daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #41
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

I really dont like this tower- when it was first proposed 5 yrs ago it looked ok for the tim ebut now its as bland as the rest of bank st. I dont know why Ballymore are trying to push this tower as office led when they also have a residential permission for another scheme on the site. This was concieved back in the day pre-2000 when ther was big plans to turn south quay into an extension of CW. This fell flat on its face as the property market took a dive & as you can see with the inactivity in south wuay before this year that the whole plan was a failure.

I dont see why Ballymore dont go back to the drawing board for a 150m+ resi tower as it would get through planning no probs as RS, 22Marsh wall, Pan P etc all have planning & are taller than Arrowhead quay so nobody could complain. It could be a wasted opportunity for Ballymore.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #42
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 0

It's great we can talk about buildings like this as densifiers (if there is such a word)a couple of years ago this would be rather more major than now!
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #43
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5821

I remember the previous design of this building from a few years back - it looked so much better.

The footprint almost did look like an "arrowhead".
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #44
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 47

Apart from the columbus site and riverside south do you think there is a potential for a few more 200m's? Like HSBC and Citigroup towers?
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #45
rickster2k

Likes (Received): 23

I like the North Quay towers, (216 and 203m), i know some people think again they're a bit bland, but there reasonable tall, and with a small bit of resdesigning could be nice - also Heron Quays West is pretty tall at 214m (same as Riverside South).

I don't think anything will top 1CS as the tallest due to that bloody City Airport!
rickster2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #46
Fragmentor
Funky London

Surely they could just put a hole in a building and let the planes fly throught it?
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #47
Fragmentor
Funky London

Its crudely drawn in 5 minutes but you get the idea don't you?

Old May 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #48
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Columbus will not be built.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #49
rickster2k

Likes (Received): 23

Haha - thats wishful thinking - we should just petition them to get the thing turned 90 degrees .

Like Darjole said in an earlier thread I would have been great if 1CS was its originally planned 250m, the 235m existing design just looks a little 'dumpy' and the planned original height would have made the little bit of difference.

That said I still love 1CS and think it should remain the focal point of the whole CW site with its big pyramid roof and blinking light
rickster2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #50
warcry
LONDON ROCKS!

yes it will have you seen the towers website

http://www.columbustower.com/columbus_tower.html

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #51
jef

Old site. It is dead, mate.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #52
warcry
LONDON ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef
Old site. It is dead, mate.

since when?
they would have taken the website off if it was old
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #53
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcry
since when?
Since the Arab guy investing in the project died!
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #54
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5821

Since the main person funding the tower passed away.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #55
warcry
LONDON ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass
Since the Arab guy investing in the project died!

oh i see... poor guy

someone should carry on with it.

so we are losing another skyscraper?
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #56
Dan1987

that project has been dead for at least a year!
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #57
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2525

The most innovative, exciting, tall, unique project proposed for CW...and its dead in the water.......bloody typical! Could someone sle not just take over the financing of the tower and keep the same design?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #58
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass
Apart from the columbus site and riverside south do you think there is a potential for a few more 200m's? Like HSBC and Citigroup towers?
North Quay has conditional pp. Heron Quay West is in the future pipeline. In the long term, CW plans to build additional towers next to North Quay (on the remaining available sites of lands/docks).
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #59
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Could someone sle not just take over the financing of the tower and keep the same design?
nobody will. Possible redevelopment of this site will come back on the agenda in 10 years: time needed to solve the crossrail issue and to build the tunnels and the isle of dogs station which will stand next to Herstmere House.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #60
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

The more I look at the columbus sags the more it doesn't make sense.

A fantastic 63 storey tower in a prime location & the excuse given was some guy in the midle east died. Was this just a rumour because I cant remember ther ever being an official story in the trade press such as estates gazzette

It was an ivestment company funding this & even if it was a one man show surely someone else would've taken it on- The middle East is awash with cash -just look at all the towers going up in Dubai & this is a surefire investment.

London is going through a construction boom- both offices & high rise resi's- This tower had a office element that wasn't too large & could easily be filled by one company or let on a floor by floor basis.

The hotel element would've had tennats queing up- If Hilton are happy to have a hotel in the wasteland that is South Quay i'm sure a high rise hotel in the most attractive part of the isle of dogs would have no trouble.

Why was the site sold for a bargain 25m to an investment company nobodys heard of with a website thta looks like it was designed as a school project. If BL spend something like 120m on ropemaker place & if theres a massive amount of cash being spent on property both from UK funds & from abroad this seems like a bargain.If X rail was/is the cause then surely BL/CW etc still buy this site for 25m & hold onto it for 10 yrs as once Xrail is finished it would make back its money & more so.

If crossrail is holding this up then why did Moor house get built as the tunnels will pass under that building- in fact moor house has itss basement configured so if Xrail is ever built then it will become the western end of liverpool st X rail station. Surely Columbus could do the same- They knew Xrail would pass through it as its even shown on the plans for this tower. Also this tower could've been built before Xrail even gets the go ahead (if it ever does). CW biught the North Quay site for around 100m (if I remember rightly) so why was columbus sold so cheaply.

So as I say this is one strange saga.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: