daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3781
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Great news for the Canada Line, linking downtown Vancouver with YVR-Airport and downtown Richmond. There were many skeptics of the 100 000 ridership mark, but it looks like they are proven quite wrong.

Quote:
Canada Line daily ridership breaks 100,000 occasionally, average at 92,852 including weekends!
Ian Bailey

Vancouver — From Tuesday's Globe and Mail Published on Monday, Dec. 28, 2009 8:34PM EST Last updated on Monday, Dec. 28, 2009 8:35PM EST

The Canada Line earned Ryan Campbell's affection by sparing him the daily ordeal of taking four buses and walking two kilometres to get to his job in Richmond.

Much of that grind for the 20-year-old West Vancouver resident has been erased by the $2-billion system, which began running last August and is the first in Canada to link a downtown to its airport.

But it's the line past the airport to central Richmond that cheers Mr. Campbell.

On a chill, blustery December night, Mr. Campbell is far from the airport, disembarking from Richmond-Brighouse – the southernmost station – for a quick walk to his customer service job at a London Drugs outlet.

“It's perfect,” Mr. Campbell said when asked about his views of the Line. “If [the Canada Line] wasn't around, I couldn't make it to this place I'm working at so easily.”

Because of stops through Richmond and at such Vancouver-area fixtures as the airport, City Hall, the burgeoning Olympic Village neighbourhood, Yaletown and the downtown SeaBus terminal, the Canada Line has picked up considerable support.

Daily Canada Line ridership has occasionally topped 100,000, which is the break-even threshold for the system covering its operating costs. That level comes about three years ahead of schedule.

Including weekends, the Canada Line is averaging 92,852 riders a day, said Steve Crombie, spokesman for InTransitBC, builder and operator of the system.

“The trend is increasing. We've been seeing weekly increases since the line started,” he said.

Critics focus on the fact that the Canada Line came before the much-needed Evergreen Line to the northeast, the devastating impact of street-gouging construction on businesses in the Cambie Village area of central Vancouver, and that some bus routes were trimmed or eliminated as a result of its opening.

But the line is crowded with its fans.

They include Steven Nelson, a 34-year-old Bell Canada technician who is in the Lower Mainland from Toronto these days for work related to the 2010 Olympics.

Mr. Nelson, also disembarking at Richmond-Brighouse, said that without the line he would have been relying on buses to get to work, which he suggested was not an enticing prospect.

“Overall, I think the service is great.”

Gordon Price, a six-term Vancouver city councillor who is now director of the city program at Simon Fraser University, said things appear to be going “pretty damn well” for the system.

He said he has been struck by the number of passengers toting and pushing their luggage. Mr. Price said he was skeptical business travellers would be interested in taking a system that compelled them to take their luggage to and from the stations.

“What I hadn't taken into account was the downsizing of luggage to carry-on and wheels. You can sure see it, pretty dramatic,” he said. “It brought a class of people, who normally didn't take transit into their thinking and got them aboard … both literally and enthusiastically.”

Mr. Price has been using the line to get from his home in Vancouver's West End to the downtown campus of SFU, taking a bus to the Vancouver-City Centre stop for the line.

“It's kind of an enjoyable trip in the sense that I get to see that transit culture in action, which I kind of enjoy.”

He also uses it to get to Vancouver City Hall, the airport, and has used it to go for dim sum at the critically acclaimed Chinese restaurants in Richmond.

His one big criticism: No station in the midst of the shops, restaurants and other businesses of bustling Cambie Village.

“Particularly after the hardship they went through, it would have made sense,” he said.
Via Globe and Mail
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3782
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Looks like InTransitBC will be forced to pay massive amounts to Translink. Within, say, two years, InTransitBC will declare bankruptcy to avoid paying its obligations.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3783
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Looks like InTransitBC will be forced to pay massive amounts to Translink. Within, say, two years, InTransitBC will declare bankruptcy to avoid paying its obligations.
Wait... why is ProTransBC (known earlier as InTransitBC) paying?
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #3784
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
I don't think Protransit (Intransitbc or whatever they're called now) will have to pay - it just means that they will recover their costs through the farebox, so Translink will not have to pay a subsidy if ridership is above 100,000 per day.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3785
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

For those who don't frequent the Toronto forum, here are some pics I snapped of some SkyTrain cars in the GTA which I assume are en route to Vancouver.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1011841
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #3786
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
For those who don't frequent the Toronto forum, here are some pics I snapped of some SkyTrain cars in the GTA which I assume are en route to Vancouver.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1011841
Yes. Those would be for Vancouver. I'm sure those pictured are here by now.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3787
deasine
=)

Canada Line News:
Ridership recently recorded at a record 110 000 passengers per day. Put that in relation, initial expected ridership was 70 000 - 80 000 passengers per day.

In other news, the new SkyTrain vehicles have featured in Railway Interiors International 2009. I have my own bias, but I have to say, there are few metros in the world that have interiors of the same caliber as our new SkyTrain vehicles, heck probably not even our older MK II cars either. When our new Canada Line trains came, I was actually incredibly disappointed of the overall cookie-cutter design.

That being said, I do have a few criticisms for the newer generation cars. While acceleration and deceleration is much more quiet and smooth, the final stop arriving at the station is not smooth (in fact, much more rough than the older MK II and MK I vehicles). The addition of LED maps are nice, but there aren't any interior LED signs, which would help many. Besides, the LED map does not display SkyTrain connections at transfer stations, unlike the MTR map, and only flashes the next station right before approaching the platform. There's also a a/c heat issue with the newer ones, but I think that's fixed already. I hope it is at least.

Photograhy by Buzzer Blog

Here's the entire article available online:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...28#/7b47c228/1

More photos from the press conference, as Vehicle #348-#347, the last of the new MK II fleet, is now in service.

Photography from Buzzer Blog

A few photos of the interior:

I will post photos of the Brussels Streetcar for the inaugural Olympic Line ride live tomorrow.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM   #3788
deasine
=)

Canada Line News:
Ridership recently recorded at a record 110 000 passengers per day. Put that in relation, initial expected ridership was 70 000 - 80 000 passengers per day.

In other news, the new SkyTrain vehicles have featured in Railway Interiors International 2009. I have my own bias, but I have to say, there are few metros in the world that have interiors of the same caliber as our new SkyTrain vehicles, heck probably not even our older MK II cars either. When our new Canada Line trains came, I was actually incredibly disappointed of the overall cookie-cutter design.

That being said, I do have a few criticisms for the newer generation cars. While acceleration and deceleration is much more quiet and smooth, the final stop arriving at the station is not smooth (in fact, much more rough than the older MK II and MK I vehicles). The addition of LED maps are nice, but there aren't any interior LED signs, which would help many. Besides, the LED map does not display SkyTrain connections at transfer stations, unlike the MTR map, and only flashes the next station right before approaching the platform. There's also a a/c heat issue with the newer ones, but I think that's fixed already. I hope it is at least.

Photograhy by Buzzer Blog

Here's the entire article available online:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...28#/7b47c228/1

More photos from the press conference, as Vehicle #348-#347, the last of the new MK II fleet, is now in service.

A few photos of the interior:

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3789
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

For those of us Yankees coming up to the Olympics from the south (Specifically from Seattle on I-5), what is the best PNR to head to to catch the train into downtown? I figured that would be easier than trying to forde our way into DT to find parking. It would be cool to start at a stop on the brand new Canada Line, but I've never ridden Skytrain before, so really its all new to me.

edit: I should add I'm going to one of the hockey games at GM pla.... I mean... Canada Hockey Place
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3790
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
For those of us Yankees coming up to the Olympics from the south (Specifically from Seattle on I-5), what is the best PNR to head to to catch the train into downtown? I figured that would be easier than trying to forde our way into DT to find parking. It would be cool to start at a stop on the brand new Canada Line, but I've never ridden Skytrain before, so really its all new to me.

edit: I should add I'm going to one of the hockey games at GM pla.... I mean... Canada Hockey Place
I'm going to ask you to forward your question onto the SSC:Olympics forum. I know there hasn't been an announcement yet, but all the Olympics and Olympic related discussions will be in a centralized location at SSC: BC: 2010 Winter Olympics.

Here it is:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1048613

You can be the first member outside of Vancouver to know and post info
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3791
deasine
=)

Vancouver's demonstration streetcar form Olympic Village Station to Granville Island is up and running. Because it is operated by City of Vancouver and not part of the metro transit system, it is free! Last day of service is March 21st, where the streetcars will be returned. Some of you may recognize these streetcars, as they are from Brussles, courtesy of Bombardier and STIB. The streetcar was great! I liked it and certainly would prefer riding those on my commute than buses. But like everyone has said already, trams should be thought of for the purposes of shorter routes, connecting with the main haul system. Ride quality was smooth and quiet. Seats are leather, but really, I think our new SkyTrain seats are more comfortable. All in all, great ride, and I hope to see the system come to fruition.

Here's my full Flickr gallery, finally done and solved. Quick photos here:
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr

And here are a few new signs. Sadly, the information signs at Granville Island were installed incorrectly, and the arrows all point in the wrong direction. I'm not used to seeing French all over Vancouver now, but I certainly don't mind it.

image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr

And they've installed new signs to warn pedestrians about the streetcar, in addition to removing the old signs.
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr

And a bonus massive Bell advertisement.
image hosted on flickr

My photography on Flickr
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3792
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

That new tram looks fantastic. Do you have any more photos of the interior?

Very sexy.
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #3793
lightrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post

If you're heading in for the day, I'd recommend you park at South Surrey Park and Ride (just of Hwy 99 at King George. From there you can get the 351 Express (runs every 15 minutes) to Bridgeport Station on the Canada Line, or the 321 to King George Station on the Skytrain Line.

You could park at Bridgeport Station (Canada Line) or Scott Road Station (Expo Line), but both park and rides are likely to be busy or even full, plus if you go to Bridgeport, it means lining up to get through the Deas Island Tunnel or over the Fraser Bridge. The 351 bus has it's own bus lane and queue jumper to avoid the lineups.

The last 351 from Bridgeport Station on the Canada Line leaves at 1:40am arriving back at South Surrey at 2:10am. The last 321 to white Rock leaves Surrey Central Station (Expo Line) at 1:30am - they may run later buses to meet the later running of the Expo Line during the Olympic Games.

If you park at Bridgeport, there will be 24 hour transit service as the N10 provides service every 30 minutes when the Canada Line is not operating.

If you park at Scott Road Station, there will be 24 hour transit service as during the Olympics, the N19 will provide service all night at least every 30 minutes when the Canada Line is not operating.

For GM Place - get off the Expo Line at Stadium Station, and the Canada Line at Yaletown-Roundhouse.

The N10 night bus can be boarded southbound on Howe Street, and the N19 eastbound on Pender.

Last edited by lightrail; January 25th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3794
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
they've installed new signs to warn pedestrians about the streetcar, in addition to removing the old signs.
image hosted on flickr
Huh? do you mean the pole or the signage, coz the world knows that warning signs are backgrounded by orange -- or that neon, highlighter yellow that`s been about for ages already?

Had the operator any! pictogram in mind instead of its unilingual one, then it'd be a vast, overall improvement on its safety mandate.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3795
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Huh? do you mean the pole or the signage, coz the world knows that warning signs are backgrounded by orange -- or that neon, highlighter yellow that`s been about for ages already?

Had the operator any! pictogram in mind instead of its unilingual one, then it'd be a vast, overall improvement on its safety mandate.
It's quite obvious that, if you read the actual post, I was talking about the sign itself. As for why it isn't orange, again, if you read the contents, this sign is for pedestrians and not for drivers. Drivers actually have a digital sign board warning them about oncoming streetcars in addition to a standard X-ING sign that isn't shown in the photo. Regardless, there are actual CoV traffic coordinators working at this intersection for most of the day.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3796
deasine
=)

Buzzer Blog posted a hilarious comic that represents many of us, especially me, on transit... though I generally don't hold the doors.

Comic by Angela Melick on the Buzzer Blog
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3797
deasine
=)

Buzzer Blog posted a hilarious comic that represents many of us, especially me, on transit... though I generally don't hold the doors.

Comic by Angela Melick on the Buzzer Blog
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3798
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
That new tram looks fantastic. Do you have any more photos of the interior?

Very sexy.
Check threads about Brussels. For the info, this Bombardier tram has been designed by a top Belgian design company Axel Enthoven who is also specialized in transportation design, manufactured in Bruges in the Bombardier factory there. The seats look has been chosen by the public on public consultation, style reminds Art Nouveau, a specialty of Brussels and Victor Horta in the begining of last century. Enthoven made also the Bova bubble bus among others. You can check his work on www.eadc.be

But is seems amazing that this tram line is only temporary for the games... Isn't it? WHy not leave it?
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #3799
lightrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
Check threads about Brussels. For the info, this Bombardier tram has been designed by a top Belgian design company Axel Enthoven who is also specialized in transportation design, manufactured in Bruges in the Bombardier factory there. The seats look has been chosen by the public on public consultation, style reminds Art Nouveau, a specialty of Brussels and Victor Horta in the begining of last century. Enthoven made also the Bova bubble bus among others. You can check his work on www.eadc.be

But is seems amazing that this tram line is only temporary for the games... Isn't it? WHy not leave it?
Because the trams belong to Bruxelles and they want them back after the games. So far, our useless transit agency has no money or interest in buying any trams to run on the line. They seem more interested in fighting with the Provincial government than actually providing a decent transit system.

The tram line itself will be used. A museum society will be running heritage trams on the line during summer months.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #3800
deasine
=)

To be fair, TransLink isn't useless. It's just quite restricted in its powers as it is mostly controlled by the Provincial Gov't.

Yes, the streetcar is needed and wanted, but from a regional standpoint, there are far more other priorities. Like I've been saying, more money is needed to go towards infrastructure so that we can continue expanding all the necessary services in Vancouver.

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver