daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #3921
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Who's idea was it to waste money on those "T" signs.............they look really stupid.

Zaz965 liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3922
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

The refurbishing of many transit stations for faregates and smart cards should have been an opportunity to install public washrooms. That opportunity wasn't taken.

Other Canadian transit systems such as Edmonton and Toronto do have washrooms at major stations, but Vancouver and BC have always resisted this. The idea seems to be that it's best to move people as if they were freight, with no allowance for elementary creature comforts or even basic necessities.

Zaz965 liked this post
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3923
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
I would question spending 2 Billion on a tunnel to a University too. Especially if the money can be better spent elsewhere.
So would I. But Vancouver City Hall is now saying that is their minimum demand, an U/G line all the way to UBC. Yet throughout the rest of the region an elevated guideway is the standard, so why not here too?

I can understand putting an extension of the Millenium line underground from VCC-Clark west to say Burrard Street in the business district. But once west of there, why not save money by using elevated guideways as in East Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey?

If Vancouver City Hall insists it must be U/G the entire way, perhaps Vancouver ratepayers should cover the additional costs themselves rather than having the BC Govt or all of Metro through Translink picking up those extra capital costs.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3924
ssiguy2

Vancouver is the most socially stratified city in the country. Metro has 3 transit lines, one in the Westside and the other 2 in the eastside. The ones on the eastside are elevated and the one on the tony Westside is tunneled............not cooincidence.

BTW......are all the stations on the Expo Line being lengthened to 100 meters for 3 MK111 cars?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3925
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Vancouver is the most socially stratified city in the country. Metro has 3 transit lines, one in the Westside and the other 2 in the eastside. The ones on the eastside are elevated and the one on the tony Westside is tunneled............not cooincidence.

That seems to be the picture, alright. And Vancouver City Hall is ready to roll this out as a serious public policy, not just a kind of political wish list.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3926
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelser View Post
So would I. But Vancouver City Hall is now saying that is their minimum demand, an U/G line all the way to UBC. Yet throughout the rest of the region an elevated guideway is the standard, so why not here too?

I can understand putting an extension of the Millenium line underground from VCC-Clark west to say Burrard Street in the business district. But once west of there, why not save money by using elevated guideways as in East Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey?

If Vancouver City Hall insists it must be U/G the entire way, perhaps Vancouver ratepayers should cover the additional costs themselves rather than having the BC Govt or all of Metro through Translink picking up those extra capital costs.
Broadway narrows after Macdonald, so it there is an elevated guideway, there needs to be land expropriation. Given real estate prices in the area, there potentially wouldn't be significant savings. That being said, along 10th Avenue from Blanca to UBC, having an elevated is entirely possible.

Quote:
BTW......are all the stations on the Expo Line being lengthened to 100 meters for 3 MK111 cars?
No.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #3927
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

Anybody else spy the world's most laughable fencing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Nothing's wrong with the fencing... it's just him that's the problem. I'm warning you right now trainrover should this immature, unnecessary, and unwanted behavior continue, I will make sure there are consequences.

Just to let everyone know, there is going to be a "swoosh" design placed on top of the fencing. At the moment, it's blue, yellow, and red but that could change since the new Canada Line livery is just blue and green.

Say♪just how long did it take to modify the top edge of that fencing over there to an inward curl? coz the following recent example hailing from PRC ultimately signifies what I bore in mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

n20, Zaz965 liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3928
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
Where the heck are you going to put an elevated guideway going from VCC to UBC? Perhaps for a few hundred meters at the start, and maybe along University Boulevard, but that's it. If you have a look at where the existing elevated tracks run, you should see they make use of old rail routes, industrial land, and highways with enough space on the sides. Most of Vancouver Proper doesn't have this, or have it in the right places. You'd have to re-engineer a big swath through Vancouver to accomidate an elevated guideway. And yes, that would upset a lot of people. Like, A LOT.

Zaz965 liked this post
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3929
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Broadway narrows after Macdonald, so it there is an elevated guideway, there needs to be land expropriation. Given real estate prices in the area, there potentially wouldn't be significant savings. That being said, along 10th Avenue from Blanca to UBC, having an elevated is entirely possible.
I don't see why an elevated line couldn't be placed in the laneway on either side of Broadway. That's already public property.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3930
ssiguy2

My point was that it wouldn't matter if Vancouver had a lots of open space along Broadway to get to UBC, it would never get done. Vancouver is, by far, the most socially and economically stratified city in the country and there is no way in hell City Hall would allow anything elevated thru the tony and politically powerful Westside.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3931
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
My point was that it wouldn't matter if Vancouver had a lots of open space along Broadway to get to UBC, it would never get done. Vancouver is, by far, the most socially and economically stratified city in the country and there is no way in hell City Hall would allow anything elevated thru the tony and politically powerful Westside.
If the west side looked exactly like Burnaby, it would be elevated. This is all moot though.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3932
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
I don't see why an elevated line couldn't be placed in the laneway on either side of Broadway. That's already public property.
Constructing big concrete pillars where cars etc. need access kinda defeats the purpose of the laneway.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3933
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

image hosted on flickr

Promise made, promise kept: Evergreen Line construction on track by BC Gov Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Promise made, promise kept: Evergreen Line construction on track by BC Gov Photos, on Flickr

Vancouver Sun
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Eve...813/story.html

Quote:
New Evergreen SkyTrain station names announced
By Tiffany Crawford, Vancouver Sun March 23, 2013

North Road has been widened in preparation for the Evergreen Line. Apartment buildings along North Road on the Coquitlam side will be affected by the construction.
Photograph by: Ward Perrin , Vancouver Sun

The provincial and federal governments have announced the station names for the new $1.4 billion Evergreen SkyTrain line that will provide several more Metro Vancouver municipalities with rapid transit to Vancouver.

They are: Lougheed Town Centre; Burquitlam; Moody Centre; Inlet Centre; Coquitlam Central; Lincoln; and Lafarge Lake-Douglas.

The Evergreen Line will link neighbourhoods in Burnaby, Port Moody and Coquitlam and be fully integrated into the existing system, connecting to the Millennium Line at Lougheed Station, the provincial government said, in a news release Saturday.

TransLink's chief executive officer Ian Jarvis said the names were chosen in consultation with the municipalities and Douglas College and reflect "the historical and future significance of the local neighbourhoods being served."

James Moore, the federal minister responsible for B.C., was at the line's construction launch in Coquitlam Saturday. He said the project will create jobs and improve public transit.

"Once complete, the Evergreen Line will provide an essential transit link for Metro Vancouver residents, ease traffic congestion and improve the quality of life for residents of the Tri-Cities and the Lower Mainland," he said.

Construction is underway in the north tunnel portal area in Port Moody and the line and is expected to be operational by summer 2016.

Funding for the Evergreen Line is provided by the federal and provincial governments and TransLink.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

n20, Zaz965 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3934
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Laneways barely accommodate two wide road vehicles, but you expect them to be able to accommodate a double track guideway, while at the same time still being functional at ground level?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Zaz965 liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #3935
ssiguy2

Although I support the idea of the Evergreen, I don't agree with it's terminus point.

I think that after Lougheed Mall it should continue further east along the rail corridor to PoCo. I know the logic of wanting to serve Douglas College but due to it's northern trajectory it can never really be expanded. It could eventually be extended to Ottawa Street and then over to PM/MR which are amongst the fastest growing suburban areas in the Metro area.

Northern Coquitlam is all SFH while downtown PoCo has a lot of low-rise apts/condos and medium density SFH in the older district. The area is better suited for TOD then just sticking a bunch of disconnected highrises along the route.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3936
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

They can always add a branch to PoCo

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Zaz965 liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:25 AM   #3937
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

There are future plans to create a second terminus for thr evergreen line in poco

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Zaz965 liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3938
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Happened to come across this video, so I thought I'd share.. Its on the Expo Line construction from the 80's..

While I'm posting here, any updates on the Evergreen Line..?

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:

Zaz965 liked this post
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3939
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Evergreen Line

Burquitlam station construction

Source: http://burquitlamstation.blogspot.ca...struction.html

Zaz965 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3940
AverageJoe

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
While I'm posting here, any updates on the Evergreen Line..?
There are frequent updates to Evergreen Line construction on the Evergreen Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/evergreenline?fref=ts

Zaz965 liked this post
AverageJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver