daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #61
eNvision
The District

Likes (Received): 0

Baltimores growth is picking up i see, all the projects are looking great, some taller buildings downtown would make it mucch better.
eNvision no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #62
waj0527

Likes (Received): 471

I think the recent wave of high-rise development will spawn more high-rises. There are really only three undeveloped parcels in the CBD where really tall buildings can go. The trend of late has been extending the skyline primarily to the east, but also to the west. I think we'll see more talls soon.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #63
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I agree. I think 10 Inner Harbor will definately open the door of possibilities for taller towers in Baltimore. One Light Street and 300 East Pratt streets are great locations, IMO.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM   #64
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
I think the recent wave of high-rise development will spawn more high-rises. There are really only three undeveloped parcels in the CBD where really tall buildings can go. The trend of late has been extending the skyline primarily to the east, but also to the west. I think we'll see more talls soon.
What are those three parcels you're referring to, Waj? I assume 300 East Pratt is one, 1 Light Street is another.... Does the CityScape site count as a parcel?

That has always been my question about Baltimore growth - where will the growth go once downtown is fully-developed, which it is fast-approaching. If you head west, you run into height restrictions due to the hospital. Heading east or south you run into the historic neighborhoods which seem to scare off developers and shoot down anything over five feet. The same goes for the north around Mt. Vernon. It almost seems that if Baltimore is going to grow outside of the little pockets left around the waterfront, the development is going to have to zig-zag through areas that will alow it and around areas that won't. Or do you think the city will eventually bully the waterfront communities into allowing development? Any thoughts?
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM   #65
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith
What are those three parcels you're referring to, Waj? I assume 300 East Pratt is one, 1 Light Street is another.... Does the CityScape site count as a parcel?

That has always been my question about Baltimore growth - where will the growth go once downtown is fully-developed, which it is fast-approaching. If you head west, you run into height restrictions due to the hospital. Heading east or south you run into the historic neighborhoods which seem to scare off developers and shoot down anything over five feet. The same goes for the north around Mt. Vernon. It almost seems that if Baltimore is going to grow outside of the little pockets left around the waterfront, the development is going to have to zig-zag through areas that will alow it and around areas that won't. Or do you think the city will eventually bully the waterfront communities into allowing development? Any thoughts?
Re: Three CBD parcels...I didnt count the area for the CityScape tower. I counted 1 Light St., 300 E. Pratt and the Conway St. site adjacent to the Convention Center. I guess there are really four of them as I forgot all about the former site of the Maryland Casualty Building (the current parking lot at 220-230 East Baltimore Street).

As for your second question, I think after the Baltimore Zoning Code is revised in the next few months, we'll start to see more development in more areas and perhaps the growth will continue throughout the city. Mixed-use seems to be a relatively new concept to Baltimore neighborhoods outside of downtown. I have a feeling that the new zoning laws will allow Baltimore to realize its full potential in many neighborhoods outside of downtown/midtown.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM   #66
waj0527

No renderings yet, but this article outlines whats to come at the State Center complex in midtown. This transit oriented development will include office space, residential offerings, and retail/entertainment space. SBER (which has a great track record in several city neighborhoods i.e. Canton, Mt. Vernon, the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, etc.) is the developer. I honestly think we can expect something B-I-G....think Harbor East without some of the height.
-------------------------------------------

$800M Mixed-Use Project Will Replace State Offices
By Barbra Murray
Last updated: March 22, 2006 07:41am

BALTIMORE-Plans for the redevelopment of the State Center office complex move forward. Maryland officials have selected Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse to transform what the Department of General Services describes in an RFQ as “an underutilized 25-acre state-owned site” into a mixed-use property.

SBER will head up a team that will convert the transportation-centered property--which is currently home to five buildings totaling 700,000 sf--in a multi-phased endeavor that will cost an estimated $800 million to complete. McCormack Baron Salazar and Doracon Development are also part of the SBER team.

Home to a handful of government agencies for the last 45 years, State Center sits about one mile from the city’s Inner Harbor and is surrounded by Metro stations, bus lines and light rail access. Seeking to create a transit-oriented live-work-play atmosphere, the SBER team is planning a complex with an as yet undetermined amount of office and retail space, residential offerings and parking.

“The state had the big and bold thinking to not do the obvious and stay with just office space and surface parking,” SBER’s Bill Struever tells GlobeSt.com. “This is a catalytic development that will crate a new mixed-income neighborhood linking downtown to West Baltimore, making this area a part of the revitalization that has been happening in other parts of the city.”

The project is still in the early stages so the specifics are not yet in place. Colliers will handle office leasing, SBER will oversee retail leasing and architectural firm Design Collective is on board to handle the project’s design. “Community input is a critical part of this effort,” the Maryland Department of Transportation’s Jack Cahalan tells GlobeSt.com. Seven neighborhood communities will work with the state and the private developers on the master plan to take the last 15 months of the vision process and translate that into hard details of what should be there and what, realistically, can be there.”
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #67
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Is there anything else going on? Anymore project news or updates? I'm really excited about this latest boom in Baltimore. The 10 Inner Harbor is certainly a step in the right direction. I'm tired of seeing 24 story buildings. Baltimore is a world-class city and needs 60, 70, 80 story buildings to go up.
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #68
waj0527

Sdeclue, these are the MAJOR projects going on right now in the city. For more info on some of the smaller infill projects or just to find out the daily development goings-on in Baltimore, visit the Baltimore Development threads in the Northeast Regional forum.

We could see more 60-floor buildings in the near future, but as hot as Baltimore's real estate market is right now...it's not yet at the point where developers are forced to go up 80, 90 floors from the ground in order to make a profit. Maybe in the future though esp. since the office and retail space demand is starting to exceed the supply. Mixed-use is new in Baltimore (well....relative to New York, Washington, et al who have been mixing residential, office and retail for decades).
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #69
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

this is a little off topic but i've been looking at statistics and baltimore apparently has a high crime rate. i was wondering if you guys could shed a little light on the subject. which neighborhoods are safe(r)? is it safe to live in the downtown area?

I am moving to baltimore in a few months and this would be really helpful. thanks!!

oh, and i just love the inner harbor area. it played a big part in my decision to move to baltimore.
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #70
sdeclue

Baltimore is the 2nd most dangerous city behind Detroit. Things can pretty much happen anywhere, even in the downtown area, but most of those incidents are isolated. Crime has gone down, or so they tell us, but homicide numbers have been pretty consistent the last few years. Most neighborhoods in the downtown area are fairly safe like Federal Hill, Fells Point, Canton, etc. Also there are some nice places in North Baltimore up by some of the private high schools that are pretty safe.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #71
sdeclue

Thanks for the info Waj. I hope they get construction under way on 10 Inner Harbor as soon as possible. Also, has anyone heard anything about Pier6? I heard they were going to completely rebuild an outstanding summer concert venue there that would bring huge acts and be very nice. Along the same lines, any word on the possibility of a new arena in Baltimore? We need one so bad. Aerosmith said it was the worst place they played in back in 1978. A new arena would bring a ton of concerts and other entertainment and hopefully an NBA team back to Baltimore. We are too huge of a basketball city not to have an NBA team.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #72
waj0527

I think its something like 93% of all violent crime in Baltimore includes people with a pre-existing relationship with the legal system. Basically...insofaras you arent selling drugs or murdering people yourself, you'll be fine.

Downtown is very safe. As an aside....its also very pricey. Waterfront home start at about $1 million and go upwards to $5-6 million (ultra-high end i.e. Ritz, Four Seasons, etc). If you dont mind living a few blocks away from the water, then you can find something in the mid-$300s/mid-$800, etc.
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #73
fluffyhorse

Life Science + Technology Park @ Johns Hopkins - 855 North Wolfe Street

First building in Hopkins biopark

http://www.forestcityscience.net/doc..._Baltimore.pdf

Printers Square Apartments (Mount Vernon)
Historic Renovation of firehouse and 3 surrounding buildings
60 Apartments and courtyard

http://www.archplan.com/pdf/Printers20Sq.pdf

Station North Townhomes

McHenry Pointe

The Aliceanna (Fells Point)

http://www.archplan.com/pdf/aliceanna.pdf

Lombard Court (Washington Hill)

http://www.ruppertobrien.com/robasse...0Developer.pdf

Last edited by fluffyhorse; September 8th, 2006 at 02:59 AM. Reason: ********************
fluffyhorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #74
fluffyhorse

Broadway Overlook (Washington Hill)166 Units
http://www.broadwayoverlook.com/

Albermarle Square (Jonestown)338 Housing Units

Camden Crossing (Pigtown/Washington Village)150 Housing Units

http://www.camdencrossing.com

Moorings at Canton

fluffyhorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #75
CeC
hljd

Likes (Received): 930

Very nice!
CeC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #76
waj0527

As an aside, the Moorings at Canton are REALLY nice. A co-worker bought an end unit and had some of us over for drinks. Talk about nice..the two elevators are a plus as well. I know its tacky, but I was really interested to see how much they paid. Realtor.com has an end unit listed at $1.9 million. Wow.
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #77
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
Thanks for the info Waj. I hope they get construction under way on 10 Inner Harbor as soon as possible. Also, has anyone heard anything about Pier6? I heard they were going to completely rebuild an outstanding summer concert venue there that would bring huge acts and be very nice. Along the same lines, any word on the possibility of a new arena in Baltimore? We need one so bad. Aerosmith said it was the worst place they played in back in 1978. A new arena would bring a ton of concerts and other entertainment and hopefully an NBA team back to Baltimore. We are too huge of a basketball city not to have an NBA team.
Good questions. Pier 6 is actually the subject of much political strife in Baltimore right now. The city award a development contract submitted by Cordish Co. who partnered with Bethel AME...a huge African-American church. Well, now people say the city only selected the plan so that Martin O. can get the Bmore black vote in his quest to run the State House. Here's an article:

Quote:
Cordish Development Team Selected to Refurbish/Manage Pier Six Concert Pavilion

Baltimore, MD (January 12, 2006) – Today, the Baltimore Development Corporation (BDC) and Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) announced, on behalf of the City of Baltimore, that the development team led by The Cordish Company, in partnership with Infinity Broadcasting, Rams Head Tavern and Bethel AME Church, has been selected to refurbish and manage the Pier Six Concert Pavilion in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. BDC will enter into an Exclusive Negotiating Privilege (ENP) with the developer.

The Cordish Development Team will enhance the existing Pier Six Concert Pavilion to create an entertainment facility that includes improvements to internal and external aesthetics, food and beverage operations and acoustics. The team plans to increase the number of concerts and add diverse events on non-concert dates.

“The setting for the Pier Six Concert Pavilion is one of the most beautiful in the United States for an outdoor live entertainment venue, and the Cordish Development Team’s proposal offered the best plan to bring new life and energy to that facility,” said BDC President M.J. “Jay” Brodie. “With an experienced development team that has expertise in management, marketing and promotions, the Pier Six Concert Pavilion will once again be a premier attraction at the Inner Harbor.”

In March 2005, BDC and BOPA issued a Request for Proposals for the improvement, management and promotion of the outdoor performance venue. BDC received two proposals in response to the RFP: one from the Cordish Development Team; the other from H&S Properties Development Corporation, Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse, Inc. and Doracon Contracting, Inc., which proposed replacing the existing Pier Six Concert Pavilion with a new entertainment facility at Harbor Point.

“Baltimore deserves a first-class, live entertainment venue on its waterfront, and we’re thrilled to be leading a great team with Rams Head and Infinity that’s going to deliver on this,” said Cordish Company Chairman David S. Cordish. “This will be a reborn Pier VI that’s

a true regional draw.”

The Pier Six Concert Pavilion, a tensile structure built in 1981 and substantially renovated in 1991 as a permanent facility, has played host to some of the biggest names in the entertainment business, from rock to jazz and from R&B to classical, while providing concert goers with a panoramic view of Baltimore’s world famous Inner Harbor. The pavilion, which is surrounded on three sides by water, is located at the end of Pier 6. To the east, across the lower Jones Falls Channel, is the Marriott Waterfront Hotel; the Pier 5 Hotel is to the west. To the north are a surface parking lot and the Columbus Center. The pavilion is within walking distance of more than 4,000 hotel rooms and dozens of museums and attractions clustered around the Inner Harbor, such as Harborplace, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, the Maryland Science Center,

Power Plant and Power Plant Live, Harbor East and the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture.

The concert pavilion averaged 24 public shows per season in the past 10 years with a high of 32

shows in 1995. In 2004, the total number of paid attendees was approximately 30,000 with an average per show of 1,800 people. The most commonly booked music genres (in order) over the past 10 years have been: pop/soft rock, R&B, country, alternative/folk, blues, jazz/contemporary, world, comedy and classic/orchestral.

###
As for the arena......

I dont know if many people remember this, but the city submitted RFPs for a new arena. They said they were only interested in having an arena with a seating capacity smaller than what is required for an NBA/NHL team. Intially, I though tit was the most stupid thing ever, then I realized...the new building is whats important. Additional seats can be installed later. I havent heard anything about that since. We sorely need a new arena though. I'd prefer it NOT be rebuilt on the same plot as 1st Mariner Arena. Although a new arena on that site could help further promote development on the Westside.
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #78
sdeclue

Thanks for the info. I think it's kinda hard to add seats to an arena though as opposed to an outdoor venue like a baseball or football stadium. Hopefully the whole Pier 6 thing gets figured out soon because that's a great asset for Baltimore. I also hope there aren't too many projects in the city that are looking to create too much greenspace. I heard they are trying to increase the greenspace and while some parks and such are nice, we need that land for further development.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:17 AM   #79
sdeclue

I actually kinda like the first mariner building. It has a real presence right by I-95. I'm really excited about the building at 300 E Pratt. That looks very nice. I'm disappointed in the Ritz Carlton development. I don't understand why they would use up such a huge chunk of prime real estate right near the Inner Harbor for that. I would have wanted to see a lot of towers there.
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM   #80
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I also hope there aren't too many projects in the city that are looking to create too much greenspace. I heard they are trying to increase the greenspace and while some parks and such are nice, we need that land for further development.
Well...park space is rather important and without it, I doubt many families would want to relacate to city neighborhoods. For environmental reasons, quality of life reasons, and aesthetics. I actually like the fact that Baltimore is focusing on park space in the city.

Right now there are several 'green space' projects going on in the city.

The War Memorial Plaza has just under gone a major overhaul and while its not the most inviting thing, its certainly better than the homeless havent that was there before.

Below are the plans for Center Plaza, a current concrete wasteland that will be transformed into a great greenspace for neighborhood residents as well as office workers, people using the adjacent transit center, students at Hopkins' downtown center and tourists staying at nearby hotels.

West Shore Park is probably the biggest (and most expensive) green space project taking place right now. It should be ready for the Volvo Ocean Race later this year.

A park is slated to be included at Harbor Point

Also currently under-construction is the Mount Vernon Childrens Park on Calvert Street.