daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #261
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Published 19 September 2006 at 11:45

EH in last-minute dash to reject Vinoly tower

English Heritage yesterday faced a last-minute race to get its recommendation to refuse permission for Raphael Vinoly’s ‘walkie-talkie’ tower to the City of London’s planning committee ahead of its meeting this afternoon.

The conservation quango left it to the very last minute to provide planners with an interim document that calls for the skyscraper to be thrown out – it was faxed over less than 24 hours before today’s meeting.

In a move described by one observer as ‘a very strange way to do business’, EH officials will then formally recommend rejection of the project two days after the planning committee has made its decision.

However, it’s unlikely to make much difference, as the city planning officer Peter Rees is advocating that the tower wins the green light.

Those who have managed to supply formal objections in time for today’s meeting include Historic Royal Parks and the City Heritage Trust.

EH has strenuously defended its behaviour, arguing that organisational schedules did not allow it to get a formal recommendation in on time. ‘We have processed this as fast as we can,’ a spokeswoman said. ‘We could not formally object before the meeting of our commissioners on Wednesday.

‘The fact is that City planners will be in no doubt that we are strenuously calling for it to be refused.

‘Even if it wins planning there will be more hoops for the scheme to go through, including going to the mayor, so our formal advice will still be used,’ she added.

by Ed Dorrell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skyscrapernews.com
2006-09-20 > Walkie Talkie Approved
The Corportaion of London have approved developer Land Securities new proposal for a skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London at a planning meeting yesterday afternoon.
The planning committee resolved to give consent to the 160.1 metre tall scheme, dubbed the Walkie Talkie, despite objections from English Heritage who felt it would impact negatively on the skyline.
20 Fenchurch Street was originally proposed at 192 metres but this was reduced after concerns that it was too tall and would affect protected sightlines of St Paul's Cathedral.
The planning committee also approved as part of the application, permission to demolish the existing 92 metre tall sixties mid-rise that occupies the site and also the construction of an adjacent four floor building that will host some of the building services, a similar plan to what Swiss RE utilised with their Gherkin and it's separate plant building.
Designed by Rafael Vinoly, the 39 storey scheme features a public roof gardens taking up the top three floors, the first of its kind in London replacing a previously planned corporate entertaining space.
A number of subtle design changes have also been made since it was first floated with the sharper edges blended slightly down into curves giving it a slightly less aggressive look and restraining the profile of the tower slightly.
The skyscraper has been firmly in the love-it-or-hate-it category thanks to it's unique look where the floors get bigger as it rises rather than smaller, a novel way of increasing the rental income that it can generate for its owner.
There's no public word yet on the precise time-table that the project will run at but Land Securities have announced they could be jumping on the burgeoning skyscraper bandwagon and start speculativly building on the site as early as 2007 for a 2010 finish.

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM   #262
cichus1

Likes (Received): 4

it looks like it is about to eat everything around, huge jaws
London is changing

Last edited by cichus1; September 22nd, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
cichus1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #263
wjfox
Futurist

Complete set of renders for the shorter design, posted by Jef in the UK forum -

http://www.planning.cityoflondon.gov...6/00158/FULEIA

[IMG]http://i11.************/2h5ihdw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/3yq4ewh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/44j50n6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/44jsizt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/2znzksk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/35k4zep.jpg[/IMG]

Others:

[IMG]http://i11.************/2hwefdk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/2r3xksi.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/2ywg1ev.jpg[/IMG]

The Sky Gardens:

[IMG]http://i11.************/2ldw1fl.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #264
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Those skygardens look awesome... but where do the roots go??
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #265
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

we're always seeing plants and trees in architectural renderings....but in reality how often is planting used in the actual building??

I like the look of the skygardens, but i still think the building looks ugly and too top heavy.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #266
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Beetham in Manchester has an olive grove at the top... but I was asking about this one as looking at the diagrams given there doesn't seem to be any thought as to where roots might go!
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #267
Phobos

The skysgarden is amazing.Great views from up there too!
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #268
arzaranh

WONDERFUL!!!!........the details that is.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
arzaranh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #269
-

I had mixed feelings about the 'Walkie Talkie' but it's growing on me. The more i see it, the more i like it. Especially the skygarden is gorgeous. I am convinced that this is a tower that will become a great plus for the city. I hope that it will be possible to visit the skygarden, it would be a great place for a restaurant.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #270
mikeleg
Poor Leno

Likes (Received): 11

Skygardens are awesome , simply beautiful!!!
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #271
wjfox
Futurist

Apart from the sky gardens, I think it's a truly horrific and abhorrent piece of architecture - genuinely one of the absolute worst proposals I've ever seen. Its massive, ungainly, overbearing shape will be a total embarrasment to London and will scar the skyline for decades to come; in addition to which it will utterly ruin the emerging cluster behind it. I can't stress enough how truly absymal and absolutely terrible I feel this project is. Completely, utterly and totally awful... an appalling mistake by the planners.
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #272
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

Sort of agree but not so strongly (if it was my city I probably would though )
London's proposals have always been really modern and innovative without going over the top and making strange shapes for the sake of it. In general, if a tower looks like (x) then it's usually not a good idea. For example, the swiss re looks like an egg but works brilliantly, this is a rare exception though.

No doubt that skygarden kicks ass though
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #273
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Apart from the sky gardens, I think it's a truly horrific and abhorrent piece of architecture - genuinely one of the absolute worst proposals I've ever seen. Its massive, ungainly, overbearing shape will be a total embarrasment to London and will scar the skyline for decades to come; in addition to which it will utterly ruin the emerging cluster behind it. I can't stress enough how truly absymal and absolutely terrible I feel this project is. Completely, utterly and totally awful... an appalling mistake by the planners.

Agreed 1000%

These new renderings only serve to confirm what a hideous monstrosity of a building this is. Its so bad I actually prefer the current building, and that's shite.

Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #274
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2781

Skygarden rocks, hope they will plant some weed too! Imagine, perfect holiday on the top of a skyscraper ! Cant wait to see this one
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #275
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

I'd still take this any day over some of the shit we get that's turning our town into a disgrace. According to one of my mates who lives here (these are student flats btw) it's even worse on the inside

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #276
Apoc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

It looks like a crystal version of Domo Kun...
Apoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #277
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
i totaly agree with you its a shame that london is building this.
I can predict that in 50 years they will be voting for demolition
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #278
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

I predict in 10 years it will be demolished
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #279
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

This'll add a dramatic new element to London's skyline but that's not a problem. Haha, it does indeed look like it's gonna eat everything around it...it has a huge presence - even in the renders!
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #280
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 12

OMFG that winter garden is AWESOME

Tags
20 fenchurch, fryscraper, london, the city, vinoly