daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #121
Gilbert

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rise_against View Post
Awesome stuff! So when is the griffentown renders supposed to be completed? Is it just speculation at this point that it will be the tallest building in Montreal?
oh! I almost forgot... We got a preliminary render in the journal The Gazette last week to give us an idea of the impact of the project on the skyline.

They say that the two towers will be the Montréal tallest.

Last edited by Gilbert; March 24th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Gilbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #122
Gilbert

Quote:
Awesome stuff! So when is the griffentown renders supposed to be completed? Is it just speculation at this point that it will be the tallest building in Montreal?
Those two projects are pretty serious, and the construction of Village Griffintown will start in 2009.

Unfortunately, there is a confrontation between the Village Griffintown promoters (DEVIMCO) and those of the two towers(Hakim/Varadi), because the plot of Hakim/Varadi is inclued in the Devimco development. Devimco wants to expropriate Hakim/Varadi to build a 32-storey hotel, a cinema and a 2,000-seat theatre.

20 architects from Montreal, London and Toronto are now working on Village Griffintown. Public consultations were completed last week, so we should have news on this project soon.

To be continued...

Btw, I hope you understand my english... I'm not very good in this language...

Last edited by Gilbert; March 24th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #123
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

No that was very helpful! Thankyou. Looks very interesting. I hope things move along quickly. Ive been hoping Montreal would start building tall again. Looks like its about to happen!
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #124
brainiac

Gilbert, thanks for the clarification. Looks like we'll be seeing cranes and bulldozers here for awhile!

If everything on the Ilot Balmoral gets approved, I'm guessing they'll be demolishing those old 10 story buildings which currently occupy the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
brainiac Look for the number 1/4/15/14 on this map I made about Le Quartier des Spectacles. It may help you the understand the development of the Îlot Balmoral .

brainiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #125
brainiac

Montreal Future

By the way, for those interested (and those in Montreal), there's a free exposition on future Montreal developments at La Grande Place in Complexe Desjardins. It's currently on and they have lots of documentation and models on display.
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #126
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac View Post
If everything on the Ilot Balmoral gets approved, I'm guessing they'll be demolishing those old 10 story buildings which currently occupy the lot.
The present tower on the site of the new concert hall (#15) will be demolished because of a lack of upkeep during winters.

The second tower will be renovated and will become the new Jazz Hall of Fame (#4). The construction will start this summer.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #127
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac View Post
By the way, for those interested (and those in Montreal), there's a free exposition on future Montreal developments at La Grande Place in Complexe Desjardins. It's currently on and they have lots of documentation and models on display.
I went to this exposition yesterday. This was very interresting! There was no unknow projects, but many new renders!

I took some pictures of them : (the exposition was closed, so I took my pictures from far...be nice with me please )

------------------------------------------------------

Montreal du futur - New renders - pictures by Gilbert
As if you were there...

MUHC - Approved
(new design/new render)

SAT - Approved
(New design/new renders)

Université de Sherbrooke - Under construction
(New design/new render)

Silo No. 5: Museum of Modern Art - Proposed
(New render)

Université de Montréal - Campus d'Outremont - Approved
(New design/new renders)

Place de la Cité Internationale - Approved

Blu Rivage - Approved
(New renders)

Hilton Garden Inn - 400 Sherbrooke Ouest - Under construction
(New renders)

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #128
althegreat
Rommheim never dies

I don't recall so much activity here in the old M! The Radio-canada project is one of my favorite and without a shadow of a doubt the best thing that could happen for that quartier!
althegreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #129
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

What project is near Radio Canada?
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #130
brainiac

Place du Quartier des Spectacles

Place du Quartier des Spectacles (#1 on Gilbert's map) is powering along. It looks like most of the hill has already been carted away and I wouldn't be surprised if they start laying down the formwork in the next couple of weeks.
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM   #131
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Ive been hoping Montreal would start building tall again.
While I myself've been wishing the sheer opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by althegreat View Post
The Radio-canada project is one of my favorite and without a shadow of a doubt the best thing that could happen for that quartier!
I find nothing but silliness in what you've written above (most Montrealers would agree with me here)....there were at least two architectural gems (cottagish) before the whole district took to homing cars in its single-storey car park . . .
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM   #132
brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
While I myself've been wishing the sheer opposite!

I find nothing but silliness in what you've written above (most Montrealers would agree with me here)....there were at least two architectural gems (cottagish) before the whole district took to homing cars in its single-storey car park . . .
I agree. Many beautiful neighborhoods were razed in the name of progress (and the automobile). I've long thought that they should cover the rest of the Ville-Marie expressway near Radio Canada and build affordable housing.

Highrises are great, depending on their context. But low-rise affordable housing is condusive to creating livable "villages" within the city.
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #133
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

What is there to complain about ? the whole city is a low rise livable "villages" already , except for a fraction of "downtown" with a few highrises built sixteen years ago up until now, while other large cities in Canada have been building up and expanding while Montreal seems to be at a stand still and people still not happy
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #134
brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboi View Post
What is there to complain about ? the whole city is a low rise livable "villages" already , except for a fraction of "downtown" with a few highrises built sixteen years ago up until now, while other large cities in Canada have been building up and expanding while Montreal seems to be at a stand still and people still not happy
Who's complaining? I'm suggesting that low-rise maintains and creates neighborhoods on a human scale.

Sure other cities in Canada are expanding. Have you been to downtown Toronto, or downtown Calgary? Their financial districts are dead after dark.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #135
skyboi
BANNED

Oh well I have never considered those Cities as my favorite's ,but since you insist on comparing the differences,I should point out that ,you are wrong ,the money transactions still going on 24 hrs a day ,all years round in those highrises , only the people work there take a break at homes and in Montreal people have to work overtime in bars and pubs and restaurants to make up for doing nothing at day time because Montreal doesn't create an appealling busisness enviroment for investors to come , so you either lay back or be aggressive
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #136
Rumors

Likes (Received): 1682

Quote:
Oh well I have never considered those Cities as my favorite's ,but since you insist on comparing the differences,I should point out that ,you are wrong ,the money transactions still going on 24 hrs a day ,all years round in those highrises , only the people work there take a break at homes and in Montreal people have to work overtime in bars and pubs and restaurants to make up for doing nothing at day time because Montreal doesn't create an appealling busisness enviroment for investors to come , so you either lay back or be aggressive
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #137
brainiac

Quote:
Dude, who's talking about favorite cities? You mention other large cities in Canada, so which large Canadian cities are you talking about? Saskatoon? I used Toronto and Calgary as examples cause gee, Toronto is the largest city in Canada and Calgary is going through an unprecedented boom.

Maybe Montreal isn't an economic powerhouse (news flash, it isn't), but we enjoy a certain quality of life that I think is desirable to preserve. Only my opinion.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #138
skyboi
BANNED

Didn't mean to upset anyone , wish you guys all the best on your City's new projects if that 's what you want to hear

Last edited by skyboi; April 28th, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #139
Kanuk

Thanks Gilbert for this update!

I live in Dubai UAE but I always interested to know more about my beautiful Montreal City. That's one of the only city in the world that can offer a BMW package ( Building,Mountain and water)....

THX!
Kanuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #140
Rumors

Likes (Received): 1682

Quote:
Didn't mean to upset anyone , wish you guys all the best on your City's new projects if that 's what you want to hear
Grow up.
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
montreal