daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #381
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra View Post
What's the BOOOOO for? Metropolis is there, like it or not, and I'd rather a filled-in strip mall than a vacant strip mall. And it's not *really* a strip-mall, it's just not as urban/property-line-aligning as it could be. Areas in the south side are not exactly spoiled for choice in retail developments right now.
^ Uhhh.....what project are you talking about?

The project I'm talking about hasn't even broken ground yet.

And I disagree with you: I'd rather see a strip mall be vacant than filled. At least if it's vacant, it's an easier site to redevelop..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #382
Ordoseclorum

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ BOOOO!!!

And stop calling it "Metropolis". That piece of shit suburban strip-hell-hole resembles nothing of the sort
I wouldn't want to live in Metropolis, but--unless I misunderstand which development this is--it's at Pershing and State where there are blocks upon blocks of unused land, right? I'd love to go back in time and boo the "urban renewal" plans that bulldozed neighborhoods and built nightmarish towers there, but at this point we have to take what we can get in this area, right? If there's a supermarket and other amenities there, it might solidify the neighborhood, make the Bronzeville more attractive in general, and we can then get some high quality developments near the parts that have retained their original character. Then, once the neighborhood is strong, we can work on getting quality infill spreading out from the quality core.

I hate to see low quality stuff in any area where we should expect high quality. In this location--again, unless I'm confused about that intersection--I'm happy to see any investment.
Ordoseclorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #383
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

No, you're correct.

Bronzeville has beautiful old building stock, good transit access, and a major university. I'd be seriously surprised if it doesn't become the next Lakeview or something in the next 20 years.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #384
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
^ Uhhh.....what project are you talking about?

The project I'm talking about hasn't even broken ground yet.

And I disagree with you: I'd rather see a strip mall be vacant than filled. At least if it's vacant, it's an easier site to redevelop..
I meant "it's there" in a "it's a done deal" not a physical presence way.

That being said, talking about desiring to see a vacant strip mall is a really callous attitude to have toward parts of Chicago long neglected due to issues of race. Walk through the black belt a bit and experience how desperately people even want just a coffee shop (see South Shore coverage about starbucks breaking ground some years back). While I'm certainly not happy with how Metropolis is turning/turned out, I would never wish it failure. Rather, I would wish it such astronomical success that better, more talented developers start swooping into the area with better projects. The South Loop had to start with Dearborn Park, remember.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM   #385
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yes, and Lincoln Park and Lakeview started with big-box retail corridors along Clybourn and Elston decades before Best Buy was opening on Clark Street and Home Depot on Halsted.

State Street is well-positioned to form a retail corridor for Bronzeville and Bridgeport because it has miles of cleared land and immediate highway access. Placing these businesses out here will hopefully allow for denser, more urban development along the lake, following the North Side pattern.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM   #386
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...540,full.story

Chicago nears goal to add 4,000 apartments for seniors
By Jane Adler

Oakwood Shores Senior Apartments, 3750 S. Cottage Grove Ave.:
The financing for this project is set to close this summer, and construction will start shortly thereafter. The $18.5 million building, which is expected to open in the fall of 2011, has 76 apartments. Rent is 30 percent of the resident's monthly income. The building includes some units for those with higher incomes. The project is part of Oakwood Shores, the redevelopment of the area formerly occupied by the Ida B. Wells public housing project.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:00 AM   #387
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I don't recall if this is the same building that is supposed to have 2 levels of commercial space, but it doesn't appear to be so in the rendering below. However, there does appear to be some commercial space on the ground level.

It's really nice to see this area fill in with development such as this.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM   #388
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

I would have prefered them to just renovate the old housing projects and turn them into apartments, senior housing, etc. instead of razing them completely and putting lame stuff like this in its place..... atleast its not another lame 3 story condo....
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM   #389
urbanpln

Quote:
^ I don't recall if this is the same building that is supposed to have 2 levels of commercial space, but it doesn't appear to be so in the rendering below. However, there does appear to be some commercial space on the ground level.

It's really nice to see this area fill in with development such as this.
No. That development is located at 47th & Cottage Grove.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #390
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
No. That development is located at 47th & Cottage Grove.
??? that doesn't seem to mesh with the street numbering.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:18 AM   #391
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I think he's talking about Shops & Lofts. 47th and Cottage Grove is where that's located
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #392
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

South Works site

Quote:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-aldermen.html

Major development at old South Works site gets thumbs up from aldermen

June 03, 2010

Posted by John Byrne at 2:30 p.m.

A massive lakefront housing and shopping development pegged for a former South Side steel mill took another step toward becoming reality today when the City Council Zoning Committee signed off on it.

The panel gave a thumbs up to a proposal by a development group including Chicago-based McCaffery Interests to build condominiums, apartments and a million square feet of retail space on the northern 77 acres of the 400-acre former U.S. Steel South Works site near 79th Street east of U.S. 41.

The site has been empty since the plant closed in 1992.

The committee also endorsed an overall plan laying out zoning specifications for the rest of the site, which stretches south to around 87th Street. But since the developers expect it will take decades to complete the project, Ald. John Pope said they will come back to the Zoning Committee down the road to seek approval of specific plans for those parts.

Pope, 10th, whose ward straddles the location, said he sees it as a "regional draw" that will give retailers a reason to open up in a neighborhood that now has a dearth of places for residents to shop.

"A lot of residents in the area have to go to the suburbs, Northwest Indiana or downtown to do basic shopping, which is currently not available," Pope said.

The city plans to dedicate nearly $100 million in revenue generated through rising property taxes on the site to help cover the cost of laying roads and putting in other infrastructure, Pope said.

The full City Council will consider the plan next week.
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #393
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...rmak14.article

Vacant factory could see life as 200-room hotel

June 14, 2010

BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters
Developers have proposed turning a vacant industrial giant on the Near South Side into a hotel serving Chinatown, Pilsen and McCormick Place.

An investment group has requested a zoning change for 465 W. Cermak, a 101-year-old factory that has been vacant for years. It sits in a small landmark district that honors the city's industrial past.

The zoning application calls for converting the five-story building into a 200-room hotel, with about 120,000 square feet for stores and restaurants.

Rolando Acosta, an attorney for the project, said the 450,000-square-foot building could draw both convention goers and business from the surrounding neighborhoods.

The owners are a partnership run by Christine Chuning, whom Acosta described as a Chinatown investor. Ray Chin, a developer and construction manager of public works projects around Chicago, is managing the project.

Acosta said other investors could enter the deal over time. Chin, he said, has talked to potential hotel operators and has contacts with investors in China.

"There's a cluster of four buildings in this landmark district," Acosta said. "Doing something with this building could get something started with the other three."

He noted that the city has looked at the buildings as being part of a future Pilsen arts district.

Ald. Danny Solis, whose 25th Ward includes the project, said he supports the plans and believes the investors can arrange the financing.

"The clientele would be Chinese business people," he said. "Chinatown is a key community for this."

He said Chinatown has been growing despite the recession and a few foreclosures.

New hotels in the vicinity have been a tough sell. Separate plans for a 1,000-room operation next to the convention complex and for a hotel decorated in the theme of ancient Chinese dynasties have been blocked by the economy and lack of financing.

The market, however, could get new attention in the years ahead. In the McCormick Place reform legislation enacted this month, one provision increases the convention center's bonding authority by up to $2.5 million to plan a new hotel on its property.

McCormick Place has one hotel, a Hyatt. Trade show managers have said McCormick Place would get more business if conventioneers could avoid bus or taxi trips to downtown lodging.

The 465 W. Cermak building is listed in city records as the W.M. Hoyt Co. Building, but it was often called the Premium Plastics Building for a company that had it for many years.

It is part of the Cermak Road Bridge District, enacted by the City Council in 2006. City landmark documents said it recognizes the last "double leaf Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge" in Chicago.

The buildings "represent an almost vanished aspect of Chicago's historical industrial streetscapes" and show the linkage between river and rail networks, said a city report on the district.

That would be awesome if this goes through. Would love to see the other three buildings in the district be put to similar reuse as well.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #394
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/240...tion18.article

Salvation Army community center for West Pullman

June 18, 2010

BY DAVID ROEDER Staff Reporter
The Chicago Plan Commission approved a Salvation Army community center and athletic facilities for West Pullman on Thursday.

The $64 million development is funded by a $109 million donation to the Salvation Army by Joan Kroc, late widow of McDonald's founder Ray Kroc. The additional money will be applied to an endowment for operating funds and scholarships, said Maj. David Harvey of the charitable group.
Harvey said the group still needs to raise $6 million for the endowment and that it already has raised about $18 million from other sources..............
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM   #395
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Bronzeville Cookin' - 51st and Prairie

---
Shoreland Hotel recommended for landmark status

Host to luminaries like Amelia Earhart, Elvis Presley and visiting professional baseball teams, Hyde Park's historic Shoreland Hotel was recommended today as an official Chicago landmark.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM   #396
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Bronzeville Cookin' - 51st and Prairie

---
Shoreland Hotel recommended for landmark status

Host to luminaries like Amelia Earhart, Elvis Presley and visiting professional baseball teams, Hyde Park's historic Shoreland Hotel was recommended today as an official Chicago landmark.
whats that new building? looks nice
is that a name?
bronzeville cookin?
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM   #397
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
whats that new building? looks nice
is that a name?
bronzeville cookin?
It's an existing building (nearly 100 years old). This will be a rehab project.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #398
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Just judging off the picture, that doesn't look like much of anything to try to preserve in my opinion
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #399
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
Just judging off the picture, that doesn't look like much of anything to try to preserve in my opinion
Does the neighborhood really need more demolition? This preserves an existing dense, urban building right next to an L station... the alternative, given that this is Washington Park, is probably something that looks like an Applebee's surrounded by a parking lot. Having a restaurant near the station will help to deter street crime along 51st, too.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #400
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

new community garden in englewood

549 W. 63rd Street

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=7555490
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote