daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #981
splashflash

Likes (Received): 0

Think about it - buses have to go to and from UBC several times each morning, so you cannot avoid the relatively empty eastbound buses in mornings and westbound buses in afternoons.
splashflash no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #982
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

well.. since everyday there are the similar amount of passengers, they can do some calcaulations.. like how many people per bus and their frequency.. etc... or they can give designated UBC buses for the students like for example: a student is designated for bus number: VR0002 and they only board on that bus... so its like a tour bus
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM   #983
dchengg
davidchengg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e95NI8OIajo

i found a video on the minellium line from Commercial Drive station to brentwood station, you can feel how it is to be inside a skytrain!

**Credits to the maker of that video
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM   #984
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

There is a new bus service from VCC, the new station to UBC. It might even be a express bus. Until they build the skytrain extension they could alwas have a new b line route going along 2nd avenue up to 4th and on its way to ubc.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:24 AM   #985
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

That 99B thing still running? Frightened the life out of me when I used to commute 14Km of its route -- its swinging around alongside trucks was what floored me, once it clipped one alongside it. When I lived there in the 1990s, I joined some public transport lobby group, but gave up on them after the first meeting coz they didn't want to compromise their standing by advocating rail over busses -- I'd still bet that group's lumping transit users onto busses.

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:53 AM   #986
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Vancouver was the only city whose transit complaint line was always being phoned by me. Bus drivers there ought to be retrained coz they were hard on the accelerator and brakes at bus stops (but real gentle on either one of those pedals from and to red traffic signals). I saw many people suddenly fall down on busses there, plus I knew three people while living there who got injured from being thrown around by lazy driving -- the whole city there has a lot of growing up to do....

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 04:48 AM   #987
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchengg

i found a video on the minellium line from Commercial Drive station to brentwood station, you can feel how it is to be inside a skytrain!

Thank you for providing the link!

One thing that is immediately apparent from the videos is how short the headways are between trains. I watched video #10 (6 min, 48 sec) and video #9 (8 min, 37 sec). The former video features a trip that encompasses five stations during which three trains are seen passing in the opposite direction. The latter video features a trip that encompasses six stations during which four trains are seen passing in the opposite direction.

This is one of the great advantages of a totally automated system. If the trains required drivers, the transit authority would be tempted to reduce labor costs by operating longer trains at longer headways. The station platforms are long enough to accommodate trains of twice the length. Due to the system being totally automated, there is no significant cost penalty for operating short trains at very tight headways, which certainly benefits the public by reducing time spent in the stations waiting for trains.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:41 AM   #988
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:

Nice find! Thanks for the link.

Anyone have any idea why KL's MKIIs are louder than Vancouver's noise wise? Here's a link to a video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7cbA4NHgpM

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM   #989
dchengg
davidchengg

its because its in the tunnel

and when its in the air... its because the wheels and the tracks

Last edited by dchengg; April 1st, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM   #990
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
its because its in the tunnel
I saw a video of the SkyTrain between Burrard and Waterfront which is also in a tunnel, KL's system sounds louder. Even on teh above ground section (the video link I posted shows two underground sections and 2 above ground stations). Oh well. Thanks again for the videos.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM   #991
ryanr
Registered non-User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv
There is a new bus service from VCC, the new station to UBC. It might even be a express bus. Until they build the skytrain extension they could alwas have a new b line route going along 2nd avenue up to 4th and on its way to ubc.
Yes, the 84
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:48 AM   #992
zonie

It's a point of honour to stay standing on a Vancouver bus ride. Those who cannot are shunned... badly.

The trick is to bend your knees.

Last edited by zonie; April 1st, 2006 at 09:56 AM.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:53 AM   #993
zonie

Here's one that's at least a wee bit better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_e_WXtMd8Ig&search=skytrain

At least the camera is at the front seat.
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM   #994
zivan56

Skytrain switchback + WestCoast Express

Lots of good vids there
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM   #995
dchengg
davidchengg

well i dont think you exepct seniors to be stand and holding on, it makes me feel that theyre like risking their lives going on a bus
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM   #996
zonie

Yeah, you're right about that. That's why I always head to the back of the bus even if there's no seats there.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:04 AM   #997
dchengg
davidchengg

well we know that you do that, but people other than you dont do that.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #998
arashi_1987

Quote:
well.. since everyday there are the similar amount of passengers, they can do some calcaulations.. like how many people per bus and their frequency.. etc... or they can give designated UBC buses for the students like for example: a student is designated for bus number: VR0002 and they only board on that bus... so its like a tour bus
So...that must have been the 99S (99 Special "non-stop" to UBC) that Translink got rid of earlier this year with the implementation of the 84 (which only attracts so many people...and becoming a not-as-frequent, alternative for UBC students to and from VCC Skytrain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv
That's such a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
That 99B thing still running? Frightened the life out of me when I used to commute 14Km of its route -- its swinging around alongside trucks was what floored me, once it clipped one alongside it. When I lived there in the 1990s, I joined some public transport lobby group, but gave up on them after the first meeting coz they didn't want to compromise their standing by advocating rail over busses -- I'd still bet that group's lumping transit users onto busses.

Cheers,
Chris
Are you not living in the city anymore? (The traffic here is so bad, it must of driven you away... ). I can still sort of remember...when the 99B Line used to run along Lougheed Highway in Burnaby...correct me if I am wrong. Had the Millenium Line replaced part of the 99B line? When was it that they decided to replace that portion of the 99B with skytrain? Do you (or anyone else...) also know why they hadn't extended it west down Broadway back then? Thanks.

------------

It looks like some of the posts here have been pointing to and agree with more "express bus services", rapid bus routes, and initiatives like that... This is exactly why I believe Skytrain/rail should come in. Translink has made many "improvements" to make east-west buses (i.e. 99B) more efficient. I'd agree they have more or less been successfull but now there are more and more riders along that route and it appears that it has come to a point where buses can no longer handle the situation. And Translink does not appear to have plans to improve the 99B (although I am aware of improvements such as adding "next bus arrival time" signs, maps, and nicer bus stops, etc...they don't address the issues I am concerned with...).

Last edited by arashi_1987; April 2nd, 2006 at 11:55 AM.
arashi_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:03 PM   #999
alesmarv

I remeber about 6 years ago I lived in a duplex and my neighbour was a vancouver bus driver, and an alcoholic. I remeber one time he pulled in hammered draging a construction barikade behind his truck and several pilons underneath it, two minuits later these construction workers pulled up all pissed of looking for their stuff. To tell you the truth I realy didnt want to catch a bus after that...for all I know he might have been one of those driver who got fired recently for being drunk on the job.

Other than that the drivers are pretty decent in Vancouver.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM   #1000
alesmarv

The millenium line should have been extended to atleast Arbutus by now, and I would be disapointed if they dont find the money to start its construction by 2010 (after the olympics and the other two lines are finished). Infact they should find a way to extend it all the way to UBC if they could and charge drivers extra for entering UBC lands(like in London), this would be easy since there are only 3 or 4 roads leading to UBC and would raise some money for the project and push more people to use transit. In 1992 they said there were 12,000 people traveling to UBC(via transit) daily, and now they say that number has increased 163% since their 1997 report. This would mean there are over 30,000 people taking transit to UBC right now, and the University is building housing to accomodate 14,000 more people within a decade, not to mention that the student enrolment is growing. Now you take that 30,000 and multiply it by 2 to give you the daily transit ridership to and from UBC and you have over 60,000(with out rapid transit) and growing. Im pretty sure this number would justify building a skytarain line directly to UBC since the whole Milenium line only has 55,000 riders a day(mind you I think they might still be loosing money), and the Canada line is projected to have 100,000 riders daily when built(obviously making a profit for the operator). Mind you there are people from Richmond and South Vancouver that would still be taking buses via Marine drive I wouldent be supprised if a line to UBC wouldent attract close to 100,000 riders daily by 2020 combined with the right initiatives(such as charging a levy to enter the grounds). Also a good idea would be to implement something like a sea bus going from West Vancouver to UBC to Richmond and maybe to Ladner or the ferry terminal, however I have know idea if this would be feasabel but if it would it would defenitly make life easier for alot of people and at the same time increase ridership in the UBC corridor.

Last edited by alesmarv; April 2nd, 2006 at 01:08 PM.

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver