daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #101
Manolo_B2
*waiting for you til 3*

Likes (Received): 49

Does somebody else see this connection?
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #102
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo_B2
Does somebody else see this connection?
Why's that floorplan all in pink?

I like it. but it does look a bit overly expensive. Looks like someone might be throwing lot's of government money out on the street.
But it sure has a lovely crazy design. And I bet it'll be quite imressive to look at in reality, once it's finished. Those type of sculptural buildings usually look much better when you walk around inside or in front of them.
Alemanniafan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #103
Manolo_B2
*waiting for you til 3*

Likes (Received): 49

Does somebody knows the costs of this arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
Why's that floorplan all in pink? .
because i'm a girl AND because this will be the final colour for the olympics 2012!
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #104
AUS4EVER
!!!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo_B2 View Post
Does somebody knows the costs of this arena?

With the current cost blowout, it should take the total cost to around 425 million aussie dollars.
AUS4EVER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM   #105
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 751

what we believe to be part of the exterior facade can be seen infront of the site offices

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #106
AUS4EVER
!!!

Finally, some visible progress ... at least I think so...
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #107
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 10398

This thing is craaazy!

But I must admit I'm a bit surprised about the budget blowing, slow construction (three years of ground works). One would expect this from some more backword country...not Australia...

Anyway... good luck.

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

mate.balota@gmail.com
Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #108
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

better quality to those above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballota View Post
This thing is craaazy!

But I must admit I'm a bit surprised about the budget blowing, slow construction (three years of ground works). One would expect this from some more backword country...not Australia...

Anyway... good luck.
it's only been under construction since May last year so hardly 3 years. and the fact that it has been on site works up until now is because there was a redesign, so the carpark was put underground, ofcourse this was after they had already done the site works, which therefore meant the construction crew had to redo it and move one gas pipe which they had already moved according to the original plan, this is what basically double the time for the ground works.

as for the cost that is because there is a labour shortage in perth for the past 3 years meaning all building companies are charging a lot more than what things actually cost to build so they can get the required labour, which is where the budget blow out is coming from, but with the recent economic crash and an ending to a lot of projects hopefully it means construction cost will stagnate if not come down.

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #109
Ballota
Powered by Jet-A1

Likes (Received): 10398

It's realy sad.

__|__
\_______O(-)O_______/
" " "

mate.balota@gmail.com
Ballota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM   #110
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by docker View Post
better quality to those above...

it's only been under construction since May last year so hardly 3 years. and the fact that it has been on site works up until now is because there was a redesign, so the carpark was put underground, ofcourse this was after they had already done the site works, which therefore meant the construction crew had to redo it and move one gas pipe which they had already moved according to the original plan, this is what basically double the time for the ground works.

as for the cost that is because there is a labour shortage in perth for the past 3 years meaning all building companies are charging a lot more than what things actually cost to build so they can get the required labour, which is where the budget blow out is coming from, but with the recent economic crash and an ending to a lot of projects hopefully it means construction cost will stagnate if not come down.
with the economic crunch where will they justify AU$100m? i am sure this must be causing a bit of outrage in the city surely? and probably already been asked, but why is the city or state paying for the venue? will they be leasing it out?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:43 AM   #111
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Not surprised of cost blowouts. They have BIG problems in W.A. because of lack of qualified workers. And the ones they have are over paid.

A company I know closed it Perth operations because of this reason. 70k just employ a ******* cleaner is a joke.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM   #112
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
with the economic crunch where will they justify AU$100m? i am sure this must be causing a bit of outrage in the city surely? and probably already been asked, but why is the city or state paying for the venue? will they be leasing it out?
about 8 years ago the state government seeked private developers to build and own a new indoor arena after the previous two had either closed or threatened to be closed for redevelopment, these were the Perth Entertainment Centre which has now been closed for 10 years and also the Burswood Dome, which is only be left opened until the new Perth Arena is built, at which point it will be developed.

the state government promised to give $50m to the project, but after 5 years or so the state government change tact and decided to build the arena themselves. at which point we know have the Perth Arena being proposed which would be fully owned by the state government but run by it's stadium organisation. this meant they would pay for the whole stadium themselves.

because of recent projects such as the Mandurah Rail-line which had cost blowouts of 50% as well as most private developments such as BHP and Rio Tinto mines facing similar problems, people in the state have come to expect such blow outs to occur.

i hope that helps.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #113
bing222

Likes (Received): 7

Nice photos

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #114
AUS4EVER
!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docker View Post
what we believe to be part of the exterior facade can be seen infront of the site offices

OMG... I went to that part of town yesterday! Sooo exciting! My brother was like 'OMFG what is the big deal? And why do you care so much?'

Last edited by AUS4EVER; January 5th, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #115
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Latest Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexford View Post
Around 10am today.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #116
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 566

Just amazed how long this is taking to be built, though I was aware that BGC have a tiny crew building this thing, huge lack of labourers in the State. Looking forward to see some basketball in the Arena (don't like tennis).

Anyway for people not familiar with Perth (I imagine most), that is the old Arena in the immediate background of the constuction site in the above photo.
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #117
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 180

This looks like the kind of failed abortion some hack like Frank Gehry would shit out.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM   #118
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #119
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

this photo is probably about 1 month old which shows the speed of the new government... but it is the latest update which appeared today on the official website.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #120
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 54

good development
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, perth