daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #121
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
And if you keep building dross like that you won't either lol. I know I don't, Newcastle tends to have older buildings. lol. And atleast our commielocks are being demolished, we aren't building more!
Maybe that's because Newcastle's necessities aren't the same as Moscow's. By the way, "commieblocks" just means "big apartment blocks". They keep on building them all over the world, not just in Russia. Last time I checked there were some hundreds thousands of them being constructed in China, India, South America... you name it.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #122
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

The main argument is not that they are called commie blocks, it is that they are of low quality, and some people seem to think they are great for some reason.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #123
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
The main argument is not that they are called commie blocks, it is that they are of low quality, and some people seem to think they are great for some reason.
I don't want to enter your discussion with Coth, but I can't find anyone's post stating that low quality architecture is great architecture. All I can find is you expressing your personal opinion that some buildings are low quality. Well I'd wait for them being actually built, or at least for some more renders, before making such a statement.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #124
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
I don't want to enter your discussion with Coth, but I can't find anyone's post stating that low quality architecture is great architecture.
From Coth: 'great looking commieblocks'

I just don't believe that population growth warrants poor architecture. They aren't the worst towers I have seen, but they sure as hell aren't the best. There are much better ways to go about building highrise apartments than building rows of what appear to be poor quality towers that all look exactly the same.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #125
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
From Coth: 'great looking commieblocks'
Hum. Maybe logic undergoes change when dealed with in architecture forums, anyway I'm still stuck trying to find a place where someone affirms that something low quality is actually great. All I see is two conflicting opinions. Mostly I don't understand your prejudice based on a first-draft render. See, you seem to be SO sure these building are not only ugly, nay, but POOR QUALITY structures.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #126
xAKxRUSx
Registered User
 
xAKxRUSx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Moscow
Posts: 2,645
Likes (Received): 7021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
The main argument is not that they are called commie blocks, it is that they are of low quality, and some people seem to think they are great for some reason.
How exactly do you know that they are of low-quality?
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #127
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

I will gladly change my mind if they do turn out to be good when finished, but to me they greatly echo the rows of identical ugly buildings built in my country in the 1960's. I guess one of the reasons I don't like them is basically because they are a row of identical buildings, designed to hold as many people of possible. 95% of the time the materials used for this kind of building are poor and/or the finished product looks boring and frankly dreadfull. Just because they changed to look more like the times doesn't make them any better than the old ones, they will be looked at as horrible in 30 yers like the old ones are now. Cities don't deserve this. But like I said, if they do turn out to be high quality, I will of course admit I was wrong.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #128
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAKxRUSx View Post
How exactly do you know that they are of low-quality?
As I said, they are designed to hold as many people as possible, and the row of identical towers makes for a horrible view. TBH they look monolithic. They may not be, but from experience of developments like this, they tend to be. I certainly would not want this in my city.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #129
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
I will gladly change my mind if they do turn out to be good when finished, but to me they greatly echo the rows of identical ugly buildings built in my country in the 1960's. I guess one of the reasons I don't like them is basically because they are a row of identical buildings, designed to hold as many people of possible. 95% of the time the materials used for this kind of building are poor and/or the finished product looks boring and frankly dreadfull. Just because they changed to look more like the times doesn't make them any better than the old ones, they will be looked at as horrible in 30 yers like the old ones are now. Cities don't deserve this. But like I said, if they do turn out to be high quality, I will of course admit I was wrong.
I don't know where you take your statistics from, but I believe you're wrong. Maybe your country's commieblocks from the 60es were flawed, but in Russia, and in many other countries, buildings from the same era still provide good quality housing. The very fact that they are still inhabitable testifies that the main structures are VERY HIGH quality. If anything, in the majority of cases there is lack of maintenance. But when maintenance is also good, they are just the best houses around. Take the case of East Berlin: the commieblocks from the sixties-seventies have only had a slight facelift and now they are being rented at stellar prices, so no one is even remotely thinking of demolishing them.
May I add that the commieblocks built in Warszaw Pact countries have many more perks, like a high energetic efficiency, wide green areas between each other, and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
As I said, they are designed to hold as many people as possible
And this is a minus in your view? Sheesh. Ever heard of urban sprawl? Or of homeless people? Or of renting fees?
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #130
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
I don't know where you take your statistics from, but I believe you're wrong. Maybe your country's commieblocks from the 60es were flawed, but in Russia, and in many other countries, buildings from the same era still provide good quality housing. The very fact that they are still inhabitable testifies that the main structures are VERY HIGH quality. If anything, in the majority of cases there is lack of maintenance. But when maintenance is also good, they are just the best houses around. Take the case of East Berlin: the commieblocks from the sixties-seventies have only had a slight facelift and now they are being rented at stellar prices, so no one is even remotely thinking of demolishing them.
May I add that the commieblocks built in Warszaw Pact countries have many more perks, like a high energetic efficiency, wide green areas between each other, and more.
obviously our views on commie blocks are different.

Quote:
And this is a minus in your view? Sheesh. Ever heard of urban
Yes, actually. People shouldn't have to be packed in to huge bulcking monolithic towers to solve a cities population problems.

You know you don't have to design rows of identical towers to solve the problem of Urban sprawl, it just makes the city look ugly. These would probably look better if one was twice the height and their were only two. At least then there would be some variation and they wouldn't look like a wall.

Oh and I highly doubt it will solve the problem of homeless people unless the developers/government are giving them away for free.

You know what, keep your ugly highrise commie blocks. I'll take a properly designed, large space tower not made to stuff in as many people as possible any day of the week.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #131
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6822

you looking from uk side - because in uk commieblocks was very low quality. instead of eastern europe, where commieblocks provides high living standards.
you will not take much, because your city does not have enough population growth.
__________________
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #132
Newcastle Guy
Registered User
 
Newcastle Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,096
Likes (Received): 317

I will admit that the old blocks in the UK tend to be very low standard
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #133
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6822

but in russia - commieblocks very high standard. you may be just can' imaging of what i'm talking about. but there was a thread in russian section with interior examples. really don't want to spend some time on searching them...
__________________
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #134
Skyman
LA Resident
 
Skyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA UNITED STATES
Posts: 5,338
Likes (Received): 1376

commies or not commies, anyway it can be beautiful, modern and high, then high then better
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #135
Justa
Registered User
 
Justa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 289
Likes (Received): 36

any news????
Justa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #136
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6822

Some news.

1.
http://top.rbc.ru/index.shtml?/news/...3041_bod.shtml
Dubai's Limitless and Russian Coalco to built an $11bln new city in Moscow province near the city of Domodedovo.


2.
Arabian Trade Center project in Big City. Not a final project yet afaik.





__________________

Last edited by coth; December 4th, 2006 at 03:45 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #137
_docomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Adelaide| AUSTRALIA
Posts: 52
Likes (Received): 0

Wow, Moscow has some seriously interesting projects. And what is most interesting about it is they are developing their own identity and almost a new wave of architecture that is really unique to them. Some really 'out there' stuff, which is always good to see. Keep updating guys.
_docomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #138
Indyman
Registered User
 
Indyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 836
Likes (Received): 4

Yes. VERY unique things. Of course Russia has had good unique architecture (aside from commie blocks and stuff, everybody has that). But I mean the old stuff like the Kremlin and St. Basils and Saint Sophia. Its only natural they should still get interesting stuff.
__________________
Envy is the ulcer of the soul- Socrates
Indyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #139
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6822

Complex Tricolor. 3 residential towers + 1 office tower.


__________________
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #140
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6822

Redevelopment concept of Gagarin square.

the hole in the building is 100m wide.

__________________
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
moscow

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu