daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #241
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Grand Imperial Hotel

Millennium East Plaza

Last edited by spyguy; March 10th, 2008 at 07:45 AM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #242
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I like the little TGV in the rendering of Imperial Plaza, but wouldn't a Japanese bullet train have been more appropriate?

Millennium East Plaza is interesting, certainly, but the site plan is uninspiring. The first render seems to show the building as separated from Canal by a strip of parking. The second render shows the building right at the corner, which is more appropriate. I would assume the surface parking isn't going anywhere, but it can at least be shifted further back away from the main streets.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #243
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Millennium East Plaza

^ Are these supposed to be 2 angles of the same project or what?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #244
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Grand Imperial Hotel
Are they / did they relocate the Rock Island line? I thought the tracks split this site in half? I believe Plan Commission approved in January... any body have any additional information?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #245
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Nobody's relocating anything... the building will simply be crammed between Clark and the tracks. If See Wong does own the property on the west side of the tracks, then apparently he's merely doing landscaping over there (judging by the rendering).

According to the Cook County Recorder of Deeds, See Wong bought the land from Metra.... which makes sense.

Last edited by ardecila; March 11th, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #246
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Nobody's relocating anything... the building will simply be crammed between Clark and the tracks. If See Wong does own the property on the west side of the tracks, then apparently he's merely doing landscaping over there (judging by the rendering).

According to the Cook County Recorder of Deeds, See Wong bought the land from Metra.... which makes sense.
If that is true... then he only has about 70'-80' to work with. I am assuming that there is an easement next to the tracks too that would make it even more difficult. I suppose it was done north of here with a 6th story building and hotel rooms (condo-hotel) are usually smaller than your run of the mill apartment/condo. I would assume they are stashing parking on the other side of the tracks.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #247
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Maybe he's stashing parking under the tracks - but the parking shown in the rendering looks like the corner of the lot underneath the CTA station. Is it possible that this building will be valet only, and utilize an off-site facility somewhere?
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #248
PrintersRowBoiler

There are two sets of tracks. I was thinking the building would be between Clark and the first set of tracks, and the parking would be between the first (Rock Island) and second (CTA) tracks.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #249
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Possibly. To be honest, I'd rather have a parking lot than useless greenspace that nobody uses. At least a parking lot is an active use.

The ideal solution would of course be to properly landscape the greenspace so it could be used and enjoyed by people, but the CTA tracks and Rock Island tracks make it quite a noisy place to "enjoy nature".
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #250
The Urban Politician
The City

Washington Park's problems persist, but more people are willing to take a chance, invest
Chicago's push for the Olympics makes Washington Park a prime candidate for redevelopment, but even if the 2016 Games don't happen here, some people think the neighborhood can make a comeback and gene
By Kathy Bergen and Susan Chandler | TRIBUNE REPORTERS
March 16, 2008

Craig Huffman comes to the private-equity world with a multifaceted set of credentials: two master's degrees from the University of Chicago, stints in the non-profit world, and a stretch as a rehabber of distressed properties.

Now Huffman is ready to make some big money, and he is zeroing in on a real estate market that until recently was all but forgotten: Chicago's Washington Park neighborhood, one of the city's poorest and bleakest.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0.story?page=1
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #251
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Millennium East Plaza is interesting, certainly, but the site plan is uninspiring. The first render seems to show the building as separated from Canal by a strip of parking. The second render shows the building right at the corner, which is more appropriate. I would assume the surface parking isn't going anywhere, but it can at least be shifted further back away from the main streets.
^ yeah, See Wong's website still shows the site plan in which the building has front parking. I'm hopeful that the second rendering is a redo to create a more urban steetscape, perhaps at the urging of city planners. Does anybody know?
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #252
Prairie Avenue

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
If that is true... then he only has about 70'-80' to work with. I am assuming that there is an easement next to the tracks too that would make it even more difficult. I suppose it was done north of here with a 6th story building and hotel rooms (condo-hotel) are usually smaller than your run of the mill apartment/condo. I would assume they are stashing parking on the other side of the tracks.
From what I recall of their roll out there wasn't any real outside parking lot -- it was contained within the hotel. I think just a few spots outside.
Prairie Avenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #253
The Urban Politician
The City

Three South Side sites proposed for mixed-income housing

TIF would enable construction in West Elsdon, Bronzeville and Greater Grand Crossing

Mayor Richard M. Daley introduced separate plans to City Council today to build mixed-income housing in three South Side communities.

"The City uses many development tools to foster new housing opportunities for Chicagoans of all income levels," Mayor Daley said. "These proposals show the many ways in which we support our strong and diverse neighborhood housing stock."

In the West Elsdon community, the City plans to support the construction of 89 single-family homes, 74 townhouses and 18 three-flats near 51st street and Lawndale Avenue. The $61.9 million project, to be built by New West Realty, will provide a total of 181 housing units, of which 36, or 20 percent, will be made affordable for households earning less than the area median income. The plan includes $7.4 million in Tax Increment financing (TIF) assistance or 12 percent of the total project costs.

To date, Chicago's TIF program has committed TIF assistance to the construction or rehabilitation of more than 14,000 residential units, 38 percent of which are affordable units for low-income households.

In the Bronzeville neighborhood, the City plans to contribute a long-vacant parcel of land at 4514 S. Cottage Grove Ave. to the development of a five-story mixed-use building. The developers, Marko Boldum and Art Gurevich, plan to construct 24 condominiums and 6,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space. Three of the condos will be made affordable for households earning less than the area median income. The parcel was recently appraised at $180,000. The City plans to sell the property to the developers for $1. The land write-down is about 2.7 percent of the total project cost.

In the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood, the City plans to contribute a dilapidated playground parcel at 7408 S. Woodlawn Ave. in order to add four more mixed-income housing units to a 90-home project currently being developed by Revere Community Housing Development. The playground will be moved across the street and quadrupled in size through a $400,000 development project, also under consideration by the City Council.
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #254
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I found a site plan for one of the first phases of South Works, a retail center. I'm extremely unimpressed - it belongs in the suburbs, not along Chicago's lakefront.
According to the alderman, it'll be called South Shore Market Commons and, per an illustration flashed in this Trib video report, will bear a striking resemblance to McCaffery's Clarendon Market Common development in Arlington, Va. Did she say there would 150 shops?

http://tinyurl.com/6f5urh
(about 1:40 in)
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #255
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

McCaffery and Antunovich have partnered for 4 other "Market Commons" complexes, but this is the first one outside the East Coast. They all have that wide boulevard/park down the middle, of course - token landscaping financed by retail sales. At least the green space isn't a grassy setback from the street, though - thanks be to God.

I've come to terms with this suburban wanna-be, so long as the rest of South Works is build according to plan. However, who's gonna patronize the high-end, likely chain, stores that will occupy this development?

Arlington Median Household Income: $87,350
South Shore Median Household Income: $31,121

EDIT: Alderman Jackson really seems gung-ho about the South Works development... it's extremely refreshing. Plus, she's not old...

Last edited by ardecila; June 8th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #256
DCT

Likes (Received): 6

That's funny. I was shopping in Market Commons in Arlington just yesterday. Having been there I will say that it feels a little fake. We have a lot of these types of developments all around the DC area. There are the decent chain stores in the Market Commons: Crate and Barrel, an Apple Store, Ann Taylor, Barnes and Noble, and some high-end home entertainment store whose name escapes me. People making only 31k a year might come into these stores to look around, but they might not buy anything.

Overall, the local feel of the area certainly been lost with these types of developments. However, there are some good things about it. It's only a block from a metro station (subway). There are a lot of local stores around. Everything is very pedestrian friendly, built at a human scale, and the buildings properly address the street. There are no blank street walls. There are homes and condos in the buildings as well as all around the neighborhood so local people can easily walk to the shops from where they live.

Perhaps South Works will have the critical mass of people (with a high-enough income) to sustain this.
DCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #257
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Remember this?

Crains is reporting that the developers are very close to signing a couple leases, one of them being with Roundy's. Of course, they've been "very close" to new leases for a while now. Article @ link below:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=30149
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM   #258
spyguy
Expert

http://www.hpherald.com/pg3.html

Antheus buys 5110 S. Harper
Will rehab, likely to become 9 new apartments

By KATE HAWLEY

Antheus Capital has added one more property to its stock of more that 70 Hyde Park buildings; an abandoned greystone on South Harper Avenue that has a history of neglect and rat infestation.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #259
spyguy
Expert

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-...rticleId=30250

Big plans for Pullman
By: Thomas A. Corfman July 14, 2008

Billionaire banker Michael Kelly is picking up where utopian visionary George Pullman left off.

...The 170-acre Ryerson site at 720 E. 111th St. abuts Park National's 10-story office building along the Bishop Ford Freeway and the landmark Pullman District, where many of the buildings from Mr. Pullman's quixotic experiment still stand.

Crain's has learned that Mr. Kelly envisions a development with up to 1,000 single-family homes in keeping with the adjacent Pullman District's architecture, as well as big-box stores. Development on such a scale hasn't been seen on the South Side since the postwar era, and the project could transform a largely dormant industrial area into a new neighborhood.

..."We are going to build a suburban community within the city," says Mr. Beale, whose ward includes the Ryerson site. "We're looking at curved (streets), a gated community, the attached three-car garage."
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #260
spyguy
Expert

From the Hyde Park Progress blog

Antheus Capital's plans for the Village Center, designed by Studio Gang, include a 10 and 24 story building with 170 units, about 116,000 sq. ft. of commercial space, and over 500 parking spaces.