daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #481
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareCar View Post
Excuse me, but what is "two levels of freedom of mechanical movement"? These doors are just as quick, safe and reliable as the ones on the old cars and work exactly the same way and I am sure they work no other than the ones on russian metro, how do you know which ones have one level and which ones have 2 levels of mechanical freedom of movement?. Munich may be not as big a city as moscow, but when the subway cars are full and the platform is full, it doesnt matter how many people there live, when the subways are crammed its the same, and the needs are the same: transport the masses of people.
By two levels of freedom of mechanical movement I think he/she means that the doors open out, and then slide along. As opposed to simply sliding along. The former are called "plug type" doors.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #482
MareCar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

The doors in Munich only slide open without that annoyingly slow opening-out process, and the button reacts really fast, much faster than the slow S-Bahn one where you need to wait for approx. 1-5 seconds to get out after the train has stopped, these on the U-Bahn open instantly, just as quick as the old manual doors and you only need 1 second to get out, they are also wider than the doors on the old trains so that passenger change happens more quickly. I can compare it because we only have a few (18) new trains in use and the majority are still the old ones.
And stil no one could tell me that high passenger capacity would wear them out, its not like more passengers do anything to doors that less passengers dont.

/Edit:

Proof for the part with the windows from my previous post:

"122.
Inside. These were the nicest looking metro trains I have seen. I love the fact that they have really large windows
image hosted on flickr
"

from here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=20

Win.

Last edited by MareCar; December 19th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
MareCar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #483
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

Quote:
Can you read? I said "I don't see", technical details are nothing you can "see". Except for that, technical details are out of the question as I am talking about the aesthetical aspects and practical physical features of industrial design. The waggons in the renders are not walk-through, the side windows are the same as in the old ones, the doors are the same. I wouldn't call it a new train but maybe a facelift and modernization if they really used a new power pack and transmission etc..

I was hoping to see something on the same level as this
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/c_607_2.jpg
This more looks like a tram, not like a heavy metro. And there is nothing special inside, expect the fact its interior is absolutely inefficient.

Moscow Metro trains are among most reliable, efficient, fastest and safe. It's not a toy, it's a true heavy metro train.

Last edited by coth; December 19th, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #484
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
By two levels of freedom of mechanical movement I think he/she means that the doors open out, and then slide along. As opposed to simply sliding along. The former are called "plug type" doors.
Not sure he was talking about it. 81-74x and 81-76x series have sliding doors.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #485
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
This more looks like a tram, not like a heavy metro. And there is nothing special inside, expect the fact its interior is absolutely inefficient.

Moscow Metro trains are among most reliable, efficient, fastest and safe. It's not a toy, it's a true heavy metro train.
So you think it's impossible to make a "true heavy metro" train look good?

And the carriages should be walk-through, especially considering the large amount of people because that helps to distribute the mass of people more evenly.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #486
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 667

Walking - through isn`t technicaly best solution. With 1 module vehicle you have the highest freedom for combinations. With one long vehicle - one transport unit, there is no flexibility for making trains. In subway, walking - through is unimportant and uncomfortable for other passengers in rush hours. The best useful solution for metro trains is 2-3 modules vehicles, and they are the most used.

When there is demage on one vehicle, you don`t need to put out of service all train, only part. Suburban and interurban trains are diferent, they are more comfortable, for long traveling, they don`t have station ticket control.

By technic, Moscow metro is best, or one of the best in the world. The philosophy in technic sciences in Russia is diferent then in Europe and America. In the Russia there is higher respect to cnowledge of other (lessen cnowledge envy), and lessen looking to cnowledge like goods market. If you know Russian (I understand it in reading, but I don`t know to write), you can find a lot of very good technical literary, open just on internet, something that is on the west "industrial secret". That isn`t only on internet, that is in real. On the other hand, working for customers and trade market is much lessen developed then on west. Same problem have the most of east European countries. One of them is Serbia, but Russia HAVE high technology and high profesional staff in technical sciences, and Serbia don`t have it.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #487
alekssa1

Likes (Received): 1791

Quote:
These were the nicest looking metro trains I have seen. I love the fact that they have really large windows

image hosted on flickr
"

from here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=20

This looks like a toy for the city of medium scale, where most of people prefer cars and some also use metro, by chance The capacity of this wagon is just not enough... In Moscow wagons there MUST HAVE wide spaces for people to stand there
alekssa1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #488
warden987

Likes (Received): 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post
Walking - through isn`t technicaly best solution. With 1 module vehicle you have the highest freedom for combinations. With one long vehicle - one transport unit, there is no flexibility for making trains. In subway, walking - through is unimportant and uncomfortable for other passengers in rush hours. The best useful solution for metro trains is 2-3 modules vehicles, and they are the most used.

When there is demage on one vehicle, you don`t need to put out of service all train, only part. Suburban and interurban trains are diferent, they are more comfortable, for long traveling, they don`t have station ticket control.

By technic, Moscow metro is best, or one of the best in the world. The philosophy in technic sciences in Russia is diferent then in Europe and America. In the Russia there is higher respect to cnowledge of other (lessen cnowledge envy), and lessen looking to cnowledge like goods market. If you know Russian (I understand it in reading, but I don`t know to write), you can find a lot of very good technical literary, open just on internet, something that is on the west "industrial secret". That isn`t only on internet, that is in real. On the other hand, working for customers and trade market is much lessen developed then on west. Same problem have the most of east European countries. One of them is Serbia, but Russia HAVE high technology and high profesional staff in technical sciences, and Serbia don`t have it.

man, I do appreciate your sympathy towards Russia and learning the Russian language, but you should also improve your English skills a bit.
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #489
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
This more looks like a tram, not like a heavy metro.
Because it has a modern design? A "heavy metro" doesn't need to be a box nor does "heavy" equal ugly or the inability to look good, how the front and back end look like is irrelevant to the vehicles functioniality, as is the look of the vehicle's body. The vehicle is actually bigger than the moscow metro trains by being wider than the Rusich by 20cm, hence there is place to put more seats in by placing them next to each other as they will not decrease standing capacity by that much and the standing capacity is increased where there are no seats, the speed is the same or higher, the power of the engine is higher, the space, the capacity is slightly lower but that is due to the internal placement of the seats and is decided by the customer and has nothing to do with what I'm saying, which is that the vehicles could look better and be more comfortable and functional for the passenger without decreasing capacity. Also the trains in munich are fully automatic and wouldn't even require a driver but still have one, he just pushes a button when the doors are closed to let the train start, and it drives to the next station and brakes by itself. The practical speed between two trains is 150sec, but 90sec would be technically possible.

Quote:
And there is nothing special inside
The trains look way better on the inside, there are places to lean your butt on when you stand next to the door, the seats are comfortable, the lighting is muuuch better, the feeling of safety is higher (you don't ride blind and feel like in a freight car but have large windows and can see all the way through the train to the front) and there are a lot of oppurtunities to hold when you stand.

Quote:
expect the fact its interior is absolutely inefficient.
Yeah, you know that from, what? Looking at the pictures? I am riding that train in worst conditions, packed to the max on the inside with stations full of people (and japanese people, who don't wait for the others to exit before entering the train but force their way inside and block the way and stop the whole process), the passenger swap happens quick and more efficient than in the old trains and just as quick as in other metro trains I had a ride in, there is more standing space at the entrances. But, as I already said, the internal distribution of seats is up to the customer, the fact that the customer of these trains decided for a distribution that wouldn give higher seating but lower standing capacity and wouldn't give moscow the highest possible capacity, which it needs, doesn't mean that the train is not good, I am talking about ergonomics and modern design, which really wouldn't hamper the capacity or functionality of the metro in moscow.

Quote:
How do you think this is a toy, unreliable, unefficient, not safe and not fast? It is a true heavy metro train, it is just designed to be more pleasing to the passenger and give him a better feeling of security. It is rugged and very stable and feels better when riding than the old trains. It has a power output of 24x100kW while the Moscow metro trains have only 4x115 kW, even the old trains in Munich had 4x195.

Since your impression of it "looking like a tram" or being a toy can come from only seeing it next to the station, here is how it looks like in full view and next to the old trains which are similar to the ones in moscow but just wider (2,9m compared to moscows 2,7m):

There is plenty of standing space through the walk-through capability:

Following your logic, compared to that, the Rusich looks like a tram to me, narrow, small doors....

What I am trying to show you is, a heavy metro train doesn't need to be unmodern, the passengers will appreciate it if the metro looks and feels better and nicer and that would also attract people who otherwise wouldn't like to ride it. And the exterior and interior design does not decrease the capabilities of a heavy metro train, quite the contrary. By sticking to the same old train design and not changing anything but the mask and the technical parts instead of introducing new things like wider doors, better ergonomics etc., the trains will always be limited to the capabilities of the old ones without getting any better. Like I already said, I don't wish them bad, I wish metrowagonmash and the moscow metro to be successful, and that needs innovation.
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #490
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
So you think it's impossible to make a "true heavy metro" train look good?

And the carriages should be walk-through, especially considering the large amount of people because that helps to distribute the mass of people more evenly.
walkthrough trains are not good in peak hours. additionally they are not safe when fire.

it won't help to distribute the mass of passengers simply because most of passengers prefer to stay at doors. and 81-74x series looks good enough, at least inside. the only difference from small nice systems is that it doesn't have rounded elements.
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #491
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post
Walking - through isn`t technicaly best solution. With 1 module vehicle you have the highest freedom for combinations. With one long vehicle - one transport unit, there is no flexibility for making trains.
That is true, that is the down side, but when a city only needs long trains and also has older trains, it can fill the needs for short trains with the old models. The new ones can also be shortened, but it has to be done in the garage and can not be done by simply unhooking them at the end station.

Quote:
In subway, walking - through is unimportant and uncomfortable for other passengers in rush hours. The best useful solution for metro trains is 2-3 modules vehicles, and they are the most used.
No, just not true. Walking through is good to distribute the masses of people, most people enter trains on the front and last end, if you have seperated wagons (like munichs old ones for example) these will be full but the ones in the middle could still take all the people that don't fit in and have to wait, with walk through capability everyone who enters in the back can move along and everyone gets in. Experienced it first hand. And often people who just barely made it to the train have to get in on one end even if they would want to enter in the middle, that way they can redistribute themselves to the middle and make space for new passengers in the back and fron end of the train. When it comes to the point that it would be uncomfortable for the other passengers, the train would be full and thus they could not move. People only move when there is enough space to walk through.

Quote:
When there is demage on one vehicle, you don`t need to put out of service all train, only part.
When there is damage the vehicle goes into the garage, and in the garage they can unhook the train and make it shorter or put it on a different train.

Quote:
By technic, Moscow metro is best, or one of the best in the world. The philosophy in technic sciences in Russia is diferent then in Europe and America. [...] On the other hand, working for customers and trade market is much lessen developed then on west.
That's what I am talking about and what I find sad, the Russian engineers can surely make great trains, and I never said they are bad, but they don't give much about the passenger comfort (who is technically their customer) and that's what I am criticizing. All I wanted to show was that metro trains can look good and have improved functionality in design (from the side, the body, the interior etc).

Last edited by MareCar; December 19th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #492
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Following your logic, compared to that, the Rusich looks like a tram to me, narrow, small doors....
With one exception - it's a lot wider and a lot taller, simply a lot bigger than your train. And this series were designed for light metro with smaller capacity and smaller radius in curves (FL/3 and BL/l1). It's got a 30-meter long two sectional car with an ability to walk through coupled sections. But as there is still no new traditional rolling stock APL (line 4) has got it as well. KolL (line 5) will be also replaced with 81-740/81-741. Since middle 2009 there are only .4 modifications with increased number of doors (so as with increased space of accumulating area) are being produced for traditional lines.

81-76x series were developed in two versions - with full walkthrough trains and without. Which version was selected to production is still not announced.

Quote:
No, just not true. Walking through is good to distribute the masses of people, most people enter trains on the front and last end, if you have seperated wagons (like munichs old ones for example) these will be full but the ones in the middle could still take all the people that don't fit in and have to wait, with walk through capability everyone who enters in the back can move along and everyone gets in. Experienced it first hand. And often people who just barely made it to the train have to get in on one end even if they would want to enter in the middle, that way they can redistribute themselves to the middle and make space for new passengers in the back and fron end of the train. When it comes to the point that it would be uncomfortable for the other passengers, the train would be full and thus they could not move. People only move when there is enough space to walk through.

That's what I am talking about and what I find sad, the Russian engineers can surely make great trains, and I never said they are bad, but they don't give much about the passenger comfort (who is technically their customer) and that's what I am criticizing. All I wanted to show was that metro trains can look good and have improved functionality in design (from the side, the body, the interior etc).
That's not the truth actually. People don't need to move between doors. In peak hours it will be a collision of masses rather than distribution.

The main reason why Moscow was not making walkthrough trains is fire safety. Moscow metro is almost fully underground, so smoke from large fire can quickly kill thousands of passengers. But since late 1990's Moscow metro cars are being equipped with antifire system. This make possible to make walkthrough trains. 81-74x series were first, but partially.

Speaking about design. Look at all major metro systems. Among all of them only London Underground has got nicely designed exterior of trains. And tube trains only until this year. Look at Tokyo metros, Paris, Madrid, Seoul, Shanghai etc. Among them Moscow's 81-74x and 81-76x series doing well. Interior is fully up-to-date. It's just efficient, reliable and made to be quickly replaced in case of being broken. And the design is not the goal of 81-76x. The goal is to make a new set of traditional cars with new chassis and all other new technical stuffing as quickly as possible.

Quote:
There is plenty of standing space through the walk-through capability:
now compare the space between seats

Last edited by coth; December 19th, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #493
ranieri

Likes (Received): 5

styles

Styles and styling of machines (cars, buses, trains, planes, etc.) can be a very personal experience. The Russian rolling stock pictured here is very clean and looks good to me. I live neat Philadelphia and New York City. I also live near New Jersey where PATH operates. PATH trains are new and stylish with their bright blue accents. Philly has some interesting subway cars with their rooftop air conditioners. My main focus is on how plain and boring New York's subway cars look compared to near any system world-wide. I admire New York's very old and original designs much more. When the Brooklyn Rapid Transit was in business, they had many experimental types running that were beautiful. I am always searching for images of systems from around the globe for comparisons. Thank you for posting tyhem here.
ranieri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #494
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
With one exception - it's a lot wider and a lot taller, simply a lot bigger than your train.
See, that's just not true, and I already mentioned that in my previous post, so you haven't even read my post. The Rusich (and all moscow metro trains) is 2,7m, "my" train (which was just an example for a modern looking train) is 2,9m wide, so it is wider than the Rusich, which equals more space for passengers. Height of the Rusich is 3,57 while "mine" is 3,55, so there is absolutely no advantage in that as the 2cm's more headspace won't give the Rusich anything ( and you can't store people on each other, so you can even make it 50cm higher it wouldn't change a thing), while the width of "my" train gives it more passenger space. It is a heavy metro train that is designed to look modern and better, and not a Light Rail Train what you are trying to make it up to be just because you have absolutely no argument against my point, that the Russian Metro Manufacturers have failed in modernizing their train and that could cost them markets.
As I said, it is bigger than the Rusich and the Rusich looks like a Tram or LRT in comparison, to go by your abating discussion style...

Quote:
That's not the truth actually. People don't need to move between doors.
They do. I am the "people", and I want to move between sections of the train, I always wanted even before we hade walk-through trains. It is helpful if I don't manage to get in where I need to, I can just walk from the end to the front if the exit I need is on the front of the station where I go and save some time. Don't you tell me what I want and don't want.

See, you just gave me a perfect example of what is wrong with Russian production attitude. Instead of listening to people to hear what they want, you think that you can tell them what they need and not need.

Quote:
In peak hours it will be a collision of masses rather than distribution.
In peak hours there is no space to walk and nobody will attempt to walk, and especially not masses. In other hours it helps to redistribute not only the pessengers in the train and make up more space and use the space on the train more efficiently, it also helps not produce a "collission of masses" when the people who exit the back all want to exit the station on the front stairwell. And last but not least, it increases passenger comfort, which is important.

Quote:
The main reason why Moscow was not making walkthrough trains is fire safety. Moscow metro is almost fully underground, so smoke from large fire can quickly kill thousands of passengers. But since late 1990's Moscow metro cars are being equipped with antifire system. This make possible to make walkthrough trains. 81-74x series were first, but partially.
Don't you think that a small fire on one wagon would smoke out the one wagon much quicker than a whole train where the smoke can move and has to fill out a lot more space and thus can secure important seconds which would decide between life and death? That basically sacrifices one wagon full of people.

And, don't you have fire extinguishers on your trains? We have 1 per wagon.

Quote:
Speaking about design. Look at all major metro systems. Among all of them only London Underground has got nicely designed exterior of trains. And tube trains only until this year. Look at Tokyo metros, Paris, Madrid, Seoul, Shanghai etc. Among them Moscow's 81-74x and 81-76x series doing well. Interior is fully up-to-date. It's just efficient, reliable and made to be quickly replaced in case of being broken. And the design is not the goal of 81-76x. The goal is to make a new set of traditional cars with new chassis and all other new technical stuffing as quickly as possible.
I don't mean that it has to be fully new hyper-modern design, but wider doors, a bit bigger windows, nicer ceiling and lighting would do a lot.

Quote:
now compare the space between seats

Yes, two hints:

First, look at the guys legs, then imagine someone sitting opposite of him, and then imagine the both lines being full of people. Now you compare the space between the seats, not so much difference anymore, is it?
Second, the train is 2,9 and the russian one 2,7, so it is wider. Look at the walkthrough area, and compare, it has just as much "body" from the outer wall to the walkthrough hole as the russian one, yet it is wider, so the walkthrough area on "my" train is almost as wide as your trains standing area including half a seat on each side. Now compare the place between seats with the walkthrough area, you'll see that there is enoug space and keep in mind the relation between the two trains, and you'll see that there is only a little less standing space between seats when the trains are full as there is one a full moscow metro train. Your train looks nice and spacious when its empty, but when it's full the advantage is gone and the standing space is just a bit bigger.

But all that's not really important as you are trying to derail my initial point, which i repeated more than 5 times and which you obviously have no argument against, which is understandable as there is no argument against innovation but your pride will still not allow you to accept that fact, onto something that I already adressed, which is that the seating disposition is up to the customer. And the passengers in munich wanted to keep more comfortable 4x4 seats instead of all side-seating only

Example: image hosted on flickr

And btw, I like the look of the newer Russian trains, I have just wished for a little more innovation interior and exterior wise.
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #495
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Don't you think that a small fire on one wagon would smoke out the one wagon much quicker than a whole train where the smoke can move and has to fill out a lot more space and thus can secure important seconds which would decide between life and death? That basically sacrifices one wagon full of people.

And, don't you have fire extinguishers on your trains? We have 1 per wagon.
Not much quicker. Almost the same, with exception smoke won't go outside the cars for minutes.

1 or even 4 extinguishers per car is absolutely useless.
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/30/wo...s-capital.html
http://metro.molot.ru/crash_pav.shtml
this even happened when train was stopped on the station
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daegu_subway_fire

Only automatic anti fire/smoke system can prevent such an outcomes. In this case Moscow Metro is most safe now.

Quote:
They do. I am the "people", and I want to move between sections of the train, I always wanted even before we hade walk-through trains. It is helpful if I don't manage to get in where I need to, I can just walk from the end to the front if the exit I need is on the front of the station where I go and save some time. Don't you tell me what I want and don't want.

See, you just gave me a perfect example of what is wrong with Russian production attitude. Instead of listening to people to hear what they want, you think that you can tell them what they need and not need.

I don't mean that it has to be fully new hyper-modern design, but wider doors, a bit bigger windows, nicer ceiling and lighting would do a lot.
You do "people" who reject to understand - Moscow metro cars are being made for very large scale passenger transportation. Not just for a check.

And doors are wide enough. Windows fits all the available space between doors. Lightning is good enough. Only latest cars produced in past months have overbrighted white light. Older cars have a very perfect warm light, just like on photo.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM   #496
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7397

i like the old design better. though they could improve the interior...
soloveich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #497
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Quote:
But all that's not really important as you are trying to derail my initial point, which i repeated more than 5 times and which you obviously have no argument against, which is understandable as there is no argument against innovation but your pride will still not allow you to accept that fact, onto something that I already adressed, which is that the seating disposition is up to the customer. And the passengers in munich wanted to keep more comfortable 4x4 seats instead of all side-seating only
The more seats the less persons/train, if the metro at Moscow is already overload with trains ever 90s on top hour what they need to do make paralel metro lines? put more trains on already full lines?
Compare one intercity bus of 63 seats with one urban bus carring 95.
Also urban transports usualy are for short travels, where you can go few kms without need of a seat.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #498
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
The more seats the less persons/train, if the metro at Moscow is already overload with trains ever 90s on top hour what they need to do make paralel metro lines? put more trains on already full lines?
Compare one intercity bus of 63 seats with one urban bus carring 95.
Also urban transports usualy are for short travels, where you can go few kms without need of a seat.
The important part of my post, again, read.

"But all that's not really important as you are trying to derail my initial point, which i repeated more than 5 times[...], onto something that I already adressed, which is that the seating disposition is up to the customer. And the passengers in munich wanted to keep more comfortable 4x4 seats instead of all side-seating only"

See, the seating has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I said, why I posted the pictures or what the point I was trying to make was. I posted them to show design and interior quality. That's all. And you keep jumping about how seating configurations don't fit the moscow metro, like that was the point of my post.

Quote:
Not much quicker. Almost the same, with exception smoke won't go outside the cars for minutes.
I don't understand the last part what you said, but the first part about "not much quicker" sounds not right. If a fire produces, lets just say, 5 cubic meters of smoke per second, and the wagon has a total of 150 cubic meters, then it will be smoked out complely in 30seconds, killing everybody inside, but if the wagon is openly connected to other wagons, the smoke won't stay in that one wagon but distribute on the ceiling into nearby wagons, so after 30seconds, the concentration of smoke in that particular wagon will be lower than if it was closed, and that could save people's lives. Understand what I mean?

Quote:
1 or even 4 extinguishers per car is absolutely useless.
No, if a seat or trash can catches fire, an extinguisher will be good first-aid to put the fire out or supress it enough to get the people to safety and keep the fire from spreading out. But not if someone makes an attack, that's sure.

Quote:
Only automatic anti fire/smoke system can prevent such an outcomes. In this case Moscow Metro is most safe now.
That's good, do you know how they work? I mean they can't just release oxygen killing gas as that would also kill people, no? Do they have some better system?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM   #499
MareCar
BANNED

doublepost
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #500
coth
pride leader

Moscow Metro: New APL extension

After 15 years of wating APL (line 3, navy color) is finally coming to Mitino district. One more station, Pyatnitskaya, is planned to be built in next two years.

Should be opened tomorrow, expanding system route length to over 298km.

shots taken by russos today and yesterday.
http://russos.livejournal.com/650859.html
http://russos.livejournal.com/650626.html
http://russos.livejournal.com/650151.html
http://russos.livejournal.com/649853.html

Mitino
Located in the center of the district. A single-vault station, very typical in modern times.

station itself

entrance

russos' shots in the entrance

Volokolamskaya

station with a one of architects
aleksandr orlov

entrance

few days ago

Myakinino
First station in Moscow province. Built on private money in the parking building of Crocus complex (europe's largest expo center, just opened europe's largest concert hall, several malls and several office buildings. a skyscraper cluster is also planned) just in a year. It's still far away from completion. Most of cladding is temporal. Moscow metro expect investor will finish the project in approved version.

station

entrance
not finished yet, but expected to be finished during the night.

yesterday

future entrance

the bridge, obviously will be closed in first days.

miscellaneous

in tunnels

a new smart card validator. just as a reminder - moscow metro is a driven system for contactless technologies. was first in europe to use smart cards and first major metro system to run fully contactless. for a long time it also operates on wifi.

an updated revision of UT-2009 turnstiles with display. there was UT-2000 revision with display installed on one or two stations, but idea was later cancelled. now there is display again, but on UT-2009.

an updated map

Tags
метро, metro, moscow, subway