daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #221
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 79

I think it's a superb design. One of the best I've seen in London. Really hope it gets the go ahead, and with Land Securities behind it, it is most likely!

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #222
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

What I really dislike about this tower are the sides... I've seen big concrete-ish walls on buildings before, and it ain't pretty. I do also think it needs to be scaled down a little, the shape doesn't work when it's so big, IMO. I like the river-facing facade, though.

Also, I couldn't disagree more that we need to be 'selfish' when considering buildings. That's just one part of a much bigger picture. London always has been and always will be about context. With so much history around you have to respect it and preserve it, and by doing so you ensure that new developments will maintain and enhance the strong image of the city, rather than diluting or even completely destroying it.
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #223
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
What I really dislike about this tower are the sides... I've seen big concrete-ish walls on buildings before, and it ain't pretty. I do also think it needs to be scaled down a little, the shape doesn't work when it's so big, IMO. I like the river-facing facade, though.
The sides aren't concrete- The whole building is clad in glass & steel- Its just the bad render gives that impression that its concrete.

This render gives a much better idea of what the claddings like.

[IMG]http://i2.************/2054k92.jpg[/IMG]
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #224
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=673

2006-07-24 > Walkie Talkie Design Changes Revealed

Developer, Land Securities, has revealed its revised plans for a skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London after it was basically ordered by the planning body in the City to reduce the height.

Although only told to lop about 20 metres off it to protect views of St Paul's Cathedral, the developer has gone a step further and sliced a total of 9 floors off from 45 floors to 36 that should reduce the height to around the 150 metre mark.

The design has also been refined further, proportionally some of the curvature at the waist of the tower has gone reducing the inwards taper on the north-south axis although this hasn't bulked it out as much as some people feared. It still retains the "walkie talkie" look, and if anything the reduction in height has made it look a bit more like a traditional skyscraper.

Previously the scheme had polarised opinions between "love it" and "hate it" thanks to the top-heavy unique shape and slim-line lower floors, not to mention the harder edges that have now been softened out into something a little gentler.

One of the major changes is to the top of the tower. Previously there was to be a large open conference room and a huge overhanging balcony that has been severely cut down although there still appears to be outside access from the top floor.

This events room has been replaced by a multi-levelled sky garden that looks like the architect, Rafael Vinoly, has taken straight of a Ken Adams 2001 Space Odyssey set. Whether it is going to be open to the public remains to be seen because of the usual issues over security that seem to apply to London as to no other major city. Even if it remains private it should prove a stunning and lucrative location for corporate events. The new design means that the Corporation of London planning committee will have to consider it during their September meeting. With the consultation between the developer and planners and these new revisions it should prove luckier second time around.

Last edited by wjfox; July 24th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #225
CAESARS-PALACe

the new sky garden design is spectacular , let's hope it will be open to the public
CAESARS-PALACe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #226
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

I like it.

Seems kind of nice. WHat is the official height of the building?
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #227
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

not a big fan of the big bendy one... I prefer sleek designs. However, I do admire London for its many new developments. I just wonder why skyscrapers are only now embraced?... How come all this is happening so late?... and while we are there: how come cities like Frankfurt, Paris, Rotterdam etc. are hardly having any new super-tall projects?.... a bit disappointing, isn't it? They leave it all up to London, Moscow and Madrid now.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #228
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

Although I'm sure other members who've been around longer than me could explain better I would put it down to three main reasons:

1) Ken Livingstone.
The mayor of London since 2000 is considerably more modern in approach and supports the growth of high quality skyscraper designs in the capital.

2) The economy.
London is the most important economy in Europe and almost on par with New York as the world's most important city economically. There has been a considerable amount of economic growth since the mid-90s, with Gordon Brown handling the British economy as a whole brilliantly. This ties in with...

3) Demand for office space and competition.
The office space in London is up there with the most expensive in the world. Therefore, there is something of a need to build up and with the improved economy of the city and country there is demand for more office space in the City. With the growth of Canary Wharf in the east of London, the City of London has realised that it needs the large floorplates and prestige skyscrapers can provide and that the traditionally conservatively thinking city in regards to architecture could provide a market for skyscrapers. This also ties into greater competition with Tokyo, Frankfurt, Paris and New York and and with the Gherkin, an embracing of modern architecture amongst your average Londoner.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #229
wjfox
Futurist

SwissRe has undoubtedly played some part in triggering off the skyscraper boom and instilling confidence in developers. It all started with this building. Then came Heron, then LBT, then the new proposals for expansion at Canary Wharf, then dozens of other proposals around the city. Now we're seeing an average of one new 150m+ proposal every month or so... something that would have been unprecedented just a few years ago.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #230
Ithaqua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Just a reminder of how it would appear from the west -

I think it looks pretty sophisticated. All British people seem to like the capital city flat, so they will probably hate it.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #231
panamaboy9016
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Hmm...

This building is not that big but whatever I guess in Europe this is a cool thing for you all.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #232
chest

Likes (Received): 13338

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamaboy9016
This building is not that big but whatever I guess in Europe this is a cool thing for you all.
thank you for your smug patronising opinion - 'Peachtree boy' or whatever
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #233
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Just because Panama is building 1 330m building doesn't mean you can look down on us
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #234
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Keep smoking your hats and wearing ur cigars Panama girl
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #235
itxlan7
Gran BCN

Likes (Received): 3

I don't like it. Is pretencious and nothing elegant. Bad for the London skyline too.
itxlan7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #236
chest

Likes (Received): 13338

to be honest I doubt it will ever be built - it had a very mixed reception with the City planning comittee - some members said it was over bearing and in the wrong place - even though its been reduced in height it may have to have even more chopped off it because of historical sight lines and its also out of the area designated suitable for skyscrapers..
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #237
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Well, considering Europe has towers U/C or planned that can rival even the best American towers, I would say your statement is a total load of patronising bull s***
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #238
wjfox
Futurist

According to Emporis, the new height is 160m. This is my own rendering, showing approximately how it will appear with the height reduction.

(Also includes some new proposals to the right)

Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:29 AM   #239
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy
Well, considering Europe has towers U/C or planned that can rival even the best American towers, I would say your statement is a total load of patronising bull s***

He's not American he's Panamanian.

Anyways London is gonna have a kickass skyline in 10 years! So will Madrid, Moscow, Istanbul and maybe Frankfurt!

I'm impressed Europe.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM   #240
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

dislike the concave-ness
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 fenchurch, fryscraper, london, the city, vinoly