daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM   #81
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I like the idea of the West Shore park. I have been excited about that and am looking forward to its completion. I'm also very happy with what they are doing with the War Memorial Plaza because something had to be done there. I think the park on Harbor Point would be better served for some combination of buildings, IMO.
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM   #82
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

thanks sdeclue and waj for the info. i'm graduating in may so i have some way to go before I can afford an expensive waterfront condo..hehe..

i'm going to be renting...at least for the next few years....and that isn't cheap either.....
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #83
sdeclue

Found this article from The Sun this morning. It warns that there may be too many condos for too little demand by sometime next year and that many projects may not be built. Hopefully this isn't the case.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...home-headlines
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #84
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyhorse
Broadway Overlook (Washington Hill)166 Units
Moorings at Canton

For some reason I really love this photo.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:31 AM   #85
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
Found this article from The Sun this morning. It warns that there may be too many condos for too little demand by sometime next year and that many projects may not be built. Hopefully this isn't the case.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...home-headlines
I wouldn't worry too much about that article. They really didn't say anything conclusive. Plus, Baltimore can and will absorb these new proposed, approved and under construction projects without a bit of a problem. In fact I know there will be a WHOLE LOT MORE coming than we see now. Plus the Baltimore market for class A office space is starting to heat up a bit.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM   #86
waj0527

Likes (Received): 472

I think lots of people look at very general national housing trends when they write these very specific articles. Even as the national housing market (and even the local market) cools off a bit, Baltimore has TWO positives on which it can hang its hat....affordablity and location.

Currently if you want a waterfront (prime) property in Baltimore, you're gonna start in the $1 million range. Waterfront living in Washington or New York or Boston is gonna cost you a bit more...Baltimore's prices have yet to catch up to other cities in the NE and if you want to live near resturants, museums, professional sporting stadia and urban life in general, you'd get the same thing living in downtown Baltimore and save a few dollars in the process.

Baltimore's other positive is its location. Its proximity to Washington lets lots of people live in one city and work in the other or vice-versa. Baltimore's already its on city with its own metro identity, so its not like its a bedroom community for Washington. Developers know that if you build in Baltimore...they will come...from the wealthy suburbs to the north and Washington and its suburbs. Baltimore has yet to realize its potential IMHO. It's real estate market wont cap off for quite some time.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM   #87
sdeclue

I like that Westin Center building so much more than the Hilton they are building. 20 stories just doesn't seem like enough to me for that piece of land. I also wish the Zenith were a bit taller.
Old April 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #88
waj0527

1 East Redwood Street
Adaptive Reuse of a former office building into luxury Condos
Located in CBD...Slated to be delivered Spring 2007.

Old April 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #89
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Like I've said before, "I like it!"
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #90
sdeclue

Very nice. Where and how do you find out about these projects? I mean, I read the Sun every day so I see a bunch of them in there but a project like the East Redwood Street isn't in there. I'd kinda like to contribute to finding some of these projects.
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #91
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

The more and MORE you read all the different articles online at the Sun, Baltimore Business Journal, Md Daily Record and now the Examiner, you're eyes will become trained to pick up those articles that you may have missed in the past. Repetition.
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #92
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
Very nice. Where and how do you find out about these projects? I mean, I read the Sun every day so I see a bunch of them in there but a project like the East Redwood Street isn't in there. I'd kinda like to contribute to finding some of these projects.
Like Steven said....its kinda just something my eye is sort of used to looking out for. I actually saw a sign announcing this project while driving on Charles Street. I made a mental note...and checked it out. I read online articles a lot. When I come into work every morning...I grab a cup of coffee, check out whats going on with my favorite sport teams, read Baltimoresun.com and check out various message boards. I like to ease into my day. Some days you find something new...some days you dont.

You'd really impress me if you can find out ANYTHING about the boutique hotel under-construction at Camden Yards. A rendering, a devloper, the operator....something. lol.
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #93
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
Like I've said before, "I like it!"
I think its ok. Im not too keen on the idea of residences smack in the middle of the CBD, but at least its replacing something thats under used with a building thats gonna add life and retail to that neighborhood. I probably wouldnt want to live there...because you're on a bit of an island. But if the price is right, I can see how that area would be attractive.

As a related aside, I really hope they convert the Mechanic Theater into a first-run theater with a significant retail component that will support area residents. If its done right, it can be a hub for everyone who lives in buildings on the eastern most edge of the Westside (including the Rombro Lofts, Camden Court Apartments, Centerpoint and even the Atrium) as well as for residents of buildings in the CBD (Charles Towers, etc) and of course the developer can make a ton off of the workers in the Federal Building and the high rises enclosing that plaza.
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #94
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
I think its ok. Im not too keen on the idea of residences smack in the middle of the CBD, but at least its replacing something thats under used with a building thats gonna add life and retail to that neighborhood. I probably wouldnt want to live there...because you're on a bit of an island. But if the price is right, I can see how that area would be attractive.

As a related aside, I really hope they convert the Mechanic Theater into a first-run theater with a significant retail component that will support area residents. If its done right, it can be a hub for everyone who lives in buildings on the eastern most edge of the Westside (including the Rombro Lofts, Camden Court Apartments, Centerpoint and even the Atrium) as well as for residents of buildings in the CBD (Charles Towers, etc) and of course the developer can make a ton off of the workers in the Federal Building and the high rises enclosing that plaza.
Well, having those residents there adds more foot traffic to the area, that's the main reason I really like it. Now add the cityscape and one light street projects and we have some good foot activity going on those streets.
As for the Mechanic, yeah, it would be nice if a movie venue or something like it would go there to entertain and educate the locals in that particular area of the city.
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #95
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
As a weekly movie and theater goer, I would love to have another venue. The Mechanic building isn't suitable for anything else and is already equipped with restaurant space and retail spaces. It appears that Clear Channel was awarded a virtual monopoly on musical theater in the Hippodrome but that's not to say that an enterprising person couldn't make a go at a combined music/theater/movie venue at the Mechanic. Given that the Charles Theater has become a venue that stimulated that entire area in "Penn North", why not here? The operator of the Afgan Kabob place across the street will probably need a new space when his restaurant becomes a parking structure and residents of the upcoming condos in the area will need something to do. I'll be there buying tickets. Given that the owner is paying taxes and getting nothing at this point, anything would be better than the current state
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #96
waj0527

The owner of the parking garage below the Mechanic is the developer too, right?
Old April 11th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #97
sdeclue

I was on the BDC site and they had the Zenith being completed by 7/1/06. That has to be a mistake and mean 2007. Also there were 8 proposals for Pig Town/Mount Washington submitted, which is great that so many companies are interested in that area.
Old April 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #98
sdeclue

Also, what's the deal with that one building on Light Street? I haven't see any renderings of it on the site but there is something on the BDC site about it. It looks like a very interesting 30 story tower.
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #99
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
The owner of the parking garage below the Mechanic is the developer too, right?
That's what I heard. They bought the hulk from the foundation that owned it before the theater went dark. I believe that there has been talk about a partnership with the Charles Theater owners and the Karzai brother who owns Tapas Theatra
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #100
fluffyhorse

Likes (Received): 0

Cityscape (Calvert/Mercer/Lombard)

Developer Mark Sapperstein
Total Project Investment $71,000,000 estimate

Total Square Footage 400,000
Retail 6,500

Residential Units 300
Parking Spaces 542

http://baltimoredevelopment.com/proj...cd=Mixed%20Use