daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 14

DD goes to Ottawa, Montréal & Toronto

All right, this thread will (initially) be in three parts, one for Ottawa, one for Montréal,
and one for Toronto.

Ottawa is the capital of Canada and situated in the Northern part of the province Ontario.
It has about 775,000 inhabitants in the city and 1,132,000 people in the metro area.
Link. Link.

It was really cold when I took these pictures, -13C degress but with the wind chill it felt
like -30C degrees, but nothing stops the DD, so let's go.

The Laurier Castle was built in the French Renaissance style. Construction ended in 1912.
It is a nice-looking hotel.

The Government Conference Centre and The Westin Ottawa from 1982.

Department of National Defence Building is 84 m. tall (276 ft.). It's the headquarters of the
Royal Canadian Armed Forces.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel between Place de Ville II - Tower C and another highrise.

Place de Ville - Tower A & B.

National War Memorial with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The Supreme Court of Canada. Link.

Sparks St. Mall is the main pedestrian street in downtown Ottawa.

The Parliament of Canada was completed in 1927 with the construction of the Peace Tower
(also known as the Victoria Tower before 1933). The tower is 92 m. (302 ft.) tall. The complex
consists of an east block, a west block and a center block plus the Confederation Buillding.
Link.

The east block.

The center block with the Peace Tower.

The west block.

The Confederation Building next to Wellington St.

Some nice buildings on Wellington St.

Buses like this one serve as public transportation in Ottawa, but a new light rail system
should be finished in 2009.

Place Export Canada.

National Gallery of Canada.

I have seen this sculpture before in Copenhagen (or there are probably several replicas).

The Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica is the oldest surviving church in Ottawa. Link.
It gained the status of basilica in 1879.

Constitution Square - Tower II is from 1992.

Ottawa City Hall.

Crystal Garden ice sculptures.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The first sanctuary at this site was replaced by the
present, larger neo-gothic structure in 1872-74.

A glassy highrise.

Manulife Place is another nice modern-looking highrise from 1986.

I couldn't figure out what this church is called, but it's quite nice. Anyone knows?

We end this part with a picture of the frozen Rideau River with some long shadows from some
Ottawa highrises.
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Ringil
The Big Cheese

Likes (Received): 32

Very nice pics DD! Ottawa really got some nice old (looking) architecture! and hank god for the unstopable DD, traveling across NA, giving us marvelous pics! D:

Did you meet DLL in Toronto?
Ringil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

Ringil> Nope...

DD> Nice photos! Brings back quite a few memories when i was there with my school 4-5 years ago Pretty ok city IMO..

Lookin forward for your Montreal and Toronto photos
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 232

un-be-lie-va-ble!!!!

you absloultely rule, dd!
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM   #5
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6298

Great photos... but d*** it looks cold!
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
sander
User

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics. These "spiders" seem to be in many cities.
sander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #7
DenverDane

@Ringil: Hehe, thank you! No, didn't get to meet DLL. Maybe some other time (I might be back in Toronto in a few months), but he lives in the middle of nowhere a.ka. Oakwood.

@DLL_4ever: Thanks, Montréal is coming up soon!

@Jarmo: Thanks, sir! I'll try to rule fairly..

@Mr. Denmark: Thanks! Believe me, it was cold! I can't remember the last time I have been out shooting pictures in weather like that. It was very hard on my camera batteries!

@sander: Thanks, man!
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Hviid
Positivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDane
@Ringil: Hehe, thank you! No, didn't get to meet DLL. Maybe some other time (I might be back in Toronto in a few months), but he lives in the middle of nowhere a.ka. Oakwood.
haha.. so true! I could always arrange myself to go there for a few hours It only takes me about 1½ hours to get to downtown Toronto.. anyways.. let's see what happens next time you're in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDane
@DLL_4ever: Thanks, Montréal is coming up soon!
Good I'm going there too sometime in the spring, or whenever the snow melts and the temps stay above +10.
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #9
DenverDane

Montréal is the second largest city in Canada and the largest in the French-speaking province
of Québec. It's got a little over 1.8 million people in the city and just under 3.6 million
people in metro area. It is one of the most European-feel cities I have visited in North
America. Montréal is also the second largest French-speaking city in the world (after Paris,
of course). It was still very cold, but at least a little bit warmer than in Ottawa.

A view down Boulevard Réne-Lévesque, one of the main streets through downtown Montréal.

Here a part of St. Patrick's Cathedral is seen to the left.

The Édifice Hydro Québec is 110 m. (361 ft.) tall. It was built for the state-owned
provincial electric utility.

Construction of 1 Place Ville-Marie began in the 1950s and introduced modern architecture to
Montréal. The tower features a cruciform design that recalls the city's religious heritage
when it was originally dedicated to Virgin Mary. The tower is 188 m. (617 ft.) tall and
construction ended in 1962.

Place Montréal Trust is also a nice, modern 'scraper. It's 134 m. (440 ft.) tall. In the
background you can just see a part of Mount Royal.

Another nice' scraper, Le 1501 McGill College. It's from 1992 and is 158 m. (519 ft.) tall.

A view of Tour KPMG, which is 146 m. (479 ft.) tall. It was completed in 1987.

Christ Church Cathedral is a fine example of Neo-Gothic architecture. It was built between
1857 and 1859 and now stands over an underground shopping center.

How modern and classic architecture play together well (learn Copenhagen, goddammit!).

Some of the tall buildings together.

Le 1250 Boulevard René-Lévesque is the second tallest in Montréal. The facade is of granite
and glass, with an outstanding feature being the curvature of the east wall. The height of
this fine tower is 195 m. (640 ft.).

The blue building is Centre Manuvie.

Twin towers, BNP Tower-Laurentian Bank Tower.

The Delta Hotel is 72 m. tall.

A cool, new tower, Cité du Commerce Électronique Phase 1. It's from 2004 and it's 119 m. tall.

Another nice church, St. James United Church from 1889, which has a Gothic-style exterior.

Complexe Dejardings has got around 110 stores and restaurants. It was a little weird to see
people wearing shorts and tee-shirts as it was freezing cold outside!

L'Église du Gesù ("The Jesus Church") was built in 1865.

Mary Queen of the World Cathedral is inspired by St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican State.
The cathdral was built at the end of the 19th century.

Le 1000 de la Gauchetièreis the tallest building in Montréal and rises to the maximum height
allowed by the city, namely 205 m. (673 ft.). This building was completed in 1992. The
cathedral on the north side of the building inspired the copper roof of the tower and the four
copper-capped rotunda entrances at the tower base corners. Good to see that the modern
'scrapers try to blend in with the old buildings.

The CIBC Tower is 180 m. (590 ft.) and from 1962. When it was completed it was tallest building
in Canada and the whole British Commonwealth but surpassed within a year.

Marriott Hotel is from 1962. It's 128 m. (420 ft.) tall.

The colorful Montréal Convention Center.

When Chinese immigrants came to Canada in the 1860s to work on the railroads and in the mines,
many settled in the area which would later become Montréal's Chinatown.

Drink this much Red Bull and you'll become Casper Christensen (internal, Danish joke).

Tour Bell Canada and the Montréal Hilton Bonaventure.

Hotel Intercontinental.

Tour de la Bourse is from 1964. It's 190 m. (623 ft.) tall. It was originally planned to be
one of three towers placed diagonally next to each other.

Crescent St. is known for its restaurants, bars, cafes and nightclubs.
[IMG]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/782/img2822montralcrescentstreet4z.jpg[IMG]

Montréal Museum of Fine Arts.

Heading towards Old Montréal we get a fine view of the skyline.

The Municipal Court as seen from Champ de Mars.

Another view from Champ de Mars.

Montréal City Hall went up between 1872 and 1878 and survived a severe fire in 1922.

On Place Jacques-Cartier is a monument of Nelson erected in 1809.

The Bonsecours Market was inaugurated in 1847. It was the city's main agricultural marketplace
for over a century. It also housed a concert hall and even served as a city hall. Recent
renovations have turned it once again into a bustling marketplace.

The Pierre du Calvet House is one of the most beautiful examples of urban architecture
developed in New France. It was built in the 18th century. Today it's a first-class inn.

The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel from 1658 is the oldest stone chapel in Montréal.

One of the two old courthouses.

View of the old port..

The Clock Tower was built in 1922 to commemorate the men of the Merchant Fleet who were lost
during World War I.

The Jacques-Cartier Bridge with the Molson Brewery to the left. After Molson merged with Coors,
they became the fifth-largest in the world, surpassing Carlsberg.

Rue de la Commune looks very European.

A few banks. First up is the Bank of Montréal. It's the oldest banking institution in the
country. The facade of this building dates back to 1847.

Then Molsons Bank.

The Royal Bank tower was erected in 1928. With its 23 stories it was the tallest building in
the British Empire at the time.

Rue Notre-Dame.

The Notre-Dame Basilica was built between 1824 and 1829 and is a masterpeice of Gothic Revival
architecture.

The Aldred Building (to the right) next to the basilica.

On Place d'Armes stands a statue of the founder of Montréal, Paul de Chomedey, "Sieur de
Maisonneuve".

A few more skyline pictures from Champ de Mars.

This Expo '67 American pavilion is a center for Environmental Education and a Montréal
architectural masterpiece.

In 1976 Montréal hosted the Olympic (Summer) Games. Some of the buildings in the Olympic Park
have been turned into museums.

The Montréal Tower is 175 m. (575 ft.) tall and has a cable car on the outside. It's the
world's tallest leaning tower.The weight of the tower is counter-balanced by the extension of
its central concrete edge through the podium.

Montréal Biodôme.
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #10
Hviid
Positivist

Sooo many people, especially North Americans, make a big deal about how European Montreal is... but other than this photo right here...

and a few others you posted, i don't really see it... In this photo, for example, Montreal looks VERY typical North Americanish..

Anyways... nice photos as usual DD

Now I patiently await your TO photos
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #11
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

After I converted to NIMBYism I don't like you photos anymore...HA!

Okay okay.... they friggin rule!

Why oh why don't Denmark just have one of those buildings... just a small grey 70 box.. I don't mind.. I just want one!
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #12
DenverDane

@DLL_4ever: Thanks, dude! Montréal definitely has a "European" feel to it, especially Old Montréal, but it's true that it also has a lot of North American elements, especially the tall buildings. I didn't have time to explore all the neighborhoods, unfortunately. I have heard that Québec City is even more "European".

@Mr.Denmark: I don't know about that. Ottawa has a lot of those gray boxes, and it didn't look very nice. I would rather see one quality 'scraper going up in Copenhagen than more of these boring, gray boxes that exist today.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #13
DenverDane

Here comes the last part - at least for now. Toronto is the largest city in Canada. It's got
around 2.5 million people in the city and 5.1 million in the metro area. I didn't get to spend
much time there this time (only in the suburb of Markham), but I might be back later this
year.

The CN Tower is the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It's 553 m. (1,815 ft.)
tall. It was completed in 1976 and functions as a communications tower.

View of the Financial District.

The Royal York Hotel across from Toronto Union Station is from 1929. It's 124 m. (ft.) tall.
It once stood as the tallest building and largest hotel in the British Commonwealth.

Simcoe Place was completed in 1995. It's 148 m. (486 ft.) tall.

The 180 m. (591 ft.) tall Royal Bank Plaza South was completed in 1979. It hasn't aged much.

Bay Wellington Tower which is 207 m. (679 ft.) tall.

79 Wellington Street West was completed in 1985 and is 154 m. (504 ft.) tall.

Commerce Court West was the tallest building in Canada from 1972-1976. It's still among the
city's tallest with its 239 m. (784 ft.).

Citigroup.

Toronto Union Station is the busiest in Canada.

Royal Alexandra Theatre.

Air Canada Centre. This is where the NBA team, the Toronto Raptors, as well as the NHL team, Toronto Maple Leafs, play.
The capacity is 18000 to 20000.

There was a lot of construction going on near Lake Ontario.

Rogers Centre (formerly known as SkyDome) has a retractable roof. This is where the Blue Jays
play, Toronto's Major League baseball team.

Toronto Metro Convention Centre.

Again, now with the Financial District in the background.

Looking straight down through the glass floor. Unfortunately, the glass was full of nasty
scratches.

View towards downtown. The curved buildings constitute the new City Hall.

Looking west with Lake Ontario to the left. First a sunset picture.

Simcoe Place and Roy Thomson Hall just behind it.

View of downtown.

View of the Financial District. The white tower to the left is First Canadian Place, which
is the tallest skyscraper in Toronto (and Canada). It's 298 m. (978 ft.) tall. It was
completed in 1976 and was for some time the tallest high-rise in the world outside of New
York and Chicago.

If you want more Toronto pictures, I can recommend the following threads:

TOCPH's little collection: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=307694

DLL_4ever's "Winter in Toronto" thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=296163

(Would have recommended staff's Toronto thread too, but the pictures are gone ).

Last edited by DenverDane; March 9th, 2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #14
DenverDane

Oh, I forgot this picture.
Thanks for the help, DLL_4ever!

Old March 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #15
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 232

ooooh... montréal has some really cool old architecture. i never would have expected to see a pic of a building (the chapel) this nice in canada from the 17th century (:
and montréal has some good-looking towers!

about toronto - i've never actually liked this city, of course, judging from the photos posted in ssc... it does have some pearls but overall it's just a huge square dotted with 60's and 70's boxes.... or maybe i have to see it with my own eyes, for toronto to impress me.

anyway, this has been a magnificent tour of north-american cities and landscapes! i'm really-really thankful to you, dear dd!
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Hviid
Positivist

Beautiful photos DD You show all 3 cities very well IMO. I like the Toronto set the best Of course.. it is the 2nd best city in Canada (1st is Vancouver).

Hope you had a nice time, even though it was probably very cold.

Cheers,
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #17
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Great pics... those hokey jocks sure know how to build tall

Maybe we can swap Hans Island for a 200m'er
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #18
DenverDane

@Jarmo: Thank you very much, sir. I was positively surprised by Montréal. Seemed like a cool city.
By the way, it works both ways. Without the nice comments, I wouldn't have bothered to post these threads.

@DLL_ever: Thanks, dude! Yes, I did have a nice time, but I wish I had had more time to explore Toronto - and that it had been a little warmer.

@Mr_Denmark: Thank you! Not a bad suggestion.