daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

SINGAPORE | One Shenton | 50 fl | 42 fl | Com

A redevelopment project planned to replace an old office block in the CBD.

CityDev to build Shenton Way housing project

21 Feb 06

(SINGAPORE) City Developments, which raked in big bucks selling The Sail @ Marina Bay condo at the New Downtown in 2004 and 2005, intends to ride the continuing wave of demand for city living by releasing a 50-storey apartment project at nearby Shenton Way.

The 99-year leasehold project, to be released this year, will be developed on the site now occupied by the group's No 1 Shenton Way office block. It will have a total of about 360 units in two towers, the taller of them proposed at 50 storeys. The units will range from one-bedders to four-bedroom apartments, as well as penthouses with private swimming pools and roof decks, CityDev's group general manager Chia Ngiang Hong told BT.

And just as The Sail condo will create a unique skyline feature for Singapore, so too the Shenton Way project will be an iconic structure.

CityDev has engaged internationally renowned architect Carlos Ott to design the project. One of the high points in Uruguay-born Mr Ott's career was in 1983, when his design was handpicked by then-French president Francois Mitterrand in an international competition for the Opera de la Bastille in Paris to commemorate the 200-year anniversary of the French Revolution.

Mr Ott has since continued to win various design competitions, including the Salle des Spectacles in France, Thomson headquarters building, offices and laboratories in Geneva, and three projects in China - Jiang Su Opera House in Nanjing, National Grand Theatre in Hangzhou and Beijing Opera House.

Other projects he designed include the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and the New Dubai Creek Hilton Hotel, both in Dubai.

'At No 1 Shenton Way, the bold concept is composed of a podium and two towers taking maximum advantage of the city, waterfront and bayfront views,' he said in a statement released by CityDev to BT.

The two towers will be linked at three points. The topmost link, or bridge, is expected to house penthouses, while the two lower links may be sky terraces and gardens, or may even have apartments, giving the effect of 'hanging facilities and penthouses'.

'The distinctive silhouette of the asymmetrical design with the 'hanging' facilities and penthouses between them (the two towers) will be clearly visible from all perspectives,' said Mr Ott. The top of each tower will be for penthouses, each with private facilities like a swimming pool and roof garden.

A podium running the length of the development site in Shenton Way will have shops at ground level and carparking from the second level onwards. Common facilities for the apartments, like a swimming pool and barbecue pits, will be on the podium's roof deck. CityDev's Mr Chia said the design for the yet-to-be-named apartment towers will 'dramatically redefine the city skyline, which will be another feather in the cap as Singapore aims to become a key architectural centre of the world'.

BT understands that CityDev is in negotiations with Singapore Land Authority (SLA) to top up No 1 Shenton Way site's lease from a remaining term of about 62 years to the original 99 years.

The group declined to give any price indication for the project.

At the 99-year leasehold Sail project, which CityDev is developing jointly with AIG, it began selling the taller 70-storey tower with 681 units in October 2004 at an average price of $900 per square foot, and eventually achieved an average of $950-960 psf for the whole block.

The 63-storey second tower, housing 430 units, was released in October last year at an initial average price of $1,080 psf, but CityDev and AIG soon raised prices, achieving $1,200 psf on average for the second block. There are only two unsold units left at the 1,111-unit development, BT understands.

Both the apartments at No 1 Shenton Way and The Sail project will have a small retail component.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

its not funky.. its formal-modern building...
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

looks good to me
emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

OH WOW
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM   #5
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

nothing special.. unless they build over 300m.
pedang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Leesome

Likes (Received): 1963

no other renders yet? looks pretty schmick to me!!
Leesome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM   #7
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedang
nothing special.. unless they build over 300m.
Problem is the Aviation regulator in Singapore has limited the height limit to 250 metres
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

^

280m

I'll try to scan a larger image in

This pic shows the site and building to be redeveloped:

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM   #9
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Those buildings look solid. The roof is very interesting, but it should fit in well in Sinagapore's' CBD.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28300

Nice design, especially the roof.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM   #11
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I really like it. What's there now? Something low-rise?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM   #12
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I really like it. What's there now? Something low-rise?
Look at post 8. A short commercial and aging building is there at the moment.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #13
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Wow! A great bit of news there!
I do think that Singapore really needs something taller than 280m. I think a 300m pinnacle to the skyline would be perfect. Even if they kept the overall limit at 280m but relaxed it for one or two buildings. That's all that's needed, one building of 300m at or very near to Raffles Place to consolidate the current skyline as the main central business district of Singapore, it'll be all the more necessary once the new downtown is built because it could detract from the Raffles Place cluster which I believe should remain the focal point of the skyline.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM   #14
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Looks nice but looks very Dubai-ish.
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #15
christarrant

Likes (Received): 7

Looks great to me. That taller tower ( 50 storey ) looks like it'll be nudging 180-190m in height thanks to that thing on the roof.
christarrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #16
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Very nice, IMO.
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #17
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

SHIT!!! Singapre is ging crazy!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #18
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6367

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy
Problem is the Aviation regulator in Singapore
I never understood that, because all runways at the Changi airport are north-south runways and the CBD is west of the airport. So why is there a height limit although skyscrapers wouldn't interfere with flight routes?

Anyway it's a nice design!
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #19
Jamie06

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
A redevelopment project planned to replace an old office block in the CBD.

CityDev to build Shenton Way housing project

21 Feb 06

(SINGAPORE) City Developments, which raked in big bucks selling The Sail @ Marina Bay condo at the New Downtown in 2004 and 2005, intends to ride the continuing wave of demand for city living by releasing a 50-storey apartment project at nearby Shenton Way.

The 99-year leasehold project, to be released this year, will be developed on the site now occupied by the group's No 1 Shenton Way office block. It will have a total of about 360 units in two towers, the taller of them proposed at 50 storeys. The units will range from one-bedders to four-bedroom apartments, as well as penthouses with private swimming pools and roof decks, CityDev's group general manager Chia Ngiang Hong told BT.

And just as The Sail condo will create a unique skyline feature for Singapore, so too the Shenton Way project will be an iconic structure.

CityDev has engaged internationally renowned architect Carlos Ott to design the project. One of the high points in Uruguay-born Mr Ott's career was in 1983, when his design was handpicked by then-French president Francois Mitterrand in an international competition for the Opera de la Bastille in Paris to commemorate the 200-year anniversary of the French Revolution.

Mr Ott has since continued to win various design competitions, including the Salle des Spectacles in France, Thomson headquarters building, offices and laboratories in Geneva, and three projects in China - Jiang Su Opera House in Nanjing, National Grand Theatre in Hangzhou and Beijing Opera House.

Other projects he designed include the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and the New Dubai Creek Hilton Hotel, both in Dubai.

'At No 1 Shenton Way, the bold concept is composed of a podium and two towers taking maximum advantage of the city, waterfront and bayfront views,' he said in a statement released by CityDev to BT.

The two towers will be linked at three points. The topmost link, or bridge, is expected to house penthouses, while the two lower links may be sky terraces and gardens, or may even have apartments, giving the effect of 'hanging facilities and penthouses'.

'The distinctive silhouette of the asymmetrical design with the 'hanging' facilities and penthouses between them (the two towers) will be clearly visible from all perspectives,' said Mr Ott. The top of each tower will be for penthouses, each with private facilities like a swimming pool and roof garden.

A podium running the length of the development site in Shenton Way will have shops at ground level and carparking from the second level onwards. Common facilities for the apartments, like a swimming pool and barbecue pits, will be on the podium's roof deck. CityDev's Mr Chia said the design for the yet-to-be-named apartment towers will 'dramatically redefine the city skyline, which will be another feather in the cap as Singapore aims to become a key architectural centre of the world'.

BT understands that CityDev is in negotiations with Singapore Land Authority (SLA) to top up No 1 Shenton Way site's lease from a remaining term of about 62 years to the original 99 years.

The group declined to give any price indication for the project.

At the 99-year leasehold Sail project, which CityDev is developing jointly with AIG, it began selling the taller 70-storey tower with 681 units in October 2004 at an average price of $900 per square foot, and eventually achieved an average of $950-960 psf for the whole block.

The 63-storey second tower, housing 430 units, was released in October last year at an initial average price of $1,080 psf, but CityDev and AIG soon raised prices, achieving $1,200 psf on average for the second block. There are only two unsold units left at the 1,111-unit development, BT understands.

Both the apartments at No 1 Shenton Way and The Sail project will have a small retail component.

I think that this plan is great the building is really nice.....
Jamie06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #20
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I never understood that, because all runways at the Changi airport are north-south runways and the CBD is west of the airport. So why is there a height limit although skyscrapers wouldn't interfere with flight routes?

Anyway it's a nice design!
Because of the former airport.

It is now used as an airbase is under the flight route. Or so they say.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
singapore