daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #2821
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
^Right, and the point, Newcastle Real Man, is that people are insular as much as American or British.
No, that wasn't the point. As I said everyone I know knows the Kremlin, just as most people of the world know of the buildings like the Empire State Building. Hollywood and far-reaching American culture has made sure of that.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #2822
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

We were talking about towers, not about known landmarks. Many people heard here about Big Ben and Tower Bridge, although majority didn't. But they are not considered highrise landmarks. They are not associated with the Tower word. You may heard of the Moscow kremlin. Mainly thank to political news reports - hence why you call it the Kremlin. But kremlin means fortress and it wasn't built only in Moscow, but in all major East Slavic cities.

But how much of Moscow kremlin's towers you know? Something tells me zero, before reading this thread. Many of the Moscow kremlin towers are widely known and associated with the Tower word.

So it's still the point.

Last edited by coth; March 17th, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2823
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
We were talking about towers, not about known landmarks. Many people heard here about Big Ben and Tower Bridge, although majority didn't. But they are not considered highrise landmarks. They are not associated with the Tower word. You may heard of the Moscow kremlin. Mainly thank to political news reports - hence why you call it the Kremlin. But kremlin means fortress and it wasn't built only in Moscow, but in all major East Slavic cities.

But how much of Moscow kremlin's towers you know? Something tells me zero, before reading this thread. Many of the Moscow kremlin towers are widely known and associated with the Tower word.

So it's still the point.
I don't know any of the actual towers names, but I do know what the complex is called and what they look like (I thought the tops were funny because they look like candy drops I used to eat as a kid). Just as I expect the majority of people who have a bit of knowledge of the world outside their locality know what the ESB is, but if it's just been seen on the news or in a film it's doubtful they would know a whole lot about it. Doesn't mean it isn't an iconic tower and a well known image though, people will recognize it when they see it. Getting back to the original argument (though that may be hard to remember now), about people not knowing about London or Moscow for it's skyscrapers, I'd say the Shard will become an iconic image for London when it's finished, and will become highly recognizable, more so than the Gherkin. I don't know if the same will be true for the Federation Tower, I guess it's all down to the type of coverage it gets.
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2824
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

Gherkin is poorly known here. 99% of people here never heard of it. But Shard will definitely be a widely known London landmark. But it won't be associated with Skyscraper or Tower words. WTC was, Burj Khalifa might be will. But the Shard won't be 'world's iconic skyscraper'. Nor Federation Tower will. But entire IBC complex is already widely known worldwide, justs like Canary Wharf and La Defence.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #2825
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Gherkin is poorly known here. 99% of people here never heard of it. But Shard will definitely be a widely known London landmark. But it won't be associated with Skyscraper or Tower words. WTC was, Burj Khalifa might be will. But the Shard won't be 'world's iconic skyscraper'. Nor Federation Tower will. But entire IBC complex is already widely known worldwide, justs like Canary Wharf and La Defence.
I don't understand, why wouldn't the Shard be associated with 'tower' or 'skyscraper'? It's exactly what it is I feel it will be to London what the ESB is to NY or the Eiffel Tower is to Paris, THE iconic tower of the city, more so than the Gherkin or Canary Wharf. As for Moscow, I don't know. I originally thought Russia Tower would be an iconic skyscraper because of how much taller it was than other European towers.

As for the IBC complex, I don't think I know anyone outside the internet who knows of it, I wouldn't put it on the level of Canary Wharf or LD yet. But then most of the people I know have been to London and Paris, but not Moscow. I've never seen it featured in the media. I can imagine it being well known in Russia though.
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2826
elcid1911

Likes (Received): 17

I always tought the federation tower, when finished, would become the new 21st century highrise symbol of the city but now they don't even know if they are going to build it to its original height..
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2827
warden987

Likes (Received): 903

Let me put in my word. The most iconic skyscraper in Moscow so far which most foreigners associate Moscow's skyscrapers with. I think it's undeniable.

I do hope that it will change in 5-10 years
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2828
Ins0mniaC
WWW.SA-C.NET

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden987 View Post
Let me put in my word. The most iconic skyscraper in Moscow so far which most foreigners associate Moscow's skyscrapers with. I think it's undeniable.

I do hope that it will change in 5-10 years
is this 5star still here?
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2829
warden987

Likes (Received): 903

Sure, it is still there and it will always be there.
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2830
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Good. cuz what that star represents may end up being the next most successful political/economical system.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2831
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
^Right, and the point, Newcastle Real Man, is that people are insular as much as American or British.

Everyone recognize their local landmarks as wordwide popular landmarks simply because they are national, they are widely known, but locally. It's everywhere. And not only in Russia. Moreover it's more widespread in English countries because English speakers reject to recognize non English sources. Spaniards have no problems of reading Russian sites about Russia in Russian language using online translators. Russians have no problems of reading Japanese sites in Japanese about Japan. But not those from English part of the world. They prefer to stay with local sources only and very often misapplying "world" and "worldwide" to local.
Partly true, but some people in ex-british empire world can speak many languages. But majority can't
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2832
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Polonsky Offers $100 Tours of His Tower
09 March 2010
Combined Reports

picture by Vladimir Filonov, MT

A view of the Federation Tower, where 50 people took a guided tour Friday.

More than 50 people took a tour of the Federation Tower on Friday after developer Mirax Group announced a promotion to try to sell empty space in what was slated to become the country's largest skyscraper.

Sergei Polonsky, owner of Mirax Group, offered $100 guided tours of his Federation Tower on Friday through Sunday in an attempt to sell space in the stalled project.

“We’re selling everything! We need money!” the company said on its web site. Polonsky, who has a fortune of $150 million according to Finans magazine, conducted personal tours of the building for $100 per person. The price included snacks and champagne on the 62nd floor, the company said.

"At the moment, the number of people wanting to take the tour has exceeded the limit. Therefore not everyone will be able to go on the tour," a source told RIA-Novosti. "One tour lasts an hour and a half."

The purpose of the tour is to sell apartments, not to earn money for the corporation, the source said, adding that Mirax was considering the possibility of extending the promotion.

Polonsky had said he would shorten the tower by a third to get banks to unfreeze lending. Mirax, which has built 64 of a planned 94 stories, said it will cost $100 million to complete the building as is versus $240 million to reach the 506 meters originally envisaged, Kommersant reported on Dec. 8.

(Bloomberg, MT)

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busine...er/401158.html
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2833
City of Rain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

shortern it by a third!? it wont be 500m!?

oh my god if this is true its a freaking disaster..
City of Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:28 AM   #2834
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

astonishing picture..
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM   #2835
Vanzetti
go away

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post

Good. cuz what that star represents may end up being the next most successful political/economical system.
What system? You mean PROC capitalism?
Vanzetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2836
ruslan33

Likes (Received): 333

Moscow skyscraper to be completed

Quote:
Alfa Bank is to invest around $240 million in Mirax Group to continue construction of a Moscow skyscraper, planed as one of the world's tallest buildings, a Russian business daily said on Monday.

"The conditions are being agreed with Mirax at the moment. Alfa Bank will be the main creditor, but other banks are not excluded from the project," Alfa Bank development director Maxim Pershin told Komersant.

The tower is part of the Moscow City development in the west of Moscow. The project was delayed by four years because of the financial crisis and is now expected to be completed after 2016. Mirax Group chief Sergei Polonsky previously announced plans to reduce the height of the skyscraper, which is planned at 612.2 meters (2,009 ft) because of insufficient funding. However, the $240 million investment is enough to accomplish the initial ambitious plan.

Mirax Group has faced serious financial difficulties during the crisis. The company's common liabilities are estimated at $550 million, including $120, 8 million of overdue debt, the newspaper said. Alpha Bank agreed to finance the project after Mirax Group paid $50 million into Alfa Bank in early March, showing its ability to cope with its financial problems.

Before the financial crisis, Mirax Group was one of the most successful development companies in Russia. It is renowned for its luxury housing and development projects in Russia and the rest of the world
http://en.rian.ru/business/20100322/158275198.html

ruslan33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2837
igor

Likes (Received): 15573

22/03/10

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2838
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan33 View Post
Moscow skyscraper to be completed

Alfa Bank is to invest around $240 million in Mirax Group to continue construction of a Moscow skyscraper, planed as one of the world's tallest buildings, a Russian business daily said on Monday.
"The conditions are being agreed with Mirax at the moment. Alfa Bank will be the main creditor, but other banks are not excluded from the project," Alfa Bank development director Maxim Pershin told Komersant.
The tower is part of the Moscow City development in the west of Moscow. The project was delayed by four years because of the financial crisis and is now expected to be completed after 2016. Mirax Group chief Sergei Polonsky previously announced plans to reduce the height of the skyscraper, which is planned at 612.2 meters (2,009 ft) because of insufficient funding. However, the $240 million investment is enough to accomplish the initial ambitious plan.
Mirax Group has faced serious financial difficulties during the crisis. The company's common liabilities are estimated at $550 million, including $120, 8 million of overdue debt, the newspaper said. Alpha Bank agreed to finance the project after Mirax Group paid $50 million into Alfa Bank in early March, showing its ability to cope with its financial problems.
Before the financial crisis, Mirax Group was one of the most successful development companies in Russia. It is renowned for its luxury housing and development projects in Russia and the rest of the worl

http://en.rian.ru/business/20100322/158275198.html

It was Russia Tower that had 612 metres.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2839
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Awesome news! So glad this can be finished to the original design.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:09 AM   #2840
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

great up date picture....
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mibc, moscow, spire