search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Rebell75

Likes (Received): 0

LIDKÖPING, Sweden

First some short history facts of my current location “Lidköping” and not to be compared to Linköping, when people ask were I live and I say Lidköping they repeat “Linköping”? (a bigger city close to Stockholm) , I`m from Oslo so most of my friends and family haven`t heard of Lidköping.

And please be kind as I´m only a rookie in here.

Lidköping (pop. 35,000), a port town at the mouth of the Lidaå, in the Kinnevik, an inlet on the southern shore of Lake Vänern, has a number of small industrial undertakings, the best known of which is the Rörstrand porcelain factory, established here in 1935. Lidköping received its municipal charter in 1446, when the town lay on the east bank of the Lidaå. Then in 1670, when Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie was granted the right to build a town in the county of Läckö he laid it out on the west bank, reaching right down to the river, and the street pattern of the new quarter he built largely survives in the present town. A hunting lodge was built in the Stora Torg, and this later became the Town Hall, a prominent landmark of the town; destroyed by fire in 1960, it was rebuilt on the basis of the original plans. In the market square is a statue of Gabriel de la Gardie.

And here`s some photos I took this cold morning.

Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie

Town Hall

Vattentornet (Watertower)

St Nicolai kyrka

And here are some pictures of the town.

Picture of the river Lidan flowing through the middle of the town.

Stadshotellet, a nice hotel in the middle of the town, pub, restraunt and disco at the first floor

Houses and apartments in Lidköping

In the winter Lidköping is a very quiet place, but in the summer it`s so much more to do like go swimming, boat trips, fishing etc.

I´m just getting to "learn" my new camera so I hope I can share better pictures next time, and there`s so much more to see and learn about this place so until next time I hope you enjoy my pictures

Last edited by Rebell75; March 13th, 2006 at 04:11 PM. Reason: wrote wrong
Rebell75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Sideshow_Bob
\m/

Likes (Received): 7

Wow! very nice to see unknown cities! Lidköping looks beatiful...!
Welcome to the forums!
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #3
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

Welcome to SSC Rebell! I've never seen any pics from Lidköping before so it's always nice to see pics from new places around the country. Your town hall looks quite interesting. Btw - some time ago I read about plans about building some highrise building at the harbour (?) in Lidköping (or converting a silo into apartments, can't remember). Do you know anything about that?
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Borgvik
Martin

Wow, nice pictures... It was a long time since I was in Lidköping last time, I have some relatives there.
Borgvik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #5
wolkenkrabber
Expert

Likes (Received): 6

looks like a neat lil town, I really like the water tower, i wish they'd build them like that today too, the town hall looks kinda nice too,
wolkenkrabber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Rebell75

Thanks for the comments folks!!

AtlanticaC5-

You are right about the plans on setting up highrise buildnings at the harbour, I know they are planing a 15th floor apartment-buildning and if everything work out as they hope it will be ready in 2010. Personally I think the harbour of Lidköping has a big potential regarding hotels, apartments, shopping, etc.
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Välkommen till forumet! Känn dig som hemma här!

Lidköping is so damn beautiful. I seem to share a passion for towns in specially Götaland. I adore its town hall, I've never seen something exactly like it before elsewhere in Sweden.

The typical stream, how charming, I love those things about small towns in Sweden.
The parks, the houses and flats seem very nice. The water tower is awesome and the cathedral is astonishing, so nice and grand for a town of that size.

I love the Väner area, probably one of the most beautiful areas in Europe.

By the way, you haven't got any pictures of Lake Vänern? Europe's third largest lake, it actually looks more like a sea and it is so beautiful.

Thanks for your debut.
Old March 14th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #8
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6278

It looks great!
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Rebell75

Thanks for the comments Mr_Denmark & Chilenofuturista.

Chilenofuturista -

Yes Vänern is a beautiful lake and it`s a big one, almost like a sea.
I`m planing a trip to "Kinnekulle" - the flowering mountain there is a lookout tower adding 19 metres to the 306 metre peak and on a clear day, you`ll see at last 50 km of land and sea from the top. Until next time, adios amigo
Old March 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #10
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 14

Thank you, Rebell75. First time I see pictures of Lidköping, though I once went camping near Vänern with my parents.

The town hall is kind of untraditional but I like it. The water tower and St. Nicolai church also look nice.
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #11
sander
User

Welcome to the forums. Lidköping is quite pleasant little town. I have never heard about this city before if I remember correctly. I like this residential district in two last pics.
sander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #12
Geborgenheit
Libération

Likes (Received): 9251

Welcome!
Thank you for photos! Lidkoping looks great!
Ita
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote