daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM   #561
EdZed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 196
Likes (Received): 0

Is the airport line going to terminate inside the terminal or somewhere else?
__________________
Calgary Skyscrapers (12+ Floors)
214 Completed (2+ New)
19 U/C (1+ New)
10 Approved (1+ New)
17 Proposed
EdZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:19 PM   #562
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdZed
Is the airport line going to terminate inside the terminal or somewhere else?
It's gonna terminate outside the terminal and a new building will be constructed at the terminal and it'll have a connection to the station:


__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:23 PM   #563
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well, better a pessimist that an oppressive self centered 12 year old creme de la creme who thinks people who will never use the RAV Line in their lives and yet desperately need rapid transit improvements that they can never get because of RAV should still pay for his toy train. I suppose he does not care much for the rest of Translink projects since he is getting his little toy that he can play with at the expense of his poorer neighbors. And his attitudes towards those less fortunate than him is clearly shown at his making fun of those impoverish folks clinging on trains in India...
Your paranoia, idiocy and lunacy is hillarious.......saying this over and over again doesn't make it true you know.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM   #564
crazyjoeda
Mac User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 6

Guerrero brings up a good point, Vancouver gets alot of flights in from asia any many of the passengers have to transfer flights but they often have to wait 6-8 hours in, YVR is great but you cant kill 6 or 8 hours there. Downtown being just 20min subway ride away with no transfers is dead easy for tourists.
__________________
Vancouver, site of the next Winter Olympic Games in 2010!
British Columbia, Canada. "The best place on earth."
crazyjoeda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:08 AM   #565
rt_0891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Hong Kong, Vancouver
Posts: 2,683
Likes (Received): 30

'Blasts' are TV fakes, warns SkyTrain

Broadcast News

Friday, July 22, 2005

VANCOUVER -- Passengers riding Vancouver's rapid transit system Friday night may get a bit of a fright when they hear a big "boom" that sounds like an explosion.

But SkyTrain officials say not to worry: it's just the film crew from the hit television show Smallville, using special effects that sound like explosions.


The series, which follows comic-book superhero Superman as a youngster, will be shooting in Burnaby between 10 p.m. and midnight Friday.

Officials say the boom will likely be heard between the Edmonds and Royal Oak stations.

SkyTrain says the filming poses no risk to travellers, but given the recent terrorist attacks in London, the company felt it was prudent to warn its customers.

© The Canadian Press 2005
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:46 AM   #566
ailiton
Toffy
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 404
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
I haven't lived in the Lower Mainland for quite some time but I grew up in Tsawwassen. The worst part about going to Vancouver as a kid was taking the bus into Vancouver, it took forever.

The RAV line is going to make that Journey a thousand times better with the transfer at Bridgeport Station. It is going to increase transit ridership from Tsawwassen and Ladner by quite a lot I would expect, though only if there is an increase in amount of the busses to take people there.
I disagree. During rush hour, it takes about 50 minutes to go from Ladner to Burrard station (35-40 mins in non-peak hours). RAV will actually increase the commute time to downtown outside rush hours.

Will South Delta's ridership increase? No. We pay $4.5 per trip to get to downtown and we wouldn't want to get off the coach at Bridgeport and then transfer onto a skytrain where we can't sleep and have to stand.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:12 AM   #567
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod
 
queetz@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ortigas (Pasig City)
Posts: 3,656
Likes (Received): 3009

You are the one that is full of shit, npinguy! Let me explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Wait wait wait.

YOU are the one who has so far named TWO industrial parks and have whined about how they have no bus access. While I'M the one who has described in detail how they actually DO, and provided the proof to back it up.
Well, this is the post that is supposed to be your back-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
COMMERCE PARKWAY? YOU ******* MORON!! I WORKED at Commerce Parkway for 13 months (At MDA). I lived in Kitsilano. I took the 98B-line to Aberdeen, then the 410 to a bus stop right in front of my company building. It took me about an hour.

I don't know about the other industrial parks, but given what you know about Commerce Parkway, it seems like you don't know what you're talking about any of them. I'm gonna assume that they all have bus service. And you are just full of shit.
Not much real facts over there, unless you honestly expect us to assume you are correct from one example that can't even be verified. Care to explain to us how people in Glenlyon or the Xantrex complex in Burnaby Mountain (a third office park that I mention) have easy bus access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
"Once again.........Here is a thread about Vancouver public transit and every vancouverite on the forum supports it and gathers that the public opinion is largely supportive of it as well."
Well of course they are going to support it. They ain't the one that live in the outlying suburbs and yet still have to pay for this damn thing, especially the 12 year old creme de la creme.


Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
As for legitimate criticisms -
So far you've made only 1 or 2 legitimate criticisms, and if you look carefully you'll see I responded to them.
Another lie. What about the post that I just made about the never ending subsidy Translink have to make to SNC Lavalin if the ridership forecast does not hit its overly optomistic target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Right, like that commerce parkway and inex pharmaceuticals have no bus access, and all the other claims of yours that i have thorougly destroyed.
Which claims may that be? Or do you think by simply replying to my concerns without any solid backup that you think you are automatically correct? And I have yet to hear you prove that Inex Pharmeceuticals have bus access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
"I'm not going to diss the GVRD because I love it but you are incorrect. Primarily when developers from other cities look to Vancouver, they look to predominantly Vancouver, especially the construction around false creek."
Oh yeah....the city of Vancouver is limited to false creek. And I've heard somewhere that Larry Campbell dissed Doug McCallum because Surrey does not even bother following the GVRD LRSP so it looks like even the mayors themselves diss the GVRD in one form or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Rail planning - yes. Portland's LRT is nice, and it would fit well for the Northeast line. But new ubranism? In your dreams. How'bout backing that fact up.
http://www.urbanresidue.com/urban_planning/portland/

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
You can find information anywhere of Dubai, San Diego, Toronto, and many others looking to Vancouver for inspiration for projects. Find me something about anybody coming to portland to learn about new urbanism.
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...6/daily65.html

http://www.upa.pdx.edu/pdf/chinaplanners.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
jesus christ give it up already. I have already established you're full of shit. Stop the bitching. You're only making yourself look worse.
LOL! More like the other way around. You must be smoking some serious stuff to think that way. Whatever your smoking, I want some!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Maybe the overall total ridership is still low because it's not as packed in the off-peak hours, but just the peak hour ridership alone justifies it's existence in my opinion. And I know my fellow riders agree with me.
Again, full of shit. Do you have documentation that your fellow riders agree with you?

Or did you just assume that and expect everyione else to believe you. And you must be a big fan of Glen Clark. It is he who forced the Millenium Line to be Skytrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
BY THE WAY. You're gonna love this. I just started a new job this monday. It's at an industrial park in Burnaby - around Gilmore and Canada way. I take the millenium line every day.
Let me guess...Pacific Blue Cross? BCAA? Telus? I know for a fact that you are lying. I did some consulting work for Xenon and took the Millenium Line myself connecting to the number 25 bus to get off by the Creo building and Electronic Arts CANADIAN Regional HQ (not the corporate HQ that some silly Vancouver forumers would claim). It was never full and this was during school days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
mr. x i agree with you on many things but don't do that. if you're gonna call somebody out, you gotta give reasons for it. You gotta POINT OUT how they contradict themselves if you want to do that. Otherwise you hurt our side.
What can you expect from a 12 year old creme de la creme who knows nothing what he talked about and simply takes other people's opinion and claim it is his own. If your ally is this punk kid, its no wonder you are considered an idiot even by other Vancouver forumers like sukh. :
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM   #568
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Wally, I know one moderator here that's watching you like a hawk and wants to ban you so I suggest that you shut up with all those insults and all and keep everything to yourself from now on.

Give him more reasons and he'll ban you for sure. The only troll here is you.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:43 AM   #569
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod
 
queetz@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ortigas (Pasig City)
Posts: 3,656
Likes (Received): 3009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x
Wally, I know one moderator here that's watching you like a hawk and wants to ban you so I suggest that you shut up with all those insults and all and keep everything to yourself from now on.

Give him more reasons and he'll ban you for sure. The only troll here is you.
Well, if I'm gonna be banned, you, npninguy, and the alter egos of Benji45 should be banned too as you all are equally guilty of "trolling". You know the saying...let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:17 AM   #570
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 37,372
Likes (Received): 3688

mr.x, you are not an innocent bystander yourself so consider this your official warning. All of you should start behaving or there will be consequences.
__________________
You have the right to remain silent, everything you say will be misquoted and used against you in the forum

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:52 PM   #571
npinguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 164
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You are the one that is full of shit, npinguy! Let me explain.
this'll be good. I'm all ears.


Quote:
Well, this is the post that is supposed to be your back-up.



Not much real facts over there, unless you honestly expect us to assume you are correct from one example that can't even be verified. Care to explain to us how people in Glenlyon or the Xantrex complex in Burnaby Mountain (a third office park that I mention) have easy bus access?
WOW.........you can't possibly be doing this not on purpose. no way is anybody this slow. Allow me to refresh your memory.


You mentioned ~5 or 6 tech parks. You said unequivocally that none of them have bus access. I saw one at which I worked and remembered QUITE clearly that it has excellent bus access (since i took this bus twice a day for 13 months).
I pointed this out to you.
What did you do?
You mentioned a SECOND tech park that you claim has no bus access. Yet quite simply by using google, google maps, and the translink website I have established that quite clearly they DO have bus access.

Now you mention a third. Do I even need to bother? Even if you do eventually succeed in finding one high tech park that doesn't have bus access you wouldn't have proven anything.


Quote:
Well of course they are going to support it. They ain't the one that live in the outlying suburbs and yet still have to pay for this damn thing, especially the 12 year old creme de la creme.
So basically your whole problem is that people in Coquitlam will have to pay for the RAV line even tho that doesn't help them.

First of all that's bullshit. It's not like Translink comes to the door and says "give us money. We will use this money for the RAV system and it won't benefit you at all but you still have to give us money."

The CITIES give a certain amount to Translink for services, and Translink responds in kind by giving them services. But Translink has to decide which services have priority for the lower mainland. right now the big one (esp because of the olympics) is the RAV line. But there's also the Coquitlam LRT, bridge expansions, new bus routes, more buses, etc, etc.


Second of all, a large number of "outlying suburbs" will directly benefit from the RAV line. Obviously Richmond. But also Tswassen, Delta, etc.


Quote:
As for legitimate criticisms -
So far you've made only 1 or 2 legitimate criticisms, and if you look carefully you'll see I responded to them.

Another lie. What about the post that I just made about the never ending subsidy Translink have to make to SNC Lavalin if the ridership forecast does not hit its overly optomistic target?
Whoops. i sincerely apologize for that. With the amount of bullcrap you spew out it's really hard to see your good points. if you think you got more, don't hesitate to mention them again and I'll respond.


I saw your post. i didn't understand it. Are you telling me that if translink doesn't get the ridership levels it is anticipated, Translink will have to pay SNC Lavalin? Could you run that one by me again? Why is that? And what's your source on that. I presume you're saying Translink needs to give SNC some percentage of the ticket money to help pay for the system, and that if they fall short they have to get the money elsewhere?


Okay...in that case I have to ask what makes you think RAV will fall below expectations in ridership levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Right, like that commerce parkway and inex pharmaceuticals have no bus access, and all the other claims of yours that i have thorougly destroyed.


Which claims may that be? Or do you think by simply replying to my concerns without any solid backup that you think you are automatically correct? And I have yet to hear you prove that Inex Pharmeceuticals have bus access...
So what you're telling me is you don't even read my posts eh? Because quite clearly in post:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=473
I say:
Quote:
Inex Pharmaceuticals.
200-8900 Glenlyon Parkway
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5J 5J8

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=8900+G...0.321590&hl=en

May I recommend bus #116? You can catch it at the Metrotown skytrain station. Skytrain is easily gotten to from almost anywhere.
http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/map..._Route_Map.pdf


Wally give this up, it's getting sad how utterly and completely full of shit you are.

Quote:
Oh yeah....the city of Vancouver is limited to false creek.
Did I say that? I said "ESPECIALLY" false creek? Why? because that's how it is. It has nothing to do with being the ONLY thing in Vancouver.

For instance. A major developer in Dubai saw the development around false creek, and created an artificial inlet on the outskirts of dubai that was dredged out, and started building projects around it in an imitation of Vancouver. This was on the discovery channely many months ago.


I'm sorry, please show me where on that site it talks about other cities looking to Portland for ideas or inspiration on Urban Planning


So portland is a leader in green development. Environmentally friendly. Okay.
Props on that. Really, no sarcasm.

Still. Compared to Vancouver that's like auditioning for a role that Brad Pitt is also up for when the highlight of your resume is "Busboy #2 in X-files episode 93"

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
jesus christ give it up already. I have already established you're full of shit. Stop the bitching. You're only making yourself look worse.



LOL! More like the other way around. You must be smoking some serious stuff to think that way. Whatever your smoking, I want some!!!!
It's quite sad, Wally. you have no case.

It goes like this:

You: "<bullshit claim>"
Me: "You're full of shit and here's why...<explanation for why you're full of shit, often as simple as a link to the translink bus route map>" (this bolded part is very important.)
You: "Hahaha actually it's YOU that's full of shit." (as you can see there's no bolded part, because you never explain it. You just subscribe to the 3rd grade philosophy of "i know you are but what am i".




Quote:
Again, full of shit. Do you have documentation that your fellow riders agree with you?

Or did you just assume that and expect everyione else to believe you. And you must be a big fan of Glen Clark. It is he who forced the Millenium Line to be Skytrain.
If you were taking a rapid transit line that allowed you to take a 15 minute trip that would otherwise take you at least twice as long by bus....and you were taking it with a train full of people in the exact same situation as you....and you were very very glad that you had this line to cut your trip time down a lot...wouldn't you assume that the others felt the same way?


I mean if I'm in a candy store with 200 other people, and the owner says "free candy for everyone", i COULD stop to think that perhaps maybe a couple people in the room are diabetic and as such are in no way excited like I am. But that would be stupid. Instead, it'd be logical to suppose that everone is enjoying the prospect of free chocolate.



Quote:
Let me guess...Pacific Blue Cross? BCAA? Telus? I know for a fact that you are lying. I did some consulting work for Xenon and took the Millenium Line myself connecting to the number 25 bus to get off by the Creo building and Electronic Arts CANADIAN Regional HQ (not the corporate HQ that some silly Vancouver forumers would claim). It was never full and this was during school days.
You know for a fact that I'm lying? You've reached a new level of being full of shit.

A) I work for HSBC.
B) The train is full. Both in the morning rush hour and in the afternoon. It's no lie. I don't know how to back it up. Oh I could take a few pictures of crowded cars with barely any room to stand. You'd just say I took it during an event or when there was a train delay. But you know what? What the **** would you know? When was the last time you took this train?

I don't lie man. It's you that throws out the claims like that Inex pharmaceuticals has no bus access, etc. I don't lie. Never have I done so in this thread, and never will I do so.

Quote:
What can you expect from a 12 year old creme de la creme who knows nothing what he talked about and simply takes other people's opinion and claim it is his own. If your ally is this punk kid, its no wonder you are considered an idiot even by other Vancouver forumers like sukh. :
actualy it's you that sukh considers the idiot. read his post again you bird-brained chump.

As for Mr. X. - he IS a 12 year old kid. He DOES have problems making a coherent point sometimes. But he knows a lot more than you. And while that's not saying much, it should scare the living daylights out of you.

Last edited by npinguy; July 23rd, 2005 at 12:58 PM.
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #572
ssiguy2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 5,404
Likes (Received): 857

First, lets watch the language! Lets keep this reasoned and civil.

Second, I am EXTREMLY surprised that no one has commented on my previous views about Vancouverites VIEWS of transit. In Vancouver, like L.A. I think transit is seen as a last resort. You only take it if you have to, especially when you get out of the downtown core.
In eastern cities Tor/Mon/Ott it is seen as a real viable option regardless of your income or status. Even Calgarians seem a bit more open-minded about it.
Vancouverites have often left me with the impression that it is seen as a poor man's mode and they only take it becuase they don't have two cars.
There seems to be a stereotype of the people who use it here that you don't get back east.
Like I said, I think much of this is an L.A. view of transit............only if you HAVE to.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #573
crazyjoeda
Mac User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 6

^ Thats not true, I and alot of other people I know go out of our way to take transit because it is cheaper on gas and parking, and its not for lack of cars my family has 4. Most of my freinds in Vancouver Proper (I live in White Rock) take transit all the time because its more convinet then driving.

I plan to eventualy live near one of Vancouver's skytrain, LRT or Subway lines. In Vancouver a car is aliability not a convenience.
__________________
Vancouver, site of the next Winter Olympic Games in 2010!
British Columbia, Canada. "The best place on earth."
crazyjoeda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM   #574
Ringil
The Big Cheese
 
Ringil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Uppsala-Stockholm region & Sčte
Posts: 1,722
Likes (Received): 32

i think its time to lock this thread
Ringil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #575
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod
 
queetz@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ortigas (Pasig City)
Posts: 3,656
Likes (Received): 3009

I'm not gonna bother responding to npinguy's posts in light of the warning from Chad, the moderator. But to confirm ssiguy2's post, groups like the Bus Riders Union and the fact that Skytrain was actually called a "loser cruiser" by the Vancouver Sun seems to support that transit over there is a poor man's mode. But I think the main reason why this is the case is it simply doesn't provide adequate coverage or decent service. Despite the traffic, transit is still slow and inconvenient for most of the residents of the GVRD and it will be like that despite the RAV Line since most residents don't live in the Westside of Vancouver or Richmond between now and forever as compared to other growth areas such as the Northeast region and Surrey. Rapid transit expansion should be concentrated to those areas first (and the Coquitlam Line is not guaranteed until the digging starts anyway). Your going to get stuck in traffic anyway so might as well do it in the comfort of your own private automobile.
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM   #576
Plumber73
I need coffee.
 
Plumber73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,442
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringil
i think its time to lock this thread
Are you the man with the iron fist? You know this discussion would just start up in a new thread.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:36 PM   #577
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 37,372
Likes (Received): 3688

I will say it again before close this thread, everyone should respect others opinion.

It's just a common sense that if you want people to respect you, you have to do that first
__________________
You have the right to remain silent, everything you say will be misquoted and used against you in the forum

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM   #578
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Please do not close the thread! So much information has been posted (mostly in the early topics) about the Vancouver transit system and we're nearing 29 pages, it would be a shame to close it.




TransLink would put video cameras on buses
Move depends on Transport Canada

Jonathan Fowlie
Vancouver Sun; With Canadian Press and Associated Press


Saturday, July 23, 2005

TransLink would seriously consider installing video cameras on buses and SkyTrain cars if Transport Canada recommends the move, a spokeswoman for the Lower Mainland's regional transit authority said Friday.

TransLink already has 750 cameras in SkyTrain stations, but because of privacy issues it has been reluctant to put them on the SkyTrain cars and transit buses.

That could all change in the heightened security aftermath of transit system bombings in London, which culminated in the police shooting death of a terror suspect Friday after apparent bombing attempts failed Thursday in the U.K. capital.

In the U.S., transit passengers in major cities were greeted Friday by legions of police and bomb-sniffing dogs patrolling trains and subways, following renewed fears of transit attacks in high-target American cities.

"It's a fine line we have to walk in trying to balance the needs of making sure it is safe to take transit," TransLink spokeswoman Susan Danard said Friday, "but also so people don't feel their privacy is invaded."

Danard added, however, that if Transport Canada recommends putting cameras on transit vehicles, it would be an issue TransLink would "look at seriously."

She also said a proposal is being considered to expand video coverage to include areas such as bus loops.

Danard said the new SkyTrain police force, which has 85 constables who are all expected to be carrying firearms by the end of September, is also on the lookout for suspicious activities. She said enforcement activity includes knapsack searches which are intended to reduce crime and guard against greater threats.

"Because of concerns around crime and security in general in Vancouver we've been trying to increase our presence on the system with the armed transit police," Danard said. "It also, coincidentally, will help us with these broader threats that are more global in nature," she added.

Danard said TransLink has focused on anti-terrorism measures since the Madrid train bombings in March, 2004, and that it consistently works with Transport Canada and other Canadian transit systems to assess levels of security and preparedness.

Federally, installation of surveillance cameras on buses and subway cars is among anti-terrorism options being studied as part of a national review of transportation security, Canadian Press reported Friday.

The effectiveness of random bag searches and the presence of more uniformed officers at transit facilities will also be considered by a working group helping Transport Canada draft a new security blueprint, Canadian Press said.

Michael Roschlau, president of the Canadian Urban Transit Association, said there are three elements to the exercise -- preventing an attack, preparing for one, and dealing with the aftermath.

"We need to do what we can within reason to make our systems secure and to provide a reasonable level of confidence for the travelling public," said Roschlau, whose association represents most city transit systems across the country.

Roschlau recently spent a few hours with a consultant assisting the federally sponsored working group on public transit. A report from the group this fall will contribute to a federal blueprint on transport security to be published next year.

Closed-circuit cameras have helped British police identify people involved in bombings on the London transit system. In Canada the technology is generally limited to transit stations and platforms but the federally led study will examine placement aboard vehicles, Roschlau said.

"It would not surprise me if there would be more pressure to install more surveillance cameras on the systems, which to me makes sense," he said in an interview Friday.

Cameras would "make people feel more secure" and "allow for more eyes on the system" without necessarily bringing in more authorities to patrol stations and vehicles, he said.

"There's some very interesting technology that I think would make that kind of a concept effective. And admittedly it doesn't come cheap. So somehow we'll need to find the resources to do whatever comes out of this strategy."

Roschlau acknowledged the initiative raises privacy issues, but suggested people are becoming more used to being on camera. For instance, some taxis are now outfitted with surveillance devices for driver safety.

The working group will also explore:

pReplacement of standard garbage containers at transit stations with large, transparent plastic containers in which it is difficult to conceal a bomb;

pMaking stations generally more terrorist-proof by ensuring there are no hidden corners where explosive devices might be hidden;

pRandom passenger searches, which have already been carried out in cities including Boston, New York and Washington;

pA greater police presence, or placement of special transit authorities, within systems.

Roschlau believes 100-per-cent security is unattainable.

"There are ways to minimize the risk, and I think that's really all we can do. There is no way that we can be absolutely foolproof in terms of securing the system. I think that's just unrealistic," he said.

"It's just not possible without almost paralysing the systems. The challenge is to find the tradeoff, to find the balance, which minimizes the risk without crippling the systems."

Another hurdle is finding the money for improvements.

The urban transit association wants the federal government to come forward with cash since it has primary responsibility for security and could ensure consistency across the country.

"There's no question that there will be a need for investment in this financially," Roschlau said.

"And I think there will be a certain expectation for the federal government to step up to the plate on this one."

In the U.S. $130 million US has been earmarked to improve public transit systems security.

TransLink's security and law enforcement division provides security and enforcement for Coast Mountain Bus, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express.

Translink carried 156 million paying riders aboard its services last year, according to its 2004 annual report.

Also See: A local family's close call, A12; London police gun down suspect, A13

© The Vancouver Sun 2005
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:01 PM   #579
Rainier Meadows
©
 
Rainier Meadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 47°N, 122°W
Posts: 1,556
Likes (Received): 3

great another informative thread gone bad!
__________________
Urban Enthusiast
Rainier Meadows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #580
mr.x
Ex-mod
 
mr.x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: █♣█ Vancouver
Posts: 7,931
Likes (Received): 486

Vancouver Public Transit 2.0

New topic, new start, and PEACE.




TransLink would put video cameras on buses
Move depends on Transport Canada

Jonathan Fowlie
Vancouver Sun; With Canadian Press and Associated Press


Saturday, July 23, 2005

TransLink would seriously consider installing video cameras on buses and SkyTrain cars if Transport Canada recommends the move, a spokeswoman for the Lower Mainland's regional transit authority said Friday.

TransLink already has 750 cameras in SkyTrain stations, but because of privacy issues it has been reluctant to put them on the SkyTrain cars and transit buses.

That could all change in the heightened security aftermath of transit system bombings in London, which culminated in the police shooting death of a terror suspect Friday after apparent bombing attempts failed Thursday in the U.K. capital.

In the U.S., transit passengers in major cities were greeted Friday by legions of police and bomb-sniffing dogs patrolling trains and subways, following renewed fears of transit attacks in high-target American cities.

"It's a fine line we have to walk in trying to balance the needs of making sure it is safe to take transit," TransLink spokeswoman Susan Danard said Friday, "but also so people don't feel their privacy is invaded."

Danard added, however, that if Transport Canada recommends putting cameras on transit vehicles, it would be an issue TransLink would "look at seriously."

She also said a proposal is being considered to expand video coverage to include areas such as bus loops.

Danard said the new SkyTrain police force, which has 85 constables who are all expected to be carrying firearms by the end of September, is also on the lookout for suspicious activities. She said enforcement activity includes knapsack searches which are intended to reduce crime and guard against greater threats.

"Because of concerns around crime and security in general in Vancouver we've been trying to increase our presence on the system with the armed transit police," Danard said. "It also, coincidentally, will help us with these broader threats that are more global in nature," she added.

Danard said TransLink has focused on anti-terrorism measures since the Madrid train bombings in March, 2004, and that it consistently works with Transport Canada and other Canadian transit systems to assess levels of security and preparedness.

Federally, installation of surveillance cameras on buses and subway cars is among anti-terrorism options being studied as part of a national review of transportation security, Canadian Press reported Friday.

The effectiveness of random bag searches and the presence of more uniformed officers at transit facilities will also be considered by a working group helping Transport Canada draft a new security blueprint, Canadian Press said.

Michael Roschlau, president of the Canadian Urban Transit Association, said there are three elements to the exercise -- preventing an attack, preparing for one, and dealing with the aftermath.

"We need to do what we can within reason to make our systems secure and to provide a reasonable level of confidence for the travelling public," said Roschlau, whose association represents most city transit systems across the country.

Roschlau recently spent a few hours with a consultant assisting the federally sponsored working group on public transit. A report from the group this fall will contribute to a federal blueprint on transport security to be published next year.

Closed-circuit cameras have helped British police identify people involved in bombings on the London transit system. In Canada the technology is generally limited to transit stations and platforms but the federally led study will examine placement aboard vehicles, Roschlau said.

"It would not surprise me if there would be more pressure to install more surveillance cameras on the systems, which to me makes sense," he said in an interview Friday.

Cameras would "make people feel more secure" and "allow for more eyes on the system" without necessarily bringing in more authorities to patrol stations and vehicles, he said.

"There's some very interesting technology that I think would make that kind of a concept effective. And admittedly it doesn't come cheap. So somehow we'll need to find the resources to do whatever comes out of this strategy."

Roschlau acknowledged the initiative raises privacy issues, but suggested people are becoming more used to being on camera. For instance, some taxis are now outfitted with surveillance devices for driver safety.

The working group will also explore:

pReplacement of standard garbage containers at transit stations with large, transparent plastic containers in which it is difficult to conceal a bomb;

pMaking stations generally more terrorist-proof by ensuring there are no hidden corners where explosive devices might be hidden;

pRandom passenger searches, which have already been carried out in cities including Boston, New York and Washington;

pA greater police presence, or placement of special transit authorities, within systems.

Roschlau believes 100-per-cent security is unattainable.

"There are ways to minimize the risk, and I think that's really all we can do. There is no way that we can be absolutely foolproof in terms of securing the system. I think that's just unrealistic," he said.

"It's just not possible without almost paralysing the systems. The challenge is to find the tradeoff, to find the balance, which minimizes the risk without crippling the systems."

Another hurdle is finding the money for improvements.

The urban transit association wants the federal government to come forward with cash since it has primary responsibility for security and could ensure consistency across the country.

"There's no question that there will be a need for investment in this financially," Roschlau said.

"And I think there will be a certain expectation for the federal government to step up to the plate on this one."

In the U.S. $130 million US has been earmarked to improve public transit systems security.

TransLink's security and law enforcement division provides security and enforcement for Coast Mountain Bus, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express.

Translink carried 156 million paying riders aboard its services last year, according to its 2004 annual report.

Also See: A local family's close call, A12; London police gun down suspect, A13

© The Vancouver Sun 2005


----------------------------------------------

I think it's a good idea to install cameras onto buses, not only in Vancouver but in all the major transit networks across the country. It shouldn't be locally funded, it should be federally funded.
__________________
"My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is NOT a porn star." - Abe Simpson

"Preparations for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are progressing so well, it's boring. We'd like there to be some challenges, so we [the IOC] could shout at them." - IOC (Sept. 2007)


"In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake. In the US you call them unpatriotic, and in Canada you call them racist."

Last edited by mr.x; July 24th, 2005 at 10:19 AM.
mr.x no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium