daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #101
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1706

Because the people (and sorroundings) of Miami and Gold Coast are much richer, and Benidorm is not a destination for richs, there are better places in Spain for them, Benidorm is for middle and lower class families, or for people who doesn't want to spend too much on holidays (british....), and when Benidorm started to develope in the 60's, Spain was almost a 3rd world country. Also, in Benidorm every new appartment building is almost sold out when the structure is starting to raise, so builders don't need design to sell appartments
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #102
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Because the people (and sorroundings) of Miami and Gold Coast are much richer, and Benidorm is not a destination for richs, there are better places in Spain for them, Benidorm is for middle and lower class families, or for people who doesn't want to spend too much on holidays (british....), and when Benidorm started to develope in the 60's, Spain was almost a 3rd world country. Also, in Benidorm every new appartment building is almost sold out when the structure is starting to raise, so builders don't need design to sell appartments
This is not quite true. The area surrounding the Gold Coast is not greatly richer than that surrounding Benidorm today. Wealthy people have always lived on the coast of Spain.

The main reason would be the age of the earlier buildings (Benidorm was developed earlier than the Gold Coast) and it did initially market itself to working class family holidays from Britain. This has since changed to a degree and you can see this in the newer buildings.

Although, as for wealth, Spain in the 1960's was not a wealthy country, so the initial development of Benidorm in it's construction methods did reflect that. But times have changed since then.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM   #103
josema_call
De La Navata al nuevo PGU

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortziribeltz View Post
I don't think Cicerón was talking about you Looby.

He would be talking about me. Sorry if it's the case

Anyway, it is great to have skyscrapers (that's why we are all here, right?), but looking at Benidorm the only thing I see is concrete. So, to make Benidorm looks better, IMHO the way is not to add new skyscrapers. Would it be posible to modify those ugly fachades to make them modern and good looking?
josema_call no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #104
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Benidorm IMO needs some curtain-wall buidings...

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #105
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looby View Post
Have you got a problem with someone wanting a debate.?
What is hijacking a thread when you answer another post.?
Go get a life.! or say something constructive.
No, I haven't got any problem with someone wanting a debate. I actually wasn't referring to you when I said that. If I had wanted to refer your posts I would have quoted them.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. In fact I have better things to do in my life instead of reading this kind of threads.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #106
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Torre Lúgano is looking pretty nice, pics by jrg85:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg85 View Post
Torre Lúgano 25/05/07:

Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #107
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

OMG it's looking so nice

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #108
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
The Gold coat is a smaller version of Benidorm . Just as always it doesn't have Benidorms nightlife .It is horribly planned like Benidorm . It is just a kids holiday center . It certainly doesn't reflect Australias culture in anyway . And is in no way a reflection of proper city planning within Australia . Go to Melbourne or Adelaide if you want to see a well planned out Australian city .
Haven't been to the Gold coast for a few years as the place doesn't appeal to me at my age . But everytime one goes there . You get pestered by Real estate agents trying to sell you property . I can assure you that not only wealthy people live in the Gold coast . In fact you will find that the majority of property owners are working class people from the colder southern climes of Australia .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:17 AM   #109
LordChaos80
武昌虎泉啤酒王

Likes (Received): 27

Hmm... Looking at those nice pics posted before I think it would only need a handful of more eye-appealing (and also high) towers to make Benidorm look really impressive. Look at Hongkong, there is also much boring architecture (quite similar to those Benidorm buildings actually) around its landmark towers, but altogether it`s still a fantastic ensemble...
LordChaos80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:16 AM   #110
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
This is not quite true. The area surrounding the Gold Coast is not greatly richer than that surrounding Benidorm today. Wealthy people have always lived on the coast of Spain.

The main reason would be the age of the earlier buildings (Benidorm was developed earlier than the Gold Coast) and it did initially market itself to working class family holidays from Britain. This has since changed to a degree and you can see this in the newer buildings.

Although, as for wealth, Spain in the 1960's was not a wealthy country, so the initial development of Benidorm in it's construction methods did reflect that. But times have changed since then.
In Benidorm there are only kitsch people, and not with much money... You won't find the people who use to go to southern Spain, Cadiz and Malaga(They would never go to Benidorm, never never never...)
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #111
Looby

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazo View Post
In Benidorm there are only kitsch people, and not with much money... You won't find the people who use to go to southern Spain, Cadiz and Malaga(They would never go to Benidorm, never never never...)
That's a rather derogative remark to make and one I presume you have no evidence to substantiate.?
Some of my Spanish friends live in Benidorm and there's nothing kitsch about them.
I have plenty of money and have been visiting Andalucia for the best part of 30 years, I will be flying to Malaga next week for 2 weeks holiday where I shall visit many Andalucian towns and I definitely go to Benidorm, so your never, never, never statement is twaddle.

You obviously know nothing about where the British take their holidays or the fact that it now costs just as much to stay in a 4* hotel in Benidorm as it does in Malaga.
I, along with millions of other Brits go to Benidorm because it has something the other Costa’s do not and never will possess.
Looby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM   #112
Ortziribeltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazo View Post
To say Benidorm is cheap (not to mention the rudeness of your post), just shows how little you know about the place. Maybe you should look first at how much one of the under construction apartments costs to begin insulting people.
Ortziribeltz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM   #113
AdamChobits
♥사랑해요♥

Likes (Received): 15

Why Benidorm defenders haven't posted this pic around here?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #114
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

I also disagree that Benidorm is only for cheap holidays, and although many of the towers are quite ugly in design, there are also many splendid ones. I really like Benidorm and glad Europe has a coastal skyscraper city like this.

However, why is it impossible to ever find decent professional quality photographs of Benidorm on the internet? Everywhere I look they are just tourist snap shots. Me thinks Benidorm really needs to learn how to promote itself better.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM   #115
Looby

Hola Justme.
I wasn't going to contribute anymore in this thread, but the misunderstanding between me and Cicerón has been resolved via pm, with apologies given by both of us for the confusion.

First of all I would like to mention the following......

MAYOR ACCEPTS BANCAJA HÁBITAT – LIVE IN SPAIN AWARD FOR BENIDORM

This morning the Mayor of Benidorm, Manuel Pérez Fenoll, accepted the 5th Bancaja Hábitat – Live in Spain 2007 award in representation of Benidorm.

Benidorm has received the award for its work promoting balanced urban development through the real estate-tourism model adopted by the town.
Benidorm Town Hall has been able to achieve exemplary urban planning for the tourist and residential sectors.

The Bancaja Hábitat - Live in Spain Awards are designed to recognise the work done to support residential tourism by institutions both nationally and internationally, as well as by introducing legislation and building infrastructures.
http://www.laplazadebenidorm.com/index_en.html

If you go to the link and click on "image bank" or "downloads" you will see many old and new photo's of Benidorm.

My favourite has got to be this one because it is taken from the same position (Sierra Helada) where most modern photo's are taken and shows the agricultural land that Benidorm was dependant upon before the age of mass tourism.
Benidorm was never a fishing village,(apart from the few locals who occasionally lived off the sea) because the waters are too shallow, so it depended upon agriculture for its economy.
I don't know the date of this photo, but would guess around the late 50's (possibly the early 60's.)
You can still make out the long strip of land that was to become the famous Avda Mediterraneo dual carriageway.

This is a photo taken approx 20/25 years ago from nearly the same position.

Apologies if this is "off topic"

Regards
Looby

Last edited by Looby; June 3rd, 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM   #116
DiscoPiratePolarBear

Some Pics I Took Last Week On Holiday...

[IMG]http://i14.************/523qbmt.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i12.************/6evavrc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i11.************/4tkowox.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i16.************/4z37nnm.jpg[/IMG]

Progress of twin towers at top end of Levante (See Lobby's below post for more information)

[IMG]http://i14.************/53pd6c2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i16.************/4qisc94.jpg[/IMG]

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by DiscoPiratePolarBear; June 3rd, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
DiscoPiratePolarBear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:04 PM   #117
Looby

Hi
The construction is for the twin towers called Gemelos 28....Two, 21 floor towers

Apparently,? they have encroached on land that is maritime land or public land, which was not submitted in the original plans.
The Ministry of the Environment is aiming to reach an agreement with Benidorm builder Andres Ballester in order to prevent the company from building the two multi-storey apartment blocks on Lisera Point.
The last I heard, the town hall had put a stop to the building and were in negotiations with the developers to “buy back” the land which they promise to make into a park if they succeed.
I think it has been to the high court, but don't know the outcome.

http://www.gransolproperties.com/gemelos28.htm

Regards
Looby

Last edited by Looby; June 3rd, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #118
zazo
BANNED

Quote:
That's a rather derogative remark to make and one I presume you have no evidence to substantiate.?
Some of my Spanish friends live in Benidorm and there's nothing kitsch about them.
I have plenty of money and have been visiting Andalucia for the best part of 30 years, I will be flying to Malaga next week for 2 weeks holiday where I shall visit many Andalucian towns and I definitely go to Benidorm, so your never, never, never statement is twaddle.

You obviously know nothing about where the British take their holidays or the fact that it now costs just as much to stay in a 4* hotel in Benidorm as it does in Malaga.
I, along with millions of other Brits go to Benidorm because it has something the other Costa’s do not and never will possess.
OH!! pleaseeee, to say Benidorm in Spain is ...don't know how to say, not kitsch, but ..mmmm very medium, it's the city of medium low classess may be they go to a 4 star hotel, so they're not in the low class, but they become kitsh, i don't know, you have to live in Spain to know that, but of course there're a lot of people who love it, and think it's fantastic....ok..it also depends of the people you're talking to...And brithish who go there...ffff
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #119
zazo
BANNED

Quote:
Hi
The construction is for the twin towers called Gemelos 28....Two, 21 floor towers

Apparently,? they have encroached on land that is maritime land or public land, which was not submitted in the original plans.
The Ministry of the Environment is aiming to reach an agreement with Benidorm builder Andres Ballester in order to prevent the company from building the two multi-storey apartment blocks on Lisera Point.
The last I heard, the town hall had put a stop to the building and were in negotiations with the developers to “buy back” the land which they promise to make into a park if they succeed.
I think it has been to the high court, but don't know the outcome.

http://www.gransolproperties.com/gemelos28.htm

Regards
Looby
This is happening in all over Spain, and it's not very expensive
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #120
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Torre Lúgano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseOviedo View Post