daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM   #181
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...ticle_id=28372

Reschke primed for malls again
By H. Lee Murphy

Prime Group — a holding company that lost control of Baltimore-based Prime Retail in 2003 — is pushing ahead on plans to build a 425,000-square-foot shopping center at 39th and State streets on the South Side. Construction on the $225-million project, which includes nearly 150 condo units, is likely to start in spring.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #182
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Great news. I hope it's designed well
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:38 AM   #183
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Wait a minute. I think that' the same project as this, right?

Old September 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #184
The Urban Politician
The City

West Elsdon development

City to help out in West Elsdon
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
September 9, 2007
The city will help a developer convert a West Elsdon industrial site into land suitable for 226 residential units.

51st Street Residential LLC will build will build 24 townhouses, 118 condominiums in two mid-rise towers and 86 single-family houses at Homan Avenue and 51st Street. That 10-acre site is at 5000-5058 S. Homan; 3400-3456 W. 51st St.; and 5001-5059 S. St. Louis Ave.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...0,499228.story

CITY REPORT
3 charter schools find home in Archer Heights
September 9, 2007
Three charter schools will fill vacant warehouse space in the Archer Heights neighborhood.

UNO Charter School Network Inc., a non-profit charter-school developer, will convert the warehouse at 4615 S. Kildare Ave. and at 4248 W. 47th St., into two elementary schools and one high school to serve Archer Heights and West Elsdon.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,3563368.story
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #185
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/550...hege11.article

Major residential project proposed for Hegewisch
REAL ESTATE | Retail also slated for city's only trailer park

September 11, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN [email protected]/[email protected]

The owner of Chicago's only trailer park wants to turn it into a community of up to 960 permanent homes, supplemented by new stores and parks.
The project would cover 130 acres in Hegewisch on the Southeast Side
. It's so big that completion might take decades, but the plan itself makes an obscure location one of the most significant development sites in the city, second only in size to the U.S. Steel South Works property.

The new construction would gradually replace the Harbour Point Estates mobile home site at 4000 E. 134th St. The property sits between Wolf and Powderhorn lakes near the Indiana state line, and the developers hope the natural surroundings will attract home buyers.
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #186
The Urban Politician
The City

^ By golly, them's gonna tear up our trailer park! I reckon we better head back down to Alabama now, Betty
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #187
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It's so big that completion might take decades....
Huh? This thing is half the size of most suburban subdivisions. I doubt it will take longer than 4 or 5 years, once the site plan is complete. Of course, I don't know if this can be built speculatively like your average sprawls-ville.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #188
The Urban Politician
The City

This blog is excellent. Check out its latest post. This guy seriously needs to come to SSC:

Monday, September 17, 2007
Parking, New Housing, and a few NIMBY Myths

Show me a new residential development in Hyde Park, and I'll show you a clutch of NIMBYs with a petition against it.

What are the usual NIMBY objections? Well, once you get beyond the rhetorically powerful but empirically dubious claim that new development poses a "danger to our children," somehow putting new housing on the same threat level as Osama Bin Laden, NIMBY opposition to new development typically boils down to the matter-of-fact issues of parking and density.
(Read the rest at link below):
http://hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com/
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #189
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
This blog is excellent. Check out its latest post. This guy seriously needs to come to SSC:

Monday, September 17, 2007
Parking, New Housing, and a few NIMBY Myths

Show me a new residential development in Hyde Park, and I'll show you a clutch of NIMBYs with a petition against it.

What are the usual NIMBY objections? Well, once you get beyond the rhetorically powerful but empirically dubious claim that new development poses a "danger to our children," somehow putting new housing on the same threat level as Osama Bin Laden, NIMBY opposition to new development typically boils down to the matter-of-fact issues of parking and density.
http://hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com/
I can't let that pass without saying that the "hydeparkprogress" blog is WRONG to advocate paving the Promontory Point shoreline and WRONG to advocate the demolition of the 1909-built Doctors Hospital building.

However, hydeparkprogress is FANTASTIC in the way that they skewer anti-density, anti-height NIMBY's in Hyde Park. A breath of fresh air!
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #190
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Yeah, these bloggers may be hurting themselves by not siding with some key preservationist issues.

Many pro-development, pro-density people also tend to be ardent preservationists (like myself and many others I've met on these forums), so I'm not sure what gives.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #191
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

The Promontory Point thing has been debated many times over. The compromise plan that was proposed and rejected by the community would have re-used many of the limestone blocks, provided an erosion-resistant shoreline, and allowed for 600 feet total of beach access over two locations. The use of recycled and new limestone would have hidden the concrete-and-steel nature of the seawall. Even with all of these features, this plan could have been started and well underway as we speak, and this was its greatest virtue.

Instead, obstinate Hyde Parkers continue to push for a wasteful replacement of the Point seawall exactly as it was before. This would be tremendously expensive, and it would wear out quickly the same way the old one did.

Meanwhile, the old Point revetment continues to crumble and pose a safety and health hazard to the thousands of visitors the place gets on a yearly basis. Maybe that's their strategy: let the place deteriorate so much that it loses value as a destination, then they can have it to themselves.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #192
The Urban Politician
The City

Starbucks Opening Shows Transformation of Stateway Gardens Project

The opening of a Starbucks store at a location formerly occupied by the now-demolished Stateway Gardens public housing project will help create a self-sustaining cycle of economic and social transformation in the Bronzeville neighborhood, Mayor Richard M. Daley said today.

Daley made his remarks at the dedication of the new store, which opened last week for business at 3506 South State St.

For many years, the surrounding neighborhood was dominated by the Chicago Housing Authority’s Stateway Gardens housing project, whose demolition and replacement with the new Park Boulevard mixed income development is part of CHA’s ongoing program of transforming the old projects into vital new neighborhoods.

Later, Daley took U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson on a tour of Park Boulevard which, when completed, will have 1300 new units of public, affordable and market price housing.

“It is impossible to overstate the importance of a retailer like Starbucks locating at 35th and State, “Daley said.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...xt=Recent+News
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #193
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

I've been looking at grad schools, and I've driven through that area in Bronzeville going back and forth in my visits to IIT from Hyde Park, and dizamn, that neighborhood is hot. Construction everywhere. If I had money to invest in real estate, I'd do it there.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #194
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

As an addendum, I find it exciting to note that when I first came to Chicago 4 years ago as a naive first-year, I refrained from going around that area thanks to the massive stretch of projects around that area. But now it looks a million times better. Alot changes in just a few years (man I feel old now!)
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #195
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Yeah, still WAY too much vacant, underutilized land, though. There are some wonderful old structures sitting boarded up just waiting to be reused.

Why is this part of town so neglected? It kills me
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #196
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

i could launch into a long discussion of racial issues and economic disinvestment (I studied this for many quarters at UChicago) but I'm at work and it's depressing. And it's unfortunate, too, because MLK is a really nice boulevard on the whole to drive or bike on.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #197
le_brew
le_brew

Likes (Received): 0

Dan Ryan Neighborhoods

Many areas along the Dan Ryan are downright embarrasing for a major city, leaving the impression of total poverty/neglect. Especially along the west side of the highway (Fuller Park). The houses are much more rural-like backwater than a major city -- very shacky.

Now that the highrise projects are gone, and the reconstruction of the highway, redevelopment of some of the immediate areas along this major gateway to the city will come into focus.
le_brew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #198
The Urban Politician
The City

A streetcar network? YAAA MAAAN!!!!

Green light for pilot at former U.S. Steel site
October 14, 2007
Sixty-five vacant, city-owned parcels adjacent to the former U.S. Steel site in the South Chicago neighborhood will see long-anticipated residential development in a pilot program for a model energy-efficient neighborhood.

"We have a huge opportunity to turn the area's [Rust Belt] reputation on its head," Marilyn Engwall, a project manager from the Chicago Department of Planning and Development, said last week.

Engwall and other city planners have worked with residents and neighborhood leaders, including Ald. John Pope (10th), to plan a green neighborhood that includes streets, sidewalks, parks, housing, commercial districts and possibly a streetcar network to carry residents to the three major Metra stations that serve the area or to its retail and entertainment establishments.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,4303699.story
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #199
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

From all that I have heard and seen the steel works site is matching or exceeding my hopes and expectations. It still early in the game but I like the ideas for density, transit, and land use along the lakefront. It will be interesting as the development rolls along what kind of interplay it will have with the surrounding neighborhoods and south side in general as it grows.

The Tribune has some small renders of the LEED houses they are talking about in the article and they look pretty modern and nice.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #200
The Urban Politician
The City

I sort dissected this first article to point out the little snippet in bold, which drew some laughs from me. Even after being fired, Tillman continues her quest to keep her former ward dirt-poor and bereft of hope:

Developer sought for 47th, King
October 21, 2007
City planners are looking for a retail or mixed-use developer for long vacant city-owned land at 47th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

"This is prime retail space. The idea for a park was conceived over the last 10 years [by former Ald. Dorothy Tillman], and ... it sat vacant, non-productive, a blight in the community while there is tremendous need for retail," Ald. Patricia Dowell (3rd) told the Community Development Commission.

.......Tillman told commissioners that she is prepared to sue the city if they abandon the plan for the park, for which she has used city funds to buy art.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,4491118.story

80 condos planned for project on Cottage Grove
October 21, 2007
A mixed-use project with 80 condominiums is planned for long vacant land on Cottage Grove Avenue in the North Kenwood neighborhood.

The Chicago Community Development Commission this summer approved the sale of city-owned property at 4501-4521 S. Cottage Grove Ave. to a developer who will build a seven-story building with 80 condos and 25,000 square feet of retail space, contributing to a considerable retail expansion under way on Cottage Grove.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,6911337.story