daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #461
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5820

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
What do you mean not in the conventional sense? Because people don't travel on it, or because it uses a different gauge?
some tunnels probably do not have rail at all
where there is rail - it is not electrified, trains use accumulator battries

again, this is all rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
There are rumors that the Washington DC Metro also has secret tunnels.
most likely both cities made preparations for nulcear exchange during Cold War
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #462
XD
User Title

Likes (Received): 21

LOL.

XD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #463
anm
имярек

http://transit.parovoz.com/muralista...AUTHOR=&MONTH=

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #464
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
There are rumors that the Washington DC Metro also has secret tunnels.
All the cities that was supposed to be hit by Nuclear warheads during an assumed cold war attack prepared for that. Stockholm for example spent enormous sums on preparing the city for an assumed attack by the Soviet Union. Almost immediately after the cold war begun they started to dig out a network of tunnels covering the entire city and by the 1970s the tunnel system covered the entire metropolitan area. They didn't build any secret subway, instead the evacuation would be carried underground out by buses picking up passengers from strategic locations around the city and then be moved out of the city through the tunnels extending some 30-40km outside of the city limits.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #465
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
All the cities that was supposed to be hit by Nuclear warheads during an assumed cold war attack prepared for that. Stockholm for example spent enormous sums on preparing the city for an assumed attack by the Soviet Union. Almost immediately after the cold war begun they started to dig out a network of tunnels covering the entire city and by the 1970s the tunnel system covered the entire metropolitan area. They didn't build any secret subway, instead the evacuation would be carried underground out by buses picking up passengers from strategic locations around the city and then be moved out of the city through the tunnels extending some 30-40km outside of the city limits.
Interesting, I didn't know that Stockholm had such an extensive underground network, but the mass evacuaton idea makes sense in the Swedish context. The rumors about a secret tunnel off the Washington Metro don't suggest anything near the capacity of serving a mass evacuation....Rather it was just to evacuate the very top political leaders in the event of nuclear war.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM   #466
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

train-photo.ru
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #467
anm
имярек

http://transit.parovoz.com/muralista...AUTHOR=&MONTH=

Old November 15th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #468
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6987

First 81-714.6/81-717.6 trainset. .6 is a scratch built modification. .6K was refurbished original 81-714/81-717.

http://metro-photo.ru/search.php?sea...%F0%ED%EE%E9-6

81-740.4/81-740.4 are now on two lines in services. APL 3 and KolL 5.

New classic cars 4-door 20-meter long 81-76x series to replaced outdated rolling stock on very busy lines (TKL 6 to be first probably).

fan art based on drawing, so unofficial color scheme
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #469
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
I will not quote pictures...

I think you are seriously misguided, Micrav.

The supercar in the picture screams that the owner has more money than the rest of people. This can not be not philosophy of a public transit system.

Trains must be

energy efficient
spacious
comfortable - (noise level, ventilation, air conditionning when needed, seat position, area of floor realtive to seating area, number and area of the doors relative to car size, etc.)

Design should be practial, durable and should follow function.

I do not argue that trains should be poor aesthetically. I would only add that I see nothing wrong with traditional design of Moscow trains. Considering that their lifetime is about 40 years, I actually like the continuity of design. I would advocate freezing the design of late 70s as vintage style and make a trademark. Why is that San Francisco can use vintage trams that are clearly 50-60s in design, and nobody seem to mind (or London used vintage busses for years), but Moscow should be changing design of its trains like a petty girl who wants to get a new pair of slippers every week?
A public transport system must be practical, functional, cost effective and attractive. Look helps, style is only one function among others. Style is the signature of a well done work! The pride of the workers and company who made it. Never heard people speak about their work as a beautiful plane or a beuatiful woman? A work well made and designed is the pride of those people, they take car of it, pay attention to details, to qulity and improve therefore its quality and lifetime. This also a role a designer can play inside a company, it is a role of motivation.

About old rolling stock, I really don't mind, needs sometimes a lifting... Either you play a postcard role like old tatras in Prague, but the same tatras in other cities don't fit that well... SImply, when material needs to be replaced or added, buy something worth it... Often, there is no designer in jury of a city, only numbers, influence game and politics and interests... Commercial success is not often something those judges consider the right way... Long speeches possible
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM   #470
coth
pride leader

long awaited 81-76x series render has came out to be leaked render, not a fan art.

here few more from metroblog.ru

screens from officially presented video

external color scheme said to be not final, will be fully different

interior, color schemes

Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #471
russianpride

Likes (Received): 3348

Moscow subway

russianpride no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #472
coth
pride leader

^wrong thread
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #473
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
long awaited 81-76x series render has came out to be leaked render, not a fan art.

here few more from metroblog.ru

screens from officially presented video

external color scheme said to be not final, will be fully different

a bit US-style
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #474
warden987

Likes (Received): 903

good carriages
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #475
MareCar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

I don't see any difference to the older ones (Rusich and the one that is out of production) except for the front mask.
MareCar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #476
coth
pride leader

So then you have seen technical documentation to say that? Share it please!
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #477
MareCar
BANNED

Can you read? I said "I don't see", technical details are nothing you can "see". Except for that, technical details are out of the question as I am talking about the aesthetical aspects and practical physical features of industrial design. The waggons in the renders are not walk-through, the side windows are the same as in the old ones, the doors are the same. I wouldn't call it a new train but maybe a facelift and modernization if they really used a new power pack and transmission etc..

I was hoping to see something on the same level as this
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #478
K-Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden987 View Post
good carriages
Such external design will never become outdated. It's simple, classic and modern at the same time. The front mask looks good enough, much better than on Rusich cars. They seem too narrow.
K-Lex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #479
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 668

Those sliding doors, with two levels of freedom of mechanical movement, are more expensive, and less reliable in case of too crowded vehicles. Moscow has different traffic conditions of Munich. Sliding doors with only one level of freedom of mechanical movement are cheaper, and much less malfunction. Construction of Russian vehicles is much safer. Having to much glasses is irrelevant for subway.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #480
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post

Those sliding doors, with two levels of freedom of mechanical movement, are more expensive, and less reliable in case of too crowded vehicles. Moscow has different traffic conditions of Munich. Sliding doors with only one level of freedom of mechanical movement are cheaper, and much less malfunction.
Excuse me, but what is "two levels of freedom of mechanical movement"? These doors are just as quick, safe and reliable as the ones on the old cars and work exactly the same way and I am sure they work no other than the ones on russian metro, how do you know which ones have one level and which ones have 2 levels of mechanical freedom of movement?. Munich may be not as big a city as moscow, but when the subway cars are full and the platform is full, it doesnt matter how many people there live, when the subways are crammed its the same, and the needs are the same: transport the masses of people.

Quote:
Construction of Russian vehicles is much safer. Having to much glasses is irrelevant for subway.
Yeah, that was the opinion 130 years ago in london when they put people in horse carriages because "it's a tunnel and there's nothing to see anyway"....opinion has changes, people feel safer with bigger windows, they feel better and more comfortable and less crammed, the vehicles look better and not 50 years old, and it doesnt add that much to the cost. Also, the new moscow vehicles dont even seem to be walkthrough, which really is nothing speacial today. Thats what annoy me, they dont improve the passenger comfort on the vehicles, they dont change anything. And its not that it annoys me because I dont wish them well, but because of the exact opposite. It annoys me that the managers and people who work there (in the higher levels) are so incompetent, how are they ever going to secure new markets and grow if these morons only work for the most minimun and dont bother about anything, while even markets in eastern europe which, with a good product, could've gone to the russians are taken over by bombardier, alstom and whoever...

Tags
метро, metro, moscow, subway