daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #741
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

"Olympic Line" would have been a nice complement to "Expo Line". I suspect that the name "Olympic Line" was not considered because the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and its constituent national organizations jealously guard the use of the word "Olympic". There have been exceptions such as "Olympic Airways", perhaps grandfathered, and "Special Olympics". A few years ago, the "Gay Olympics" was forced to become the "Gay Games".
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #742
Superman

Likes (Received): 0

It better not be the evergreen line. I hate the name Canada line, think of something better. RAV itself is a much better name then those two,
Superman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #743
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

I was looking at some transit maps and I think that this new LRT could be the start of somthing big. Imagin and eastern light rail network linking the Couquitlams with Surrey and Langley. The new Portmann bridge will have a provition for a light rail. It would be great the much higher capacity Skytrain and subway for the denser innercity and a good light rail network for the less dense eastern suburbs. I doubt the cost for LRT to Langley and Surrey would be much more than 2billion, which IMO represents good value.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #744
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Not bad, $1.9 billion for 19 km Canada Line, looking to move 100K per day by 2010. This is definately a good fit.

I am definately surprised regarding the street grid LRT line. If it is possibily the start of something big as Crazy points out, then it'll definately be interesting to see the development and future plans.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #745
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Today's Province indicates that Translink will order a new Seabus in 2006 for delivery in 2008.

The Vancouver Sun also reports that Translink will be ordering 34 new Skytrain cars in 2006 for delivery in 2008. These would be MKII cars for service on the Expo and Millennium Lines.

The Millennium Line VCC-Clark Station (finally) opens on January 6th, 2006. A new express bus route will originate from the new station to UBC, with initial (bus) service levels at every 15 minutes.
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #746
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
A new express bus route will originate from the new station to UBC, with initial (bus) service levels at every 15 minutes.
Hopefully it will take the same route as the current B-Line to Broadway station. This way it could distribute the passenger load between people who want to take the expo and millenium line bus wise (going eastbound in the mornings is a pain in the ass, as every 4th B-Line actually stops, and is often 100% full)

Btw, I have posted some pics in the last couple of weeks of construction of the RAV Line:
link
link 2
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #747
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56
Hopefully it will take the same route as the current B-Line to Broadway station. This way it could distribute the passenger load between people who want to take the expo and millenium line bus wise (going eastbound in the mornings is a pain in the ass, as every 4th B-Line actually stops, and is often 100% full)

Btw, I have posted some pics in the last couple of weeks of construction of the RAV Line:
link
link 2
No it's not going to use Broadway.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #748
Mr.JACOB

Likes (Received): 13

Mayby it will be this one http://www.rotem.co.kr/ and look for EMU
Mr.JACOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM   #749
wykydron88
BANNED

i dont get it, how does the millenium line go. once it gets to VCC does it go back onto the regular route and does it run the whole expo route too?
wykydron88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #750
zonie

This map doesn't have VCC-Clark station on it yet, but the line is like a large, open (but crossed-over) loop. One end is VCC-Clark->Commercial Drive->Renfrew, then it goes along, joining the Expo line at Columbia. At that point, yes, it follows the Expo line all the way to Waterfront.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #751
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wykydron88
i dont get it, how does the millenium line go. once it gets to VCC does it go back onto the regular route and does it run the whole expo route too?
I would think VCC would just become the terminus stations, and Commercial Drive will turn into a "normal" station (compared to switching tracks to go to the proper side). As its coming back it would join into the Expo line at Columbia and become just like any other Expo line train. If you are coming from downtown and heading eastbound, any station before Columbia will display if it is an Expo or Millenium line train. Once the Millenium train passes Columbia, it is switched onto another track that travels to Commercial, while the Expo train would continue over the bridge to Surrey (the original Expo line).
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM   #752
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
If its such a good deal, then why are GVRD taxpayers, including those who live in West Vancouver, Maple Ridge, etc are on the hook if the 100k ridership a day does not materialize? Ridership forecasts is the hardest part to predict in ANY transit project and given that it is required that there are 100k ppl using RAV a day for the next 35 years (I'm assuming this includes weekends and holidays), why this is passed to the GVRD taxpayers is beyond me. I hope municipalities getting shafted do the right thing and separate from this poorly managed region. A fair PPP project should pass the risks entirely to the private consortium since it is they that would ultimately profit from it.
You are absolutly wrong. Greater Vancouver needs to act as a unit. Anything that benefits one area is good for the entire body. This municipalities & cities needing to act individually is such bull shit.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM   #753
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

I agree. However, if Greater Vancouver is to act as an united body, the Westside NIMBYs have to go. By allowing them to promote their own interests (aka, turning Vancouver into an oversized resort-town), we're effectively destroying the RAV line's potential and promoting LA style sprawl.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #754
officedweller

The reason that ridership risks remain partly with Translink is because Translink would not give up its control of the factors that determine ridership (i.e. fares, operating hours, frequency and routes of feeder bus routes, etc.).
Translink would probably have been able to sign off on all risk - BUT ONLY IF IT ALSO GAVE UP ALL CONTROL.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by Hollywoodnorth over at SSP:

Posted by djh over at SSP:

More transit options for Vancouver College and UBC students
Jan, 06 2006 - 8:40 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - Good news for both Vancouver Community College and UBC students.

They now have another option to get to school, with the opening of the new VCC/Clark Skytrain station this morning.

Translink spokesperson Ken Hardie says the final stop on the Millennium Line is just blocks from the college campus, and is the launch point for a new bus service out to UBC: the number 84. “This new station and the new bus route the number 84, will be especially good for students who otherwise get off the train at commercial drive, head upstairs to the 99,” said Hardie. “All they need now to do is to stay on for one more station and catch the new bus that starts running this morning.”
Hardie says the new Skytrain station is also the starting point for an eventual Rapid Transit Line along the Broadway corridor to UBC.
He says preliminary work is already underway on options for that service.

++++++++++++++++++++++

New SkyTrain station opens at VCC and Clark
January 06, 2006 - 9:00 am
By: News1130 Staff

A new SkyTrain station has opened near Vancouver Community College and Clark this morning. The new station will provide a link to the number 84 bus that will hopefully relieve some of the pressure from the B-Line at Broadway and Commercial. Ken Hardie with TransLink says it's just part of an overall plan to improve rapid transit throughout the region. Hardie adds TransLink is hoping Vancouver will have the largest rapid transit network in the country by 2009. He says the new station shares it's distinctive raised look with other stops along the Millenium Line. The VCC/Clark station came in under budget at around $20 million.

Last edited by officedweller; January 6th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.
officedweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #755
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

A perplexing question is the selection of LRT for the Coquitlam/Evergreen Line. There are a couple of reports that detail the rationale for this decision:

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/boa.../4.1report.pdf

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/boa...4.1attachc.pdf

The reports compare four transit technologies:

1. Skytrain (Automated, Grade-Separated Rail)
2. LRT (Light Rail)
3. GLT (Guided Rubber-Tired Trams)
4. DMU (Diesel Multiple Units)

The report considered both a northwest corridor and a southeast corridor. The DMU option was viable only for a southeast corridor, which was not the final route selected. The following numbers are for the chosen northwest corridor route:

Travel Times, Coquitlam City Center to Millennium Line
Skytrain: 13 minutes
LRT: 23 minutes*
GLT: 25 minutes*
* Includes walk and wait time for transfer to Millennium Skytrain Line for LRT and GLT.

New Transit Riders
Skytrain: 2600
LRT: 2100
GLT: 2000

Maximum Transit Riders per Hour - Peak Direction
Skytrain: 5900
LRT: 2600
GLT: 2100

Capital Costs
Skytrain: $840 million
LRT: $670 million
GLT: $285 million

Annualized Capital and O&M Cost per Passenger Boarding
Skytrain: $4.30
LRT: $6.95
GLT: $4.10

Benefit/Cost Ratio (Average)
Skytrain: 0.8
LRT: 0.7
GLT: 1.4

An examination of the numbers would not have led one to expect that LRT would be the chosen technology. After presenting the comparisons, the reports state that Skytrain was eliminated as an option due to the high initial cost and GLT was eliminated because it is a relatively new and proprietary technology.

Last edited by greg_christine; January 8th, 2006 at 03:12 AM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #756
officedweller

Yup - cost was the driving force - plus the City of Port Moody - centred along the proposed line - had a referendum, the results of which opposed an elevated Skytrain line through the city. Now they'll get at-grade LRT through Port Moody.
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #757
zonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
The VCC/Clark station came in under budget at around $20 million.
Amazing considering it took something like a year longer than planned.
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #758
officedweller

Probably more like 3 years longer - due to a dispute with Burlington Northern Santa Fe about a right-of-way over their land. I think most of the guideway in the Cut was already built - so it was just the guideway west of Clark Drive and the station house that would have been built under current increased construction costs.
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #759
zonie

Triple-wow then!

I was just trying to think of the first time it was announced the station was supposed to open, while it was actually under construction.
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #760
j4893k
I'm a Registered User

Does anybody have pics of the new station?

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver