daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #441
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I personally know folks that said "if I wanted Lincoln Park I would have move there". Many said they didn't want all the outsider coming into Beverly to dine or shop. This project would not have increase traffic or outsider coming into the community but the perception was enough to frighten many residents.
The only way to sway these kinds of people is through their wallets. Show how new denser developments will benefit the town as a whole and prevent a tax hike and suddenly the same project looks a lot more appealing.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #442
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
This proposal has really made me upset, its just another project in a long endless line that guts and ****s the south side of Chicago. Have we not figured it out yet that the south side is the way it is now because of continual superblock projects? There was a time, not too long ago that the south side was full of dense vibrant neighborhoods whose only crime was their race and their poverty. Then through the last 60 years we have ripped and torn every neighborhood apart leaving them in shambles with no where to turn. If this project happens it will just set the area back another 30 years for the sake of a quick tax grab.

Washington Park and Woodlawn need to be left as neighborhoods, not shopping centers. These areas, what little is left of them have great transit, great parks, easy access to the lake, easy access to the Dan Ryan, incredible proximity to UC and Hyde Park and have dirt cheap land prime for investment and rapid infill.

I just dont get it, and I really hope someone on the city planning commission feels the same way I do.
Exactly one of the reasons why I want to be a developer, just don't really know how to get there... Chicago needs/deserves to be jam packed with urbanity throughout the whole city limits...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #443
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...lhousinga.html

Bronzeville Associates Family Apartments Phase I

The CDC today approved a $26.8 million plan to demolish older townhome-style rental housing and replace it with new multi-story buildings in the City’s Grand Boulevard community.

The action recommends the designation of Bronzeville Associates, LP as the developer and $4.5 million in TIF assistance for Phase I of the new Bronzeville Family Apartments.

The developer will raze 60 townhomes, which are a part of the Paul G. Stewart Apartment complex and contain 90 units of rental housing, and replace them with new three-story walk-up buildings.

Phase I would include the construction of four three-story buildings and also the demolition and reconstruction of the existing community center into an expanded 6,700 square foot facility with recreation and office space.

The existing structures are being demolished due to concerns over extensive foundation settlement. The redevelopment of the property will help to preserve project-based Section 8 housing in the community.

Phase II will involve the reconstruction and replacement of the remaining 24 rental units.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #444
ChitownCity

I'm not understanding. Out of all the vacant lots in the area they wanna destroy those little townhomes instead of focusing on what's around it (or are they trying to make the new homes face the street so it would be me for friendly?? either way it still means more vacant lots...)
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #445
spyguy
Expert

http://www.hpherald.com/

Roundhouse restoration restarted
by Daschell M. Phillips

Phase one of DuSable Museum’s three-phases Roundhouse renovation project is expected to be complete by the end of the year thanks to the release of $5 million in funding that was being held by the state, according to Carol Adams, chief executive officer of the museum.
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #446
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
I'm not understanding. Out of all the vacant lots in the area they wanna destroy those little townhomes instead of focusing on what's around it (or are they trying to make the new homes face the street so it would be me for friendly?? either way it still means more vacant lots...)
First of all those townhomes have to be demolished and rebuilt. They are literaly falling down (sinking) because the soil under the units was not done properly. Some residents have been temporarily relocated (those living in structures that have major foundation damage). Others will be relocated over the next few months. New units will be constructed and those residents will be allowed to come back.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #447
ChitownCity

^ Okay
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #448
spyguy
Expert

Senior Village
53rd and Calumet

Not necessarily the most exciting design but still a solid 7 story, 71 unit senior housing project
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #449
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Yeah, the city is building a heck of a lot of affordable/senior developments in various scattered sites on the south side, usually occupying vacant land. Just 2 other similar type developments have been announced in the past week or so.

It's not anywhere near being the condo boom of the early 2000's, but it's at least good to see some infill of this sort in otherwise struggling areas of the city.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #450
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Yeah, the city is building a heck of a lot of affordable/senior developments in various scattered sites on the south side, usually occupying vacant land. Just 2 other similar type developments have been announced in the past week or so.

It's not anywhere near being the condo boom of the early 2000's, but it's at least good to see some infill of this sort in otherwise struggling areas of the city.
^ Here's an example of another one, just completed with ribbon cutting a few days ago, at 2815 W 79th. 85 units for seniors:

The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #451
spyguy
Expert

Can you imagine the future Hyde Park with a new Harper Court, Studio Gang's Solstice and Village Center developments, and now this? In a rare feat we'll probably trade up on this one - possibly a Studio Gang redesign from an Antunovich.

Old design:

http://www.hpherald.com/

Antheus steps in
Antheus Capital to buy 53rd and Cornell lot
By Alicia Barney

Antheus Capital is under contract to purchase the empty lot at 53rd Street and Cornell Avenue, left vacant since plans for a residential high-rise fell apart.

...While Cassel would not say what the developer’s plans are for the lot, he said they are different than L3’s high-rise plans.

Antheus is in the process of hiring architects and planners to work on the project, Cassel said.
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #452
ChitownCity

well i'll be happy with anything above 15 storys... (and just counting the floors on the older design it looks like it was around 22...)
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM   #453
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

Surprised that a $4 billion project for Southside wasn't posted yet.

Quote:
Chicago to Redevelop U.S. Steel Site on Lakefront
By ROBERT SHAROFF
Published: December 28, 2010

CHICAGO — A plan to redevelop the site of the long-closed U.S. Steel plant on the south lakefront here is ambitious even in a city whose attitude has long been Daniel Burnham’s maxim, “Make no little plans.”

The about 470-acre South Works site juts into Lake Michigan and has dazzling views of downtown nine miles to the north. The master plan, by the architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, calls for 13,575 market rate and affordable homes to serve 50,000 new residents, 17.5 million square feet of retail and commercial space, a high school and a marina with 1,500 slips, to be built in phases over the next 30 years. The estimated cost is $4 billion

The project took a major step forward in September when the city awarded it a $98 million tax increment financing grant that will be used to build infrastructure for the development’s first phase. This followed a decision by the city last spring to approve the master plan.

“The scale of the project is extraordinary,” said Chris Raguso, who recently left her position as acting commissioner of the city’s Department of Community Development to become Mayor Richard M. Daley’s chief of staff. “The fact that anybody in this economy still wants to take a shot at developing a site that is basically a landfill and is basing the development on retail and housing is also extraordinary.”

Over three-quarters of the site is landfill in the form of slag, a byproduct of steel production.

The developers of the project are the U.S. Steel Corporation, based in Pittsburgh, and McCaffery Interests of Chicago.

“South Works is very unique for us,” said George A. Manos, the president of U.S. Steel Real Estate. “No. 1 is the duration. It’s very long term. No. 2 is it’s a true partnership with the City of Chicago to help transform an area of the city.”

Daniel McCaffery, the president of McCaffery Interests, said the project “boggles the mind. It’s the largest undeveloped site in Chicago.”

The development incorporates significant aspects of New Urbanist and sustainable planning guidelines by extending the city’s existing street grid and emphasizing smaller blocks, narrower streets and access to mass transit.

“I think this will be the new downtown for the South Side of Chicago,” said Philip Enquist, a principal at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.

The plan also includes about 125 acres of new lakefront parkland as well as several smaller parks that are consistent with the architect Daniel Burnham’s bold Plan of Chicago of 1909, which called for expanding the city’s lakefront park system as part of a comprehensive regional approach to urban planning.

“South Works is the biggest missing piece in terms of completing Burnham’s vision” for the lakefront, said MarySue Barrett, the president of the Metropolitan Planning Council, a nonprofit advocacy group in the Chicago region.

The site is vacant except for a small brick building at the entrance, which will become a marketing center, and several massive masonry walls along an old boat slip that bisects the property. One of the walls would be preserved as a reminder of the area’s industrial past.

“I love the walls,” Mr. Enquist said. “They look like they came from a different civilization.”

In many ways, they did.

South Works began in the early 1880s as a division of the North Chicago Rolling Mill and was absorbed into U.S. Steel in 1901. For most of the 20th century, South Works was the largest employer on the city’s South Side with upward of 30,000 workers.

Over the years, the plant produced the steel responsible for such structures as the Sears (now Willis) Tower, the John Hancock Center and the McCormick Place convention center.

In the 1970s, however, U.S. Steel began consolidating its Chicago-area steel-making activities at its plant in Gary, Ind., and in 1992 South Works closed. The closing left a huge void in the neighborhoods to the west and south, which were largely populated by the families of steelworkers.

“If you walk through the various neighborhoods, it is still possible to talk to residents who either worked there or whose fathers and grandfathers did,” said Sandi Jackson, the alderwoman for the Seventh Ward, which includes the northern part of the site. “They have fond memories of South Works and want to see something exciting happen on that site.”

The site required years of environmental remediation and was also subject to several competing visions for its future before the current plan began to take shape in the early 2000s.

Mr. McCaffery, who has developed mixed-use projects around the country, including the Market Common in Arlington, Va., said he planned to break ground on the first phase of the project in late 2012 after the completion of a new road along the western perimeter of the site. The road is an extension of U.S. 41, also known as Lake Shore Drive.

“The first step for this redevelopment was to realign U.S. 41 and make it more accessible for the site,” Ms. Raguso said. “We need to bring traffic down there.”

The first phase will include about 1,000 residential units, but the main focus will be 800,000 square feet of retail space. The cost, including the $98 million in new infrastructure, is about $397 million, a not inconsiderable sum in the current economy.

Mr. McCaffery, however, is sanguine about his prospects.

“I don’t have to find the money,” he said. “I have to find the guys who can find the money. We’re going to slice and dice the different phases. We need to engage a range of architects and developers.”

Mr. McCaffery said the decision to focus primarily on retail in the first phase was grounded in demographics. “We’re smelling, tasting and feeling pent-up demand for retail. I’m not going to kid anybody that we’re going to have a Tiffany’s down here, but it’s also not going to be pawn shops,” he said, referring to the poor economic conditions of much of the area. “We’ve already talked to a number of grocery stores, and not one has turned us down in terms of continued interest.”

Paul Vogel, a retail consultant here, said he thought the developers were on the right track. “There are few places in America today that are understored, but the South Side of Chicago is one of them,” Mr. Vogel said.

The decision also acknowledges that the city is overwhelmed with unsold condos and housing units left over from the housing bubble

“We currently have years and years of oversupply,” said James Kinney, the vice president for luxury sales at Baird & Warner real estate.

The long-term forecast may be brighter. A study by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning predicted that the Chicago area would add 2.4 million residents over the next 30 years.

“The right time to build is when demand meshes with the availability of financing and resources,” Mr. McCaffery said. “What we have done is to prepare ourselves for the next right time. And I believe it will be sooner than many people think.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/re...t&st=cse&scp=1

Thought others would like to see this too.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM   #454
spyguy
Expert

Harper Theater (across from the new Harper Court project)
Looks like the University is once again going to try to lease these buildings for retail.

I really wish they'd use the theater portion for live performances. It'd be great if they could convince Muntu to abandon their long-delayed plans to build a new theater a mile away (in the middle of a residential area) and instead come here. A win-win for all.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #455
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

[QUOTE=TampaMike;69903587][B]Surprised that a $4 billion project for Southside wasn't posted yet.[/B]

Its been talked about here for quite some time
atleast in the past year or so.

I made a separate thread for it called Southworks
not long ago.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #456
spyguy
Expert

Lots of good news for Hyde Park

All stories from the Hyde Park Herald.

1) Harper Theater redevelopment (across from Harper Court)
University: Theater building to be spared
By Sam Cholke

The University of Chicago announced Jan. 10 it will renovate the exterior of the historic façade of the Harper Theater and has identified a tenant for a portion of the retail spaces fronting East 53rd Street.

...Campbell said a lease has been sent out to a tenant for the retail space, which would be identified next week. She said no tenant has been found for the theater space and the university is considering splitting up the interior for multiple tenants.

2) Antheus' plans for 53rd and Cornell site (from the same story):

...“I think it’s most appropriately residential,” Cassel said of Antheus’ intentions for the site, adding that retail would likely be included to tie any development to surrounding retailers on either side of the Metra viaduct.

...Cassel said Antheus has begun discussing ideas with neighbors, but rental housing was an appealing option.
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #457
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

13 million for chinatown redline stop

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...onomicdev.html

IGA with CTA for Cermak-Chinatown Red Line Station

The next ordinance authorizes an intergovernmental agreement with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to provide $13.1 million in funding for improvements to the Cermak-Chinatown Red Line station.

Under the agreement, $12.5 million in federal stimulus funds and $600,000 in TIF assistance from the 24th/Michigan TIF District will be used for the renovation.

The proposed scope of work will include a new escalator and elevator at the Cermak entrance, a new station house and platform renovation. A new entrance is also planned for the north end of the station at Archer Avenue. Additional work includes new landscaping, signage and accessible ramps.

Fire Work Community Art Studio

Also appropved was an ordinance authorizing a negotiated sale for the redevelopment of the former Engine Company 18 firehouse at 1123 W. Roosevelt Rd. on the City’s Near West Side.

The developer, 1123 West Roosevelt, LLC, will pay $325,000 to turn the City’s oldest fire station built in 1873 into the proposed Fire Work Community Art Studio.

They will use $683,000 to refurbish the two-story firehouse over the next few years. Plans include a 1,700 square foot first floor studio with kilns, glass ovens and a full commercial kitchen totaling 2,500 square feet that will focus on various forms of art training and healthy eating habits for children and teenagers; and two more studio spaces on the second floor dedicated to adult artists. Green features will include solar panels and a green roof with a walking path.

Ping Tom Park Expansion

Approved also was an ordinance that finances the construction of an athletic field house in Ping Tom Park on the City’s Near South Side.

Funds for the $10 million proposal will be allocated from the River South TIF district.

The field house will include a main gym, club rooms and community meeting areas for nearby Chinatown residents and other users. Specific design details are anticipated to be completed in 2011. Construction is expected to start the following year.

The park is located on a 12-acre site adjacent to the South Branch of the Chicago River at 300 W. 19th St. Initially featuring a children's playground, community gathering areas and Chinese landscape design elements, the park was later expanded north of 18th Street to include ball fields, play areas and a variety of river edge improvements that are currently under construction.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #458
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
The next ordinance authorizes an intergovernmental agreement with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to provide $13.1 million in funding for improvements to the Cermak-Chinatown Red Line station.

Under the agreement, $12.5 million in federal stimulus funds and $600,000 in TIF assistance from the 24th/Michigan TIF District will be used for the renovation.

The proposed scope of work will include a new escalator and elevator at the Cermak entrance, a new station house and platform renovation. A new entrance is also planned for the north end of the station at Archer Avenue. Additional work includes new landscaping, signage and accessible ramps.
Really? Thats all $13.1 million dollars gets us? That station isn't even 50 years old.... absolutely ridiculous waste of tax payer money.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #459
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
.... absolutely ridiculous waste of tax payer money.
The station house was pretty much destroyed in an auto accident. I don't see how rebuilding it is a waste.
---

The University buys another historic building for further expansion of its campus:

University to purchase Meadville Lombard building
January 17, 2011

The University of Chicago has agreed to purchase the Meadville Lombard Theological School’s main academic and administrative building at 5701 S. Woodlawn Ave, subject to the approval of the University’s Board of Trustees.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #460
spyguy
Expert

Back to the Harper Theater redevelopment, the first retail tenant along 53rd was announced today. While Five Guys is a chain that's expanding like crazy, it only has three stores in the city, all on the north side. So I think it's somewhat significant that they've agreed to come down to Hyde Park.

Five Guys restaurant heads to 53rd Street

The University of Chicago is bringing Five Guys, a restaurant chain whose burgers have a devoted following nationwide, to Hyde Park.

Five Guys has signed on as the inaugural tenant at the soon-to-be renovated office and theater buildings at 53rd and Harper Avenue. The news comes fast on the heels of the University’s announcement that it is renovating these key buildings.

“We’re delighted to introduce this crowd favorite to our community,” said James Hennessy, Director of Commercial Real Estate Operations for the University. “The University is committed to working with the community to revitalize the 53rd Street corridor, and the arrival of Five Guys is good news for those efforts.”

With 725 locations around the country, Five Guys is just one of a number of big-name retailers the University is talking with about setting up shop in new spaces along 53rd Street, here and at the nearby Harper Court redevelopment, to blend with local businesses.

The new Five Guys in Hyde Park will occupy 2,200 square feet and could also make use of outdoor seating with a plan for attractive awnings. Officials said they expect the restaurant to open around the end of this year.

Last edited by spyguy; January 18th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.