daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #881
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7092

del.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; August 17th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #882
AlekseyVT
BANNED

del.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; August 17th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #883
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum;61105419 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************61105419******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Unlike Moscow where all stations are deep?

And I imagine that unlike Moscow where it's the major problem in Minsk there are no buildings above ground, on contrary it's only steppe and people living in yurts?
In Minsk metro most of the stations even have no escalators...
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM   #884
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareCar View Post
I doubt the platform really runs parallel to the street
We are talking about deep stations. They do not runs parallel to the streets.

Quote:
It most probably just crosses the street on the surface at some angle, lying both underneath the street and undearneath buildings.
The underground vestibule is near the street, the escalator goes down to the station and the station itself is somewhere under the city. And don't forget about everything that was posted here before.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #885
AlekseyVT
BANNED

del.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; August 17th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM   #886
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Moscow Metro Dogs

I found an interesting article about stray dogs using the metro system to get around Moscow.

Quote:
Smartest Dogs: Moscow Stray Dogs
http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...ow-stray-dogs/

Russian scientists say that Moscow stray dogs became much smarter. The four legged oldest human’s friends demonstrate real smartness such as riding the Moscow metro every morning to get from their suburban places of living to the fat regions of Moscow center. Once they arrive to the downtown they demonstrate different new, previously unseen for the dog skills. Those skills can include “the hunt for shawarma” for example, the popular among Muscovites eastern cuisine dish. This hunt scene can be seen as this:
Regular Moscow busy street with some small food kiosks. A middle-aged man buys himself a piece of hot fast food and walks aside chewing it without a rush. Then just in a second he jumps up frightened - some doggy has sneaked up on him and barked out loudly. His tasty snack falls out from his hands down to the ground and the dog gets it. Just ten minutes later, on the same place, the teen youngster loses his dinner in exactly the same manner. The modern Russian dogs are on their urban hunt.

“This method of ambushing people from their back is widely exercised by Moscow dogs”, saying A. Poiarkov, working in Ecology and Evolution Institute of Moscow. “The main point here is to define who would drop the food scared and who won’t, but the dogs are great psychologists they can do it better than us”.

Moscow ecologists think that dogs started acquiring this habits in 1990s, when the Soviet union collapsed and Moscow has fell into the hands of new class of Russian capitalists. They understood the true value of the downtown realty underestimated by previous Communist owners and became removing all the industrial complexes Moscow had in its centre to its outskirts. Those places were used by homeless dogs as a shelter often, so the dogs had to move together with their houses, so they had to learn how to travel Moscow subway - first to get to the centre in the morning then back home in the evening, just as us people.

The commercial revolution of Moscow made their usual feeding places like trash bins out of direct reach, so they had to get to know new ways of getting their piece of food. That’s how appeared those “Shawarma hunts”. Sometimes though they use more gentle methods. Young girl sits on the bench to eat her hot dog - a big cute looking dog appears from the surrounding bushes and puts her head on her knees. The girl can’t help herself sharing the hotdog with a dog.
Among some more amazing skill those Moscow dogs are the ability not to miss their stop while going on the subway train. Biologists say dogs have very nice sense of time which helps them not to miss their destination. Another skill they have is to cross the road on the green traffic light. “They don’t react on color, but on the picture they see on the traffic light”, Moscow scientist tells. Also they choose often the last or the first metro car - those are less crowded usually.

It’s funny but the ecologists studying Moscow stray dogs also tell the dogs don’t miss a chance to get some play while on their travel in the subway. They are fond of jumping in the train just seconds before the doors shut closed risking their tails be jammed. “They do it for fun, just they have enough food”, they conclude.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #887
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6987

1. already noted what is what in a short form
2. your article was completely irrelevant and distorting facts.
3. that site is not welcomed here. it's run outside russian and works on making poor image. therefore nationalistic and extremist.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM   #888
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

(Begin Sarcasm mode) I'm sorry I thought I was posting something about a unique feature about the Moscow Metro. (End Sarcasm mode)

Seriously dude what is your problem? I posted this article because I thought it was a unique feature of the Moscow metro, there is no nationalistic angle here.
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #889
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I found an interesting article about stray dogs using the metro system to get around Moscow.
This article isn't shame for Moscow and Russia by my oppinion. For my retrospective it may be a compliment.

"Moscow underground is so users friendly, that dogs can easy and successfull use it."
"Service in Moscow metro is so realiable that dogs ride oriented only to travel times."

One interesting thing happened few days ago, when I rided one late evening bus from Belgrade to one suburban place 30km from Belgrade. One wild dog enter a bus. All riders make jokes on this unusual case. This dog was friendly to riders, and I didn`t know on which stop this dog board in, and where he go, because I traveled only 24km to my destination. Wild dogs all around Belgrade make tnemselves cute and poor to make people to give them something to eat. There isn`t so often, but sometimes happens, dog steals some food from someone. Dogs are animals with lot of skills. Different between Russia and Serbia (for example) is between people, not between dogs. In Russia there are science researchings about animals, when Serbia is science desert, and that is one positive thing more about Russia, by my oppinion.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #890
AlekseyVT
BANNED

del.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; August 17th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #891
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

It is so cute, which reminds me of the cat riding buses all by itself in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

(Begin Sarcasm mode) I'm sorry I thought I was posting something about a unique feature about the Moscow Metro. (End Sarcasm mode)

Seriously dude what is your problem? I posted this article because I thought it was a unique feature of the Moscow metro, there is no nationalistic angle here.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #892
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
We, Russians, generally like dogs. Dogs served us during different wars. Spacedogs Laika, Belka and Strelka were first animals in space. Symbol "@" is known as "sobaka" ("dog") in Russia (I don't know any Western state which use this term).
Thank you I am glad somebody gets me. I posted that article because I thought it was cool that stray dogs knew how to ride the metro there and were allowed to enter the metro stations. To me that does speak highly of Russia and Russians in general, when they take care of their pets or stray animals.
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #893
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 779

cool article , mosckow dogs commute using the subway in the morning and evening just like people - that's pretty amazing ...i mean how do they know wich station to get off
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #894
AlekseyVT
BANNED

del.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; August 17th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #895
Deo
You know...

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Cute. :)
Deo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #896
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evian View Post
I await the day when an old day falls on the tracks while trying to get a closer look at the text
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #897
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin2 View Post
I await the day when an old day falls on the tracks while trying to get a closer look at the text
That is kind of mean of you... but luckily old ladies in Moscow are even smarter than dogs... they have learned their way around long time ago and do not really need to read these signs.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #898
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

What about tourist old ladies?

BTW
Quote:
Amazing dog!
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #899
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
What about tourist old ladies?

BTW

Amazing dog!
99,9% of them can't read in Russian anyway, and adding English in this crowded space would hardly allow larger fonts
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #900
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Heh, I know dude I was just kidding

Tags
метро, metro, moscow, subway