daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Tall Buildings & Urban Habitat

Tall Buildings & Urban Habitat Hosted forums of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat for all students and professionals.
» tall & green | tall building design

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
andreway

Likes (Received): 0

Taking Master of Architecture after completing my Civil Engineering Bachelor Degree

Hi guys, I am a 3rd year civil engineering student studying at the University of Toronto, and I will be graduating from my bachelor program very soon. I have a very strong passion towards architecture and that's why I am considering the pursuit of an Architecture Master Degree after graduation.

I want to ask you "Pros" out there on whether having a combination of civil engineering + architecture degree is a practical idea, as I understand it takes a very long time to become a licensed architect. How many more years of study should I be expecting? Is it worth it? How competitive will I be once I graduate from the Master Program? Finally, what universities in North America offers a good "Master" of Architecture program?

Last edited by andreway; February 18th, 2006 at 09:20 AM. Reason: sp
andreway no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Mamino Zlato
Registrovani Clan

The impression I get from talking to a few people that are architects is that there is no correlation between your level of education and how successful (i.e. how rich) of an architect you are. It's more down to luck than anything else. I personally would not do it but it's your life.
Mamino Zlato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #3
hshalileh

Hey!
I'm i guess on same boat as you were a few years back. I'm a second year civil engineer at uoft and I'm really interested in pursuing architecture for grad. I wanted to know what you decided on and if you are happy with your decision. My elective course selection is coming up soon and I wasnt sure what to pick
hshalileh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Ashok

Likes (Received): 967

I was not sure you can do civil eng and jump into architecture. Wouldnt you jump into a bach of architecture ??
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 893

so many uft ppl on ssc
Havana
Jerusalem | Amman
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #6
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I was not sure you can do civil eng and jump into architecture. Wouldnt you jump into a bach of architecture ??
NO, you can go straight into a Masters of Architecture. Although if you don't have a professional Bachelors of Architecture degree it will take you longer. I believe it's 3 or 4 years. If you have your Bachelors of architecture it can be 1.5 to 2 years. And architecture really depends on what you are searching for on a personal level. Many schools specialize in certain ideologies of architecture. For schools in the U.S. you can always check with the National Architectural Accrediting Board.

"The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) is the sole agency authorized to accredit US professional degree programs in architecture. Since most state registration boards in the United States require any applicant for licensure to have graduated from a NAAB-accredited program, obtaining such a degree is an essential aspect of preparing for the professional practice of architecture."

I believe there is only like 50 or so schools in the U.S. that offer a proffesional Masters of Architecture degree.

Check here for more info: http://www.naab.org/home.aspx
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Ashok

Likes (Received): 967

That is quite interesting; in essense one can become both an Engineer and an Architect by 1) doing a bac in Engineer 2) jumping to a masters in architecture. Sounds like quite the deal!

This does not really make sense to me personally because I remember the school of architecture telling me that they get students coming in from different fields (bac program) including Engineering.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:32 AM   #8
zhaiyubin
Mr

Hey man..I am actually having some problem with u..

I am a Final Year Civil Engineering student currently studying in Australia.

I've spend long time to search this kind of information...One of the significant problems of Admissions to 'Mater of Architecture' is that..Schools always ask for ur design portfolio done by undergraduate level, which I believe is impossible to Civil Engineering Students..

So far, what I found is in Canada, where u are..University of McGill has clear information that they can evaluate students' assessment from other courses...

I think u can try to find information in their website...and keep contact with me ah.

good luck..
zhaiyubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #9
IvAn_Rregio]]_**

Those who are studying civil engineering and want to do things related to architecture why didnt you study architecture instead of c. engineering.??!!! I mean if you are in an engineering is because you like numbers, calculus, and all this stuff.

Im studying civil engineering and, if God wants, I will be an structural engineering!!

Hey dudes!! engineering it's also a lifestyle!! :P

I was having the same problem, studying a master degree in architecure, but then I realized that if I do that it was going to be lost of time studying many things related to numbers and to end doing things of architects.

Im from Mexico :P
IvAn_Rregio]]_** no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #10
la odette

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreway View Post
Hi guys, I am a 3rd year civil engineering student studying at the University of Toronto, and I will be graduating from my bachelor program very soon. I have a very strong passion towards architecture and that's why I am considering the pursuit of an Architecture Master Degree after graduation.

I want to ask you "Pros" out there on whether having a combination of civil engineering + architecture degree is a practical idea, as I understand it takes a very long time to become a licensed architect. How many more years of study should I be expecting? Is it worth it? How competitive will I be once I graduate from the Master Program? Finally, what universities in North America offers a good "Master" of Architecture program?
I'm in the same situation as you. But I have already received bachelors of science in civil engineering. Personally I think it's a good combination because architects are artistic and engineers are technical. To be a good and successful architect, you need both the artistic ability and the technical ability, which then you don't need to depend on the engineers to make sure the structure stand up. And besides, most civil engineers in the US works on roads and bridges and rarely work on buildings. So if you want to get into building work, definitely pursue architecture. All architecture masters need profolio, and if you can make a profolio out within the given timeframe, then you proof to them you have both abilities.
la odette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #11
sangar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreway View Post

hey man how are you ?
I have exactly the same problem just like you ... I am the civil engineer and I like to study the architecture master but I don't know how to start if you knew anything about it please let me know .......... thank you
sangar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Mintali
Engineer d's art't enjoys

Likes (Received): 740

Hey am taking Civil Engineering too at the University of Nairobi. Can someone tell me if it is a better choice than Archtecture?
Mintali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM   #13
USAAAA
BANNED

Ten richest billionaires in the world http://theworldsbillionaires2.tk/ Learn the secret of weight loss easiest and quickest way to get rid of the secret as a result of excess weight http://losssweight.tk/
USAAAA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #14
binaya shahi

i have finished my bachelors in civil engineering too with quite an extended time period though as a student, its only after completion that i am visualizing what is civil engineering and what can i do with all the knowledge and skills they taught me in college. everything were do scattered in pieces that it was like a puzzle on how to create something out of every thing i have learned. They taught me beams, columns, slabs, footings, steel, timber, rcc, doors, windows, stair cases, structure, geology, soil mechanics, foundation engineering, hydraulics and bla bla bla........... every thing is so scattered that its like they have left me with a puzzle to solve.
but they never taught me how to apply them to make a whole building or any other structures. They never gave any idea on how to visualize the structure that i will have to make.

It looks like architects know how to visualize and plan the structure they want to make but don't have ideas to design its parts and civil engineers know how to design the different parts separately but cant visualize and plan the whole.

i guess that's the point where i was stuck when i think of it now. i want to be creative, create my own stuffs, visualize my creation, and design the whole and its parts on my own. They taught me 2d auto cad in college but couldn't design any thing out of it as i cant visualize what i am going to make. but when i see architects make models of buildings i can just figure out how can i apply all the tools i have learned in college to make the model a reality. Its the beautiful and artistic architectural models that helps me recognize my potential on making it a reality.

its not until i learned auto-cad 3d on my own and made few models on my own
that i realize how important and hugely useful things that i have learned as a civil engineering student.

i am hugely interested in architecture as i think architectural and civil engineering are like heart and soul. Architecture is something that helps me visualize the structure i want to make for the required purpose and plan it and civil engineering helps turn it into reality.

i just cant believe how can someone separate these two things which are in fact a one whole thing, inseparable.

like architects i think civil engineering course must also have some sort of designing courses on auto cad 3d, revit architecture, 3ds max design in addition to auto-cad 2d, staadpro, primavera etc

It is like want to be an architect but with civil engineering background not an architects background. i went through the syllabus of bachelors of architecture but it was like raw arts and basic maths and geometry, and architectural history with visualization(drawing and modelling) tools incorporated. Its hard to find science in it.

i want something like structure with architecture in masters.

If i cant do that maybe i should do masters is structure and study architecture on my own (the study of spaces, geometry, patters, drawing, 2d drafting and 3d modelling skills) as i work in civil engineering field involving in the training on computer skills like autocad 2d and 3d, revit architecture, 3ds max design etc

any suggestion and correction if i have any misconception are welcome!
binaya shahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #15
Ruhui

Hello! I am a student of civil engineering and I wish to switch to architecture. After studying civil engineering for 3 semesters, I realize that I dislike like civil engineering. I dislike soil engineering, foundation engineering, highway engineering, traffic engineering bla bla bla... Its a pain in the ass to study all these subjects. They seem like alien subjects to me although I did quite well in my pre-u. Should I take part time or online courses? Or should I abandon civil engineering and study architecture?
Ruhui no está en línea   Reply With Quote