daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #61
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4305

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
The more I look at the columbus sags the more it doesn't make sense.

A fantastic 63 storey tower in a prime location & the excuse given was some guy in the midle east died. Was this just a rumour because I cant remember ther ever being an official story in the trade press such as estates gazzette

It was an ivestment company funding this & even if it was a one man show surely someone else would've taken it on- The middle East is awash with cash -just look at all the towers going up in Dubai & this is a surefire investment.

London is going through a construction boom- both offices & high rise resi's- This tower had a office element that wasn't too large & could easily be filled by one company or let on a floor by floor basis.

The hotel element would've had tennats queing up- If Hilton are happy to have a hotel in the wasteland that is South Quay i'm sure a high rise hotel in the most attractive part of the isle of dogs would have no trouble.

Why was the site sold for a bargain 25m to an investment company nobodys heard of with a website thta looks like it was designed as a school project. If BL spend something like 120m on ropemaker place & if theres a massive amount of cash being spent on property both from UK funds & from abroad this seems like a bargain.If X rail was/is the cause then surely BL/CW etc still buy this site for 25m & hold onto it for 10 yrs as once Xrail is finished it would make back its money & more so.

If crossrail is holding this up then why did Moor house get built as the tunnels will pass under that building- in fact moor house has itss basement configured so if Xrail is ever built then it will become the western end of liverpool st X rail station. Surely Columbus could do the same- They knew Xrail would pass through it as its even shown on the plans for this tower. Also this tower could've been built before Xrail even gets the go ahead (if it ever does). CW biught the North Quay site for around 100m (if I remember rightly) so why was columbus sold so cheaply.

So as I say this is one strange saga.
Completely agree.

When you look at the amazing potential it has, then frankly it's just bizarre this project has been cancelled.

I can't believe it's dead and buried - something is bound to happen eventually (i.e something very tall).
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #62
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 0

Well at least it looks like something will happen at some point, not like Minerva where a groundscraper now looks quite likely
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM   #63
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Revisions to the design (SOM) are underway. Delivery for occupation planned for 2009. 25 storeys. 500,000 sqft.

jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM   #64
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Better than before, or maybe it's just a more realistic render, it'll serve it's purpose, and add to bulk, but ultimately not very inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM   #65
jef

Err... no in fact... this is just a new render of the old design. Sorry to be confusing.
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM   #66
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4305

Quite honestly, it's hard to imagine a more bland looking building. Even the Bank Street towers are more interesting than this.

With SOM's revision, I want to see a more detailed and intelligent design - it needs setbacks and other elements to "break up" the blockiness, it needs a slimmer profile, it needs bolder and more innovative use of colour and materials and textures, it needs a more interesting base and lower floors, and ideally some sort of crown or pinnacle on the roof.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:56 PM   #67
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1448

Another lego block for Canary Wharf.

I don't think I can even muster a smile.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM   #68
jimbo

eee, glass box again, de rigour I guess. Surprised Ballymore would look to develop commercial space when they have so much success with the high rise residential developments, especially with CW Group dominating the office space and with a development pipeline that runs to RS, NQ and the u/c Churchill Place schemes. That said, Arrowhead Quay is in quite a good central spot next to Lehman Brothers, and provides a bit of diversification for their portfolio. The is just across the road from 22 Marsh Wall no?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:30 PM   #69
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 362

Would it kill for some curves and a spire?
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM   #70
jef

again: REVISIONS TO THE DESIGN ARE UNDERWAY.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:53 PM   #71
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
Never mind Jef! I for oneam pleased and grateful for your info ...I have been watching this site for years now and am just glad that it has not died.

At least it is tall...ish! and office use

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM   #72
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 4

cheers jef, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

will it still definately be 25 storeys?
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:15 AM   #73
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 40

Good its tall but very bland design. Nice to see the Wharf keep growing onwards and upwards though.
╚══╝╚══╝╚╝╚╝╚═══╝╚══╝╚╝╚╝ -- Ram Brewery 2013
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 AM   #74
london lad

Likes (Received): 365

I've alwyas been a bit suprised that Ballymore haven't gone for a redesign as they always try & extend the height of all there developments & this one is a prefect position for something between 150-180 as it will have Marsh Wall over the road at 150+m (cant remember but is this around 160m?), Pan P down the road at 150m , RS not far away at over 200m & the Bank St towers opposite. As well as Heron Quays nearby that looked around 180-200m from that really old Rogers rendering.

Hopefully SOM will come out with a radical redesign- This design is about 5 years old now & hopefully it will be a lot taller than the present scheme.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM   #75
Manuel

Likes (Received): 14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
What ?
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #76
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 1

I love the "bland/box" style of CW. Let's have high quality designs in the City, but keep the CW style and have 2 main clusters that are totally different.

To me, CW screams "We do business" while the City screams "We do business, and a bit of show-off"
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #77
dom

Likes (Received): 7

Ummm this building certainly won't be boring.

From what I remember it will be the only office building in the entire world to be clad with 'mica' paint.... the whole colour of the building will change with the sun and it will transform an otherwise dull tower into something very, very special indeed.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #78
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
From what I remember it will be the only office building in the entire world to be clad with 'mica' paint.... the whole colour of the building will change with the sun
Yeah I think that got ditched yonks ago.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM   #79
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
I've alwyas been a bit suprised that Ballymore haven't gone for a redesign as they always try & extend the height of all there developments & this one is a prefect position for something between 150-180 as it will have Marsh Wall over the road at 150+m (cant remember but is this around 160m?), Pan P down the road at 150m , RS not far away at over 200m & the Bank St towers opposite. As well as Heron Quays nearby that looked around 180-200m from that really old Rogers rendering.

Hopefully SOM will come out with a radical redesign- This design is about 5 years old now & hopefully it will be a lot taller than the present scheme.
It may be wihful thinking but I think that would make perfect sence. 25 storeys to 35 would be nice.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM   #80
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Marsh Wall over the road at 150+m (cant remember but is this around 160m?).
I thought that Marshwall's tallest was 140m and this Arrowhead was 110m???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: