daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Old March 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2262

A Bridge linking England to France?

Ok, first of all, calm down, and don't get too excited, there is no plan (at the moment) to build a bridge between England and France. BUT I was watching a programme on Nat Geographic channel today entitled 'Megastructures' and it was about the world's longest bridge: The Akashi bridge in Japan. But towards the very end of the programme, it said this title would soon be replaced by Italy's bridge connecting it to Sicily, then it said that too could soon be overtaken as new technology allows for even longer bridges these days.

Then it said (crucially from the point of this thread) that due to new carbon fibre cables that reduce weight, it may soon be possible to build massive 50km bridges between England and France, or Spain and Africa.

Do you guys ever think this will happen?? I mean, they built the chunnel when they said it could never be done, and a bridge seems to be the next logical step in terms of possible access routes between England- Europe's, and indeed the world's, main international transport hub- and France, the gateway to Europe.

Everywhere you look these days people are connecting islands and areas together with bridges that no-one would have thought possible a couple of hundred, or even a hundred years ago. Italy's new bridge to Sicily is a perfect example of this, and that is being built by a country that is supposedly in a bit of a financial and economic downpoint at the moment; so a joint funded project between Britain and France would be far from impossible. And it would create a structure that would be recognised the world over.

I'm not saying it's gonna go ahead any time in the near future, but it's just something to think about....it would have to be pretty tall as well to allow the many ships to pass underneath.

What do you guys think?? Quite likely...possibility...maybe...doubtful...never...?

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #2
F-ian

Likes (Received): 40

if there's the Channel Tunnel, Why make a Bridge?
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3
empersouf

Likes (Received): 4

There is allready a tunnel
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 35

There are alot of places in the world that have a tunnel and a bridge(or several bridges) you know.

I don't think it's likly in the foreseeable future though. The cost of producing carban nano-tubes needs to drop enoumously before such bridges can be built at viable prices. And when they can be, I don't think a bridge between England and France will be a major priority.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #5
AG
Engineer in training

Likes (Received): 5

A bridge across a 50km stretch of water would be more expensive per square metre because the foundations of the bridge piers in some areas would have to be piled hundreds of metres deep to reach the sea floor, let alone bedrock, with almost no margin for any error. Even if you could build one, I don't think you'd find very many, if any, places where a 50km long bridge spanning a very deep channel would be viable. Even bridges longer than 30km is really pushing it. Tunnelling is still easier.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6
michal-skoczen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

There is a tunnel. It would be better to bridge UK with Ireland.
michal-skoczen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #7
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal-skoczen
It would be better to bridge UK with Ireland.
Lol, I don't think either side would be happy with that!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #8
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 4890

Quote:
I think that a bridge between the Shetland Islands and the Faroe Islands should be a higher priority.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #9
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
The tunnel is a rail only link though thats fairly time consuming and expensive to use, I'm sure their would be massive useage of any brigde linking the UK to France.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #10
themongrel

Likes (Received): 0

the biggest problem with this is the sheer number of ships that pass through the channel ( i belive its the busiest shipping lane in the world ). they would have to make it so tall that any type of ship can pass through at multipul points overwise there would be actual traffic jams at sea
themongrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM   #11
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 11

Last edited by alesmarv; February 22nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #12
DonQui
BANNED

I believe the tunnel between Europe and Africa via Spain and Morocco, while approved in theory by both governments, is suffering from widespread lack of support especially in Spain considering the problem that alread exists in terms of illegal immigration from Africa (if they come over in such large numbers with no physical connection, imagine once such connection is established via a tunnel )
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM   #13
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55
I think that a bridge between the Shetland Islands and the Faroe Islands should be a higher priority.
island of Man needs a bridge now!!
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #14
dizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Lol, I don't think either side would be happy with that!

Don't be so sure
http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=342
dizee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #15
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

It will definitely happen sooner than later. Traffic will only increase between Europe & UK. This project will also most definitely be economically viable. It'd be a connection between 2 of the richest countries in the world. As for the Chunnel: I believe it's only for trains. Even if it was a highway tunnel, i'd personally prefer to cross the Channel by bridge, rather than being underground for such a long distance. Also, the ever increasing traffic load will warrant another connection.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #16
Bikkel
sadfox

The chunnel isn't time consuming! Trains depart about each ten, fifteen minutes! And the more you use it, the cheaper it gets.
Bikkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #17
get13

Likes (Received): 2

I was watching some program on the discovery program about the channel tunnel and at the end it described that the channel tunnel was competing against a project called euro link to get built.

Euro link involved two huge bridges from england and france stretching out to two artificial islands. Connecting the two islands would be a tunnel. The islands were planned to contain shops and hotels like a kind of service station in the middle of the channel. THis was to carry highway and rail traffic however the rail only tunnel was chosen as it was a cheaper project.

EDIT: I found it on the internet and it was called euro route. my mistake. For more information click here

Here are some pictures I found:

Last edited by get13; May 14th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.
get13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #18
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 13

I've heard an idea for a road tunnel from Kent to France being seriously proposed.
Lostboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #19
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 21

just to clear things up a bit...yes the channel tunnel uses trains but you can drive your cars onto them so it kind of serves both.

i personally would love to have a tunnel or bridge between england and ireland
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote