daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #3881
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You seem very eccentric.
Very kind of you, Nouvellecosse, I am flattered, although I think altogether it be more a case of here folks' finding themselves more encouraged to ply their persona/e in place of living their personality

Zaz965 liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3882
metrofreak

Likes (Received): 1989

congratulations Vancouver

New Service of the year
Canada Line

http://www.airrailawards.com/Winners.html

Zaz965 liked this post
metrofreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #3883
trainrover

Magically imaginative, the special effect of aeroplane blown aside...

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by trainrover; June 10th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #3884
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Faregate Installation News:

Vancouver's system of fare gates and Compass Smartcards will be installed by Cubic, which has designed many large systems including London and San Francisco.

Quote:
TransLink fare gate installation gets underway

Construction of the new SkyTrain turnstiles was kicked off by a crew of politicians at the Commercial-Broadway Station on Tuesday morning.

TransLink CEO Ian Jarvis said it will take about 18 months to install about 400 gates, including 150 accessible gates for wheelchairs and strollers, throughout the 49 stations in the system.

The total cost of the gates is estimated at $100 million. The province is paying about $40 million and the federal government is paying $30 million of the cost, with the rest of the cost coming out of TransLink's existing budget.

The gates are designed to work with TransLink's new smart-card system called the Compass card which will work throughout the entire regional transit system, including Coast Mountain buses, the SeaBus and the WestCoast Express.

The Compass smart-card system is expected to cost an additional $70 million.

TransLink estimates it loses more than $7 million a year through fare evasion, but one of the main reasons for installing the new system has been demands to make the system safer.

Currently, commuters can walk onto the platforms at stations without having to prove they have paid the fare, but transit police do conduct random checks for tickets.
(CBC 2011)

Similar story from the Vancouver Sun:

Quote:
Faregate construction at Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain station begins
By LAURA KANE, Vancouver Sun July 20, 2011

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Far...#ixzz1Sma2ok4d

METRO VANCOUVER - Construction officially began Tuesday to install faregates at the Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain station, the start of a $171-million project that will transform the transit experience throughout Metro Vancouver.

By 2013, there will be faregates at every station and travellers will swipe electronic fare cards to pass through them.

“Today marks a milestone in our vision of a better place to live in the province,” said TransLink CEO Ian Jarvis. “The new faregates will allow our customers to navigate our system more easily and feel more secure while doing so.”

Transportation Minister Blair Lekstrom, Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore and North Vancouver District Mayor Richard Walton joined Jarvis in kicking off construction at the station Tuesday morning.

The faregates, 1.3 metres tall with paddle-style turnstiles, will be installed at every station in the system over the next year and a half. That means a total of 400 gates, of which 150 will be wheelchair-accessible.

New electronic fare cards, called “Compass cards,” will allow riders to load up monthly passes, single fares or a prepaid balance that will be detected when they pass through the gates.

The cards will be used for Vancouver’s entire transit system, including the SeaBus and West Coast Express.

TransLink expects a boost in revenues of about $12.4 million from the new system, including an additional $7.1 million it figures it now loses annually due to fare evasion. It projects an additional $2.8 million from new ridership and $2.5 million as a result of improved planning, said spokesman Drew Snider.

TransLink expects the faregates will encourage more people to use transit because they will feel safer, Snider said.

Data will also be collected about travel patterns and volumes when riders swipe their Compass cards, allowing TransLink to make the system more efficient by tweaking schedules and service hours.

“Currently, we have different ways of counting passengers and it’s very labour-intensive,” Snider said. “The new system will be much more accurate and much more reliable.”

When SkyTrain was launched in 1986 to coincide with Expo celebrations, it was created on an “honour system,” said Moore.

“I think we’re seeing a creep of abuse,” he said. With the new faregates, “we’ll save money in terms of ridership and those trying to cheat the system.”

Of the $171-million cost of the switch to faregates and Compass cards, the province provided $40 million and the federal government contributed $30 million from the Building Canada Fund.

TransLink will fund the additional $100 million through sources including transit fares, gas taxes and property taxes.

Lekstrom said faregates have been a priority of TransLink and the government for “several years.”

“Obviously the issue is that we need more services to meet the growing demand of our incredible city here. I think TransLink is doing a good job of that.”

SkyTrain’s 25th anniversary this year has spurred a number of planned upgrades to the transit system, including replacing running rails and improving accessibility.

Customers can check www.translink.ca/ontrack for possible service disruptions.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Far...#ixzz1SmZugcwd
(Vancouver Sun 2011)

Last edited by deasine; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3885
p604

Likes (Received): 3

Check this out: http://www.straight.com/article-4645...per-mario-bros

Zaz965 liked this post
p604 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3886
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

The free ride is over I guess.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #3887
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

Vancouver! watch & listen to how it whips through the overhead intersection, 0'25"

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #3888
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Ahh.... Zurich... What a great city. I want to go back.

Zaz965 liked this post
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:09 AM   #3889
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

Here is a video of the Canada Line crossing the Fraser I made (filmed in late October 2011) There are also a couple shots of nearby road bridges at the end.

http://youtu.be/CLvK2YhZXCw

Zaz965 liked this post
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #3890
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro One View Post

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3891
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1731

evergreen line has started construction with full blown construction starting in two months - they call it pre-construction work now and the line opens in 2016

Zaz965 liked this post
spongeg está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #3892
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

wow, such a long construction schedule for not a very lengthy line. ....?

I personally think M-Line extension to UBC should have been a priority over this - especially since West Coast Express already serves that area - but I assume this was political.

Zaz965 liked this post
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3893
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

The UBC Millenium extension is still a priority and will be completed by 2020 as will the 4km south/east Expo extension.
The UBC extension is going to take considerably longer to build as most of it will be tunneled along the very busy Broadway corridor.

Zaz965 liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #3894
spongeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
wow, such a long construction schedule for not a very lengthy line. ....?

I personally think M-Line extension to UBC should have been a priority over this - especially since West Coast Express already serves that area - but I assume this was political.
the NE was promised the evergreen line in the 80's and they had to stick with that promise

i live in this area and i think its stupid that they just didn't start the UBC extension first, the 97 b line as unfun as it is was doing its job and could handle the needs of the area for a few more years well most of the decade but whatever at least its something

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3895
Plumber73
I need coffee.

By 2016, when the Evergreen Line is complete, the focus will no doubt turn towards the Millenium Line extension. Nothing has been officially decided yet as far as I know, but the pressure will be on to use the same type of technology (Skytrain?). I just can't see how there would be a rapid transit line to Douglas College, and only buses to UBC. Makes no sense. And like everyone says..., it'll have to be tunneled. They better save up now!

Zaz965 liked this post
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #3896
Plumber73
I need coffee.

In addition, the ridership for the Millenium Line extension would probably be at least double what the Evergreen Line could get.

Zaz965 liked this post
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3897
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

seems like they should have built the most expensive and densest line first.

Just imagine what the M-Line extension will hit: Midtown/Broadway CBD, UBC University City, Westside Vancouver City, Main Street/Kingsway, City Hall-Cambie hub. Those are major draws and would 'complete' Vancouver's metro network in the densest and most populated sector of the entire province that is not served by rapid transit and the #2 Central Business District, not to mention the nation's #2 biggest university iirc. SkyTrain metro ridership with M-Line extension would most likely rise well above 550,000 riders per day for the system, immediately.

Why doe E-Line take so long? I can understand M-Line taking long due to TBM'ing almost the entire way, but I don't get why E-Line has opening of 2016; I was thinking 2014 seems more reasonable.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3898
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

The problem is the M-Line extension is only in the study phase. The Evergreen Line had been studied to death since the 80's, so essentially everything lined up in its favour to be built first. Even if we were not building the Evergreen Line we would have to wait a couple more years to see any work commence on an M-Line extension.

Also the Evergreen Line had the political will and strong local support.

Sadly, the M-Line extension does not have this and there are indeed vast stretches of its proposed alignment filled with wealthy people who are planning to oppose it.

Also, the fiscal of the Canada Line construction along Cambie is still fresh in the areas memory, so it is best we let a few more years go by before they hear about a subway under Broadway being built (Even though this will be bored and not cut and cover, but the average citizen is not very transit savvy so they would still complain, worry and fight it.

So for all those reasons it is great to see Metro-Vancouver's 4th skytrain line commence.

And by the time the Evergreen Line is done, the M-Line should have all its consultation / design phases complete.

Go Evergreen Line Go!

Zaz965 liked this post
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3899
spongeg

yeah thats the idea, than the surrey extension will happen

I think surrey will get its own thing happenning though before that ever happens, they have plans to run their own street car line in to serve surrey

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3900
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

that makes sense. I just wish things were different because it sure would be nice to have the region's principle and densest/most populated city be well served with subways.

As for Surrey, I am not against them getting rail transit but I am against them getting it ahead of M-Line extension. I think SoF needs to show their weight by using transit starting in the bus form, first. This would 'establish' transit mindset and probably help densify corridors that could be developed into rapid or rail transit in the future. For them to just sit and complain about the emphasis being in Vancouver is ludicris because Vancouver does warrant high capacity rail whereas Surrey or any other city in SoF does not. Bus, however - I can agree with them getting a new bus network with Surrey Central serving as the main SoF hub.

I'd also like to see Commuter Rail expansion. I think SoF should have that as a priority, hub bus network, and build streetcar in Central Surrey (to create density); and they worry about rapid transit later. As to rapid transit, I think there should be a minimal extension to the Expo line to the south or SE, but I'd really like to see a light rail line go from West Richmond to Central to Surrey Central (then to Coquitlam?) and maybe another LRT serving the Fraser Highway like a Portland MAX arrangement.

Outside of SoF, I'd like to see some sort of transit in the Northshore - along with a more robust Commuter Rail and I'd like to see the city of Vancouver implement an extensive streetcar network (not just downtown). I also think a streetcar should be implemented in UBC University City.

My vision for Vancouver's Transit Network is
1) SkyTrain (4+ complete lines) serving as the backbone with metro rapid transit capacity and frequent service [Expo Line serving near 24 hours on Th, Fri, Sat],
2) West Coast Express providing Chicago Metra style high capacity, lower but all day service to the existing corridor, strengthening the Northshore corridor (make it robust with Ferry to West Van to Lonsdale to ??), a new SoF SE corridor to Abbotsford, and a new corridor to the south (and Tsawassen ferry),
3) SoF Light Rail corridors
4) Cities implementing streetcar and bus hub networks and Express/Commuter routes to downtown Vancouver where SkyTrain or WCE isn't available
5) SkyRide to SFU

Ah, to dream

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver