daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #21
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Jeez, I lived across the street! Small world. I'm glad to see that the retirement community is doing well.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #22
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story0706b.htm

Hansberry Square brings both hope and concern
By Stacie Johnson

The site that once held the world’s largest public housing project soon will hold one of the largest redevelopment projects on the South Side. Yet some former residents of the area’s public housing and other locals are concerned that, despite promises by City officials, they will be overlooked or further displaced in the process.

Last month the City of Chicago broke ground on the former site of the notorious Robert Taylor Homes for Hansberry Square, a 12-acre development located along 41st and State Streets. The $66 million project, named after the late Chicago author of A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry, will provide 238 housing units consisting of 181 rental apartments and 57 houses, condominiums, and two-flats. Hansberry Square is part of a larger development in the Bronzeville area known as Legends South.

The 100-acre, $850 million Legends South neighborhood will contain 2,388 mixed-income, affordable, and market-rate rental units, condominiums, and houses, according to Michaels Development Co., the project’s contractor.

Some former and current residents, as well as business owners, remain concerned that they will not benefit from the improvements, however. Community activist Beauty Turner, a former Robert Taylor resident and current editor of the Residents’ Journal, said that though some units were set aside for public housing, there are not enough for all CHA residents on the waiting list vying for those units.

In addition, “A lot of residents will not be able to get in,” Turner said, “because of the criteria and requirements set by CHA” (the Chicago Housing Authority).

CHA criteria range from employment and credit history to childcare and housekeeping habits. Also, CHA residents will pay 30% percent of their income for rental units, a figure Turner said is going to be difficult for some voucher holders or welfare recipients.

“People are not receiving income like they used to from the [Federal] welfare system,” said Turner. “Most are just getting food stamps with no income coming to them at all.”

The CHA has said Robert Taylor residents who lived in the development before Oct. 1, 1999, will receive first consideration for the Hansberry Square rentals.

In the meantime, the project is moving full-steam ahead, and Hansberry Square is the first onsite phase at the former Robert Taylor Homes land.

“We plan to have just two offsite phases in this project, and six to ten on-site phases over the projected
ten years,” said Whitney Weller, vice president of development for Michaels Development Co.

The first phase of Legends South, Mahalia Homes, was offsite, near but not on Robert Taylor Homes land. Mahalia Homes is located at 166 E. 43rd St. Completed in 2004, it contains 110 rental units.

Since opening in 1962, the Robert Taylor Homes, a two-mile row of 16-story brick buildings, housed approximately 25,000 people in 28 buildings. Today, only one building, located at 5135 S. Federal St., still stands. It houses 50 families but is scheduled for demolition by the end of this year.

Approximately 11,000 people left Robert Taylor Homes, relocating mostly to public housing or privately owned housing with subsidies in the Englewood, Roseland, and South Shore communities, said Turner.

The CHA’s ten-year public housing retransformation plan currently is in its seventh year.

Since the plan’s inception the agency has built 15,000 replacement housing units and plans 10,000 more citywide.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #23
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

I've always wondered, in the midst of this HOPE VI project or whatever it's called, what happens to the many residents who don't qualify for the new housing, but do but are left out due to minimal room? Where can they go?
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #24
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra
I've always wondered, in the midst of this HOPE VI project or whatever it's called, what happens to the many residents who don't qualify for the new housing, but do but are left out due to minimal room? Where can they go?
Time to get a life. Start with leave the 'hood,' then detox, then job training, and then, as with the rest of us, work like hell. Agreed, if all that fails to make it, then a public agency or institution is in order. Clearly there will be a percentage of the population that just can't make it without real assistance, but it should be a two-way street--get and give.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #25
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra
This is actually a major source of controversy with this project. There have been a few lawsuits filed, in relation to federal desegregation orders that the City must still comply with from 30+ years ago (even this long, they never fully remedied the situation as they were ordered to). Many have relocted to inner rim suburbs, resulting in those communities economic status drop exponentially, and similar segretion patterns emerging. Not sure where those suits are at, but a year ago they were still working their way through the system.
MRichR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #26
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie
Time to get a life. Start with leave the 'hood,' then detox, then job training, and then, as with the rest of us, work like hell. Agreed, if all that fails to make it, then a public agency or institution is in order. Clearly there will be a percentage of the population that just can't make it without real assistance, but it should be a two-way street--get and give.
No shit. I dont mind people on welfare trying to work like everyone else and get back on their feet. But the others, people who have no urgency to get a job, any job, just happy to live off welfare...**** EM. Get the **** out of my city, and state. If you can't measure up to the new CHA requirements, **** you. If you have no place to go, so be it. You ****ed around for years living of society and now you dont have a safety net from the city. Too bad, I dont have one bit of sympathy for you. If the requirements are too difficult, move to another city where they will let you leech of their economy. Chicago will not miss you and most likely will you show the door. Chicago is going in a different direction and you arent a part of its future anymore.

The CHA requirements arent strict, they dont require $60,000 salaries or college degrees.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #27
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1
No shit. I dont mind people on welfare trying to work like everyone else and get back on their feet. But the others, people who have no urgency to get a job, any job, just happy to live off welfare...**** EM. Get the **** out of my city, and state. If you can't measure up to the new CHA requirements, **** you. If you have no place to go, so be it. You ****ed around for years living of society and now you dont have a safety net from the city. Too bad, I dont have one bit of sympathy for you. If the requirements are too difficult, move to another city where they will let you leech of their economy. Chicago will not miss you and most likely will you show the door. Chicago is going in a different direction and you arent a part of its future anymore.

The CHA requirements arent strict, they dont require $60,000 salaries or college degrees.
While I agree in some sense with your sentiment of "if you **** away the chances you've been given, screw you," I think you should realize my concern that some of these people who can't qualify for new CHA housing probably *won't* have the means to relocate or move. So what do these un-relocatable people do? Join the ranks of hobos? Get pushed to crime? Not good for the city to just forget about them.
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #28
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

If they join the ranks of the hobos (which Im sure some already have), it is what it is. What do you want the city to do? Someone has to get tough on these people or it will stay the same. They already go to crime if you didnt know. The city's requirements SHOULD be a jumpstart to their lives, not some kind of punishment or penalty. Its not like the city is giving up on them, its just saying "You want to be here? Contribute to our city in a postive way. If you choose not to, your out". I think every big city in the nation should adopt this attitude. Its not about poor people. I have nothing against hard working, honest, poor Americans. Its the poor people with the "I dont give a ****" attitude that need to go. I dont feel sorry for them, they feel they are owed something. Well now, they arent owed a place to stay. **** em.

They have a choice to meet the requirements, thats the thing. So if they end up hobos, tough shit. You cant expect the city to feel sorry for them with no place to go because they lost their safety net and choose to be bums. No one is forcing their struggling lifestyle upon them. If they can find friends in another city where they can maintain their lazy worth ethic, great. They are someone else's problem.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #29
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

your'e still missing my point. I was not simply stating a worrisome concern that they become hobos, i was more stating a worrisome concern for the quality of life of this city when the number of hobos and criminals increases. more aggressive panhandling, more criminal incidents... this is not for the sake of the people perpetrating them but for the honest people who are victims of them.

I don't view welfare or public housing or anything like that as something to help the poor but really to help the community at large, because you can say "**** them" and let social darwinism take place, but guess what, those poor people are still around and they still want to live, even if that means disrupting the lives of people who had better fortunes or better skills.

My main worry is not that people won't have a place to go (many will), but that those that don't will have a percentage of them who resort to aggressive pandling and a smaller percentage of that who resort to violent crime.

Last edited by simulcra; July 10th, 2006 at 07:51 AM.
simulcra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #30
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

One of the last remaining classic theatre houses on the south side (on 53rd st, Hyde Park) which has been threatened with demolition by its owner (University of Chicago) may yet be saved. Click the link below and read the article on the cover page, 'Music Box Eyes Harper Theatre':

http://www.hpherald.com/
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #31
The Urban Politician
The City

Can I be stickied?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:11 PM   #32
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
One of the last remaining classic theatre houses on the south side (on 53rd st, Hyde Park) which has been threatened with demolition by its owner (University of Chicago) may yet be saved. Click the link below and read the article on the cover page, 'Music Box Eyes Harper Theatre':

http://www.hpherald.com/
The theater and the attached vintage corner commericial building at the northwest corner of 53rd and Harper is one of the most-watched sites in Hyde Park, second perhaps only to Promontory Point.

The theater has had many groups put their toes in the water and then run across the beach to dry ground. Currently, there is one more group going through the toe-dipping process.

Thankfully, the U of C is not rushing to demolition. Let's see what happens.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #33
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Can I be stickied?
Huh???
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #34
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Ok I got it, yeah really what is up with all the stickies its pretty annoying actually
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #35
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Wow. that thread literally is gone. No 404 error, no redirect. Just a blank page.

http://skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-152116
government conspiracy??
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #36
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
If you guys go to Chicago's Dept of Planning and Devt website you'll see a new press release about some development planned at 47th and Cottage Grove, a long vacant site. It will have some residential units as well as a three story commercial building with a masonry facade. Does anybody know any more about this (renderings, etc)?
^ Well, I finally found the answer to this question. This was posted by Spyguy at SSP:

Development to bring retail to Cottage Grove corridor
Wednesday August 23 2006
Daniel Duggan

A proposed development aims to bring shops and condos to the under-retailed Cottage Grove corridor on the city’s Southside.

The development is in the early stages, being developed by Mohagony Ventures, a partnership between Columbus-based firms of Skilken and Troy enterprises. It will bring 50,000 square feet of retail and 170 residential units to the city block between Cottage Grove and Evans avenues, and 47th and 48th streets.

“With this project, the retail will be an equal partner to the residential,” says Frank Petruziello, a managing partner with Mohagony. “In a lot of developments, the retail is an afterthought, put in the place where no one wants to live. Retail is the prime reason for this; we’re trying to revitalize the Cottage Grove area.”

Currently in the entitlement stages, Petruziello expects to have construction start in one year.

Leasing will be handled by Mohagony, which is hoping to find a coffee shop, a convenience store, some restaurants and other local retail uses.

When asked why target the city’s Southside, Petruziello is quick to answer.

“Because 90 percent of the retail dollars are going elsewhere,” he says. “We’re just trying to bring the basic services back to that neighborhood.”

Old September 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #37
The Urban Politician
The City

Grand Terrace Condos near 39th & King. Plans are to convert the former Ritz Hotel. It wil have ground-level shops:

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #38
The Urban Politician
The City

More TOD along the Orange Line:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed
HOME BUILDING: Ron Benach launches fourth venture

Tribune staff
Published October 11, 2006

Ron Benach, who has founded three Chicago-area home-building companies and built each into one of the largest residential builders in the region, is starting his fourth company, tentatively named Lexington Homes.

Benach, 74, is chairman of the new venture and is joined by his son, Jeff Benach, who will be executive vice president of sales and marketing; Chief Executive Wayne Moretti; and Chief Financial Officer Max Plzak.

All worked at Concord Homes, which the elder Benach founded in 1992 and sold in 2002 to Lennar Corp.

The new company will focus on high-density residential development in Chicago and close-in suburbs, said Jeff Benach. He said the company plans to begin sales for a development of 450 units near 48th Street and Western Avenue in the spring.

The elder Benach started 3H Development in 1962 and sold it to US Home in 1972. He launched an earlier Lexington Homes in 1974 and sold it to Westinghouse in 1989 before founding Concord Homes in 1992.
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #39
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

mag mile south
4051-53 and 4057 South Michigan Avenue

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #40
The Urban Politician
The City