daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #261
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Very "artsy" looking building. I think that I like it.

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #262
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Definitely cool.

Good for Hyde Park. Once the real estate markets are out of the dumpsters, I'm hopeful to see some great new projects down the pipeline.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #263
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Definitely cool.

Good for Hyde Park. Once the real estate markets are out of the dumpsters, I'm hopeful to see some great new projects down the pipeline.
Also the U of C and City are preparing to release an RFP for the development of Harper Court and the city owned parking lot at 53rd & Lake Park. This will be a high density mixed use project.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #264
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I've come to terms with this suburban wanna-be, so long as the rest of South Works is build according to plan. However, who's gonna patronize the high-end, likely chain, stores that will occupy this development?
^ I just saw renderings for "Bridge Street Town Centre" planned in Joliet. I've made up my mind... it's just not worth it to build something of this sort at South Works.

I have nothing but disdain for these kinds of projects. They are not main streets, they make a mockery of them. They are nothing more than outdoor shopping malls with seas of parking that the owner will keep as parking until the bitter end, and I really don't think building a shopping mall is in the best interests of a future lakefront neighborhood like South Works.

I say forget the retail portion altogether and just build housing. If developers can't build retail without giant seas of ugly, permanent surface parking, then to hell with retail.
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #265
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I have nothing but disdain for these kinds of projects. They are not main streets, they make a mockery of them. They are nothing more than outdoor shopping malls with seas of parking that the owner will keep as parking until the bitter end, and I really don't think building a shopping mall is in the best interests of a future lakefront neighborhood like South Works.
Indeed. The plan for Bridge Street Town Centre looks exactly like a typical indoor shopping mall with the roof taken off and the main pedestrian corridors replaced with streets.

Developers love this type of format, because they can cash in on people's yearning for a traditional town setting and save millions on heating/cooling costs (since each store only pays to heat/cool itself and not the common areas).

However, that's no reason to dismiss the "lifestyle center" format entirely. In urban settings with high land values, parking lots can indeed be reclaimed/replaced with garages, whereas low land prices in the suburbs make this pointless. So it seemed like a miracle when, recently, Yorktown Center in Lombard realized that their parking was never full except on Black Friday, so they redeveloped some of it as a lifestyle center. Old Orchard has slowly been shifting their parking into garages, and I've heard rumors that they plan to build a few additional ones and redevelop the remaining lots. If the Yellow Line is extended to the mall, this will be more likely.

Besides, I've seen you heaping praise on the planned shopping center at State and Pershing, which is the same lifestyle center concept, only with a Modernist veneer.

Last edited by ardecila; August 6th, 2008 at 04:44 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #266
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Besides, I've seen you heaping praise on the planned shopping center at State and Pershing, which is the same lifestyle center concept, only with a Modernist veneer.
^ There is a key difference. At State/Pershing part of the parking will be underground, and the lots that will have surface parking already are planned to have highrise residential replace them. Compare that to South Works, where all of the parking is surface parking and there are no plans that any of us have seen or heard of for that parking to be converted into a different use in the future.

Oh, and State & Pershing is a TOD
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #267
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

A South Works streetcar, carrying people to/from Metra Electric, is an integral part of SOM's master plan. I doubt McCaffery will want to pay for it, but who knows. Streetcars are relatively cheap (DC's now building two lines), especially when the roads can be built wide enough to accommodate the tracks, so the city might even be able to shoulder the cost. At any rate, all of South Works is planned as a TOD, which should be obvious from the built density.

I'm not sure high-rises on the parking lots is any more likely at State/Pershing than it is at any other recently-built strip mall in the city. The developer is clearly making lots of promises to placate the planners and get his TIF funds, but whether he is serious about those planned high-rises remains to be seen.

Last edited by ardecila; August 7th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #268
The Urban Politician
The City

Big splash in the HP Herald today. Another irrelevant AlderNimby trying to assert their importance. And all the more reason why I've become bitterly against affordable housing set-asides and the so-called "right" of lower-income people to hang onto prime real estate. If you look further in the Herald, Ald Dowell also writes a belligerently emotional letter to U of C (discussing the low enrollment of African Americans at U of C, as if that has jack squat to do with the land acquisition at hand):

Dowell: University of Chicago buying up land west of Washington Park
Alderman Pat Dowell to University of Chicago: Respect our Community Alderman, university clash over acquisition plan
By Kate Hawley
Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd) said Friday that the University of Chicago has begun acquiring land just west of Washington Park - in an historic foray west of the Hyde Park neighborhood.
The university, which only in the last decade ventured south of Hyde Park into Woodlawn, has its eye on at least 15 privately owned parcels along Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Garfield Boulevard (see map and list of addresses), according to Dowell.
The university wants the land "to satisfy their future development needs.
They believe that Garfield Boulevard is the gateway to the University of Chicago campus," she said.
Dowell said she's "disappointed" that the university has left the local community out of the loop about its plans, since the acquisitions could have a major impact on her ward.
The lots under negotiation fall in both the 3rd and the 20th wards. Dowell said she will reach out to other local aldermen as the university's acquisition plans move forward.
A university official confirmed that negotiations are underway but disputed Dowell's characterization of the university's dealings with her office.
"I can confirm that the university is in a variety of different stages in purchasing a modest amount of property in the Garfield Boulevard and King Drive intersection," said Sonya Malunda, assistant vice president and director of community affairs for the university. She declined to name the specific parcels, citing the ongoing negotiations.
"The university's planned acquisitions are just one piece of a larger puzzle," Malunda said. She did not give details about what that larger plan might comprise.
"The university would not initiate that conversation," she said, adding, "It is our hope that we can work with the city, the community and local alderman to craft a redevelopment vision."
Any comprehensive plan for the area would require the university to work closely with the city, which owns many vacant lots in the Washington Park neighborhood, she said.
According to Dowell, university officials told her in March that no negotiations to buy properties had begun, but when she met again with officials in June, negotiations had started for eight properties.
Dowell expressed anger that she and her community hadn't been included, accusing the university of "land banking" - holding property for development planned far down the line. That could prove detrimental to the 3rd Ward, long plagued with vacant and underused lots, she argued.
"Their eyes are bigger than their stomachs, Dowell said, of university officials. "They're being greedy."
And she said that if the university pays top dollar for the properties, it could have a destabilizing effect on land values in a neighborhood.
Malunda countered, "I can't see how the purchase of a handful of parcels will drive the market for Washington Park."
The broader goal of purchasing the land is to "help facilitate economic development west of the park, in partnership with others," she said. "We look forward to providing community benefits" as part of a redevelopment plan, she added.
Dowell said the university's dealings so far had left her unconvinced of its motives. "I will not use any of my power as an alderman to support the University of Chicago until they agree to work with my office and the community in a transparent and honest way," she said.
While aldermen can't stop private property from changing hands, they do have the power to approve or deny zoning changes that developers may need in order to proceed with a project.
Part of Dowell's anger appeared to stem from the university's track record of dealing with communities as it expands. In a June 26 letter to university president Robert Zimmer (see letter), she wrote, "Considering the history of the university's development initiatives, it is not difficult to understand why the African American community in Chicago's South Side would have a negative perception of them."
Malunda conceded that, "the university has had a mixed history with the community over five to six decades." But the tide has shifted, she argued.
"Over the last decade we've worked really hard to develop partnerships and programs that benefit the South Side," she said.

SUMMARY

The University of Chicago has its eye on the following properties, according to a "Land Acquisition Map" that university officials provided Dowell at a June meeting. Dowell said a few projects already had been purchased, and Cook County records show that transactions have been completed in recent weeks on three properties.

Likely already purchased:
356 E. Garfield Blvd.
344 E. Garfield Blvd.
301 E. 55th St.

Under negotiation:

226 E. 56th St.
323 E. 55th St.
325 E. 55th St.
331 E. 55th St.
371 E. 55th St. (western half of parcel)

Planned for future acquisition:
305 E. 55th St.
309 E. 55th St.
315 E. 55th St.
353 E. 55th St.
365 E. 55th St.
370 E. Garfield Blvd.
371 E. 55th St. (eastern half of parcel)
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #269
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Big splash in the HP Herald today. Another irrelevant AlderNimby trying to assert their importance. And all the more reason why I've become bitterly against affordable housing set-asides and the so-called "right" of lower-income people to hang onto prime real estate. If you look further in the Herald, Ald Dowell also writes a belligerently emotional letter to U of C (discussing the low enrollment of African Americans at U of C, as if that has jack squat to do with the land acquisition at hand):
And what has the community done for itself in the past two decades? Garfield is really a mess, and particularly the stretch just West of King Drive. Nothing but a bunch of disheveled empty lots and abandoned buildings. Oh, there is the liquor store that you need to stand in front of while waiting for the bus from the green line - that's still open. I take the green line to the Garfield stop all the time, but would never recommend that route to out of towners - it just looks scary.

Meanwhile, for better or worse, Garfield is one of the main entrances to the University - the other being LSD - and it gives a very, very poor first impression.

I'd imagine that the campus is tired of waiting and is finally doing something about the situation themselves. I say "finally, and good luck!"
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #270
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

I have no problem with the University buying lots and buildings anywhere. However, they do not have a great record of saving such buildings, even when the buildings are terrific vintage structures.

I hope they are not planning to clear-cut the area.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #271
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearNorthGuy View Post
I hope they are not planning to clear-cut the area.
A non-issue in this case as most of the area immediately to the west of the park has already been clear-cut through decades of total neglect.
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #272
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/124...hyde28.article

Hyde Park condos may replace shopping plaza
REAL ESTATE |
150-unit project has resident support, needs city OK

October 28, 2008

BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN [email protected]/[email protected]

A developer has asked city officials for authority to tear down a 1960s shopping plaza in Hyde Park and replace it with high-rise housing built over new stores and offices.

The project involves a 2.5-acre parcel at 5101 S. Harper, currently the home of the Village Center shopping mall. The property owner, Antheus Capital LLC, wants to build 150 condominiums atop a parking structure and a commercial base.

.......Eli Ungar, Antheus chairman, said the company is well-capitalized and isn't afraid of starting its project in a slow market for home sales. "Hyde Park is different," he said. "It hasn't seen a lot of new construction in the last 20 years."

.......The proposal groups the condos in a 22-story building and a separate mid-rise. Peter Cassel, Antheus' director of community development, said they will be connected by parking for 519 cars and 116,000 square feet for retailers or offices.
Full article in link

Sun-Times photo
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #273
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Oakwood and Lake Park
66 units total

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #274
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=32472

Lawsuit seeks to halt planned Hyde Park project
By Eddie Baeb, Jan. 05, 2009

The owner of the Village Foods grocery store in Hyde Park has sued to stop a developer’s plans to demolish the Village Center shopping/office complex and build a 24-story residential tower and shopping center there.

The plans, which were detailed in October as part of a zoning amendment request made by New Jersey-based Antheus Capital LLC, would “almost certainly result in the total destruction of plaintiff’s business,” Village Foods’ owner Liberty Foods Corp. alleges in a lawsuit filed Dec. 23 in Cook County Circuit Court.
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #275
spyguy
Expert

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....uist.html#more

Philip Enquist on the Lakefront Master Plan
Blair Kamin

...The developer is responsible for providing public access along the slip. There will be waterfront houses, cafes and more.

...In the Burnham Plan, there was a proposal for a very large industrial harbor. We propose a 1,000-boat marina.

...Public transportation will be supported by three Metra stations and bus lines near and through the project. South Shore Drive will be rebuilt to be less a truck route and more a pedestrian-friendly boulevard.

A giant breakwater that protects the mouth of the Calumet could provide wind energy, if we could locate windmills on it. That part of Lake Michigan is especially deep and cold and might be a way to provide cooling at reduced energy rates.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #276
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Sounds ambitious, which is good or bad.

Good: Make no small plans--yea!

Bad: Never ends up happening. Ay caramba!
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #277
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=32807

Hyde Park’s Rosenwald apartment complex on the market

Chicago-based brokerage firm Melvin M. Kaplan Realty Inc. has been hired to sell the Rosenwald, a historic two-building apartment complex with a total of 447 units at 4600 S. Michigan Ave. in Hyde Park, says George Kaplan, executive vice-president with the company. The buildings total 465,544 square feet, with 16,400 square feet of first-floor retail, and are owned by AMA Realty Group LLC, which bought the complex in 2003 for $8 million, according to public records. The complex was built in 1929 by Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Co., with the goal of providing quality, affordable housing for working-class families.
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #278
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Seeing the Rosenwald going into new hands makes me worry. It will still be mothballed for another five years (at least) with five more years of risk of water getting in the roof and windows.

The current owners have kept it sealed, so they claim. What about the future owners? I don't trust the city to enforce the sealing of buildings, especially historic buildings, e.g., the city allowed the stunning St. Boniface School building to remain unsealed. The result? The interior floors rotted and collapsed, leading to complete demolition of the school, which stood next to the always-threatened St. Boniface Church.

Hear that, city? Force the new owners to keep the Rosenwald sealed. And to Pat Dowell, please just landmark the darn thing.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #279
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Full article in link

Sun-Times photo
Wow that is fugly.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #280
spyguy
Expert

From McCaffery

The Market Common, SouthShore
Chicago, Illinois
Features

* 1 Million SF Retail
* 17,000 Residential Units
* 1,500 Slip Marina
* Total Retail: 1,000,000 SF
(Grand Opening 1Q 2012)
* Total Residential at Completion: 17,000 Units
* Residential Phase 1 Breakdown: (To Open with 1,000,000 SF of Retail)
* Residential Above Retail: 250 Units
* Tower Residential: 594 Units/ 3 Towers @ 22 Stories
* Town homes: 136 Units
* Total Residential: 980 Units