daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 1

Silver Spring Development News

SILVER SPRING

Significance
Dating back to 1842, Silver Spring is the first downtown in Montgomery County, Maryland and was the largest office market outside Washington,D.C. as well as the largest retail center between Washington and New York. The first to combine a parking lot, movie theater and shopping center in the U.S.A. which was recently renovated and still stands. Today it is the largest urban area in Maryland outside Baltimore and the largest urban area in the D.C. metro area. It is home to Discovery Communications, TV One, World Space, NOAA, United Theraputics and now the FDA. If incorporated its population would swell to over 280,000. It is home to the largest high school in the State of Maryland, Montgomery Blair named after the founder of Silver Spring. Some Famous people from Silver Spring are Dave Chappelle, Steve Francis, Ben Stein, Brady Anderson, Connie Chung, Maury Povich, Dominique Dawes, Goldie Hawn and Michael Ealy to name a few.

Downtown
Silver Spring is a 360 acre Central Business District(CBD) centered on a Metro Station. The area is a high density urban environment with a population density of 15,600 per square mile. The CBD contains 17.6 acres of parkland, 7,254,729 square feet of office space (2004), plus 5216 dwelling units.

The transformation of the Silver Spring Central Business District began to take shape with two events: (1.) the American Film Institute established an east coast presence in the restored historic Silver Theatre, and (2.) the world headquarters of Discovery Communications, Inc. relocated to a new building in the center of Silver Spring. With a string of opening events for new businesses in the Redevelopment Project, the revitalization of downtown Silver Spring was established in 2004. The Downtown Redevelopment Project built a retail/entertainment base that attracted WholeFoods Market, the 20 screen megaplex cinema The Majestic by Consolidated Theatres, Borders Books and Music, supported by men’s wear, dress, and furniture shops. The combination of 4500 theater seats surrounded by 4500 dining seats in a dozen new restaurants has created an environment that is in high demand.

History
Wanting to escape the summer heat of Washington, D.C., where he had a home on Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House, Blair began Construction of the three-story home in 1842, two years after he discovered a nearby mica-flecked spring that sparkled like silver when struck by sunlight. The house featured 20 rooms, 4 baths, 9 fireplaces, 2 kitchens, and a wine cellar. Named Silver Spring, the estate eventually encompassed over 1,000 acres, taking in a large portion of present downtown Silver Spring as well as areas of Takoma Park and the District of Columbia

http://www.homestead.com/silverspringhistory/
http://www.takoma.com/archives/copy/...thenAgain.html
http://www.takoma.com/archives/copy/...thenAgain.html

Last edited by Silver Springer; February 26th, 2006 at 12:05 AM.
Silver Springer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 26th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #2
JAB323
Jan's Best Friend

Likes (Received): 2

Hey, welcome Silver Springer, nice pictures. I love Silver Spring, great suburban-outskirt city. Though, I prefer my hometown of Bethesda.
JAB323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #3
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 979

Very nice History and photo tour.
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #4
90 degrees

Likes (Received): 0

I <3 Silver Spring
90 degrees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Expat

Likes (Received): 2

Nice pics. Silver Spring is a place to watch.
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #6
nomad997

....agreed.

I had no idea Silver Spring was like this. I might have to make a small pit-stop next time i'm on my way to DC.
nomad997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #7
deadmaker7

Heard a lot about this place but this is the first time I actually saw pics. Looks very nice. Needs more vertical height 4tw, though.
deadmaker7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #8
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB323
Hey, welcome Silver Springer, nice pictures. I love Silver Spring, great suburban-outskirt city. Though, I prefer my hometown of Bethesda.
Thanks all for the nice comments. I like Bethesda too, its been holding the fort but now with Silver Spring back on the scene we will have two very strong downtowns that are far more urban than suburban in nature.

Pakia liked this post

Last edited by Silver Springer; February 26th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Silver Springer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #9
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 430

What a nice area you live in. I love the openiness of the area, with all the stores and retail centers. It's like an large open mall.
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmaker7
Heard a lot about this place but this is the first time I actually saw pics. Looks very nice. Needs more vertical height 4tw, though.
Tell me about it, we should have much taller buildings in Silver Spring but the NIMBYs, planning board and council are afraid of heights. There is no logical reason for there to be a height limit of 200ft because Silver spring has taller buildings than that already existing and it hurts economic development. The proposed Silver spring transit center project is the core of the city (center with buses and metro station in the first pic) but the private development will have buildings shorter than the surrounding buildings and no office space even though we have the lowest vaccancy rate in the county at 3.4%.
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #11
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPortRicheyGuy
What a nice area you live in. I love the openiness of the area, with all the stores and retail centers. It's like an large open mall.
More like a Major City!
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #12
deadmaker7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer
Tell me about it, we should have much taller buildings in Silver Spring but the NIMBYs, planning board and council are afraid of heights. There is no logical reason for there to be a height limit of 200ft because Silver spring has taller buildings than that already existing and it hurts economic development. The proposed Silver spring transit center project is the core of the city (center with buses and metro station in the first pic) but the private development will have buildings shorter than the surrounding buildings and no office space even though we have the lowest vaccancy rate in the county at 3.4%.
The transit village idea is very progressive and probably what sets it apart from your average Tyson's Corner type of sprawl.
deadmaker7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #13
DCKenny

Silver Spring is just up the street from me nice delevopment!
DCKenny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #14
DCKenny

Silver Spring is just up the street from me nice developments!
DCKenny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #15
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Here is my personal favorite in Silver Spring

United Therapeutics Headquarters

United Therapeutics Corporation
1110 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 608-9292
Attention: Paul Mahon, Esquire, Executive Vice President and General Counsel

Description:
United Therapeutics is a publicly held biotechnology company. They seek to expand their existing Silver Spring headquarters in order to consolidate a large component of their company and provide for future growth. The project will include both offices (148,598 sf) and laboratory space (48,434 sf). The property that is the subject of their applications includes two parcels on opposing corners of the intersection of Spring Street and Cameron Street within the Silver Spring Central Business District (CBD). (One of these parcels is currently a public surface parking lot.) The proposed project consists of two eight-story office buildings with ground floor retail (16,000 sf), public plazas and other landscaped public spaces. The two structures will be connected by a bridge over Cameron Street at the seventh floor level; the bridge will function as a private corridor for use by company employees only. The project includes minimal below grade parking; most employees and guests will park at the adjoining public parking garage #21.

Status

Under Construction

comments
A biotech company that is profitable and on the move. The building will be a LEED building with solar panels on the roof. There will be an elevated bridge in the shape of a double helix or "Silver Spring". The art piece will include cube seats that glow when people sit on them and plasma TVs for learning purposes outside.

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #16
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

1200 East-West Highway

Goodman East-West I, LLC
1220- 19th Street, N.W., Suite 500
Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 331-7170
Attention: Stuart Jones

Description:
This application seeks to redevelop CBD-2 property at 1200 and 1212 East-West Highway in the South Silver Spring Overlay District. A 14-story, mixed-use building is proposed under the Optional Method of Development, including 247 dwelling units and approximately 10,600 square feet of retail space. A significant amount of on-site parking (at least 220 spaces) will be provided in an underground garage; the balance of the parking requirement will be satisfied through payment of the parking district tax.

Status

Approved

Opportunities for Public Participation:
The Planning Board conducted public hearings on the preliminary plan, project plan and site plan.

Planning Board Review Process & Case Number(s):
Site Plan #8-06014

Planning Board Action:
Preliminary Plan #1-05084 and and Project Plan #9-05004 were approved on June 30, 2005. The Planning Board approved the site plan on January 26, 2006.

comments
The best of the high rise projects so far.

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #17
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

yeah its a nice place, it looks like its booming right now
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM   #18
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
yeah its a nice place, it looks like its booming right now
Yes it is surprisingly, I guess we can thank Discovery for it. We have over 20 residential projects alone.

The Crescent Condos

930 Wayne Avenue LLC, c/o the Patriot Group
1003 K street NW, suite 207
Washington D.C. 20001

Description:
Construction has begun on this proposed project which is located on the south side of Wayne Avenue between Georgia Avenue and Fenton Street, across from the Downtown Silver Spring project. The project will include 143 dwelling units and 2300 square feet of retail space in a 14-story building. 140 below grade parking spaces are also proposed on site. The site backs up to an abandoned multifamily building on Bonifant Street that is currently owned by Montgomery County.

Status

Under Construction

Opportunities for Public Participation:
The Planning Board has concluded its regulatory reviews.

Planning Board Review Process & Case Number:
Project Plan: #9-04005; Site Plan #8-05004

Planning Board Action:
The Project Plan was approved by the Planning Board on April 29, 2004. The Site Plan was approved on October 28, 2004.

Notes from M-NCPPC Staff:
The proposed Silver Spring library relocation may occur on the lots located between this site and Fenton Street.

comments
The high rise condo in Silver Spring. Right across from the new downtown project and Discovery. Great Location, average architecture.

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM   #19
pcnorth22

I lived in Silver Spring and Bethesda from 2001-2003...loved them both. Love Bethesda for all the restaurants...but really liked Silver Spring as well. We were there for the beginning of all the downtown construction...my wife worked at Discovery...thats a sweet building...
pcnorth22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM   #20
90 degrees

There's really a lot of residential going up in Silver Spring. With all of this new development and growth of downtown, it's attracting more and more people that have money which makes me want to bring up City Place Mall. Is anything being done with it in the near future? Downtown is gentrifying and people are in demand of more high end retail which City Place isn't providing.
90 degrees no está en línea   Reply With Quote