daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #141
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

An intermediate unit (a "C" unit) can be inserted into the middle of the existing MKII ("A+B") married pairs - but I don't think that they can form a long continuous train of (A+C+C+C+C+B) units. Reports I've read on-line refer to combining an (A+C+B) train with an (A+B) pair to form an (A+C+B)-(A+B) train that will fit on existing platforms (maybe with the noses hanging past the platform ends).

Expo Line stations are designed to enable lengthening of the platform to the length of 8 MKI cars (I don't know what that is in MKIIs).

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #142
EastVanGuy

Likes (Received): 0

The MK I cars are 12.3 metres long and the MK II are 17.3 metres long. I'm guessing that the Expo line stations would probally be extendable to 100m because an 8 car MK I is 98.4 metres long. I think it would be a close call for a 6 car MK II becasue that comes out to 103.8 metres long and they could have their noses sticking out.
EastVanGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #143
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Geez, can you imagine in 40 years, when MKIIII comes out, you'll hope the they will still be building cars that can fit on MKII and are more intergrateable. But I guess by then HRT, and ALRT tech will basically be one with very little, or no distinction between the 2.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #144
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch5220
Um, no, GO trains non-peak run every hour. So commutter train wise, RAV takes it. RAV frequencies are more like the TTC subway, where non peak trains run 4-5 minutes (assumming no backloging happens - ie, you'll have to wait for a train, but then they come in droves), which is why RAV is a hybrid commutter/rapid transit line.
Im not talking about go trains, Subway was always very infrequent when I was there, but it was compensated by having long trains. I don't mean this to offend you its the truth. In Vancouver Skytrain is auto and can have trains running every 45seconds (only for events). The TTC has drivers and people make mistakes and also have to be paid so it is safer and cheaper to have longer less frequent trains.

Iv used Toronto's subway during rushhour and I had to wait between 5-15 minutes for a train every time. Compared with Skytrains automatic system where the rush hour wait is pretty consistent at 2min and none peak hour is 5 the most you will ever wait is 8min.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #145
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

^ Sounds like you were stuck in a delay. This happens when people take longer than expected to board the trains, especially since rush hour, where so many people are on the platform. Once one train's late, all the others are slowed down or delayed outright, since there's a lot of trains on the track.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #146
Roch5220
My dog rules

^which is exactly what I stated, which is what he even quoted. The non-peak times are 4-5 minutes, except for sheppard which is 5-6 minutes (or even 7). We've all waited long times for backed up subways, but we all have missed one, and then jumped on one was right behind.

"Iv used Toronto's subway during rushhour and I had to wait between 5-15 minutes for a train every time"

Sure you have. Based upon your creditability, you'll say anything to backup your point.

Van really needs the streetcar. There is very little 'rapid transit' as Sissguy2 likes to call it that services downtown. Which is why the system is a hybrid commutter/rapid transit in function. Like the SRT as sisguy pointed out, only that it goes downtown.

"Iv used Toronto's subway during rushhour and I had to wait between 5-15 minutes for a train every time. Compared with Skytrains automatic system where the rush hour wait is pretty consistent at 2min and none peak hour is 5 the most you will ever wait is 8min."

Peak times are 2-3 minutes for the subway. The skytrain does have the better benefit as you mention of automation. Skytrain is 2-4 minutes in peak (http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/...LAN=996&LA=996) however, I do know that sometimes skytrain can be as frequent as 90 seconds. Frequencies are slightly longer in Van that Toronto, but the relaibility of frequncie variences are in skytrains favour. I quite like skytrain teck and hope that GO seriously considers it as they are looking to have subway like frequencies. But I doubt my 'pipe dream' will come true as too expensive.

I wonder what the fastest frequency Skytrain can do. I bet its faster than any automated HRT due to slightly smaller capacity of each cabin car.

Last edited by Roch5220; June 16th, 2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #147
rt_0891

^ Missed that, sorry.

Quote:
Van really needs the streetcar. There is very little 'rapid transit' as Sissguy2 likes to call it that services downtown. Which is why the system is a hybrid commutter/rapid transit in function. Like the SRT as sisguy pointed out, only that it goes downtown.
Luckily, Vancouver's downtown is small, so it's still able to survive without a streetcar. However, a LRT line would really help enhance travel in the surrounding areas (kits, Cambie, Granville) to Downtown & Downtown itself. Bus services are sufficient at this time, since they're quite frequent.

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #148
Roch5220
My dog rules

^Thats what I thought originally. But I think the absence of such a network has forced people to drive. Heres why I think so:

Modes of transportation:

Total: 240K
Car/motor: 145K
Car - as passenger - 17K
Public Transit - 45K
Walk/bike - 43K
Other - 3K

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/prof...it%E9&ID=11930
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #149
rt_0891

Quote:
^Thats what I thought originally. But I think the absence of such a network has forced people to drive. Heres why I think so:

Modes of transportation:

Total: 240K
Car/motor: 145K
Car - as passenger - 17K
Public Transit - 45K
Walk/bike - 43K
Other - 3K

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/prof...it%E9&ID=11930

This is for the whole city proper though...all the way east to Boundary and South to Fraser. The reason why these neighbourhoods are so dependent on the car is that they're overhelmingly single-family suburban divisions that starts just south of Broadway and stretches all the way to the Fraser. This is the heart of Vancouver's NIMBY community, and the reason why the city has such low density outside of downtown. The only way to bring cost-efficent PT to the area is increasing density. Unfortunately, RAVs going through, but council has yet to increase density (thanks to NIMBYs and heritage boulevards).

Vancouver has nothing that is to the scale of Uptown Toronto.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #150
Roch5220
My dog rules

^I guess the only way we can break it down is to have the working/living pops downtown. Downtown is about just under half population of entire vancity right? A Vancity Loop could bring many more potential riders to the skytrain network, as well as to their own destinations.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #151
rt_0891

Quote:
^I guess the only way we can break it down is to have the working/living pops downtown. Downtown is about just under half population of entire vancity right? A Vancity Loop could bring many more potential riders to the skytrain network, as well as to their own destinations.
The NIMBYs wouldn't want it though, and it'll take forever pass through. I'm really hoping that the streetcar lines will become a reality in the near future. I'm having my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

The NIMBYs are against anything that would destroy their neighbourhood's "character", even if it's for their own good. Vancouver has too many rich people.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #152
Roch5220
My dog rules

Its weird. Areas like SF I think streetcars have added to the area. I guess to many proponents, NIMBYs including local merchants and drivers.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #153
rt_0891

Quote:
Its weird. Areas like SF I think streetcars have added to the area. I guess to many proponents, NIMBYs including local merchants and drivers.
To me, it seems that their biggest fear is that there'll be more people in the area thanks to the LRT and their neighbourhoods would no longer be as quiet as they once knew it as. Also, there'll be a bigger push for increasing density (to make the LRTs cost efficient & as downtown's land runs out), and that in turn would also ruin their "utopia". NIMBYs always fear the future. A doubt the majority of these NIMBYs are happy about RAV either, but given that they were able to win a battle and relocate RAV underground, they're bound to be a little less vocal about it.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #154
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

One good thing about the RAV is atleast it will rid the downtown of all the Richmond/Delta/WhiteRock/Ladner buses. That will be a godsend as there are simply too many suburban routes in the downtown right now.
One thing I will say for Translink is the bus service in the city of Vancouver is quite good. The most you wait on any route is 5 minutes.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #155
ssiguy2

Vancouver is poorly planned. No high density south of Broadway and no corridors for transit were made.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #156
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Quote:

"Iv used Toronto's subway during rushhour and I had to wait between 5-15 minutes for a train every time"

Sure you have. Based upon your creditability, you'll say anything to backup your point.
dude Im not making it up I remember once I waited 15min for a train at 4pm and my over all average was about 6min a train. Im not bashing Toronto's transit system, because that city has an excellent system.

Quote:
I wonder what the fastest frequency Skytrain can do. I bet its faster than any automated HRT due to slightly smaller capacity of each cabin car.
For the Sun Run (if you dont know its a massive run with over 50,000 people the 2nd biggest in NA) and the Fire Works competition they have them running every 45sec.
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #157
ssiguy2

BTW........someone wanted to know about SkyBus in Mumbai.
It like an elevated rail but in instead of the cars being on top of the rail they travel below and are attaced to the above rail line. They are not buses but more like coaches. Its a new Indian tech by Konkan Rail. Odd idea and doesn't have the capacity of SkyTrain. I beleive they are shelving it and if anything is to be built it would be SkyTrain not SkyBus.
Its pretty weird really but see for your self....... www.sky-bus-metro.com
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #158
EastVanGuy

Likes (Received): 0

^ interesting, looks just like a hanging maglev

RAV ground testing starts Monday
Jun, 15 2005 - 9:00 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - The company contracted to build the RAV line will soon begin geotechnical testing along sections of Number 3 Road in Richmond.
The purpose of the testing is to confirm ground conditions along the route.

The testing gets underway Monday and will continue for about five weeks.

Testing will be carried out between ten at night and ten in the morning, seven days a week.

Test holes will be drilled at about 70 metre intervals along the eastern-most northbound lane of Number 3 Road between Saba Road and Bridgeport.

Minimal testing will also take place on Charles Street and on private land

Credit HollywoodNorth on SSP
EastVanGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #159
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_0891
^ Missed that, sorry.

Luckily, Vancouver's downtown is small, so it's still able to survive without a streetcar. However, a LRT line would really help enhance travel in the surrounding areas (kits, Cambie, Granville) to Downtown & Downtown itself. Bus services are sufficient at this time, since they're quite frequent.
For a city of 2.3million Vancouver has a large downtown, bigger then Seattle and many similar and even larger sized cities. Downtown is definatly not walk able.

Did you not hear there are plans for an LRT/street car in time for the Olympics.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...tcar/index.htm
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #160
rt_0891

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda
For a city of 2.3million Vancouver has a large downtown, bigger then Seattle and many similar and even larger sized cities. Downtown is definatly not walk able.
Vancouver's downtown is limited to a peninsula+Stanley Park, so it's expected to be small. I like it small... allows for higher densities and keeps it on a human scale. I walk + rollerblade around downtown all the time. It's easily accessible by foot. Many times, I would either take the little ferries by false creek, or just walk from Yaletown to Downtown to West End. I don't think Vancouver should be in a race to become a big downtown. Instead, market demand & planning policies should dictate how it takes shape in the future at DTES & South of False Creek.

Quote:
Did you not hear there are plans for an LRT/street car in time for the Olympics.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...tcar/index.htm
Yes, when does construction start? Please tell me it's not stalled up at council.

Tags
british columbia, canada, vancouver