daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #61
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Benidorm was the first spanish city to have a legal urban plan (with Barcelona, before other cities like Madrid), with a lot of good intentions, believe or not, it's one of the best planned cities in Europe, and one of the most regulated, that's why there are so many high-rises, because in most places you cannot build under 25 floors and only in a small area inside your plot. The regional government wants some of the urbanistic laws of Benidorm to be spread among the similar cities of the region It's probably the best planned city of its size in the world.
Only a MAD architect can realize a naturalistic attempt like this!
Please, read what european people think about this big eco-mostro

Rome's most beautiful Str33t5
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...475060t=461792
TouristMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #62
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le lyonnais du 81 View Post
It is the boom but it is a poor architecture. how many habitants are there in summmer and in winter ?
I agree

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #63
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

In summer more than 500k and in winter only 65k.

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #64
Italic

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think so ..in winter at least 100k people live in benidorm ..don't forget a lot of people from england ,sweden,norway,holland that spend winter months in a good climate and comfort.
Italic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #65
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

These photos are terrible..

geometarkv liked this post
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #66
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

I love Benidorm.

I hope new developments have a more polished look, and less grey concrete.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #67
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

some towers will a nice glass facade would be nice
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #68
Looby

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLerm View Post
In summer more than 500k and in winter only 65k.
Actually,now just over 71k permanent residents in the town, but also millions of tourists throughout the year, which continues maintaining its international leadership in the competitive scope of the tourist supply.
58.13% tourists coming from Britain and some staying long-term during the winter months.

Benidorm's tourism makes up 1% of Spain's GDP.
Looby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #69
Looby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortziribeltz View Post
If you want to see what speculation looks like just look at most of the tourist towns south of Benidorm. For the passed ten to fifteen years thousands and thousands of houses, dettached or attached, have been built, completely destroying what was left of the Spanish coastline. At least Benidorm concentrates the units in a smaller piece of land, helping to maintain a bigger part of the coast untouched and helping to a better management of infrastructures and city hall resources.
Totally agree, but not only does it preserve the coast, but also the beautiful countryside surrounding Benidorm.

I also agree with Victhor Benidorm is one of the best planned cities.
Since the early 50's, Benidorm's then young Mayor Pedro Zaragoza Orts created the plan General de Ordenaciˇn (city building plan) which consisted of a complex construction formula that would ensure every building would have some "green" leisure land around it
He also foresaw Benidorm's potential as a tourist destination, his plan was to build them high, less waste of the countryside and giving everyone ( where possible) a view of the sea.

Last edited by Looby; May 15th, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #70
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looby View Post
Totally agree, but not only does it preserve the coast, but also beautiful countryside surrounding Benidorm.

I also agree with Victhor Benidorm is one of the best planned cities, since the early 50's, Benidorm's then young Mayor Pedro Zaragoza foresaw Benidorm's potential as a tourist destination, his plan was to build them high, less waste of the countryside and giving everyone ( where possible) a view of the sea.
Yes, planned by a geometer, surely not by an architect.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4624/benidorm4ee.jpg

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6...ador7sy5bx.jpg

These photos are terrible, I don't know the name of the architect but it is surely a mad man.
Simply disgusting

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #71
weird
vagamundo

Ok, you're right. Benidorm doesn't have a great architecture, but wtf.. what's the reason why you link this criteria with a bad-planned city?
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #72
Looby

Quote:
These photos are terrible, I don't know the name of the architect but it is surely a mad man.
Simply disgusting
You are entitled to your opinion, but how can anyone give an opinion about a building still under construction.?

The photo shows the Mirador del Mediterraneo still under construction, the building is now finished and I was in Benidorm 3 weeks ago...the building looks grand and looks even better than the photo's.... so, what exactly is disgusting about it.?

photo by VEERMER

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Looby; May 15th, 2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #73
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

The position. Those buildings are half flooded, covered by the hill.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #74
PedroGabriel
BANNED

My city is, or better was, Benidorm's Portuguese sister. Pˇvoa de Varzim had the biggest building of Iberian peninsula (built in late 1970's it had 80 metres), as far i was told. And we also had bad urbanism due to the same problem, the population triples in the summer, and was desertic in the winter with also 60 000 inhabitants. because the city has a big beach and those things.

But both cities went to different courses. in mine, it is now very difficult to have new buildings above 4 floors, just in some areas. And now they are betting on better architecture, not glass though. But much better that we had on the past. Pˇvoa is now becoming a residential area for the new Northern Portugal metro area, with population all year around, which is a metro area that merges Porto-Braga-Pˇvoa-GuimarŃes (the 2, 3,6 and 8th biggest urban areas of Portugal, grouping 3 million people), and now our problem is internal infrastructure (not freeways as it has some).

it is interesting that two cities that were very similar are moving apart.
I'll open a thread talking about Pˇvoa's current residential boom.

Last edited by PedroGabriel; May 15th, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
PedroGabriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #75
Italic

Likes (Received): 0

Touristman i guess you are italian like me but i don't understand why your position is so negative about Benidorm .Benidorm was planned like a holiday-city so it's normal there are a lot of buildings for a lot of people if sombody wants spend holidays in a natural place he can go in another place like Greece islands ,Sardinia,Sicily. Instead If somebody likes discos,comfort,hotels,residences or playas with more people goes to Benidorm,Rimini or other pleaces like these. Don't forget also in Italy we have a lot of speculation in regions like Sicily Sardinia and Calabria near plurimillenarium temples like in Agrigento or near natural paradise in Campania.
Italic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #76
frozen

Likes (Received):

delete

Last edited by frozen; May 15th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #77
Looby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristMan View Post

The position. Those buildings are half flooded, covered by the hill.
It is the position that the photo was taken.
The "hill" is part of the mountain range that surrounds Benidorm and which gives it its own micro- climate, (actually 3 mountain ranges) this climate plus very clean beaches and the diversity of the town attracts millions of tourists all through the year.
It is a false statement to believe that Benidorm's population drops dramatically during the winter, it just isn’t true, just as it isn’t true that the town is full of British hooligans.
The image of Benidorm suffers in the British press with lies by journalists when trying to promote places like Turkey or Goa to the future British tourist.

Apart from July/August the average age of the tourists is 55 + years old, a percentage of them are disabled who escape the cold of Britain, along with many Spaniards from Madrid.
To the British it is a 12 month resort and in 2006 the official figures say that 4 million visitors from various European countries visited Benidorm, over half of them from Great Britain.

4 million people...... and some of those visitors have been visiting since the early 70's...they all can't be wrong ...can they.?

Below is a photo I took last year from the Sierra Helada mountains, you will see the tree lined dual carriageway that runs parallel with the beach on the Levante side of town.
When that road was built there were very few motor cars on the road and only 7 cars at that time in Benidorm, but in the foresight of the Mayor Pedro Zaragoza Orts and his vision for Benidorm, he wanted the road to be made 80m wide, but he had fierce opposition from the landowners who thought 10m was wide enough....they eventually settled for 40m ….that was the extent of the planning that went into Benidorm....so how can you say it is a badly planned town/city.?

Last edited by Looby; May 15th, 2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #78
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italic View Post
Touristman i guess you are italian like me but i don't understand why your position is so negative about Benidorm .Benidorm was planned like a holiday-city so it's normal there are a lot of buildings for a lot of people if sombody wants spend holidays in a natural place he can go in another place like Greece islands ,Sardinia,Sicily. Instead If somebody likes discos,comfort,hotels,residences or playas with more people goes to Benidorm,Rimini or other pleaces like these. Don't forget also in Italy we have a lot of speculation in regions like Sicily Sardinia and Calabria near plurimillenarium temples like in Agrigento or near natural paradise in Campania.
Yes I know, in fact I hate speculation.
Ok, visto che parli bene l'inglese dammi una mano e spiegÓ che non si pu˛ distruggere spiagge splendide come erano quelle della Spagna con casermoni degni di una borgata di periferia. Non mi piacciono le cittÓ di plastica, create solo per attirare soldi, senza anima e senza gente. Non mi piace il turismo pataccaro e cafone su cui la Spagna sta puntando. Benidorm Ŕ una cittÓ cafona, oltre che finta, l'architettura Ŕ di infima qualitÓ. La Spagna vole fÓ l'ammericana, ma non Ŕ l'America (e si vede). Sta perdendo la sua vera anima.
I like Tossa de Mar, I HATE Lloret de Mar. This is my personal opinion. And I hate also Benidorm and Torremolinos.

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #79
Looby

Quote:
Yes I know, in fact I hate speculation.
Ok, visto che parli bene l'inglese dammi una mano e spiegÓ che non si pu˛ distruggere spiagge splendide come erano quelle della Spagna con casermoni degni di una borgata di periferia. Non mi piacciono le cittÓ di plastica, create solo per attirare soldi, senza anima e senza gente. Non mi piace il turismo pataccaro e cafone su cui la Spagna sta puntando. Benidorm Ŕ una cittÓ cafona, oltre che finta, l'architettura Ŕ di infima qualitÓ. La Spagna vole fÓ l'ammericana, ma non Ŕ l'America (e si vede). Sta perdendo la sua vera anima.
I like Tossa de Mar, I HATE Lloret de Mar. This is my personal opinion. And I hate also Benidorm and Torremolinos.
and in English please ?
Maybe you will hate me because I love Benidorm and La Carihuela in Torremolinos,there are no high rise blocks there, but I hate Venice, it is overpriced, over rated and smells.
This is of course my personal opinion too.

Last edited by Looby; May 15th, 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: punctuation is fun.
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #80
Ortziribeltz

Quote:
These photos are terrible..

Can I ask what are you doing on a forum called SKYSCRAPERcity?
By the way, we were talking in English, so I don't know why you all of the sudden you rudely use Italian.

Last edited by Ortziribeltz; May 15th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
Ortziribeltz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alicante, benidorm, spain in the world