daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:38 AM   #2521
mrtfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,266
Likes (Received): 201

Sounds kinda exciting the way your transit system has been given a boost on all fronts. There's supposed to be a new order of MKIIs? When will that be delivered?
__________________
Hypocrites be bashin' up front, but usin' behind the backs.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM   #2522
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Sounds kinda exciting the way your transit system has been given a boost on all fronts. There's supposed to be a new order of MKIIs? When will that be delivered?
48 Mark II cars will be arriving next year.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM   #2523
Ravman
Registered User
 
Ravman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

So if you are telling me that the Liberal record all these years is better than the 90s... times have changed... so u are telling me that our dollar is doing well because of gordo.

the economy of our entire country is better today than it was in the 90s... homelessness is on the rise and so is the creation of the energy crises. you can thank the NDP or should i say gordo when BC is forced to pay the same rates if not higher than what the Americans pay (assuming you all agree that BC has the lowest electricity rates in the entire North America) when gordo's $60 billion privatization is over and done with.

ok as for the transportation plan.... it was the NDP that built the Millennium line and the expo line extension from scott road to king george. the line goes on for a block or so after the station to park cars and for future upgrades

There was supposed to have been a second phase of the Millennium Line. it was supposed to be an extension from Lougheed Mall to Coquitlam. Now as you all may know switches are installed on the eastern side just outside of Lougheed Station on the and the foundation third platform was laid in anticipation of the extension. Now i wonder who cancelled the plan to continue the line when he took office? we should have had the evergreen line built by now. the extension to ubc was planned for the after the said line was built.

Turning to the Canada Line: you all know the criticism of the system( single tracking, short platforms et la) so i am not going to even go there...

they tried to upgrade the fleet with MADE IN BC ferries that were supposed to reduce the crossing time, reduce waiting times etc... but it was a good idea that went bad. i mean trying to rebuild an industry is a bad thing... the total cost for each British Columbians was around $100... and i believe that was my economic prof who did the math not me ( 400ish million / 4 ish million people). the new ferries are from germany... our tax dollars went to germany and with the fast cats they stayed in BC. the NDP tried to create jobs and what did it cost British Columbians... only $100... surely none of you have ever wasted $100 so far in your life?

we all can complain after the fact. but at the end of the day i am willing to bet money that the original portion of the transportation plan will be built at the cost and within the time frame provided because i highly doubt it. the evergreen line should have been 4 or 5 years old today and we have yet to see the start of the construction.

i am saying situation are different than the 90s and you cannot compare apples with oranges. In the meantime i await to see the budget and the details on his plans
Ravman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM   #2524
Overground
Registered User
 
Overground's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,593
Likes (Received): 125

I am no fan of the NDP but Ravman does make some valid points.
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2525
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
they tried to upgrade the fleet with MADE IN BC ferries that were supposed to reduce the crossing time, reduce waiting times etc... but it was a good idea that went bad. i mean trying to rebuild an industry is a bad thing... the total cost for each British Columbians was around $100... and i believe that was my economic prof who did the math not me ( 400ish million / 4 ish million people). the new ferries are from germany... our tax dollars went to germany and with the fast cats they stayed in BC. the NDP tried to create jobs and what did it cost British Columbians... only $100... surely none of you have ever wasted $100 so far in your life?
BC Ferries is now privatized (to this date, i'm still not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing), it's now along the same lines as Air Canada. and really, at the end of the day, all i care about is quality ferry service....and from what i can tell so far, we got a bang out of our buck for those three German made ferries. however, note that our tax dollars did not go towards these new boats - it came out of the ferry corporation on its own...and i would imagine they chose the German supplier to avert a disaster like the Pacificats.

The same argument could be put to use on Translink's New Flyer trolley fleet purchase. The other bid had far more superior trolleys, promised to deliver 40 extra buses than the set requirement, and it would also be delivered a year ahead of schedule and the cost was even lower than the New Flyer bid. And why did we choose New Flyer? It was Canadian. And now, the result? we have problematic trolleys (and buses) that might not even survive half of their 25-year lifespan.



I don't think anyone can say the Campbell Liberals are perfect, but I certainly do think they are better than our only other alternative. Nobody on the NDP side is capable of leading this province. There is not even one candidate...Carole James is a complete joke.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM   #2526
EastVanMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyflyfisher View Post
Yup. lets let those wonderfully talented experts in the NDP fix the transportation issues....after all, they did do a bang up job on upgrading the ferry system didn't they.

Ravman, you joined up very recently and thus far have either cut/pasted a story from the Tyee, or bashed the Libs and "Gordo" in every one of your posts. YAWN......get over it dude, the NDP suck and union boss's (NDP leaders) don't know squat about running a province...you must remember the wonderful 90's?
Well said. I guess its pure co-incidence that every time they have been in power, the province has ground to a halt. (Take the 90's. We ended the 80's leading the country in economic growth, became a "have not" province in the 90's then, reassumed our top ranking shortly after the NDP were booted to the curb. Just a co-incidence I'm sure)
EastVanMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM   #2527
DKaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mission
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 0

I wish there were Nova trolleys, I am growing really fond of the Nova buses. They so much more comfortable to ride and so much quieter as well. The wheels look funny like the old Toyota vans but maybe that's why they're more comfy.
DKaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #2528
Vancouverite
Registered User
 
Vancouverite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 399
Likes (Received): 11

^ I love the look of the cowling on the New Flyer trolleys. I just wish they had a third door at the back.
__________________
Vancouverite in SSC | SFUVancouver in SSP

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM   #2529
allurban
All Urban
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 4,348
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
i think we might be going with SkyTrain for the Evergreen Line. With the UBC extension and Surrey extension as SkyTrain, why not go another step further? Not to mention that the new transit plan calls for the Evergreen Line cost to be $1.4 billion....that's more than $400 million more than Translink's LRT proposal, which makes SkyTrain all more likely.
Agreed, agreed...

sorry, I forget that you actually have the money from all 3 levels of government to make this happen...

m was thinking that this might just be a hollow funding announcement...like the ones often heard in toronto... which leave us wondering when and if anything will actually happen. I think it still amazes many Torontonians to hear that Transit City will happen because the TTC has already got the guarantee of money from the city.

But seriously, I'm very happy for Vancouver, and if the evergreen line is LRT or skytrain, overall it will be a great addition to the lower mainland.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM   #2530
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravman View Post
So if you are telling me that the Liberal record all these years is better than the 90s... times have changed... so u are telling me that our dollar is doing well because of gordo.

the economy of our entire country is better today than it was in the 90s... homelessness is on the rise and so is the creation of the energy crises. you can thank the NDP or should i say gordo when BC is forced to pay the same rates if not higher than what the Americans pay (assuming you all agree that BC has the lowest electricity rates in the entire North America) when gordo's $60 billion privatization is over and done with.

ok as for the transportation plan.... it was the NDP that built the Millennium line and the expo line extension from scott road to king george. the line goes on for a block or so after the station to park cars and for future upgrades

There was supposed to have been a second phase of the Millennium Line. it was supposed to be an extension from Lougheed Mall to Coquitlam. Now as you all may know switches are installed on the eastern side just outside of Lougheed Station on the and the foundation third platform was laid in anticipation of the extension. Now i wonder who cancelled the plan to continue the line when he took office? we should have had the evergreen line built by now. the extension to ubc was planned for the after the said line was built.

Turning to the Canada Line: you all know the criticism of the system( single tracking, short platforms et la) so i am not going to even go there...

they tried to upgrade the fleet with MADE IN BC ferries that were supposed to reduce the crossing time, reduce waiting times etc... but it was a good idea that went bad. i mean trying to rebuild an industry is a bad thing... the total cost for each British Columbians was around $100... and i believe that was my economic prof who did the math not me ( 400ish million / 4 ish million people). the new ferries are from germany... our tax dollars went to germany and with the fast cats they stayed in BC. the NDP tried to create jobs and what did it cost British Columbians... only $100... surely none of you have ever wasted $100 so far in your life?

we all can complain after the fact. but at the end of the day i am willing to bet money that the original portion of the transportation plan will be built at the cost and within the time frame provided because i highly doubt it. the evergreen line should have been 4 or 5 years old today and we have yet to see the start of the construction.

i am saying situation are different than the 90s and you cannot compare apples with oranges. In the meantime i await to see the budget and the details on his plans
No one says the high canadian dollar was because of gordo... But booming provincial economies do have an influence over the national economy. Currently though, Alberta's economy (because of their oil) really has the biggest influence.

With regards to the SkyTrain extensions by the NDP, I have to say that it's true, the NDP did improve our transit system and laid the foundation for future extensions. I thank NDP for that. Now we have Gordon Campbell stepping up the plate and presenting us a goal that I'm pretty sure we would make - we need all those rapid transit lines! Sure the Provincial plan was a package of rapid transit/bus lines all over the map, but we now see that the Government of British Columbia is committed in helping out. We now see that the Government of British Columbia is trying their best to urge the Federal Government to help out.

Now with the Canada Line - yes we complain about this and that. We are just requesting a lot. But at the end of the day, we are happy to see there is some sort of rapid transit line go from Downtown to Airport and Downtown to Vancouver.

I would say it's a good move they canceled AND held up the Evergreen Line - I'm pretty sure it would've been LRT. Now we see that there is a chance the Evergreen Line will be a SkyTrain. Go to SCP for Falcon's quote.

Ironically, despite NDP's huge infrastructure projects, they made the BC economy turn for the worst. Glen Clark's crazy over-budget fast ferries that are sitting in the Burrard inlet collecting dust and his other frivolous spending habits resulted in huge economical losses. So then the BC Liberals actually had to sweep up their mess they created, which included many cuts to the budget. But because of those cuts and spending money properly, along with the improving Canadian economy, our local economy moved towards the sky. Now here we have the NDP criticizing about the many cuts - well what can the liberals do? Continue seeing tax dollars slip from our hands or start doing some major cut backs in order to start saving money and finally have enough to invest in BC's economy? Because of all those spending cuts, we see business confidence begin to improve, leading up to the booming British Columbian economy today. Unemployment declined to levels not seen since the 1960s - right now, we even have labour shortages.

Also note the Fast Ferries were really expensive to run, lots of gas to make a ferry go fast. We were literally flushing money down the toilet. Great job Glen Clarke!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm hoping to see a lot of the transit initiatives be P3 - that way, BC taxpayers won't have to be on the hook. Look at a great example of P3: the Canada Line. We are seeing on-time construction and it's on budget. How many infrastructure projects are on budget and on time?

Last edited by deasine; February 1st, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:39 AM   #2531
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

Anyway I posted this up at SCP - it's in BETA stages =P

deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM   #2532
DKaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mission
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Anyway I posted this up at SCP - it's in BETA stages =P
Looks great, but hate to tell you that the North Burnaby Station's been canceled due to the technicality of things. It would've been really nice but at this point I guess it's not feasible. The best place to put a station would've been north of Willingdon Ave but the Chevron refinery's already there. Also I think that the Airport and Richmond branch should just be called Canada Line altogether which it will be. There are many other subway lines that have a same line serving a few branches, you just have to look at the destination sign or listen for the announcement. Seems weird at first but I think they'll stick with it. One more thing, it's Guildford not Guilford. And I think you should put the airport-airplane symbol at YVR so tourists know that YVR means the airport. Oh and one more thing (last one promise) the Millennium Line's green looks like the Richmond Line's green west of Lougheed...

Don't get me wrong, I love it!

Last edited by DKaz; February 1st, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
DKaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM   #2533
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Looks great, but hate to tell you that the North Burnaby Station's been canceled due to the technicality of things. It would've been really nice but at this point I guess it's not feasible. The best place to put a station would've been north of Willingdon Ave but the Chevron refinery's already there. Also I think that the Airport and Richmond branch should just be called Canada Line altogether which it will be. There are many other subway lines that have a same line serving a few branches, you just have to look at the destination sign or listen for the announcement. Seems weird at first but I think they'll stick with it. One more thing, it's Guildford not Guilford. And I think you should put the airport-airplane symbol at YVR so tourists know that YVR means the airport. Oh and one more thing (last one promise) the Millennium Line's green looks like the Richmond Line's green west of Lougheed...

Don't get me wrong, I love it!
No I like comments (particularity positive ones LOL) but thanks for telling me. I didn't notice the spelling mistake with Guildford. I will change that tomorrow.

Good call with the airplane logo.

Now with the comment of the Canada Line should be one line - I don't completely agree. I just think it's easier for people. And for political reasons, we can say we built two lines instead of one. Actually, I think I should change the name to YVR Line just to recognize the fact that YVR did pour lots of money into the project.

Pity with the North Burnaby station =( I guess I do have to remove it.

Thanks for commenting =)
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2534
zivan56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Ironically, despite NDP's huge infrastructure projects, they made the BC economy turn for the worst. Glen Clark's crazy over-budget fast ferries that are sitting in the Burrard inlet collecting dust and his other frivolous spending habits resulted in huge economical losses. So then the BC Liberals actually had to sweep up their mess they created, which included many cuts to the budget.
Any do we recall why? Because BC Ferries wanted a catamaran that rides low in the water...an oxymoron. A new ferry design takes time to get right, and no time was given for this. The only reason they are standing there is because of politics and to remind people.
BC Ferries couldn't care less if you gave them a WW2 ship, they would run it as long as it works, much less has minor issues. Let's not forget the NIMBYS complaining that their dinghys are being damaged when anything above 5 knots passes by; forcing them to run at a low non cruise speed. The only reason they were pulled was due to the change in government.
Kind of reminds me of the parliament building in Sarajevo, the tallest building in the city, which was left for ~12 years burned out to "remind" the people of "those" people (even when offered to be repaired for free).
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM   #2535
nova9
Registered User
 
nova9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 310
Likes (Received): 1

Have I been living under a rock but when did the new Nova buses start announcing stops and displaying stop names? I got on the 20 Victoria and the led display showed the upcoming station and the creepiest lady robot voice announced the next stop. took me by surprise.
nova9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2536
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Any do we recall why? Because BC Ferries wanted a catamaran that rides low in the water...an oxymoron. A new ferry design takes time to get right, and no time was given for this. The only reason they are standing there is because of politics and to remind people.
BC Ferries couldn't care less if you gave them a WW2 ship, they would run it as long as it works, much less has minor issues. Let's not forget the NIMBYS complaining that their dinghys are being damaged when anything above 5 knots passes by; forcing them to run at a low non cruise speed. The only reason they were pulled was due to the change in government.
Kind of reminds me of the parliament building in Sarajevo, the tallest building in the city, which was left for ~12 years burned out to "remind" the people of "those" people (even when offered to be repaired for free).
True, BC Ferries did wanted a catamaran. But then BC Ferries did want to start leasing a similar ship before jumping to conclusions. We could have had a chance to not spend as much money. Instead, Glen Clark decided to go with building the Fast Cats straight away, a political move that ultimately costed the NDP party.

Last edited by deasine; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:46 AM   #2537
DKaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mission
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 0

LRT out, Skytrain in?
http://www.translink.bc.ca/About_Tra...ws02010801.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Have I been living under a rock but when did the new Nova buses start announcing stops and displaying stop names? I got on the 20 Victoria and the led display showed the upcoming station and the creepiest lady robot voice announced the next stop. took me by surprise.
Yea they're starting to test the new system on random trolley, 99 B-Line, 160, 169, 701, and a couple other routes' trips. They're asking passengers to send feedback and once they work out all the kinks roll out the system to all routes.
DKaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #2538
Ravman
Registered User
 
Ravman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Have I been living under a rock but when did the new Nova buses start announcing stops and displaying stop names? I got on the 20 Victoria and the led display showed the upcoming station and the creepiest lady robot voice announced the next stop. took me by surprise.
i dont recall seeing novas on a trolley route that started announcing routes moreover i dont recall ever seeing a led display on the novas... are you sure it was a nova... i have seen them on the new flyers tolleys ( the led display et al)
Ravman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM   #2539
nova9
Registered User
 
nova9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 310
Likes (Received): 1

i stand corrected. yes, the new flyers is what i meant.
nova9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:58 AM   #2540
deasine
=)
 
deasine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,452
Likes (Received): 57

yes I agree the women has a disgusting voice. I commented on SCP that it sounds a little to "navigation-car" like or too computer like.

Quote:
January 25, 2008
Improving accessibility for all: TransLink tests new management & communications system

Customers on certain transit routes throughout Metro Vancouver will notice something new on selected buses for the next few weeks: an automated voice and an information display announcing the next stops.

Coast Mountain Bus Company is testing TMAC – the new Transit Management and Communications system – on 23 buses throughout the fleet. “This development is just one of the service and safety improvements we’ll see as a result of TransLink’s $40 million investment in a new radio system for the bus fleet,” says TransLink CEO Pat Jacobsen. TMAC – built onto a communications platform provided by Init Innovations in Transportation of Virginia – improves communication, schedule reliability and safety in a variety of ways.

For example, TMAC enables GPS (Global Positioning System) location of individual buses, so that dispatchers can respond to traffic and demand patterns and change route assignments accordingly. Buses can also be located more accurately in the event of an emergency in which the operator is not able to communicate the position.

GPS location would also allow for further improvements in customer information functions, such as the newly launched Next Bus feature. Currently, Next Bus tells the user when the next six buses are scheduled to arrive at a given stop. With GPS, Next Bus will be able to tell a customer when the next six buses are actually expected to arrive.

Another feature enabled by TMAC is the “annunciator”: customers riding some of the new buses will hear the automated message on the next stop while LED panels in the ceiling display the same information.

The annunciator helps fill a need long called for by advocates in the disability community: improved access for visually impaired people. TransLink has worked closely with the disability community for many years, developing ways of making conventional public transportation more accessible to more people.

TMAC will be tested at random through January 31 on all trolley routes, as well as on selected 99 B-Line, #160, #190 #601 and #701 buses. The pilot test will include a customer survey, to help “fine tune” the system before it is installed on other buses in the fleet.
You can always comment on the voices when they start their customer survey...

The current navigation GPS system and Automated Voices with LED Stop Display is created by init.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium