daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #41
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

ohh wow that's sound great

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #42
Service Lift Attendant

Likes (Received): 0

Boston needs to be going for different shapes, textures, and colors in its skyscrapers. Height for its own sake shouldn't be a desirable factor. Boston is very claustrophobic at street level, and you can see more sky in New York or Chicago: height isn't a terribly attractive prospect for many Bostonians. Having a 70-80 storey tower downtown won't make Boston a better city in which to live or work, and it won't attract new business. This is a very cosmetic and superficial guesture on Menino's behalf when taken at face value.

However, perhaps Menino is making this bold guesture to try to blow open the resistance to height in Boston. If that is his strategy, then I applaud Menino. Boston is remarkably dense: if people can't deal with that and want to live in a fantasy 19th century version of Boston then they should either move to Portland, ME Northampton, MA or Burlington VT or work on their Time Travelling skills.
Service Lift Attendant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM   #43
BostonSkyGuy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Lift Attendant
However, perhaps Menino is making this bold guesture to try to blow open the resistance to height in Boston. If that is his strategy, then I applaud Menino. Boston is remarkably dense: if people can't deal with that and want to live in a fantasy 19th century version of Boston then they should either move to Portland, ME Northampton, MA or Burlington VT or work on their Time Travelling skills.
I think part of it is trying to add another land mark to the city. Which is kind of odd it itself as Boston has a TON of landmarks. It seems as if the Mayor wants this to usher in a "new era" and I can't argue with that.

I think you're right on with this also being something to show people that big buildings aren't bad. Years ago people hated the Prudential and Hancock buildings going up, and now they are part of the city. It's not a lot of people in Boston who are opposed to height, it's just a vocal bunch. Most people don't care what goes in the city, or welcome the addition.

And Boston is very dense, claustrophobic? I don't know. I guess to me it's not because I'm used to it, but I can see where if you're from a sprawl city like Houston or even Atlanta how you can feel that way.

I'm eagerly awaiting renderings for this project. Right now I think it's not a bad idea, infact I like it. We'll see if this changes with renderings or if they back off the height demand. The most important thing that could come from this besides a new landmark is that like you said, it could open the door to other buildings of height.
BostonSkyGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #44
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Mayor aspires to a spire on the cutting edge

By Monica Collins, Globe Correspondent | May 13, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino wants to fill a hole in the Boston skyline with a modern skyscraper. Will the new building resemble a glass pickle, a desert flower, or Buddhist temple?

Those are the playful descriptions for some of the world's more recent tall buildings, 30 St. Mary Axe in London, the Burj Dubai proposed for the Persian Gulf city, and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lampur.

Whether some of those bold -- or outrageous -- designs would fit and be welcome in Boston is another matter. Despite some notable buildings such as the Hancock Tower and the Federal Reserve building, Boston's architecture has a conservative streak.

''The joke is that a lot of Boston office buildings look like the boxes the buildings would come in rather than the buildings themselves," said David Hacin, commissioner of urban design for the Boston Society of Architects.

But Menino's call for a 1,000-foot tower downtown in Winthrop Square, on the site of a city-owned parking structure, has Hacin and other architects and urban planners abuzz about the possibilities. Indeed, City Hall has loudly signaled to the development community it would like the new skyscraper -- Boston's tallest when completed -- to be cutting edge.

While a slim, almost needlelike profile is popular today, the Freedom Tower being built on the site of the World Trade Center buildings in Manhattan is a sturdy yet elegant spire-topped work that is supposed to echo other New York behemoths such as the Empire State and Chrysler buildings.

But at 1,776 feet, the Freedom Tower won't seem so statuesque compared with the giants growing out of the desert sands of Dubai. When the Al Burj, or Tower, is finished in 2010, it will give Dubai the two tallest buildings in the world. The buildings are intended to raise the city's profile -- literally -- as part of an ambitious economic campaign. The other is the Burj Dubai, a tapered, needlelike design that its architects, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, said is derived from a desert flower. It is under construction and scheduled to be finished in 2008. Both are projected to go up 2,300-2,400 feet.

Dubai won't happen here. ''Dubai's like the wild west," Hacin said. ''It's like Houston where anything goes and you get some really good stuff and some really bad stuff. Boston's not 'anything goes.' That's not our mantra here."

Meanwhile the Petronas Towers, the second-tallest buildings in the world, win praise from BSA president Jane Weinzapfel for their distinct Asian influences. She described the buildings' decoration and design as reflective of ''the Oriental temple form."

In London, 30 St. Mary Axe became both an instant classic and the butt of jokes as it grew on the London skyline. Now, the structure is known as ''The Gherkin." Weinzapfel describes it as ''a series of interlocking ovals that are of different dimensions and overlap each other. The building makes this shape that tapers toward the top like a pickle."

Designed by Sir Norman Foster, a skyscraper master, the Gherkin won a British architecture prize soon after it opened in 2004. But Hacin, for one, is not a fan. ''It's a green building and very innovative. But if you've ever seen it live, the building lands in a very uncomfortable position in the London historic fabric. It makes a statement in the skyline, but I'm not a fan of how it plays on the ground."

Many architects, however, said whatever is built in Boston must go beyond being tall and stylish and emulate the Gherkin's environmental attentiveness.

''To paraphrase Martin Luther King, we must judge a building by its character and not by the color of its skin," said Cambridge architect Hubert Murray. ''Architects are just waking up to environmental peril and any major building that goes up in Boston must address these issues."

Murray pointed to the Editt Tower, under construction in Singapore, as an example of a ''living" high-rise. It is designed by Malaysian architectural firm, T.R. Hamzah & Yeang, which describes itself as an ''ecologically responsive" company, and deploys what it calls ''vertical landscaping." Gardens and greenery burst from floor openings as the 26-story building, which is sheathed partly in glass, climbs to the sky.

Menino’s 1,000-foot tower site out for bid at end of May
By Scott Van Voorhis
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino may want to transform the Hub’s skyline with a stunning 1,000-foot-high tower, but it’s anyone’s bet whether the mayor will still be in office to see the fruits of his labor.

City Hall yesterday took the first steps toward making Menino’s towering vision a reality. The Boston Redevelopment Authority began advertising that it will put out a formal request for proposals on May 30.

Builders will show how they would transform a run-down city-owned parking garage off Winthrop Square into possibly Boston’s tallest building.

So far, dozens of firms have inquired, with one of Boston’s top tower builders already signaling to the Herald that he is prepared to make a deal.

John Hynes, a top executive with the New Jersey-based Gale Co. and developer of State Street’s new headquarters tower near South Station, said he envisions an office tower that could soar 50 to 75 stories into the city’s skyline.

Still, Menino’s proposal for a new centerpiece skyscraper, while grand, is also complicated enough so that it could take seven to 10 years before Bostonians would have a new jewel in its skyline - one that could tower over the Hancock building or Don Chiofaro’s International Place, one top industry executive said yesterday.

“Let’s put it this way: It’s not going to happen in this term,” said David Begelfer, head of the local chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.

But city officials counter that seven to 10 years is far too long a period for a project that, given the mayor’s backing, is likely to get strong support from City Hall.

“With this asset, we will insist on bold vision and world-class architecture,” Menino said yesterday in a press statement. “In short, a stunning statement of our belief in Boston’s bright future.”

Hynes also said he doesn’t think it would take 10 years to permit and build a tower on the site. He’s targeting a 2011 opening date for his office and residential tower, if he is chosen.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #45
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

Formal request for proposals... Who wants to take bets on how quickly Trump jumps into this game? To have the tallest building in a city is his hobby
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #46
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12209

I don't understand this concept... who will be financing the building? The city of
Boston? What is the office demand like in Boston?