daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #1
belgiumguy
PEACE!

Likes (Received): 28

BIGGEST PORT OF AFRICA

i would like to start a topic about morocco's new port of tanger.It will be the biggest in africa and the biggest in the mediteran sea (according to my sources)It will employ 145 000! people (indirect and direct. it should be operational in 2007 and fully in 2009.there are also alot of free zones with alot of companys.see for further information on www.tmsa.ma/.
belgiumguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 14

All i know is that their are alot of port expansions on the continent but i don't know which will be the biggest after all the expansions.

You are to blame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #3
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 352

biggest in terms of?? if you looking at it from teu's or value then durban is the leading port on the continent by far. i always find the different ways of rating complicated, i'm sure there is a std measure tho
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #4
belgiumguy
PEACE!

@dysan how many teu does durban has
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 1762

In Sub-saharn African the most efficient and devloped ports are defintely Durban (no doubt about that), followed by Abidjan in C˘te d┤ivoire (but the latter is currenty undergoing a political crisis) ....the other ports are still tooooo small.
Matthias Offodile está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #6
belgiumguy
PEACE!

jes but if jou looke at the site that i give jou guys then jou wil notice that this is a serious big project and not just a regional port that serves for a couple of fishermen
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
hsark
Afritect

Likes (Received): 133

ya but i believe durbs harbour will still be the biggest

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
hsark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #8
hsark
Afritect

anyway size doesn't matter durbs is the busiest harbour in africa by far but a lekker development for moroc

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #9
You are to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgiumguy
jes but if jou looke at the site that i give jou guys then jou wil notice that this is a serious big project and not just a regional port that serves for a couple of fishermen
I think your Y button is broken

Old March 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #10
hsark
Afritect

mmm i thought it was his accent lol e.g. zous peepels

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Balikbayan
William

Likes (Received): 0

Egypt also has a large (by African standards) container port at Dumyat (Damietta in English) and secondary ports at Alexandria and at the North and South entrances of the Suez Canal. I think one of these is 2nd after S-Afr. ports of Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. The Tangier project first must find customers among the larger container lines. The present nr. 1, Maersk, prefers its own terminals and only will use Tangier if they get very favourable terms and conditions. Just 20 kms North, they have heavily invested in the Spanish port of Algeciras, close to Gibraltar.
Balikbayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #12
belgiumguy
PEACE!

morocco has a free trade agreement with the us and with several other arab countries .in 2012 the free trade agreement with the E.U. will start.and i think customers will go to tanger instead of drban because it's in a geographical good position(street of gibraltar) near EU, middle east , america.And durban is way too far to from al the rich countries
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #13
dysan1
More development

these are the 2005 stats for Durban that Gregpz compiled, hope this paints a clear picture.

Total TEU's (containers-generally used when ranking ports):
Durban 1,686,544
Sydney 1,270,216
Cape Town 573,021
PE 313,923

Total Tonnage:
Richards Bay 85,688,419
Durban 40,026,477
Sydney 25,069,539
Port Elizabeth 4,297,069
Cape Town 3,701,008

Number of Ships:
Durban 4,031
Cape Town 3,161
Sydney 2,408
Richards Bay 1,687
PE 1,271

Ship Tonnage:
Durban 81,700,001
Sydney 64,233,204
Richards Bay 57,604,799
Cape Town 44,501,297
PE 25,756,823
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #14
You are to blame

Quote:
morocco has a free trade agreement with the us and with several other arab countries .in 2012 the free trade agreement with the E.U. will start.and i think customers will go to tanger instead of drban because it's in a geographical good position(street of gibraltar) near EU, middle east , america.And durban is way too far to from al the rich countries
why would ships not go to durban. In fact more ships will head to durban as the econmies of southern africa in particular mozambique, angola and landlock zambia and botswana continue to gow fast. And finally the southern african market is much larger than morocco's so why would ship abandon the region for morocco.

Old March 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #15
dysan1
More development

Also durban is a primary (and growing) hub of east-west transshipment trade.

Durban's port experienced growth of close on 450 000 teus in 2005 from 2004. that is whopping growth and anything but signalling a decline.

New investment of R9.8billion ( $1,63billion) is currently underway for the port and shall be able to handle 2,5m teus by 2008. Further upgrades to the road and rail infrastructure around the port will lead to greater turn around times, and new staking yards are also in the planning phase. These road and staking developments will enable the port to handle an extra 500 000 teus, therefore increasing capacity to 3m in 2008/9.

There are many other plans in the design stage. Durban is perfectly placed as a transshipment/logistics hub, and the opening of the new airport and tradeport in 2009 will go a long way to cement.

All that said, i believe that greater port capacity is required around the rest of the continent, and as countries become more export orientated they wil grow. The facilities need to be there to cater for this growth.

I dont see the ports competing, but complimenting each other. Durban will always have its place, since South Africa is the powerhouse of the continent and totally dominates trade in the SADC region. Landlocked nations surrounding us rely on our infrastructure to get there imports/exports. As pieter said, when there economies grow, so will the demand for sa ports. i do believe that greater investment will be ploughed into maputo, which will be good for their people, but also provide other gateways into SA, for durban's port has limitations in terms of land to expand upon.

A new port like this one is good for north africa and morocco, will grow their economy and support new industry. But i dont see it affecting us in SA at all, its half a world away anyway.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #16
hsark
Afritect

yup sadc will support its own harbour with its own growth no point in sending there minerals up north,any way durb is not the only port i know some companies in zambia and botswana that use nambia ports and the mozambique port

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #17
belgiumguy
PEACE!

jou guys don't see the thing .When a ship takes his goods in tanger and then transport with the rail connection between morocco and spain to europe they will have much more profit then take it to durban first.The economie of sa and surrounding countruies goes fast but still almost half of the population lives in poverty so there isn't any market, it's only for the elite , the rich people.look to mozambique almost the entire country doesn't have any food.look to the north african market :morocco algeria tunisia libya egypt,...It's fals to think that if the economi of sa grows , the entire continent grows. Sa isn't USA, the only rich people in sa are the white and a few black people .face it
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #18
hsark
Afritect

Quote:
look to the north african market :morocco algeria tunisia libya egypt,...It's fals to think that if the economi of sa grows , the entire continent grows. Sa isn't USA, the only rich people in sa are the white and a few black people .face it
you make any intresting point there but your wrong south africa is a export based economy ,we export planes ,cars ,minerals ,ships ,computers and other hi-tech devices plus the demand for cars in sa is surging i don't have the figures now but its booming ....so as some one said before what ever happens in north africa doesn't have a huge effect on sa as we're exporting our own produced goods ps white people in sa are rich but they only make 14% of the population the people that are growing the economy is the emerging black middle class

also note south africa is the biggest invester in southern africa and one of the largest in sub saharan ,which is a fact e.g. companies like anglo gold , standard bank ,massmart ,murry and roberts,mtn ,absa ,vodacom ,nedbank ,bhp billiton , unilever , sasol , sappi ,sabmiller and etc

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan

Last edited by hsark; March 5th, 2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #19
empersouf

Likes (Received): 8

Finally, any information about this on the net.
I looked for but couldnt find anything.
This port also gets a very big airport and rail connection with the rest of the country and europe, one of the goals is to compete with the european ports, as a major stop in the mediteranean to the atlantic and the atlantic.
It will be the biggest port in africa, in all terms.
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #20
belgiumguy
PEACE!

@soufiane :how couldn't jou find anything, just type in google a couple of words and jou will find it
@hsark:sorry if jou feel insulted but these are the facts the majority in sa lives in poverty and is unemployt but offcourse jou are an export country i wish jou the best