daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1301
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
1. Well, they have the old design. But it is very reliable in work.
2. There are about 4500 wagons in Moscow Metro. The majority of the old trains are not exhausted their operational resource. Therefore, it is foolish to discard them from exploitation and buy new trains instead of this. It's expensive, unnecessary and economically unjustifiable.
3. However, with time, old trains will need to be replaced. But this is a systematic and unhurried process that continues today. Currently they fully replaced rolling stock at the three of 12 Moscow Metro lines - Line 3, Line 4 and Butovskaya Line of Light Metro. This year they almost fully replaced rolling stock at Ring Line. By 2011, Rusich trains - 10% of rolling stock.
Size wise they're not comparable, but I remember Oslo had huge problems with maintenance on our old rolling stock. I guess that you can make it more effective when having such huge amount of rolling stock as Moscow has, but I can't really see why you wouldn't modernize it. A modern fleet is always better than an old one. Less power consumption and cheaper maintenance. To think otherwise is not very smart!
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1302
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
Size wise they're not comparable, but I remember Oslo had huge problems with maintenance on our old rolling stock. I guess that you can make it more effective when having such huge amount of rolling stock as Moscow has, but I can't really see why you wouldn't modernize it. A modern fleet is always better than an old one. Less power consumption and cheaper maintenance. To think otherwise is not very smart!
There are also new ones, like these:

But old stock is reliable, and probably even more reliable than new one, but it will be replaced gradually anyway

Highcliff liked this post
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1303
Northridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
But old stock is reliable, and probably even more reliable than new one, but it will be replaced gradually anyway
I think you're buying the wrong type of trains then.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1304
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Size wise they're not comparable, but I remember Oslo had huge problems with maintenance on our old rolling stock. I guess that you can make it more effective when having such huge amount of rolling stock as Moscow has, but I can't really see why you wouldn't modernize it.
They are modernizing this. They are developing new models and carrying out regular maintenance of old wagons.

Quote:
A modern fleet is always better than an old one. Less power consumption and cheaper maintenance. To think otherwise is not very smart!
This is not the truth. New cars have more technical devices, resulting in an overall reliability is reduced. And, of course, new trains with air-conditioning system and electronic information system can't consume less energy than old ones. Maintenance of such trains also can't be cheaper, because new details always cost more than old ones.

AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1305
Northridge

Quote:
This is not the truth.
Yes it is. Believe it or not.

Why do you think other transport systems are buying new rolling stock?
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1306
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
The trains in the Moscow metro runs almost exclusively in tunnels. It is basically an indoor train, not subjected to weather related tings degrading the trains, like wind/rain/snow/ice/salt etc. This means the trains have a much longer commercial life than for example the trains used in Oslo. With such a huge fleet they probably also have an enormous stock of spare parts so they easily can maintain the trains way beyond their original designlife.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1307
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
It's interesting, how you can determine this?

Quote:
Yes it is. Believe it or not.

Why do you think other transport systems are buying new rolling stock?
Because the new rolling stock are more comfortable, although more expensive. For this reason people are buying new personal auto cars, although old cars are cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
The trains in the Moscow metro runs almost exclusively in tunnels. It is basically an indoor train, not subjected to weather related tings degrading the trains, like wind/rain/snow/ice/salt etc. This means the trains have a much longer commercial life than for example the trains used in Oslo.
Right. By the way, old trains were firstly replaced with new at the lines with large open-air segments and big number of ground-level and over-ground stations (Line 3, Line 4 and Butovskaya Line).

Highcliff, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; November 27th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1308
Axort

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
With such a huge fleet they probably also have an enormous stock of spare parts so they easily can maintain the trains way beyond their original designlife.
Actually, nobody maintains trains way beyond their design life.

Original design life of rolling stock used in Moscow Metro is 35-40 years. The trains being replaced currently were build in 70s-early 80s, so that rolling stock replacement goes just as planned.
Axort no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #1309
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
I've been to Rome a few month ago, they have new air conditioned CAF trains, but also old ones, which are worse or at least not better technically than old trains in Moscow, not considering they are completely vandalized, unlike the ones from Moscow.
Buying foreign trains for Moscow subway is not the option also, maybe just cooperation with foreign manufactures, such as Alstom (which is a shareholder of Transmasholding) may bring the results.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #1310
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

Quote:
The train on photo is just a one of few Moscow Metro's Doctor Yellows - track monitor/geometry/maintenance train. There is an only line utilizing trains built before 1977 - TKL (6). But they were completely refurbished few years with 10-year extended lifetime. Mostly old bogies and bodies left. Most of else was replaced.

Two lines using trains built in late 1970's. One (circle, 5) is being entirely replaced right now. Another one (KSL, 8) awaiting a new car series, which are on trial runs at the moment. 4 lines (APL 3, FL 4, KahL 11 and BL L1) utilizing only rolling stock built in XXI century. These are on pretty much high technological level.
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1311
Northridge

Quote:
It's interesting, how you can determine this?
It was meant as a joke, hence the smiley. But I think I still have a point. If you get worse trains after renewal I will suggest that you maybe got some trains of bad quality.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1312
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Opening will be on December 1 or December 2, 2011. Station "Zyablikovo":

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

Highcliff, geometarkv liked this post
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1313
AlekseyVT
BANNED

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #1314
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Station "Shipilovskaya":

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #1315
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Station "Borisovo":

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1316
AlekseyVT
BANNED

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

BluesMaker

Old November 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1317
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2253

pics of interior for new trains ?
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #1318
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
OK, I'll bite - The Clock shows 11.39 and the 2.43 is what, the time until the next train?
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1319
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5767

I will let AlekseyVT give a more detailed response, but I believe that measures the time since the previous train left the station, although at what exact point the clock resets I don't know (sometime between when the front car leaves the platform and when the tail car leaves the platform, or maybe even later).

Thus, while many cities have countdown clocks, Moscow has count-up clocks (although there are countdown clocks at Filyovskaya Line stations where outbound trains serve more than one destination).

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1320
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axort View Post
Actually, nobody maintains trains way beyond their design life.
Wrong ... Montreal does (for which the place can be applauded) and even wins prizes for doing so , even if their older stock's wholly indoors ... no offense, but were Montreal London, then the number of service (stock) failures'd be outrageously unacceptable

Last edited by trainrover; November 29th, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
метро, metro, moscow, subway