them or whatever. They city has threatened to use eminent domain if they need to in order to get this project going. I really dont think this is a pipe dream and I really think the city realizes the importance of this.

Now if we can only get something of substance going with the damn Abell building.
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #52
fluffyhorse

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that Harry Weinberg's will said that they would not sell the proporties, so that allows either the Weinberg Corporation to develop it themselves, or the city to exercise emminent domain.

I think that the westside needs more anchors such as the Hippodrome, Centerpoint, and the Superblock that will lead to the smaller projects that make the entire area and downtown more cohesive.

Last edited by fluffyhorse; March 10th, 2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #53
fluffyhorse

88 condominiums, 15,000 square feet of street-level retail and a parking garage.
In a second phase of construction, three 19th-century buildings at the end of the block -- including the current and future home of Thai Landing restaurant -- will be renovated.

Canyon-Johnson Urban Funds and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc.

-----------------------------------------------
Silo Point

$150 Million investment
Owner and Developer: Silo Point, LLC

Square Footage:
Commercial: 200,000
Retail: 50,000
Office: 150,000

550 residential units
700 space parking garage

This model was in the window of their office

Last edited by fluffyhorse; March 11th, 2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #54
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyhorse

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that Harry Weinberg's will said that they would not sell the proporties, so that allows either the Weinberg Corporation to develop it themselves, or the city to exercise emminent domain.

I think that the westside needs more anchors such as the Hippodrome, Centerpoint, and the Superblock that will lead to the smaller projects that make the entire area and downtown more cohesive.
Thats exactly what the article stated Fluffy. I guess we can rest knowing that the city isnt the hold up. The BDC and the mayor are rather pissed with the Weinberg Foundation and really wants to move forward. I honestly think when this gets going, other smaller infill projects will follow suit. I mean look at the areas near the Hippodrome and Centerpoint, its really coming along. I know its not earth shattering retail, but 7-11, Dunkin Doughnuts, Maggie Moore's, Starbucks and Subway have helped liven the area up.

Call me crazy, but I really think the Westside is gonna be a very nice neighborhood. Its primed for success. I can see it when I drive by. Those wonderful buildings are just waiting to be restored and reused. All we need now is the Abell building to come online, for someone to find a new use for the Vault nightclub, but the Superblock to get going and for all those properties along Howard Street to be redone or reused. If only I had a billion dollars lying around.
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #55
PeterSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyhorse

88 condominiums, 15,000 square feet of street-level retail and a parking garage.
In a second phase of construction, three 19th-century buildings at the end of the block -- including the current and future home of Thai Landing restaurant -- will be renovated.

Canyon-Johnson Urban Funds and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse Inc.

-----------------------------------------------
Silo Point

$150 Million investment
Owner and Developer: Silo Point, LLC

Square Footage:
Commercial: 200,000
Retail: 50,000
Office: 150,000

550 residential units
700 space parking garage

This model was in the window of their office
I like that model. It makes Silo Point look really nice, and have a pretty commanding presence. That's something I never really got from it in any of the 2-D renderings.
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #56
PeterSmith

I agree. I think the Westside has a lot of potential. It already has the infrastructure to be a great neighborhood, it only needs the investment, which makes things a lot easier. How big is the Westside exactly? What are its boundaries? Also, what is the height limit on the Westside? Are there any areas that aren't affected by its proximity to the shock trauma center?
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #57
waj0527

The city defines the westide as being bounded by Charles Street to the east, MLK to the west, Pratt Street to the south and Madison Street to the north.

As for height limits, not sure of the numbers, but I doubt we'd see anything over 7-8 floors just because that'd be out of the context of the neighborhood.
Old March 11th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #58
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith
I agree. I think the Westside has a lot of potential. It already has the infrastructure to be a great neighborhood, it only needs the investment, which makes things a lot easier. How big is the Westside exactly? What are its boundaries? Also, what is the height limit on the Westside? Are there any areas that aren't affected by its proximity to the shock trauma center?
I wish we could take the West side out of potential and into actuality. As I recall it, the project was announced back in around 1998 and it was said that in 5 years, we wouldn't recognize the place. Well now 11 years hence and unfortunately I still recognize most of it. Granted that the original hype was just that, but I have the impression that some of the focus has been lost. West side has dropped back in the news, the Abell building is still a wreck, the superblock is still confused, the Abell building is still a wreck, much of Howard St is still scary and... the Abell building is still a wreck.

I'm much heartened to see Centerpoint, the Hippodrome, the old Hecht's and Stewart's looking better, the Rombro and the new buildings on lower Howard St, but somehow all this still hasn't seemed to make Howard and Eutaw Sts turn the corner. I hope to be around to walk around the are and talk about how ugly and scary is used to be.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #59
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 1

Some pf this stuff looks very nice and modern, its a shame the Ravens aren't as good as the architecture in their city.....
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #60
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Seeing all the projects outlined on this thread (at least 2/3's of which are going to be built) recalls something my Dad once said to me: if we stood my Granddad at the corner of Pratt and Light (he had been gone 30 years) he would not recognize where he was. Now if I were to stand my Dad on Federal Hill and point him northeast (he's been gone 5 years) he would not know where he was either!!

I've been around here over 50 years, and have never seen anything like this. The 70's and 80's brought slow and steady change, then we stagnated until around 2000. More has happened since then than the last 50 years put together, it seems.

Can't imagine what this place will look like in 2020!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote