daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM   #41
goonerbill

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo
hmmmmmm.........what you call it then????
Part of an archipelago.
goonerbill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:57 PM   #42
Insignia

NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, LA… are all main cities.

Unfortunately London is the only main city in the UK.

The government should focus more on other cities bar London. By 2020 Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, Nottingham and possibly Newcastle should be World Cities.. all have a perfect Location (for their respects) and they have a bigger chance (than most other cities, say Leeds/Liverpool) in becoming world cities by 2020.

Nottingham has the Trams, and possible future extensions. A Central Location in the UK and a growing Airport (to have 200 Destinations by 2020).

Newcastle has the Light Rail system and a possible future Underground system.

Birmingham – Great Central Location and a huge City with possible 200m+ skyscrapers.

Manchester- All I got to say is…. By 2020… Manchester should be the Chicago of the United Kingdom.

The Scottish should work on making their Largest City (Glasgow) a World City by 2020.
Insignia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #43
Insignia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
Skyscrapers do not suddenly make a city world-class. Cities in the UK aren't seen as world-class mainly because London overarchs all of them in terms of tourist advertising - but cities such as Manchester, Brighton, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle are certainly world-class if given a bit more of a push by the UK tourism board.
Why Leeds??

Leeds; Worst Transport system (for a city its size) in the UK (only transport=Bus?). Other than some nice shopping centres... the city centre itself is completely dull. Leeds is by far the most overrated City in the UK.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM   #44
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Newcastle has a metro, of which around seven or eight stations are underground.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #45
Insignia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy

Newcastle has a metro, of which around seven or eight stations are underground.
It is a Light Rail metro though.

Quote:

Tyne & Wear Metro

Newcastle's Tyne and Wear Metro was Britain's first light rail system. The original sections opened in stages between 1980 and 1984, with a couple of more recent extensions. The system makes use of former suburban railway lines to Whitley Bay via North Shields and via Jesmond (the former North Tyneside Loop), Gateshead and South Shields, and Bank Foot (with a short new-build extension to Newcastle Airport), linked by two tunnel sections underneath the city centre and a new bridge over the River Tyne. A more recent extension takes the Metro over tracks shared with main line rail services to Sunderland, and then to South Hylton along a re-opened railway line. At 47½ route miles, the Tyne and Wear Metro is the longest British light rail system.

The Metro uses a fleet of 90 vehicles, built for the opening of the system in 1980 by Metro Cammel in Birmingham.

There are two basic services: Airport–Monument–South Shields and St. James–Monument–North Shields–Whitley Bay–Monument–South Hylton. During Monday–Friday daytime, 5 trains an hour run on each of these routes, increasing to 6 per hour on Saturdays and dropping to 4 per hour on Sundays. These services overlap to give a combined frequency South Gosforth–Monument–Pelaw of 10 trains per hour Monday–Friday (12 trains on Saturday, 8 on Sunday). The Metro serves 58 stations. These are all on reserved track, with the majority being former main line railway stations. There are 8 stations in tunnel, and one station (Sunderland) which is shared with National Rail services (Metro and main line trains use the same platforms). In all there is interchange with National Rail at three stations, including Central.

The Metro is owned and operated by Nexus, the local transport authority (formerly Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive). Nexus also co-ordinates local bus and rail services and operates the Shields Ferry. Nexus' 'Project Orpheus' is a radical plan to develop the Metro through extension and integration with a new street-running tramway—trams and Metro trains would share track and stations, with the eventual aim of converting all existing Metro lines to tram operation.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #46
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

More of a hybrid system I'd say, but I commented on it, ebcause I was curious as to whether you knew anything further about further underground extensions.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #47
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I'm really surprised with how fast British cities are loosing their identity.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #48
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronier
Hmm, shows how much you know.

The towers are designed taking into acount their surroundings and the heritage of the city they are in. The architects are very careful to keep the buildings unique with british qualities thrown in. A perfect example of this is the Bishopsgate tower, which is designed to turn at the pinacle of the surrounding skyscrapers and is very british in its appearance, because, as said somewhere else, it resembles a monarch with a crown looking over the city. Plus many people think British cities are planning and building towers to "catch up" with asia and america. They could not be more wrong. British cities need these skyscrapers not to make their skylines look better (even though they will be vastly improved), they need them because their is no more room to build outwards anymore. The population is increasing and our cities are already spread into the countryside.

And so the British cities keep their identity, and are all the better for the new towers built.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #49
Peyre
Waiting for 122

^

very well said.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM   #50
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
More of a hybrid system I'd say, but I commented on it, ebcause I was curious as to whether you knew anything further about further underground extensions.
There are not going to be any more underground extensions to the Metro, the current plans for the system are very watered down from what they were originally. It seems that all were likely to get are upgraded stations including an upgraded ticketing system (I hope a smart card system), perhaps a few new stations and new rolling stock. The original plans (still on the T&W metro website under "Towards 2016: The Challenge") included street running trams as well as extended light rail services utilising existing heavy rail tracks but most of these ideas have either been shelved or scrapped. The only possible underground extension that was ever even mentioned was a connection from St James' Park underground station to an overground tram station most likely on Westgate Road, however this idea was scrapped very early on because more tunneling would have been too expensive. Apparently even if they do ever go ahead with the street tram extension to the metro it won't be physically integrated with any underground stations.
Very stupid idea for them to have decided against that in my opinion but it doesn't really matter anyway since even the trams aint gonna happen anyway.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #51
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Really? And this is what? Because of some new skyscrapers?

What utter rubbish.

Anyway, back to the main topic. Some fantastic towers going up and down the UK. It's so great that many of the other cities are in on the act as well.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM   #52
Remusable

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother to argue with someone who thinks that's the correct spelling of 'losing'.
Remusable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM   #53
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia
Why Leeds??
Big castle thing? Quite a tourist attraction for foreigners? I keep seeing posters over the Tube advertising it.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM   #54
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid

The towers are designed taking into acount their surroundings and the heritage of the city they are in. The architects are very careful to keep the buildings unique with british qualities thrown in. A perfect example of this is the Bishopsgate tower, which is designed to turn at the pinacle of the surrounding skyscrapers and is very british in its appearance, because, as said somewhere else, it resembles a monarch with a crown looking over the city. Plus many people think British cities are planning and building towers to "catch up" with asia and america. They could not be more wrong. British cities need these skyscrapers not to make their skylines look better (even though they will be vastly improved), they need them because their is no more room to build outwards anymore. The population is increasing and our cities are already spread into the countryside.

And so the British cities keep their identity, and are all the better for the new towers built.
I don't really think British cities need skylines, I like just how they are, with victorian houses. I just think that skyscrapers don't fit in british or european cities.
I like the concept of La Defense, because it allows Paris to have big office space, but not in the historic district.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:19 PM   #55
FASSE3
PLANET EARTH

THE CITY OF LONDON ENCHANTS THE PROJECTS MAINLY TO ME... MUCH MORE THE PEOPLE UN GREETING

« Hay tontos que fingen ser sabios y sabios que fingen ser tontos, pero tú eres el primer caso que he conocido de un tonto que finge ser un tonto ». Herodes Agripa a Claudio
FASSE3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #56
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I don't really think British cities need skylines, I like just how they are, with victorian houses. I just think that skyscrapers don't fit in british or european cities.
I like the concept of La Defense, because it allows Paris to have big office space, but not in the historic district.
I think you've been watching too much Mary Poppins my boy.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #57
Jamie06

Quote:

They do because there is no more space to build out so we have to build up

you fat idiotic morinis membrane
Jamie06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #58
Jamie06

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid

bravo my friend
Jamie06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #59
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by london-b
Well think about it, the UK is on more than one island. Ever heard of Northern Ireland?

Good point, i stand corrected, I always forget about Northern Ireland.
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #60
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
Big castle thing? Quite a tourist attraction for foreigners? I keep seeing posters over the Tube advertising it.
Actually, i'm pretty sure the leeds castle you are refering to is in Sussex or kent, or somwhere like that.