daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #141
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Thanks. The key is to continue to develop more great things along the waterfront and then hopefully the CBD and places even outside of that area really begin to prosper as well.
sdeclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #142
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 10

i don't know much aboiut the urban beach in chicago but would it be possible to duplicate one in bmore? Also is it in dtown chicago?
vivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #143
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo
i don't know much aboiut the urban beach in chicago but would it be possible to duplicate one in bmore? Also is it in dtown chicago?
Baltimore's harbor is upstream from the Chesapeake Bay in a slow moving estuary and is mainly fed from the Jones Falls, which isn't anybody's idea of swimmable water. I think we will have to settle with lots of suburban areas in Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties where you can touch the water. You can put a boat in the water in downtown Baltimore without it dissolving but I would try anything more exposed than that.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #144
sdeclue

This place is dead.
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #145
fluffyhorse

Likes (Received): 0

Another Rendering!

Silo Point

fluffyhorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #146
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando
Baltimore's harbor is upstream from the Chesapeake Bay in a slow moving estuary and is mainly fed from the Jones Falls, which isn't anybody's idea of swimmable water. I think we will have to settle with lots of suburban areas in Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties where you can touch the water. You can put a boat in the water in downtown Baltimore without it dissolving but I would try anything more exposed than that.
One of the wackier ideas came from a charrette back in the early 80s – where a “beach” was proposed for the Inner Harbor. It was imagined to occupy the strip of land between the World Trade Center and Pier Three (it’s that area of green grass where the steel sculpture stands).

There were all types of renderings, including studies of how to grade white sand into the harbor creating a nice wide beach, and contain the water within “attractive barriers” (as Scando points out, the water was/is so dirty, I guess the barriers were designed to keep the oil slicks from dirtying the sand, and people).

The beach idea was released around the same time as a couple of other bizarre proposals. I can’t remember which of the local newspapers even had an article about the beach: I think it was either The Evening Sun or News American. If anyone has access to proposal photos, please post. At that time, it’s one of those proposals I never took seriously, and now regret not having any details.

(Of course don’t forget the hoax advertising a new underwater shopping mall for the Inner Harbor. They actually had radio commercials encouraging shoppers to come downtown before the mall sailed away. I’m being serious.)
Eerik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #147
sdeclue

I really am not excited about Silo's point at all. They should have just torn that old thing down and built something nice and new there.
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #148
waj0527

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik
One of the wackier ideas came from a charrette back in the early 80s – where a “beach” was proposed for the Inner Harbor. It was imagined to occupy the strip of land between the World Trade Center and Pier Three (it’s that area of green grass where the steel sculpture stands).

There were all types of renderings, including studies of how to grade white sand into the harbor creating a nice wide beach, and contain the water within “attractive barriers” (as Scando points out, the water was/is so dirty, I guess the barriers were designed to keep the oil slicks from dirtying the sand, and people).

The beach idea was released around the same time as a couple of other bizarre proposals. I can’t remember which of the local newspapers even had an article about the beach: I think it was either The Evening Sun or News American. If anyone has access to proposal photos, please post. At that time, it’s one of those proposals I never took seriously, and now regret not having any details.

(Of course don’t forget the hoax advertising a new underwater shopping mall for the Inner Harbor. They actually had radio commercials encouraging shoppers to come downtown before the mall sailed away. I’m being serious.)
LOL @ the wacky 1980s.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #149
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I really am not excited about Silo's point at all. They should have just torn that old thing down and built something nice and new there.
I have to disagree with you sdeclue. One of the things that makes adaptive reuse projects so great is that it preserves the character of the city. I think the developers, when they finally get started with the renovation, will do a great job with that building. Its projects like Silo Point and other adapt-reuse projects like it that make cities interesting. If we started from scratch everytime something was built we'd be a lot like Dubai. Sure its new, supertalls look great, but there's really nothing unique about it. Just my $.02.
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #150
tybalt

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to post photos? for some reason my posting rules say I can't post attachments...Cheers.
tybalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #151
waj0527

^Depends....if you're using a pic thats already online, simply copy the URL and paste it between this tag [img][/img]

If its a pic thats on your computer, then you have to find a site to host your pic i.e. photobucket.com, etc. and then use that URL and follow the steps above.

Hope this helps.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #152
waj0527

While heading to the Baltimore Waterfront Festival last night, I stopped to take a few pics of the goings-ons in Charles Village and Station North.

Charles Village

This whole block is on its last leg. Only a matter of weeks before this building and these rowhomes are demolished to make room for a 10-story condo building.

Station North Arts District

Construction at the Station North Townhomes

Printers Mill Apartments/Firehouse adaptive-reuse

Old April 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #153
Cerises
99% Angel

Likes (Received): 371

Nice projects!
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #154
DCKenny

There are a lot of projects coming to Baltimore!!
DCKenny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #155
cityman1100
A true Washingtonian...

Likes (Received): 1

I'm glad to see that Bmore is coming up, now I might actually might have a reason to get on the BW Parkway!
cityman1100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #156
jpreston02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I'm going to have to disagree with you sdeclue as well. Living in Locust Point I can tell you that had the building been demolished, all the developer would have been allowed to build would have been more McHenry Point townhomes. Like Waj said, reuse has the potential to maintain the historical significance while still building luxury.

I'm giving a lot of leeway here to the architect because I still question whether or not they should have just taken all of the silos down. But again, they're reusing the remaining ones in the new building. So while my final verdict is not in yet, I'm excited at the transformation of the site and encouraged by the continued adaptive resuse of both Tide Point as well as Silo Point's old ADM grain elevator.
jpreston02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #157
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityman1100
I'm glad to see that Bmore is coming up, now I might actually might have a reason to get on the BW Parkway!
Haha....I find it most interesting that lots of Washingtonians fail to venture north and that an equal number of Baltimoreans fail to venture south to Washington. Both cities have many things to offer. Honestly, having the amenties of two major cities is a huge advantage to living in the Baltimore-Washington metro. If you miss a concert in Baltimore, it'll be in DC tomorrow. Museums, resturants, bars tourist attractions, everything is so much easier living in this area. Plus...its a sports lovers dream. Wanna see a NFL game....you've got two franchises to choose from. We've got NBA, major NCAA Hoops and football, two MLB franchises, MLS and MISL...its all here.

Baltimore-Washington is bested only by the NYC, LA and Chicago metros in my mind.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #158
sdeclue

Maybe I'll like it more once it's refurbished and ready to go. I think I'd take Baltimore-DC over just about every metro. On top of all the stuff you already mentioned, the fact that Washington is in essence the most important city in the country really vaults our metro area up past every other area. That said, I like Baltimore way more than DC.
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #159
sdeclue

By the way, thanks for the pictures Waj. I really love those projects shown above. Those townhouses should be great.
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #160
tybalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
^Depends....if you're using a pic thats already online, simply copy the URL and paste it between this tag [img][/img]

If its a pic thats on your computer, then you have to find a site to host your pic i.e. photobucket.com, etc. and then use that URL and follow the steps above.

Hope this helps.
Thanks waj0527, I've got photo's on my computer that I'd like to post...
But this shows at the bottom of my screen: