daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #81
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Does this kind of thing happen often? Does the city have the power to halt the construction? Do you think there is a strong likelihood that they would halt construction?
^ I'm afraid the city cannot stop the work, because they never filed for a construction permit. Thus, without a legally binding document, the city's authority is nullified

Quote:
Do you know if they have started construction on just one building in the project or are they working on numerous buildings right now?
^ It's unclear--it looks like probably more than one building. But we may never know until it's finished
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #82
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

i saw an article in the friday sun times about a new hotel to be built in china town (looks like 10-12 stories from the rendering) which dons a pegoda style roof , looks like a nice addition to that neighborhood
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #83
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Yes, that developer is very busy with projects around Chinatown.

Imperial Court Hotel Plaza - 150 rooms + 20000 s.f. retail

Millennium East Plaza - 18th and Canal - 200000 s.f. retail

Canal Crossing - 2328 S Canal - 60 units + retail

24th and Canal - office/retail/condo
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #84
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Great find, Spyguy.

I like everything but the third pic. Surface parking blows
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #85
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

WOW! This developer seems like he will do wonders for the Near South Side and Chinatown.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #86
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I'm afraid the city cannot stop the work, because they never filed for a construction permit. Thus, without a legally binding document, the city's authority is nullified
Urb, do you have any authority to back up this point? If that were the case, then anyone could do anything they pleased with their land with total impunity. In other words, someone could build a ten story pastel pink building in an area zoned for low-rise residential and get away with it, so long as they didn't file for a permit. It would be the mother of all loopholes.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #87
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I'm hurt, Hydrogen.

But then again, I'm also pleasantly surprised. I never thought for a second that my attempt at humor would actually be taken seriously

I must ask, though--did you guys actually believe that bullshit story I concocted, as well as the random google pic? I honestly didn't expect the response that I got
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #88
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
^ I'm hurt, Hydrogen.

But then again, I'm also pleasantly surprised. I never thought for a second that my attempt at humor would actually be taken seriously

I must ask, though--did you guys actually believe that bullshit story I concocted, as well as the random google pic? I honestly didn't expect the response that I got
You're a bastard. Seriously, though, I never would've figured you to be a man of sarcasm.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #89
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

all of this south side development makes me wonder....if the city gets the Olympics....will the North Side start to play second fiddle by 2016?

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #90
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Spy - I like the background on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pics. None of those are accurate (First one is an Asian city, #2 is some other American city, and #3, well - there's no L line anywhere near 18th/Canal)

Of course, the surroundings at either of those sites leave much to be desired, from a marketing perspective.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #91
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by globill View Post
all of this south side development makes me wonder....if the city gets the Olympics....will the North Side start to play second fiddle by 2016?
Good question. I think the Southside is thinking bigger and drawing more interesting projects. Some of that is due to available land, some is due to vision and less NIMBYism that plague northside neighborhoods like Jefferson Park.
Chicago has so much to be discovered, and it is finally happening.

Or roughest areas surround massive parks like Garfield and Washington. Some of Chicago's best housing stock are located in edgy hoods. But what happens when people start to move back into these areas? I can honestly see these huge parks with apartment towers looming over them, silimar to Lincoln and Grant. I can see hotels, B&Bs, more so around Garfield.

I am all for the westside and southside competing with the northside. Its all about the city getting better.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #92
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, Capri Capital Partners and Judson Investment Company announce
‘The Metropolis’ Mixed-Use Revitalization Development on Chicago’s South Side

February 15, 2007 10:57 AM Eastern Time

Today, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (“SOM”) in partnership with Capri Capital Partners and Judson Investment Company, announced their involvement in a community revitalization project in Bronzeville, located on Chicago’s south side. The Metropolis, situated at the intersection of Pershing Road and South State Street, is planned to cover one million square feet and will become the area’s largest mixed-use complex. The proposed development will feature 150,000 square feet of residential condominiums, 330,000 square feet of retail space, 200,000 square feet of site improvements including an open-air park with fountain, a public library and underground parking. The site, bounded by an abandoned railway along the south, will be demolished to give way to the new development.

SOM was selected to develop the architectural concept for the Metropolis. According to Design Partner Ross Wimer, “the design for Metropolis was inspired by Bronzeville’s African-American heritage rooted in blues and jazz. In addition, “a significant focus is the incorporation of sustainable elements that will be implemented, reinforcing the City of Chicago’s commitment to green design. These include photovoltaic cells (solar panels) in the clock tower that will provide power for the development, and a “green roof” that will help insulate the buildings and control storm-water run-off, as well as provide a park for residents, ” said Wimer.

Managing Partner Richard F. Tomlinson II is working in tandem with Ross Wimer on the Metropolis initiative. “We are honored to be able to make a contribution to this underserved community and the City of Chicago by helping to create an architecturally significant design that will serve as a centerpiece for the area’s vitality and growth opportunities,” said Tomlinson. “Throughout SOM’s history, we have been committed to using our deep resources and experience to help advance the dynamic growth of the community at large through forward-looking projects that make a larger contribution to the City.”

The SOM Chicago office has extensive experience in working with the City to revitalize communities and open spaces, such as Millennium Park, the Chicago Central Area Plan and Lakeshore East. Currently, the firm is actively working on plans to develop Lakeside (Southworks), and recently proposed developments on the south side and on the lakefront as part of Chicago’s 2016 Olympic bid.

Thats pretty plain and functional. I wouldent call it a masterpeice, but its pretty interesting, especially the colored glass. Are there any other designs like this for that area?
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #93
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Thats pretty plain and functional. I wouldent call it a masterpeice, but its pretty interesting, especially the colored glass. Are there any other designs like this for that area?
^ Plain and functional? Eh? What in blazes are you talking about? Are we on the same planet? Let me give you an example of plain and functional:

Old February 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #94
Unionstation13

Well, I wouldent call that plain and functional, it has the stucco detailing, brick, craftsmanship, and more detailing then that other design, but I think both have that ZING ZAP BANG BUBOOM, kinda thing. Is that stucco or stone? Either way the structure is charming in my opinion. What is the function of both designs?
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #95
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Well, I wouldent call that plain and functional, it has the stucco detailing, brick, craftsmanship, and more detailing then that other design,
^ It has more craftsmanship? This building doesn't even exist yet.

It has stucco "detailing" (as you refer to it) and brick, and that makes it less plain than the other building? Have you seen enough buildings with stucco and brick in Chicago?

So another dime a dozen square brick building in Chicago isn't plain in your eyes, but a glassy, wavy building with each level staggered from the one below it and with different colored windows, all breaking from the rigid streetgrid to form an oval streetscape--IS plain to you. Just what school of thought are you representing here?

Quote:
Either way the structure is charming in my opinion. What is the function of both designs?
^ The same. Residential over retail
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #96
Unionstation13

Interesting. Yes, in the Chicago area it would be plain, but the other design would probably fit more snug in the chicago atmisphere. I am not a fan of alot of modern architecture, but I do admire the creativity. That brick design, we need more of those in Indianapolis. The park is interesting. When is it to be constructed?
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM   #97
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
I am not a fan of alot of modern architecture, but I do admire the creativity. That brick design, we need more of those in Indianapolis. The park is interesting. When is it to be constructed?
^ Work has already begun:

Old February 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM   #98
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
^ Work has already begun:

I thought that this was a picture of Southworks, no?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM   #99
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

the south side development is impressive,
on the north side it mainly consists of knocking down frame houses,
or white elephants that no longer are feasible and putting up condos,

Due to the open land available and relative dearth of nimbies (hyde park being the exception) it looks like alot is being accomplished.

There has been a slow down on northside (not the near north) construction (atleast when it comes to cool projects, atleast it seems to be), which is surprising,
but bravo to the southside!

Renegade construction workers huh?
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #100
Unionstation13

I know, I read about the knocking down of many beautiful homes. Thats just retched, demolishing homes that have lasted so long with all their beauty. It will scar the city's northside, and that is for sure. I have seen photos of beautiful homes being demolished. Perhaps the genereal public is not educated nearly enough on historical preservation? But thats the problem with most cities in the US. Lack of public awareness.