daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #121
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
Thanks for the comtribution Fitch and Welcome!!!!

Here's renderings of what Fitch found.

Another view of Vistas on the Lake
Market Rate Condos at Druid Hill Lake Drive

The Station at Fells Point (1621 Bank Street)
Market rate condos at the corner of Bank St. and Broadway

The Residences at Lexington Market
Market-rate condos and townhomes above Lexington Market garage

WOW! Love these developments! Thanks waj! Thanks Fitch!

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #122
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Love to see these mixed in with the over all skyline!
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #123
FITCH

Likes (Received): 0

I here the city is doing away with section 8 housing, Public housing. It seems as if the County is moving to Baltimore and Baltimore is moving to the county because of this. Has anybody heard of the proposed high speed Washinton/ Baltimore train that will connect us to NYC in something like a half of an hour??? Any renderings of anything right next to Penn Station. If I had the money I would go vertical in that area. Any renderings of Westport I know this is a Pat Turner development. Any renderings of the 200 million dollar marine research center? I hear Ruppert homes is also doing a large project in this area.
FITCH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM   #124
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Hadn't heard much on the "West Port" development in a while.
The "maglev" is what I think you are talking about, FITCH. It's not decided yet.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:14 AM   #125
waj0527

Likes (Received): 483

Isnt there a development under construction in Westport as we speak? Wait...Harbor West and Westport are the same general location, right?
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM   #126
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
Isnt there a development under construction in Westport as we speak? Wait...Harbor West and Westport are the same general location, right?
yep. well, actually middle branch and westport together have developed the new name of harbor west.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:52 AM   #127
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

What development is under construction in Westport?
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM   #128
waj0527

Its called:

Waterview Overlook at Harbor West

Located on the scenic Middle Branch River, at the center of the newly-designated ‘Harbor West’, WaterView Overlook will redefine luxury waterfront living in Baltimore. The completed development will boast spectacular views of downtown and the harbor, and will consist of 119 luxury townhomes and condominiums. Amenities will include a private clubhouse, fitness center, swimming pool, secure entrance, garage parking, and much more.

With its close proximity to Ravens Stadium, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, I-95, commuter rail, and the Inner Harbor, WaterView Overlook will combine the ultimate in urban excitement with the tranquility and luxury of premium waterfront living. Sales for this premier waterfront development will begin in June of 2005!
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM   #129
sdeclue

Looks nice, but I thought there was talk of several towers over 500 feet going in there?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:40 AM   #130
sdeclue

It also looks a bit too country clubish for the city.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM   #131
FITCH

Towers yes not to exceed 500 ft. Plans call for a mall where they currently service the governments autos. The towers will be where the old carr lowrey glass factory and BGE buildings are ( Carr Lowrey has been demolished) WaterView is across from the marina. I hear there are plans for a high rise where the Hechts warehouse sits. This is all waterfront. Now talking about the inner harbour is Patarakis going to move the H&S Factories I hear to the county at some time soon?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #132
FITCH

WAJ or StevenW, Do you have site with all renderings or do you think you could post one on here. I work from a remote location and only have dial up. It takes a very long time to scoll though all seven pages here to look at all the renderings??
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:33 AM   #133
sdeclue

I thought I heard the towers would exceed 500 feet. If that's not the case, I'm not happy with all the scaling back on towers of late. The Icon also was scaled back as was the Zenith and the Hilton at one point, though the latter 2 may be due to height restrictions because of shock trauma. As far as a mall, it would be awesome to have a world class, huge mall somewhere in the city, maybe in the canton crossing development that Hale says would be an upscale Inner Harbor. We have the Gallery but it isn't very big, although it is very nice.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:37 AM   #134
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITCH
WAJ or StevenW, Do you have site with all renderings or do you think you could post one on here. I work from a remote location and only have dial up. It takes a very long time to scoll though all seven pages here to look at all the renderings??
I would go to the www.baltimoredevelopment.com website and check out their "development" page.
An example of what you will find there:

701 East Baltimore Street
The "Cordish" Tower. Probably around 400 ft. tall.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:40 AM   #135
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I thought I heard the towers would exceed 500 feet. If that's not the case, I'm not happy with all the scaling back on towers of late. The Icon also was scaled back as was the Zenith and the Hilton at one point, though the latter 2 may be due to height restrictions because of shock trauma. As far as a mall, it would be awesome to have a world class, huge mall somewhere in the city, maybe in the canton crossing development that Hale says would be an upscale Inner Harbor. We have the Gallery but it isn't very big, although it is very nice.
500 was the height limit although I do think I heard them say if the towers were more set back and slender they COULD go to 600 ft.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #136
sdeclue

Haha ok 600 feet excites me. I'm far more excited by slender talls than I am by 400 foot buildings with a lot of width. The city needs more talls that are sleek. Anyway I'm trying to envision the skyline once the Water tower, Zenith, Hilton, Harbor East and some of Canton Crossing is finished. Are there any renderings that show the skyline from a distance that include any projects currently under construction?
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #137
sdeclue

I think it would look nice to have a lot of tall buildings looming over I-83. I think that would look very impressive for anyone driving south from the north part of the city.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #138
waj0527

Impressive? Yes. Practical? No. Of course the JFX would look better with talls and supertalls looming over it. That'd be great, but lets face it. From a real estate standpoint, Baltimore just isnt there yet.

Outside of the CBD (and environs) there's really no financial sense in building up (over 10-12 stories). Baltimore isnt like New York or Chicago where in order to make a profit, developers have to go up high enough to get enough tenents to make it worth your while.

I'd love to see more talls in Baltimore, but we better be careful what we wish for. We dont want to become a Dubai or any other city with wonderfully tall buildings, but no streetlife. Honestly, I'd rather see neighborhoods like Harbor West and Station North and Greektown and the Westside and the neighborhoods surrounding Johns Hopkins' and UM's Biotech Parks and all other rebounding neighborhoods thrive before a 700 footer gets built anywhere in the city.

Baltimore is in an extremely unique position. With 10-20 years of good development (and yes, there is IMHO a difference between good and bad development), we can totally change our national (and international) reputation or we can squander this 'rebirth' and be known as the shitty city with lots of tall (empty) buildings.

I think if city planners handle this the right way and get people into the city, the need for 700 ft. buildings will present itself.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #139
sdeclue

Yeah I completely agree with that. So far I think the rebirth of the city is, all in all, being handled very well.
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #140
bjfan82

Likes (Received): 1

I want to reach through my computer screen and punch all you Baltimore forumers because I am so jealous of your waterfront and all the cool development going on there. Downtown B-more looks sweet lit up at night on the water.