daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #281
milepig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=32807

Hyde Park’s Rosenwald apartment complex on the market

Chicago-based brokerage firm Melvin M. Kaplan Realty Inc. has been hired to sell the Rosenwald, a historic two-building apartment complex with a total of 447 units at 4600 S. Michigan Ave. in Hyde Park, says George Kaplan, executive vice-president with the company. The buildings total 465,544 square feet, with 16,400 square feet of first-floor retail, and are owned by AMA Realty Group LLC, which bought the complex in 2003 for $8 million, according to public records. The complex was built in 1929 by Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Co., with the goal of providing quality, affordable housing for working-class families.
Just noting that 6400 S. Michigan is not in Hyde Park. That's probably Bronzeville?
milepig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #282
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Roundy's has signed a lease for Metropolis, according to CRED, but the project is now 123,000 sq ft (rather than 330,000) and the condos have been dropped.

So this is now basically a grocery and drug-anchored neighborhood strip center, I guess. I predict Roundy's, a CVS, a cell phone store, a Dock's Fish, and three vacant storefronts in which starry-eyed entrepreneurs will occasionally open "African jewelry" boutiques and slowly eat through their savings. Better than nothing at State/Pershing, but not what we'd hoped for.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #283
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Perhaps they will design it so that more elements can be added in later
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM   #284
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Here are some renders of the current renovations of U.S. Cellular Field. I am a bit confused though. It doesnt look like anything is new, just a redesign of the existing ramp.

http://www.isfauthority.com/managex/...iclesource=250

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #285
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...age.pl?id=2166

Chicago: Grand Imperial Hotel, 2014-2126 S. Clark St, 175-room hotel, September 2009, $50 million.

---
Grand Imperial Hotel

Lobby

Mystery condo building (Eastern Tower) at Archer and Wallace

18th and Canal

Last edited by spyguy; March 8th, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #286
InTheValley

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=spyguy;33275172]http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...age.pl?id=2166

Chicago: Grand Imperial Hotel, 2014-2126 S. Clark St, 175-room hotel, September 2009, $50 million.

---
Mystery condo building (Eastern Tower) at Archer and Webster

great find as always.....Can you tell me that you meant something else other than "Webster" I am confused as to where this is ....I thought that webster is in lincoln park?
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #287
spyguy
Expert

^Oops. That should be Archer and Wallace.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #288
chrome13

They want to turn Chinatown into a big Walgreens strip mall?

Did we turn the clock back to 1973?
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #289
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

What is going at the "Eastern Tower" in that photo? Is that a full garage or is that a mall with parking on top?
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #290
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
What is going at the "Eastern Tower" in that photo? Is that a full garage or is that a mall with parking on top?
^ I think it's a mall with parking on top.

The plans look okay to me. The "strip mall" at least has shops built to the sidewalk, so it's not as aesthetically offensive as, say, if it were just a traditional strip mall set back from the street by a giant parking lot
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #291
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

I agree, even though the architecture is banal and I generally loathe one level retail buildings I can appreciate the building meets the sidewalk. Small but important victory.
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #292
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=33439

Money partner drops out of South Works plan
By: Alby Gallun and John Pletz March 25, 2009

A key partner has dropped out of the massive development proposed on the former South Works steel mill site, but the property’s lead developer has no plans to find a replacement as it pushes ahead with the long-awaited project on the south lakefront.

Lubert-Adler Funds, a Philadelphia-based real estate firm, has pulled out of the 530-acre development about five years after committing to it, says Daniel McCaffery, president of McCaffery Interests Inc., the project’s lead partner.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #293
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I think it's a mall with parking on top.

The plans look okay to me. The "strip mall" at least has shops built to the sidewalk, so it's not as aesthetically offensive as, say, if it were just a traditional strip mall set back from the street by a giant parking lot
Maybe - if this were being built in Schaumburg. But it's not. Its in Chicago - with solid transit access. Raise your standards.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM   #294
spyguy
Expert

http://www.gazettechicago.com/index/?p=177

Supermarket coming to Bronzeville
By Trish Hoffman and Jeff Fisher

Capri Capital Partners LLC of Chicago has signed a long-term lease agreement with Roundy’s Supermarkets Inc. of Milwaukee, WI, to be the anchor store at the Metropolis, a $50 million commercial and retail development at State Street and Pershing Road.

...“Roundy’s will be part of a great shopping experience for the Bronzeville neighborhood,” said Stephen D. Lane, a partner in Capri’s asset management and development area. “The development is aligned with green design principles and will include a nicely landscaped plaza that will provide an inviting, comfortable place for the community to gather.”

The new Roundy’s will measure 60,000 square feet and will open in fall 2010.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #295
chrome13

Per the Sun-Times today, the Grand Imperial Hotel is on hold.
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #296
The Urban Politician
The City

^ http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder08.article
DYNASTY ON HOLD: Ancient Chinese dynasties were supposed to provide the design inspiration for a new hotel near McCormick Place. And the developer, See Wong, insists his ambitious Grand Imperial Hotel will rise at the southwest corner of Clark and Archer. It'll just take a little longer.

Wong said his 15-story hotel is on hold because of the credit crunch. "The banks want 30 percent to 40 percent equity," he said. "It used to be 20 percent." Builders have dreams, after all, so long as somebody else is writing the checks. Wong has zoning approval for the hotel, which promises to stand out with a pagoda-style roof.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #297
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,5438800.story

Exelon plans to build solar power plant on Chicago's South Side
Company would rely on Energy Department loan guarantees for $60 million project

By Joshua Boak | Tribune reporter
April 22, 2009

Exelon Corp. will unveil on Wednesday plans to build a $60 million solar power plant on Chicago's South Side, a small step to fighting climate change that leans heavily on government funding due to the high cost of turning sunlight into electricity..............

The advantage of solar power is panels do not have to be clustered in one location, unlike a nuclear, gas or coal plant. Exelon would install 32,800 panels on a 39-acre former industrial site in Chicago's West Pullman neighborhood, the largest project in a U.S. urban center.

The SunPower Corp.-made panels would track the sun's path, maximizing exposure. Gray Chicago skies should not be an obstacle, said Julie Blunden, vice president of public policy for SunPower.

"Chicago has better sun than Germany," Blunden said. "And Germany is the largest solar market in the world today."...........
From Tribune

An aerial-view rendering of the proposed Exelon Chicago Solar Power Plant. (Exelon)
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM   #298
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Good stuff!
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM   #299
spyguy
Expert

53rd and Cornell
53rd and Cornell is a unique high-rise mixed-use residential building near the University of Chicago in historic Hyde Park. This 22-story student/faculty residential building contains 218-market-rate apartment units for the University with the Chicago shoreline as a front yard. The project also includes 200 structured parking spaces along with 7,500 sq. ft. of ground floor retail space. Situated above the parking levels at the base of the tower is a verdant resident park with walking paths and shaded congregation areas.

Market Common

Old May 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM   #300
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

is that market common part of hte south works project?

ugh, i hate the prevalence of all the parking space, but i guess it's a necessary evil considering how underserved by transit and other economic development that area is.