daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:20 AM   #541
rt_0891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Hong Kong, Vancouver
Posts: 2,683
Likes (Received): 30

Burrard Bridge with Cars...



Burrard Bridge with Bikes...







Burrard Bridge with Cars, Bikes and Pedestrians (current configuration) that's squishy ...



-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council votes to turn two of six lanes on Burrard Bridge into dedicated bike lanes


Doug Ward
Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Vancouver city council voted Tuesday to turn two of six lanes on the Burrard Bridge into dedicated bike lanes -- a one-year experiment set to begin next April.

"This is the happiest day of my time on city council," said COPE councillor Fred Bass, who proposed the motion authorizing the plan, which received overwhelming support, with only NPA councillor Sam Sullivan opposed.

"I became a city councillor because of global warming," Bass said after the vote. "And it seems to me that what we have here is a very feasible way of testing out whether we can mobilize people to walk and cycle and for people to leave their cars behind."

The city tried a similar bike-lane experiment in 1996, closing one lane to cars and opening it to cyclists. The trial was meant to be extended over a period of months but was called off after one week because of motorist outrage and escalating hostility between drivers and cyclists.

The new bike-lane resolution went against a staff report that warned last month that the closure of two curb lanes would increase traffic congestion and slow transit and the movement of goods.

City staff instead recommended spending $13 million to widen the sidewalk on both sides of the Burrard Bridge as the best option for improving downtown access for cyclists and pedestrians.

The curb lane closure experiment was criticized by Charles Gauthier, executive-director of the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association, who predicted increased congestion. "This council decision doesn't make a lot of sense to us, especially since city staff had made dire predictions about what would happen with lane closures."

Gauthier said the one-year trial will only confirm what the city learned during the 1996 experiment -- that the lane closures would generate congestion and increase transit times.

Cycling advocates were delighted by the council decision. "I'm thrilled," said Bonnie Fenton of the Vancouver Cycling Coalition.

"It's a victory for everybody, but it's going to take a little bit of patience and faith to see that this is an experiment that can work."

Fenton said there will be delays and some motorist anger during the trial's initial phase, "but as has been shown elsewhere, those delays get reduced over time as people develop new routes and new habits."

Bass said he's optimistic that the experiment will work this time because the lane closure will be accompanied by an intensive program promoting cycling and walking across Burrard Bridge and alerting motorists to alternative routes, such as the Granville Bridge.

Council also asked staff to proceed with the design review of the sidewalk-widening proposal.

The bike lane experiment will be assessed by staff at six-month and one-year intervals. If there is a consensus on council to abandon the bike lanes, staff will proceed with the widening of the sidewalks.

Council also instructed staff to examine transit changes and HOV lanes to help reduce the number of single-occupant vehicles crossing Burrard Bridge into the downtown.

About whether he is ready to deal with irate drivers, Bass said: "Motorists called for my head long ago and my head is still on my neck."

[email protected]

CROWDED CROSSING:

Each hour during peak times, 8,000 to 9,000 people cross the Burrard Bridge.

Lone drivers 49%

Car poolers 21%

Transit riders 21%

Cyclists 5%

Walkers 4%

Source: City of Vancouver, Vancouver Sun
© The Vancouver Sun 2005

Last edited by rt_0891; July 21st, 2005 at 01:35 AM.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:20 AM   #542
Plumber73
I need coffee.
 
Plumber73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,442
Likes (Received): 57

What is this talk about congestion? For all three bridges (Burrard, Granville, and Cambie) cars scream across no problem. Bike lanes taking over part of Burrard is not going to make things that bad or harm the economy

Part of the reason there are so few cyclists is because it's too dangerous mixing it up with cars. Talk to any person who cycles to work and they'll tell you stories I'm sure.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:46 AM   #543
rt_0891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Hong Kong, Vancouver
Posts: 2,683
Likes (Received): 30

TransLink makes natural gas commitment

Last updated Jul 20 2005 01:30 PM PDT
CBC News

The TransLink board has decided to spend more than $60 million on natural gas buses – instead of diesel – to replace its fleet of aging diesel models.

A staff report had recommended that the transit authority buy 107 diesel buses, saying they would be cheaper to buy and maintain – which would mean more new buses on the road.

But Vancouver Mayor Larry Campbell told the board that buying diesel again would mean a 20-year commitment to greater pollution in Greater Vancouver.

And he challenged board members to back up their support for the environment with action. "I don't know how directors can say they're committed to the environment and sustainability and then buy diesel buses."

Campbell is happy with the board's decision. But he's still critical of the plan to buy new diesel buses instead of natural gas.

"This is a proven technology, it's clean, it will make the air better here, it's not going to be any more expensive and let's get on with life."

There's no word yet on how many new buses will be purchased. They'll hit the road by September 2007.

The transit authority plans to buy a total of 1,000 new buses in the next 10 years.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:27 AM   #544
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Buying 1,000 buses in the next ten years? wow.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:51 AM   #545
ssiguy2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 5,404
Likes (Received): 858

Buying a 1000 new buses is great but will it increase the fleet or just replace the ones they have?? Any of those articulates?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM   #546
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
Buying a 1000 new buses is great but will it increase the fleet or just replace the ones they have?? Any of those articulates?
It'll increase the fleet by 33%.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM   #547
en
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 144
Likes (Received): 1

SkyTrain hires mystery shoppers to check service
Hired spies to report on travel experience and treatment by employees

Frank Luba
The Province

July 20, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT



What SkyTrain boss Doug Kelsey sees as a way to improve service is being called spying by one of the transit unions.

Kelsey plans to send mystery shoppers out to see how employees treat customers and what the customers experience while using the service.

He's used the research system, which employs an independent company, on West Coast Express and in his prior corporate experience at Shell and Starbucks.

"This is common in the service industry," said Kelsey, adding that the practice is common in the hotel and airline industry, and employed by Canadian Tire -- and even AirCare.

"It's how to manage if you are taking care of the business you said you're taking care of," he said.

That business ranges from cleaning stations and SkyTrain cars to making announcements and answering questions.

Gerry Cunningham, president of Local 7000 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, said SkyTrain attendants and maintenance staff should be concerned about the technique.

"I think people better be aware," said Cunningham, who represents about 520 employees. "The SkyTrain attendants should keep their heads up. From my perspective, they are being spied upon."

Kelsey disagrees.

"Is it always about people? No," he said. "It's about the experience from the customers' lens.

"One of the big issues we get is visibility. Are our people out and about?"

Cunningham said that issue could be addressed by hiring more staff.

Usually there are just 40 SkyTrain attendants working at any one time, with two going up and down each line checking fares. That leaves 36 attendants for 33 stations.

"It'll be awful hard for our members to walk around with a smiley face on their face for 10 hours," said Cunningham.

Kelsey estimates the mystery shopper research will cost $60,000 to $100,000 a year.

[email protected]
en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:57 AM   #548
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

There should be 80 attendants and officers working at one time.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM   #549
rt_0891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Hong Kong, Vancouver
Posts: 2,683
Likes (Received): 30

That Mystery Shopper job would be a great part-time.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:18 PM   #550
officedweller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,379
Likes (Received): 98

Translink also approved double tracking the RAV Line between Bridgeport Station and Cambie Station in Richmond.
__________________
officedweller
officedweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM   #551
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod
 
queetz@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ortigas (Pasig City)
Posts: 3,679
Likes (Received): 3027

^ Great....more additional costs. I wonder how many more concessions Translink will end up approving through the course of the RAV Line. I can see it now....

1) 2011, we need more millions from the Capital Projects fund to pay SNC Lavalin for the ridership shortfall for the year
2) 2012, we need more millions from the Capital Projects fund to pay SNC Lavalin for the ridership shortfall for the year
.
.
.
35) 2045, SNC Lavalin contract expires, finally money freed up to build the Broadway Line and replace those 38 year old buses and trolley buses we received 2007...
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM   #552
Plumber73
I need coffee.
 
Plumber73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,442
Likes (Received): 57

^ Cheer up mate!
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:47 AM   #553
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

^ well, pessimistic is his name.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:57 AM   #554
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod
 
queetz@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ortigas (Pasig City)
Posts: 3,679
Likes (Received): 3027

Well, better a pessimist that an oppressive self centered 12 year old creme de la creme who thinks people who will never use the RAV Line in their lives and yet desperately need rapid transit improvements that they can never get because of RAV should still pay for his toy train. I suppose he does not care much for the rest of Translink projects since he is getting his little toy that he can play with at the expense of his poorer neighbors. And his attitudes towards those less fortunate than him is clearly shown at his making fun of those impoverish folks clinging on trains in India...
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM   #555
sukh
Khalistan!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 1

^ Yeah well get used to it, because its getting built wheather you like it or not. You can just sit there on your pansy LRT transit in Portland, because you are just in the minority, in a city you have to look at the majority, but also whats right, and like i said before i agree with you on the tunneling aspect, but other than that, everything else is fine.
sukh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #556
sukh
Khalistan!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 1

Double post.
sukh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM   #557
Guerrero
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 0

I haven't lived in the Lower Mainland for quite some time but I grew up in Tsawwassen. The worst part about going to Vancouver as a kid was taking the bus into Vancouver, it took forever.

The RAV line is going to make that Journey a thousand times better with the transfer at Bridgeport Station. It is going to increase transit ridership from Tsawwassen and Ladner by quite a lot I would expect, though only if there is an increase in amount of the busses to take people there.
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM   #558
npinguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 164
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Why thank you sukh! Yes, npinguy is an idiot. He has no back up and thinks whatever he says is the truth.
Wait wait wait.

YOU are the one who has so far named TWO industrial parks and have whined about how they have no bus access. While I'M the one who has described in detail how they actually DO, and provided the proof to back it up.

and I'M the one that has no backup and thinks what I say is the truth?

Wow man. You're more full of shit than I ever imagined. It's getting embarassing.

Quote:
I kinda suspect he is one of those typical Vancouver trolls, possibly even benji45 himself, who thinks Vancouver is so perfect (and he admits it too) that it is immuned to legitimate criticism.
Once again.........Here is a thread about Vancouver public transit and every vancouverite on the forum supports it and gathers that the public opinion is largely supportive of it as well.

Meanwhile YOU are a guy who doesn't even live in Vancouver, on whom this has absolutely no impact whatsoever. Yet you come in here, and bash the system, and all vancouverites. You bash it with criticisms that you do not back up. And you even lie, and distort, and get facts completely wrong.

And yet I'M the troll. WOW......


As for legitimate criticisms -
So far you've made only 1 or 2 legitimate criticisms, and if you look carefully you'll see I responded to them.

Quote:
I admit, my achilles heal is not being in Vancouver today but given that I was there during this whole RAV fiasco and still follow the news simply because of my interest in urban transit (and what not to do), I assure you I do know what I'm talking about and continue to backup my claims.
Right, like that commerce parkway and inex pharmaceuticals have no bus access, and all the other claims of yours that i have thorougly destroyed.

Quote:
One thing I would like to point out though is when discussing urban planning, I believe the one being referred to is the GVRD, not just the city of Vancouver.
I'm not going to diss the GVRD because I love it but you are incorrect. Primarily when developers from other cities look to Vancouver, they look to predominantly Vancouver, especially the construction around false creek.

Quote:
But when it comes to new urbanism and rail transit planning, a lot do come to Portland. I've heard or must have seen somewhere that even Translink went to Portland to look at how our MAX LRT works and lessons they can learn with regards to their Northeast Line.
Rail planning - yes. Portland's LRT is nice, and it would fit well for the Northeast line. But new ubranism? In your dreams. How'bout backing that fact up.

You can find information anywhere of Dubai, San Diego, Toronto, and many others looking to Vancouver for inspiration for projects. Find me something about anybody coming to portland to learn about new urbanism.




IN CONCLUSION, I absolutely adore people like you Wally. You are SO completely and utterly full of crap that it's incredibly easy to make you look like a fool. Here's how it works:

You (or anyone like you): "X sucks because of blah blah blah and Y"
Me (or anyone like me): "Well actually you are completely full of shit because you got it completely wrong about Y. You are wrong and here's why blah blah."
You: "<pause> You are biased, and X sucks because of blah blah blah and Y"

You completely ignore any efforst made to counteract your points, and simply repeat them over and over mindlessly. I love that.


Quote:
Because some people here are so damn defensive that they would bash successful transit systems elsewhere in a futile attempt to validate their twisted illogical mindsets that Vancouver's transit system is "perfect", even though it clearly is not.
Actually, in case you've forgotten (and I know you haven't, but i digress), it's you and others that have STARTED to bash the vancouver transit system, and brought up the C-train to show how it SHOULD'VE been done instead.

So instead we point out how the C-train just wouldn't work for Vancouver (and i gave valid reasons? remember them? of course you do.) But because you guys just do not get it, we have to resort to going down to your level and go with mindless bashing like so:

"The C-Train blows. End of story."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well, better a pessimist that an oppressive self centered 12 year old creme de la creme who thinks people who will never use the RAV Line in their lives and yet desperately need rapid transit improvements that they can never get because of RAV should still pay for his toy train. I suppose he does not care much for the rest of Translink projects since he is getting his little toy that he can play with at the expense of his poorer neighbors. And his attitudes towards those less fortunate than him is clearly shown at his making fun of those impoverish folks clinging on trains in India...
jesus christ give it up already. I have already established you're full of shit. Stop the bitching. You're only making yourself look worse.

BY THE WAY. You're gonna love this. I just started a new job this monday. It's at an industrial park in Burnaby - around Gilmore and Canada way. I take the millenium line every day.

Guess what. In the morning? Packed. In the afternoon? Packed. Packed to the brims.

Maybe the overall total ridership is still low because it's not as packed in the off-peak hours, but just the peak hour ridership alone justifies it's existence in my opinion. And I know my fellow riders agree with me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x
It seems like you've contradicted yourself a hundred times in this post.
mr. x i agree with you on many things but don't do that. if you're gonna call somebody out, you gotta give reasons for it. You gotta POINT OUT how they contradict themselves if you want to do that. Otherwise you hurt our side.
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:46 PM   #559
crazyjoeda
Mac User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
It is going to increase transit ridership from Tsawwassen and Ladner by quite a lot I would expect, though only if there is an increase in amount of the busses to take people there.
It will double the frequency of all express buses because bridge port is about half the travel time of downtown (depending on which express bus route), all the buses will then turn around thus vastly increasy the freqency (I would expect an average of 50% more service on Express bus routes).

RAV will save express bus riders a huge amount of time. Currently the worst congestion that faces the express buses starts befor the Oak Street Bridge and ends at Downtown, there is really bad congestion at the Tunnel but buses avoid this with the HOV lanes. Once RAV is inplace Express bus riders will avoid all major traffic congestion.

The buses will get off well befor the Oak Steet bridge, and the riders will then ride RAV from Bridge Port to downtown in less than 20min riding under all the traffic.

This will save the 55,000 people who use the express buses every week day about 25min during both the morning and afternoon rush hour, which account for 70% of the week day ridership.
__________________
Vancouver, site of the next Winter Olympic Games in 2010!
British Columbia, Canada. "The best place on earth."
crazyjoeda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:29 PM   #560
Guerrero
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 96
Likes (Received): 0

^ That sounds truly awesome. I don't think that people can truly understand how vastly the RAV is going to change the nature of travel in Vancouver yet. It is only 4 years away and people seem to think that it is the distant future.

Also the airport branch is going to be to add a lot of day visitors to downtown. I often travel and if I am doing a layover somewhere and there is a train to the downtown core I will usually take it even if it is just for a few hours. If there is only bus service I won't usually risk it.
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium