daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which scrapers looks more futuristic?
Asian 140 70.00%
European 60 30.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #61
tonytowers
Remember the Name

Likes (Received): 0

It's very debatable to say where life began.
There is the agument that says life began in Africa and migrated to Asia.
But there is also the arguement that both regions developed independantly.
Many scientists cannot agree or find the evidence to prove either arguement is correct.

So how about we don't get all heated and not have a silly arguement about where life and civilization began and go back to the simple debate of wether European or Asian skyscrapers are more futuristic.

I would say European in this case because they carefully consider enviromental strategies within the buildings. Resulting in healthier air and lower energy consumption. I believe this is the way all buildings in the future should operate rather than sealed air-con boxes often found in asia. (the stage America went through in the 70s)

Last edited by tonytowers; April 8th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
tonytowers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #62
el_artista_violeta
there's action in silence

^you're right tony.

I guess I should only focus on the purpose of the thread, so I say, since the Asians are obssessed with technology, Asian skyscrapers have to be more futuristic, specially Japanese and South Korean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar
Your ignorance shines through yet again.

Human life began in Africa. Civilsation began in Egypt and Mesopotamia as well as Eastern Asia (namely, by the Yangtze and Indus rivers).
you know what? this hurts because you're like the first person that calls me ignorant. Usually people tend to think the opposite of me.

anyway.... this is all my fault for starting a subjective debate based on my western pride.

Mesopotamia was located where Irak is located. "Babilonia"
el_artista_violeta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #63
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

I voted Asia because we got Dubai which will probably look like the most futuristic city when all its current projects are done. Here are som example of futuristic skyscrapers going up.

Burj Dubai,Dubai

SWFC,Shanghai

Shenton Way,Singapore

Jasmsil Lotte Tower 2, Seoul

The Regatta,Jakarta

Reem Island,Abu Dhabi

DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #64
-

I believe we can conclude that this whole thread is pointless as long as we don't share the same definition of 'futuristic'.
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #65
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytowers
It's very debatable to say where life began.
There is the agument that says life began in Africa and migrated to Asia.
But there is also the arguement that both regions developed independantly.
Many scientists cannot agree or find the evidence to prove either arguement is correct.

So how about we don't get all heated and not have a silly arguement about where life and civilization began and go back to the simple debate of wether European or Asian skyscrapers are more futuristic.

I would say European in this case because they carefully consider enviromental strategies within the buildings. Resulting in healthier air and lower energy consumption. I believe this is the way all buildings in the future should operate rather than sealed air-con boxes often found in asia. (the stage America went through in the 70s)
Asian cities experience much hotter summers than their European counterparts. London and Paris get a much more temperate climate than Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Kuala Lumpur. Add the humidity factor since many Asian cities are along the coast or in the tropical regions, and the long summers are quite unbearable without air conditioning. That being said, are there open-able windows on Europe's latest skyscrapers? I thought Swiss Re was one of those climatisied sealed skyscrapers, too.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #66
neggbird
reformed lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909
I believe we can conclude that this whole thread is pointless as long as we don't share the same definition of 'futuristic'.
Futuristic is anything not traditional.
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #67
el_artista_violeta
there's action in silence

DAMN that picture of Shanghai is insane!!!
I guess that would be futuristic architecture. Looks dull tho, but thats another subject I guess.

el_artista_violeta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #68
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggbird
Futuristic is anything not traditional.
Most skyscrapers mentioned in this thread aren't futuristic and influential at all.
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #69
tonytowers
Remember the Name

In The Swiss-Re outer skin is sealed yes. However the interior has 6 shafts rising the entire height of the building. These draw fresh air from the base up the entire height of the building due to the stack effect. The offices have a seperate skin to outside and are able to open windows into this ventilated space.

I admit due to the higher temperatures and humidity it makes it more difficult to naturally ventilate a building in asia naturally however it is not impossible. Various methods can be used in combination: green skygardens, Wind Chimneys, using the cooling effects of water also supplements these.

Never say never, although I think these ideas could be along way off in asian cities because the current building boom is more about who can build the tallest, flashiest and most expensive.

In the visually futuristic front I think Asian cities are way out in front mainly because there is so much stuff being built and when it comes together it showcases contemporary styles.
tonytowers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #70
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Many older Hong Kong residentials have the interior shaft concept which seems to resemble that of Swiss Re. Bathrooms face the interior shafts, which open to the outside at the top (somewhat like a vertical courtyard). This type of design proved to be deadly during the SARS outbreak, when the virus spreaded to neighbors as the infected unit's ventilation sucked the virus out into the shaft.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #71
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar
Your ignorance shines through yet again.

Human life began in Africa. Civilsation began in Egypt and Mesopotamia as well as Eastern Asia (namely, by the Yangtze and Indus rivers).
Umm... Egypt is in Africa... so it DID start in Africa according to your logic... and Mesopotamia was the capital of babylon, so it also started there by your logic...

Boy you must feel stupid now, Calling el_artista_violeta ignorant.

The truth is, Asia may have better Skyscrapers, but IMO europe has everything else better. And the new skyscrapers planned for Europe push them up in that catagory too. Moscow, London, and Paris, and to lesser extents Istanbul, Madrid etc are all going through Skyscraper booms. The only difference is most of our skyscrapers are designed to extremely high standars, which makes them look futuristic (Great cladding, innovitive shape etc...), Where as Asia throws up hundreds, but only a hand full of notable ones.

When we do it, most of the time we do it right
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #72
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

With that Dubai,HK,Beijing booming one could hardly pick Europe!

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #73
DrasQue
Lightbringer

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy
Now, Asia.

Soon, europe:

The Shard (310m):

[IMG]http://i2.************/sv1loj.jpg[/IMG]

Russia tower (600m, taller than anything in Asia):

Dubai Tower istanbul (300m):

Bishopsgate tower (290m):

Minerva Tower (247m):

Federation tower (432m):

Diamond of Istanbul (256m):

I totaly agree! For now it's absolutely Asia.But let's wait the future

-shard
-bishopsgate
-federation
-Moscow t.
-Dt Istanbul
-do Istanbul have awesome designs!
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #74
steve_skyline

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemreee
I totaly agree! For now it's absolutely Asia.But let's wait the future

-shard
-bishopsgate
-federation
-Moscow t.
-Dt Istanbul
-do Istanbul have awesome designs!
Now and in the near future, still Asia. A few projects in Europe cannot compete with abundant existing+u/c futuristic skyscrapers in Asia. Ppl who vote for Europe should think properly abt the topic "Futuristic skyscrapers, Asian/European?" 1st

Last edited by steve_skyline; September 9th, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #75
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5514

Definitely Asia. And I'm not going to make any kid of comment about that ridiculous and ignorant argument about if Dubai's in Asia, or that science, music, technology, etc., started in Europe. When Europe was under the Dark Age, in the Mesopotamia were Universities and new developments, so, please, lets focus on what really matters here and don't show up your poor and invalid knowledge.
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #76
alexanderxu0707

Likes (Received): 4

Newcastle Guy
Britain, Britain, Britain

=============================
how old are you???
dubai is not in asia???
london is a city of china???
alexanderxu0707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #77
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Europe creates, Asia makes copies (Eiffel Tower, Grande Arche, Swiss Re and so on). A majority of new skyscrapers in Asia are made by european (or westerner) architects or agencies, they are really far to be creative. Cesar Pelli that did Petronas Towers is far to be asian.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #78
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

silly question, of course it's asian!!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #79
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10195

Asia...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote