daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #921
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

I guess this happens in every city...
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #922
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x
^ The thing is most of the rolling stock is already in service.....what's left in the maintenance yard is for back ups in case trains break. There are 210 SkyTrain cars today, and Translink will order an additional 47 Mark II's by 2010.
Is this to replace the MKIs or to increase frequency? Either way, tell them they should order trains with transverse seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie
Definitely... I think it's about $3 million each. But the seniors are tough customers!
true, I'll try see how many seats KL's MKIIs have and maybe it is a comparable amount to the Sky Train's? KL's system has designated seats for the seniors and those with wheelchairs (the seat folds up). Is that the case in Vancouver? Pleased to say, Malaysians in KL do give up their seats to those in need. Nice to see them do that. And not just one person, 4 or 5.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #923
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

If they installed those types of seats, I would not take the Skytrain anymore. Nothing is worse than taking a B-Line bus and having to sit in one of those seats facing the person right in front of you (and having a staring contest with them). Not to mention someones ass when the bus is full. Thankfully Translink considers the human element, rather than how much "livestock" can fit in a "cattle car."
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #924
dchengg
davidchengg

^ well the point of doing that to the seats are to make more space so then more people can fit inside of the trains. when its full i dont think you'll be having a staring contest. and when its not rush hour, you can sit anywhere in the train or you can jus stand
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #925
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Millions of commuters for decades in Tokyo and London don't seem to have a problem with transverse seating. This is where reading or closing your eyes to catch up on some kip comes in handy. A commuter learning process I'm sure Vancouverites can adapt to. Living in both cities I got used to it quite quickly and after time you take no notice of it. Look at the floor.
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:28 AM   #926
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Wow....
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM   #927
splashflash

Likes (Received): 0

Some Kingway #19 drivers had a habit of incessant talking on cell phones.
splashflash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM   #928
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
I am not sure of the reasons that drivers are provided onboard the Toronto trains.
Think unions.
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #929
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

you guys have the time on your tickets?? like how does it expire and like what's the system?
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:36 AM   #930
zivan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki
you guys have the time on your tickets?? like how does it expire and like what's the system?
Yes, it lasts 90 minutes and you can take any transit services (except the Westcoast Express) in that zone. The fare system used is just a disposable paper card with a magnetic strip.
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:02 AM   #931
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

I don't take the bus much, but I think you get unlimited zones on weekends. The bus drivers I've experienced have been fine. You'll get the odd one in a bad mood, but that's life.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:11 AM   #932
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Allow me to counter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56
If they installed those types of seats, I would not take the Skytrain anymore. Nothing is worse than taking a B-Line bus and having to sit in one of those seats facing the person right in front of you (and having a staring contest with them). Not to mention someones ass when the bus is full. Thankfully Translink considers the human element, rather than how much "livestock" can fit in a "cattle car."
The Sky Train is a quick means to get around Vancouver. Like it or not, transverse or longitudinal seating, you would take it. It doesn't make sense both from the viewpoint of time and economically to take several buses to get from point A to point B when the reason for doing so, is to avoid a "staring contest".

You seem to have a preconcieved notion of staring at someone's ass when the train/bus is full. Maybe its due to your own experience, but so far, in the metro systems I have used, I have never had that happen. People usually face you or stan sideways.

The metro trains here all have transverse seating ever since they started operation. People do not have a problem with it either. Most usually sleep, or look at other things. Choosing where to look is a decision made by you. Its not as though other commuters would stare back at you either. The mind is the limitation.

It also makes economic sense for the operator. More people in a car, would mean more revenue and when revenue is able to fully cover all costs, profit. In KL, the rail operator of the MKIIs is now extending their line, which will be paid for partly by the profits earned.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:22 AM   #933
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Here is the ticket. On the reverse is the date, expiry time, zone issued, no. of zones to travel in and value. There is also a heap of printed material which is the conditions of use, phone numbers, etc. It's given to you from an electronic farebox when you get on the bus or if you already have one then you insert it into a slot.

[IMG]http://i1.************/ruzfo6.jpg[/IMG]
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:25 AM   #934
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Yup, I know what that's like. That's when you need to catch up on some reading, or stare at your crotch. Whatever fits your fancy.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM   #935
dchengg
davidchengg

those ticket machines are SLOW... it goes like chaaa see cha see... chaa seee BEEP and about the weekends... you may be happy about unlimited areas but you might not be happy with the frequency and as for phones, seatbelts is sometimes the problem
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM   #936
dchengg
davidchengg

Skytrain: From Main Street Stn. to Stadium

Have you been on the skytrain from station Main Street station and to stadium, about it dives and turns, have you noticed it seems to "swing" the train a bit before it announces the station?

sometimes when i forget about the "swing" and know that were approaching the station, i let go and sometimes lose my balance >.<

Last edited by dchengg; March 21st, 2006 at 09:02 AM. Reason: more detailed topic
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM   #937
dchengg
davidchengg

Quote:

well then i beleive you didnt take the skytrain before the year 2001 before the minellium trains were in service because most part of the train was along the wall
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM   #938
zivan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchengg
well then i beleive you didnt take the skytrain before the year 2001 before the minellium trains were in service because most part of the train was along the wall
No, MKI cars have 1/2 normal seats and 1/2 of those. I wait for a MKI trains in the mornings due to the fact that I am usually the only person that gets in the very last car. Its also nicer since it has better seats and and more leg room in some cases.
For anybody calling trips "quick" enough to stand for, you have never gone from downtown Vancouver to Surrey every day. Even the sitting is not comfortable due to terrible seats in the MKII's.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM   #939
zivan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchengg
Have you been on the skytrain from station Main Street station and to stadium, about it dives and turns, have you noticed it seems to "swing" the train a bit before it announces the station?

sometimes when i forget about the "swing" and know that were approaching the station, i let go and sometimes lose my balance >.<

Why is this a new topic? You might want to post little details in a broader thread instead of creating a new one.

It "swings" the train because the LIM motor reverses direction and starts to slow the train down; combined with the turn, physics explains the rest...
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM   #940
zivan56

I only take the B-Line, so I usually just hop in the back (so I don't even see the driver, as I have a monthly pass). Sometimes they won't open the back doors at Commercial if they don't feel like it, but thats extremely rare.

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver